(Topic ID: 168031)

Ghostbusters AirBall Protector New Lower Cost Free Shipping!

By OLDPINGUY

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 158 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GB Lane Gaurdsw (resized).jpg
GB Lane Gaurds (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20161022_223059 (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (resized).JPG
IMG_7145 (resized).JPG
gb protector wdecal (resized).jpg
20160909_203244 (resized).jpg
elmers-glue (resized).png
2016-hot-wheels (resized).jpg
protector with car (resized).jpg
Protector plain (resized).jpg
Protector with trap (resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 7 years ago

i installed this on my gb le and 85 percent of the airballs have stopped. well worth the price of admission.

#102 7 years ago

Payment sent for protector w/decal.

#103 7 years ago

I have a customer who has a Pro, I dont know which version of Slimer yet, where Slimer is hitting.

The grub screw fixes this on Premium/LE, but I havent seen info on the new Pro mech, or if there are any adjustments.

Any help out there for this Fellow Pinsider, to adjust Slimer on a Pro?

We havent heard of this before.

#104 7 years ago

Payment sent. Thank you for making these.

#105 7 years ago

In for one, funds sent.

Thanks again

#106 7 years ago

I sent my $20 for a clear protector. Thanks for making these.

#107 7 years ago

Money sent! Hope you have some left

#108 7 years ago

Payment sent! Thanks.

#109 7 years ago

Thank you! Ill be at Expo, so shipping will go out next week ASAP!

#110 7 years ago

I busted out the Dremel last night and modded the protector a bit so Slimer's fat butt can swing freely. Before the mod he was hitting the protector and not registering - this seems to have done the trick while still preventing the crazy air balls.

IMG_7145 (resized).JPGIMG_7145 (resized).JPG

IMG_7146 (resized).JPGIMG_7146 (resized).JPG

#111 7 years ago

sending money now art thank you

#112 7 years ago

Love mine. Works great,and looks great. Thank you again for making these,and the fast shipping.

#113 7 years ago

Thank you! Stern was happy with them too!

#114 7 years ago

Thanks for making Art! Payment sent...

#115 7 years ago

Yes Sir, Thank you. Payment sent. My wife's favorite machine leaving LOTR and AC/DC behind.... Your idea and product can only make this game even better. Stern should be sending you a gratitude gift card or something, at least a hoodie....

#116 7 years ago

Hi Art - payment just submitted for a clear plastic protector. Thanks so much for making these available!

Regards,
Whitney

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Yes Sir, Thank you. Payment sent. My wife's favorite machine leaving LOTR and AC/DC behind.... Your idea and product can only make this game even better. Stern should be sending you a gratitude gift card or something, at least a hoodie....

Thanks, but I didn't invent this, another pinsider
did, I just tried to improve and make available
and affordable.

I greatly appreciate the positive feedback.

I gave Joe the sling protector/inlane air Ball
plastic and I'll have clear and decaled samples
soon.

I'll be leaving Chicago tomorrow, so all orders
will ship on Wednesday.

#118 7 years ago

Art, I just wanted to give you a heads up that I sent in a payment for one of the regular airball protectors this afternoon.

Thanks!
-Blake

#119 7 years ago

Thanks Blake.

Paypal shipping eas down all day, People should see shipping notifications tomorrow.

Thanks!

Art

#120 7 years ago

Finally got around to installing the protector. Works great. Thanks Art!!

#121 7 years ago

No worries! Thanks Art! Looking forward to getting this installed on my machine.

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

I busted out the Dremel last night and modded the protector a bit so Slimer's fat butt can swing freely. Before the mod he was hitting the protector and not registering - this seems to have done the trick while still preventing the crazy air balls.

nice job. I need to do that to mine as well. Thanks for posting a pic.

#123 7 years ago

Please LMK if this is a more regular need on the Pro.

#124 7 years ago

I just installed the protector on my GBLE. It makes contact with the ball on the left side side. Is there another version available?

#125 7 years ago

I dont understand your issue exactly, but if I am guessing your ball on the left orbit, you can raise this plastic with a washer or two on the left side.

Despite all efforts, each GB is assembled slightly differently.

#126 7 years ago

I've attached a picture. Not enough threads on post for a washer. If I could put in enough washers the bolt would loosen since the locking portion of the bolt would not be biting the post.

20161022_223059 (resized).jpg20161022_223059 (resized).jpg

#127 7 years ago

I see your issue, and it is somewhat unique to your game specifically.

