• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

81OkkEdcXKL._SL1500__(resized).jpg
Send_the_wolf_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

...and we still haven't learned lessons regarding code incomplete.
Goes to show; no matter WHAT common sense says... people will buy out the latest Stern un-seen... if it appeals to a core group of fans.

I've done it several ways.

1) first adopter for XMLE
2) bought STLE after playing ST pro but still early like 2-3 months after release

3) bought games after they've been out mature code AcDc, Tron, IM, MET, Tspp (they had been out 2+ years and were established as solid games)

While option 1-2 you can have a bad outcome, maybe a very bad outcome like WWE or AVLE.

But the 3rd option involves waiting months or years. So while its imprudent you can even say that Tron or Met or AcDc early buyers were wrong, but also likely those guys who didn't buy early, didn't get Tron LE or AcDc LE except by buying a used one or paying through the nose for a left over nib.

Even with ST, having played the pro and having owned the LE for 2 years I'm still evolving my opinion about the game. I don't think I'd be able to say with any certainty if I'd love any game until I actually own the game.

I've played TWD several times, I've played GOT premium and I still don't know if they are good/bad or in between. I've played LOTR over the years and still don't know how I feel about it. So any game is taking a chance buying for me.

And while its imprudent, where would we be if everyone waited for the games to be completely done and coded before we buy? Someone has to buy a new pin first or the system gets stuck in the mud. No new games sold means Stern or JJP are out of buisness. Even people do it with PS3 and X-Box, iPhones and new cars. Sure other people wait and see but some/many buy the newer product when they are released.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Screw common sense! I have a ghostbusters LE and i will be happy for months!
If you buy LE, you can't lose( except those who ordered LE at Zidware ofcourse)
But we also should support Stern in their effort of building great pins.
They really stepped up to the plate on ghostbusters.
The LE sold out in a couple of hours for a reason.

I'm behind this reasoning as well. People point to Wwe, TFLE, AVLE and say look there's the bad games. But those games were seriously not selling out and people had written them off before they even played. I was on order for AVLE for about a minute before I saw the pin and the gameplay (it didn't do anything for me). A lot of people didn't care for TWD LE but that game turned out better than some expected.

Also, I don't mind paying Stern to keep them in buisness. They're made in USA which is nice, they employ a lot of people both line workers and talent like the 3 major designers and ZY and the programmers. If it weren't for Stern and us buyers what would Jonh Borg, John T, Steve R etc,, be doing right now? I'm not saying they need to thank us, but that it's a mutually beneficial arrangement.

And I'm a kind of guy who feels it's necessary to support artists and companies. My neighbor tells me I should watch a new movie on a bootleg free site. I say, that's ok, I'd rather support the actors and studios for making the movies. If everyone stole their movies soon enough we wouldn't have any more new movies being made.

#9 8 years ago

In a way, while I can appreciate that GB LE *is* over priced for what it is. It's not like the end of the world.

I know people who spend many thousands of dollars on sporting events (season tickets) and people who might fly first class (when the whole plane gets to the same destination). People who buy new cars every 3 years when a car will surely run for a decade plus. It's not always about doing the most rational thing. So long as I'm still able to pay my real bills, save for retirement and such.

There are worse ways to spend $8k considering you'll be able to sell the used machine for some value. It is taking $8k out of your bank account but it's not like you just lit the $8k on fire and it disappeared.

#36 8 years ago

IMO AVLE all comes down to game play. It's not well liked. Of course we don't know much about GB but it's layout doesn't look to be bad. Of course we don't know. But it's got 2 ramps, 2 orbits, 2 captive ball shots should be ok playing. I don't know about the magnet slings that's one thing that kind of scares me. Almost wish they had left the kickers in and used the magnets for special effects.

Hopefully Stern will do a quick video soon so we can see what's doing with the magnet slings.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I don't think blind support is the right move.
Stern's biz practices NEED change. They need to do things to support the customer.
Raising prices because we can... bad.
Not developing complete code before release - very bad.

I'm not supporting them for nothing. They've made some of my favorite pins.

IM, AcDc, Tron, Met to name a few.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

I'm curious how the magnet slings will work out. That is a significant change compared to what is normally there and it could be better or worse. If all we have to go off is the gameplay on the pro this week then I guess we really won't know till the LE's start shipping.

I'm guessing that they tested the heck out of them. JT said, some ideas they want to implement but after review can't be done. So hopefully it's not just change for no reason. I'd have liked them to be out on WWE or some prior title that's for sure.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I also don't think they were nearly as expensive as they are today.

that statement and $4 will buy you a cup of coffee.

What I mean, are you saying there is another company making new pins that is cheaper than B/W were back in the 90s? If not then what is your point?

Movie tickets were $4.50 back in 1997 (I looked it up) now the average ticket is $8.50

what's your point?

If you want to buy a new B/W have at it. Oh, that's right they're not making pins any more.

Back in the 70s a calculator cost $400 (probably the equivalent to more than $2000) now you can get one for $20. Are you saying everyone should pay the same price for the same products regardless of timeframe?

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Im not going by the actual price. Im going by inflation. If you were buying a W/B pin today going by inflated prices what would it cost? If Levi is correct and it would match up with a pro then lets just compare a W/B to a premium Stern which is around $2000 to higher. I don't want a stripped down pin even at a "cheap" price, I want all the goodness of the full blown pin or I will do without.
Im not starting a fight but I do not believe that you can compare what you get in quality and price of a Stern to what you got to a W/B machine. But then again W/B no longer exists so the argument is somewhat futile.

Not trying to fight but just pointing out a few things.

B/W does exist they just don't make pinball machines, their shareholders didn't want them making something that had a low profit margin. Stern should be able to make whatever profit they can. Do you complain about how much a first class plane ticket costs? Do you complain about how much a iPhone costs? Apple has 45% profit margins. Some car companies have 30% or more profit margins.

B/W stopped selling pins because their profit margins wasn't good enough for them to stay in the pinball buisness. If Stern stopped making pins, we'd not have had pins like Met, Tron, IM, AcDc etc..

If anyone doesn't like their price don't buy them, you don't need to complain about what's not gonna happen. If you want a premium Stern for $4700 that's not happening.

You can say B/W pins are way better quality. That's fine, you can buy all the B/W pins you want. I don't see how Sterns existence bothers you. If you don't like them as you clearly say you can't compare the quality of B/W. Then why do you even care what Stern charges?

You can't compare a company that no longer makes pins and what they would cost today. Likely if B/W was making pins they'd be charging more than Sten, because they have better quality. Stern would be VW and B/W would be BMW. In that case maybe Stern would have to sell cheaper since obviously to you they make inferior quality games. But you know what in my example Stern is VW and B/W is the Edsel it doesn't exist as a car company any more.

#101 8 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

$8.50 for a movie ticket? where do you live at? Even matinee shows cost over $10 around here.

This is the number they go by. Some might be discount price like if you buy tickets at Costco and some might be discount theatres like after a movie is out 3 months it may move to the $4 cinema, it's just the industry number.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-le-available?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.