Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Bartzenegger
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0919161725a (resized).jpg
0812161851 (resized).jpg
0812161849b (resized).jpg
IMG_2226 (resized).JPG
IMG_2225 (resized).JPG
IMG_2228 (resized).JPG
IMG_2229 (resized).JPG
mr_magoo_(resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

There are numerous posts about all of the playfields with insert issues coming out of Stern recently. I am curious how many folks have recent Stern games with NO issues? If you can, list the date on the playfield, and approximately how many games you have so far. I'm especially interested in the GB Pro and LE models....are they all affected? Or just some?

My playfield date was July 7. About 160 games so far (3-ball), and no issues yet.

#2 2 years ago

Star Trek Pro , Built Sept '15 with near to 1000 plays . No playfield issues other than the odd dimpling but thats expected on all pins

#3 2 years ago

I have 30+ sterns, no play field issues.

#4 2 years ago

Every gb(including the premium), and SMVE I have personally seen has ghosting. Every last one of them.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Every gb(including the premium), and SMVE I have personally seen has ghosting. Every last one of them.

Same............Joey

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

I have 30+ sterns, no play field issues.

You bought 30+ games in the last 8 mos?

#7 2 years ago

I'm really scared to jinx myself by posting here...

#8 2 years ago

none of the late model sterns on location at my local bar - and all of them but WWE are there - have this issue.

#9 2 years ago

So far so good here.. bought all LE's from Kiss onwards plus a Spidey, and I have no real issues with any of them

#10 2 years ago

Ghostbusters Pro
--------------------------------------------
Playfield stamped May 17, 2016
Stern Sticker H5* Harold-Pro #952 of 985

Machine built July 7,2016
Machine unboxed July 15, 2016

Shaker motor installed on factory setting. It really shakes!!

25 days of play. Just a couple hundred games.
No ghosting issues.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from JDD:

Ghostbusters Pro
--------------------------------------------
Playfield stamped May 17, 20016
Stern Sticker H5* Harold-Pro #952 of 985
Machine unboxed July 15, 2016
25 days of play. Just a couple hundred games.
No ghosting issues.

Maybe the playfield maker was sober during that early July run, and ours are good! lol Thanks

#12 2 years ago

No issues here. GB LE playfield date June 14, machine built June 24, unboxed Juli 28. Shaker was always on. Total plays 86

I did notice when I took the apron off to put some mylar in the shooterlane that the clearcoat was glued to the apron. After removing the apron you could clearly see and feel the edge of the apron in the clearcoat.

edit: i did not really mean glued with glue, but rather it was sticking to the clearcoat

#13 2 years ago

Could it be as simple as inconsistent clear? Or too much hardener?

#14 2 years ago

Ghostbusters Pro

Playfield stamped May 19, 2016
Stern Sticker H5* Harold-Pro #937 of 985

No issues to report.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Didnt know the GB Premium was even being made yet. I've yet to see a GB Pro ghost and we have sold probably 20 with not one complaint. Out of the 14 LE's we have sold only one of the group had minor ghosting so far. Half were early and the other half were the newer LE's supposedly with a better playfield.

#16 2 years ago

I have a Met Pro with a 3/31/16 stamp on the playfield, no ghosting. I would not hesitate to buy another NIB.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from windsoreight:

Didnt know the GB Premium was even being made yet. I've yet to see a GB Pro ghost and we have sold probably 20 with not one complaint. Out of the 14 LE's we have sold only one of the group had minor ghosting so far. Half were early and the other half were the newer LE's supposedly with a better playfield.

There is a gb premium in Chicago, ghosted as fuck. Same with every pro. Beating a dead horse

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

There is a gb premium in Chicago, ghosted as fuck. Same with every pro. Beating a dead horse

Old prototype.