With the plastic on the right and left possibly needing raising, It is possible on the right to remove the
washers under the black metal plate in 2-3 positions, lowering that, and allowing more thread on the right.
Specifically on the left, I dont know if you have a washer under the plastic, that could now be moved above, to give the
extra height.
If this is not the case, and for whatever reason, wood thickness, screw depth sunk, Id have to physically be there or help with this reasoning.
On mine, I have enough room for a plastic protector washer, and then this plastic. Picture below.

If this doesnt work for you, and you cant find a solution, please feel free to return for a refund.

In this case, its a flat piece of plastic, and variations from Stern are the issue, more than the plastic, and Im unsure
how to solve other than the raising of the plastic with a washer or stand off.

I wouldnt know how to make unique individual ones based on this variance, but others have posted hand made ones, removing and bending the target frames, or adding additional foam as solutions.
(My foam tests, failed after a few hundred plays...the airballs came back, but in a less used, home environment, might be fine.)

Heres the pic of the "solution" look for extra height from washers on the thread....should be enough room.

Oh, and do to popular request, Formal note Ill repeat again. There is a plastic film on the product that protects against scratches when handling and cutting. Please remove the plastic film prior to install.
So sorry I didnt print instructions mentioning, "peel the film off" I kinda thought that was known. My error.

No need to send scathing emails about this.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#128 7 years ago

Where did you find those standoffs? About a1/4 inch should work.

#129 7 years ago

I have them local at a surplus store.

Shoot me a PM with your address, and Ill put a couple in the mail for you.

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

I've attached a picture. Not enough threads on post for a washer. If I could put in enough washers the bolt would loosen since the locking portion of the bolt would not be biting the post.

On my prem. the ball hits the plastic, but only if it goes up and can't make it, then rolls back down the ramp.

#131 7 years ago

In trying to understand your issue, is it that the protector needs raising,
as the ball is hitting it at the ramp position?

If so, yes, you will need to stack a few washers, a plastic protector washer, a cut piece of solid, pretty much anything that can get you some additional height. In the few cases where Stern has a Slightly different placement of the Ramp, and/or Slimer mechanism, this 1-3mm installation variation at the factory can affect the height needed.

Hopefully, as we have seen 2 small metal washers, or one clear plastic is all that is needed.

Of course, if you cant solve, or unhappy, please return for a refund.

It really is just a flat piece of plastic, and I wish I could say all games are precision made, 100% the same.....they simply arent.

But in this case you need some height clearance, and these are the first steps to achieve.

Art

#132 7 years ago

Looking to reach Zach Meny.....who just ordered.

I am in need of your address and email.....please PM Me.

#133 7 years ago

Hey Old Pin Guy,
Put mine in with two washers on the two back posts and it works soooooo nice!! Again, I hope you guys get something good of equal value in return from Stern. Your air ball protector has a high value IMHO.
Thanks!!

#134 7 years ago

Thanks for the kind words...

Yes, Stern staff was kind enough to sharE
an "atta boy!"

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thanks for the kind words...
Yes, Stern staff was kind enough to sharE
an "atta boy!"

I am sure you remember the saying "a slap on the back is just inches higher than a kick in the @ss". I miss the old sayings......

My wife sends her gratitude too!

#136 7 years ago

Art - yeah now mine is catching the ball. I'll throw some washers on the back two

#137 7 years ago

Repeat Bump......Only 1 Ecto 1A left!

Great News for Fellow Pinheads in Canada and Europe!
I figured out a lower weight and cost to ship Protectors to Europe in Canada!
For Canada, a Plain Protector is now $5.00 LESS! $24.95 SHIPPED! With Decal Loose or applied, $29.95.
For Europe So far, its $6.00 Less $26.95 Plain and $31.95 With Decal Loose or applied.
Im reaching out to those who have placed orders for either a refund or upgrade. Should I miss you, please shoot me a PM.
Here are the details again:
USA
It is available for $19.95 Including Shipping
and $24.95 With the Ghost Trap Decal Including Shipping
I have a few Ecto1 and Ecto1-A cars, hot wheels for $8.00
If you wish to add. They need Doubled sided tape, or Velcro to
add to your game, but you may need to adjust your Slimer
if you place on this plastic.
So, I dont have a business site up, and a direct Paypal to [email protected] will work.

#138 7 years ago

Just ordered a plain protector. Thanks!!

#139 7 years ago

Thanks for the support!

Ecto1 Cars are sold out at this time.

I do not expect them to return, but will post if they do.

There may be some on Ebay still.

#140 7 years ago

Just to add to the info about different machines. I've got an early Premium and it seems to have the issue where it can't be lifted quite high enough to stop the ball hitting it. When enough washers are added to lift the plastic so the ball doesn't touch, there isn't enough thread on the bolt to screw the nut to. After adding as many washers as possible it still just touches a little on the leftmost entry to the ramp. The touch doesn't seem to affect the shot up the ramp too much though. I'll probably look to get some of those small hex spacers to boost the height a little while still having enough thread to screw the nut to.

#141 7 years ago

Thanks for sharing.

As Joe is making these and selling as well,
same with Curly, and we talk, approx 5% to 10%
Of games have a slight variation in assembly, by a few mm, that can cause the height
issue.
Even a few emails where the posts on the playfield, vary in thread height, where the nut
won't even go back on.
Hex spacers are the answer, and
I don't believe I should add to every order, but if you need 3, just send me a note and add $1.00
for the 3.
I apologize there is no storefront, something will
be changing there in the future to make it all easier.

Please note, I have no way of knowing, if
Your game will need them or not, nor even
with the best intentions can I ask/have on
Stern making any changes to the game.
These suggestions should be sent to Stern,
And/Or posted.

#142 7 years ago

Even with these minor issues it still does a great job minimizing airballs, which I'm sure my machine will be thankful for

2 weeks later
#143 7 years ago

For Canada, a Plain Protector is now $5.00 LESS! $24.95 SHIPPED! With Decal Loose or applied, $29.95.
For Europe So far, its $6.00 Less $26.95 Plain and $31.95 With Decal Loose or applied.

USA

So, I dont have a business site up, and a direct Paypal to [email protected] will work.

Bump.

I may be running down in stock, but am expecting more.

Get yours now/Reserve, as its likely Ill be closed for the Christmas Holiday thru New Years.

Im hoping to have the new side rails for testing this week, and Orders ASAP.

I believe firmly, this will be the most attractive, and superior product in the market.

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

USA
Bump.
I may be running down in stock, but am expecting more.
Get yours now/Reserve, as its likely Ill be closed for the Christmas Holiday thru New Years.
Im hoping to have the new side rails for testing this week, and Orders ASAP.
I believe firmly, this will be the most attractive, and superior product in the market.

What are the new side rails?

#145 7 years ago

I hope to post final pics, but here are pics of the Proto.

Its my belief, that the decal over the metal inlane, will look much better.
If one wants a mini rubber, for their needs, it can be split and anchored below...I want to test that.
Its high enough for lane skips, and covers the full sling for full protection.
There is enough difference on lane height to be superior, and while others do that too, those dont
cover full sling plastic protection.
I also hope to offer for a lower price shipped, when done.
Everyone has been so busy...its been a little delayed.

When they arrive, Ill thoroughly test, I have several testers in line, and we can start orders.....

GB Lane Gaurds (resized).jpgGB Lane Gaurds (resized).jpg

GB Lane Gaurdsw (resized).jpgGB Lane Gaurdsw (resized).jpg

#146 7 years ago

I really like the looks of the original style extended sling protectors you guys came up with....... I just feel the radius needs to be changed slightly.

#147 7 years ago

Thats the fun part! Even if something works on my game, is to hope and try on others to reach the highest success rate.
I dont know yet how high we will get.

While I greatly appreciate feedback and suggestions, the hard part, perhaps unknown to many,
is what to do when I receive 20-30 changes, similar and different from fellow pinsiders....

What to do? I cant make 12 models, and send out 50-60 to free test, adapt, make more and release.
Having done things like this before...ie purple passion, strips 3 years ago, I found when I did this, and released, another round of opinions to change it came again.

Then there are variations in the game from Stern!

#148 7 years ago

BTW? So I understand your perspective, which radius?

Best to help with downloading the picture and marking up in photoshop, and sharing....
Its hard to understand visually from words, and this way I can check it out.

I respect your keen eye, but the test is in the physical, and the camera perspective may be
affecting this too.

#149 7 years ago

I will try to get for you later today or tomorrow

#150 7 years ago

Thanks very much!!!!!!

There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-air-ball-protector-now-available/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.