#19 2 years ago

I will post this here, because I was asked not to bring any differing opinions to the "are you serious" thread. In that thread, TheBlackKnightx said:

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Owners and potential buyers are deluding themselves if they think this remains an isolated problem affecting only a few machines.
"It won't happen to me."
Do people really believe the number of machines affected is less than 100?
That is not how playfield production works EVER.
Most of the first iteration sequence of LE/Premium playfields were cut, ink screened, insert bonded, prepped, and clear coated months ago.
Generally done in batches of 500-1000.
That means ALL these playfields will have some part of problem at one point of another in the future.
They did not "switch clear coat", "have a different batch of inserts from China", or "bad wood" in the middle of the sequence production.
Maybe for the entire production, but not individual playfields.
All parts of playfield production are received before production commences to ensure they have sufficient quantities.
That means if the same playfield production run is used for Premiums, the problem is going to return in a circle.
Don't believe me?
The same damn playfield problem happened with MET Premium in APR 2015 from a single run batch of PFs!
Playfield clear coat and ink screening problems, resulting in playfield artwork chipping.
They were the same source layout for games, so the playfields were used.
Look it up, read, educate, it happens.
Sometimes things get $#@!ed up, and corrections are required.
If you don't understand the process and really want to learn more, talk to CPR.
They have been dealing with these complexities on a non-commercial level for reproduction PFs for going on two decades.
That is why they have Gold, Silver, and Bronze standards!
READ THIS ENTIRE PAGE!
(If you are not familiar from people that experienced and passionate)
http://www.classicplayfields.com/standards.html

Want more?
Send me a PM, I will provide contacts, and perhaps they will be willing to explain how this works in length, as I will not try to do it here after 3000 posts.
Continued speculation and feeding paranoia.
"Pull my finger" or let Stern sort it out, and as some said "buy later".
I am going to straight up say it:
If you gamble right now, you are going to lose.

I don't know this person, but based on the posts I have read, he has obviously been around the business a long time, and he has an opinion that I respect. I am sure he is entirely correct in everything that he said here. However, he is not addressing the possibility that Stern stopped that run and requested replacement playfields for at least the GB games. We have no way of knowing for sure, but we all remember the long delay, and rumor had it they were getting new playfields shipped in. I have no idea if the date stamp really means anything, but the early shipped games had much earlier dates stamped on them. Given most of the early games all ghosted, I am betting he is correct that all of those early playfields will develop an issue. The jury is still out on the later runs. A few have seen problems, and some have not. Of course, if all of this is true, and I have no way of knowing if it is, there are a lot of playfields sitting at Stern that should not be used. MY hope is they aren't foolish enough to try and sneak them into a Premium....I doubt they are that dumb, but one never knows. I guess what I am saying is that I don't necessarily think ALL games so far are doomed. Maybe they are and I am completely wrong....if so, I am big enough to admit it. But for me to draw a definite conclusion, I would like to see more data.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

MY hope is they aren't foolish enough to try and sneak them into a Premium....I doubt they are that dumb, but one never knows.

Me too. If bad reports get out on the Premiums should be enough to get most to cancel a lot of the existing preorders. We already know a lot of people here already canceled.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Mine too. If bad reports get out on the Premiums should be enough to get most to cancel a lot of the existing preorders. We already know a lot of people here already canceled.

Lol, this is the jaded cop in me, but what we know is a lot of people have said they cancelled. Who knows if they really did, or if they ever had orders to begin with.

#22 2 years ago

I am yet to notice any problems on any of the recent Sterns I have played.

mr_magoo_(resized).jpg

#23 2 years ago

I looked at the GB pro on location near me today. No ghosting I could see. Game was on, glass installed so I can't guarantee none was present.

It's been there for months. No idea how many plays on it.

#24 2 years ago

Opened a new Metallica Pro this past weekend and nothing appears to be bad yet. Playfield was made June 8th in the year of 2016AD.

Will keep an eye on things to see if this changes...

1 month later
#25 2 years ago

My ghostbuster pinball showed up to my house with a rip in the side art any one have this issue ? The funny part is it's where the front panel meets with the side panel is where it splits will stern and cover this ?

IMG_2229 (resized).JPG

#26 2 years ago

IMG_2228 (resized).JPG

#27 2 years ago

IMG_2225 (resized).JPG

#28 2 years ago

IMG_2226 (resized).JPG

#29 2 years ago

I guess overlapping of the decals on the front corners is the new normal. I don't like the look.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I guess overlapping of the decals on the front corners is the new normal. I don't like the look.

It was but it was supposed to be changed a month ago.... guess they went back to old habits allready

#31 2 years ago

Is that a seam split in the wood above the decal? It's white not painted black. If it is split that would explain the decal crack. Take the lock bar off and post a top down close up picture of that seam.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Apparently the rest on here without any issues are a bunch of liars then?

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Is that a seam split in the wood above the decal? It's white not painted black. If it is split that would explain the decal crack. Take the lock bar off and post a top down close up picture of that seam.

I agree looks like the corner of the cabinet is separating. This for sure could cause the decal to rip.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I agree looks like the corner of the cabinet is separating. This for sure could cause the decal to rip.

He has to FORE SURE call his distributer. He has a defective cab that will only get worse the more it's moved and played.

#35 2 years ago

Yep..... seems a little ironic that its following the seam.

#36 2 years ago

I would say that the cabinet is cracked. My first Pro was damaged in shipping and looked just like that.0812161849b (resized).jpg My back box was also damaged. I think they dropped or scissor lifted the game during shipping. 0812161851 (resized).jpg This is what the decals look like on the replacement. Just thought I would toss that in to show no wrap around. The game was made mid August. 0919161725a (resized).jpg

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinnutz:

I would say that the cabinet is cracked. My first Pro was damaged in shipping and looked just like that. My back box was also damaged. I think they dropped or scissor lifted the game during shipping. This is what the decals look like on the replacement. Just thought I would toss that in to show no wrap around. The game was made mid August.

Damn that's bad and I take it the outside of the box looked perfect too so there was no way of telling there was damage like that UNTILL you signed for it and opened the box.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Damn that's bad and I take it the outside of the box looked perfect too so there was no way of telling there was damage like that UNTILL you signed for it and opened the box.

Yeah, the box looked perfect. Maybe some slight creases in the cardboard running vertically. That's what made me think they scissor lifted it and crushed it. The box on the second one was all beat up with a 4" hole in the top edge. The game was perfect though. Stern packages them pretty well. The freight guys have to work pretty hard to damage the game...

#39 2 years ago

My GB pro arrived with an Aug build date. No playfield issues.

Hope this helps.

#40 2 years ago

Hey so here's a up date on my GB pinball I called stern head quarters again last Friday, they said that they were going to take up my cabinet issue with there boss and will get back to me in Monday. The representative at first thought it was just a side decal issue but as he looked at a second picture I sent he said "wow that there is a definite crack there" so I'm hoping I can't get this issue fixed quickly I don't want to hold on to a defective cabinet to long were it can cause any further problems with the exchange process. I'll keep you updated as soon i hear from stern.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Ebi101:

Hey so here's a up date on my GB pinball I called stern head quarters again last Friday, they said that they were going to take up my cabinet issue with there boss and will get back to me in Monday. The representative at first thought it was just a side decal issue but as he looked at a second picture I sent he said "wow that there is a definite crack there" so I'm hoping I can't get this issue fixed quickly I don't want to hold on to a defective cabinet to long were it can cause any further problems with the exchange process. I'll keep you updated as soon i hear from stern.

New game is called for, don't settle for anything less.

#42 2 years ago

so just noticed a sliver of ghosting on storage facility... this comes after 1500+ plays and got it in July. I'm hoping that this means its unlikely to get much worse. It is getting cooler around here and its in an unheated basement, so possibly just some "normal" wood movement.

This was produced July 7, playfield stamped May 19. There were a couple others with the same date as me, anyone care to chime in they are holding up?

2 months later
#43 2 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Opened a new Metallica Pro this past weekend and nothing appears to be bad yet. Playfield was made June 8th in the year of 2016AD.
Will keep an eye on things to see if this changes...

My MET has ghosting on 3 inserts. Mine was stamped with June 17th 2016.

#44 2 years ago

I just ordered a GB Premium. Can someone post some pictures of what I should look for pertaining to "ghosting". Thanks.

#45 2 years ago

Gb premium maybe aug. no isuues !

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 218.00
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Louisville, KY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
High Bridge, NJ
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.99
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
€ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Austin, TX
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
€ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside