Topic Stats

• 4,349 posts
  • 508 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by vireland
  • Topic is favorited by 143 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Drop-target-assembly500-9960-00-01 (resized).jpg
file2 (resized).jpeg
file1 (resized).jpeg
file (resized).jpeg
20190922_151526 (resized).jpg
20190922_194026 (resized).jpg
IMG_6764 (resized).JPG
IMG_6762 (resized).JPG
IMG_6763 (resized).JPG
IMG_6753 (resized).JPG
IMG_6752 (resized).JPG
IMG_6751 (resized).JPG
IMG_6749 (resized).JPG
20190808_225010 (resized).jpg
20190808_225339 (resized).jpg
20190808_225658 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #1 Opening post with OP's index of topics Posted by exflexer (3 years ago)

Post #11 Photos of original slimer design Posted by exflexer (3 years ago)

Post #426 Images showing the redesigned Slimer mech Posted by kpg (3 years ago)

Post #430 Pro manual updated to reflect the new slimer mech Posted by kpg (3 years ago)

Post #528 Photos of the Pinball Universe kit installed on GB Posted by sirlonzelot (3 years ago)

Post #565 Link to Pinball Universe Upgrade kit (Germany) Posted by sirlonzelot (3 years ago)

Post #630 GB 1.05 code posted and readme details! Posted by PinB (3 years ago)

Post #662 Link to Pinballlife's alt springs for the Scoleri brothers targets Posted by exflexer (3 years ago)

Post #709 Videos of the Pinballlife outlane plastics in use for GB Posted by Pinzzz (3 years ago)

Post #876 tatman9999 photos of his Titan Rubbers in green on GB Posted by tatman9999 (3 years ago)

Post #1034 Photos of mismatched flipper side rails installed on factory game Posted by Trekkie1978 (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1973 3 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Grr... I've been thinking about grabbing a premium as a xmas gift to the family, but holding out as all the issues have me nervous. I played a pro, thought it was tough but after a few games got the hang of it - I remember the ball hops and airballs were a little jarring. I just played a premium..... airball city - so much that my 14yr old daughter mentioned it as I was holding back my thoughts. Think I'm gonna have to wait & see if Stern fixes things or not. I'm not afraid to work on pins - heck I love shopping games & owned a early wozle..... I just don't want to have to try to fix poor design. Hope all you owners enjoy your games, but I really hope stern wakes up and starts addressing more than just ghosted inserts.

Same here. I want a GB Premium bad but Stern acting like they could care less about these issues makes me too nervous to buy right now. It also doesn't help that I emailed them and ask them if they were going to address these issues and they never even had the courtesy to email me back. I even told them that I have bought two new pins recently from them. Oh well......

#1983 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The issues with the game, arent ones that can be addressed exactly in production.
Slimer hitting bracket.....Because of the distance of just a few mm when assembled, some
can have an issue. Solution for 98%, use a hex key and loosen grub screw, raise and tighten.
Scoleri Brothers Targets. Some get bricks. You can let it wear in, adjust the springs you have, mess
with replacement springs. Also a small amount if time, but engineering wise its working fine on so many, the
forum and this thread magnifies the issues. I spent all of 10 minutes to fix one target.
Air Balls. Myself and others have plastics from $20-$50 that fix most all concerns, from Ramp targets, inlane hopes, and any center Drain gap concerns. If this bothers you, there is a fix.
I think thats it, and from the perspective of messing with the game for months, now that the playfield issue seems to be resolved, There seems to be minimal worries, and many solutions....
Perfect? No. Can they make it Perfect? they try, but not likely.
Still Normal in the world of making almost anything.
Still worried? Buy used, or wait to visit a distributor that you can see, touch, and play the game you get
kicking all the tires till you are happy.
But if you want one...IMO, these last few bumps are minor.

Thanks for the post old pin guy. I believe everything you say is correct and don't doubt it any at all. I just don't understand why Stern from the factory cannot put a little piece of plastic on the left ramp to cut down on air balls, or why they won't put taller lane guides on the machine so the ball doesn't jump the inlane and drain. I realize these problems can be fixed but why should the customer be the one that has to fix a poorly designed machine? I do realize that this is pinball and sometimes machines arrive with a couple of issues, but these are design flaws we are talking about here that are easy fixes that should be fixed by Stern.

I'm going to play a premium next week, not sure if it has the air ball protectors or not? I hope it doesn't have the protectors so I can see if it's a real problem or not. I gotta wonder, are the air balls really that bad on this machine? My WD will get an air ball from time to time off of the flipper but it doesn't happen too much so I don't care. When you hit the left ramp on GB though, are people getting that many air balls for real? I also have heard that the air balls get better after the machine has some plays on it. Not sure how that would help but I've heard that.

#2000 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Oh, I agree with you!
The outlane posts being higher, or a rubber post would be a solution to a construction issue, or a wider plastic.
I think that one is true.
On things like left ramp plastic cover, I am guessing that because it is happening on a smaller percentage,
its not deemed, "defect". We need to think only of the playfield issue.....less than 5%, but because it gets posted, (rightfully), complained, chewed on, hashed about, it is the only thing people hear, and in conversation
months back, it appears people believed it was 95% happening.
Or like WOZ, I had two people in 2 weeks visit go.."Beautiful, but I wouldnt own it, the light boards fail".
True, some did, and fixed fast but magnified by our social interaction.
The air balls off the targets.....Oh yes, absolutely, they should have made a fix, but just maybe when I mentioned to George, Gary, and Dwight at the same time at the factory, that I was paying some medical bills with mine, to let me continue on.....I was only part joking. .
We spend our money, on a toy, and we want perfection. This is who we are today. If they made a game like Iron Man...not too much to go wrong. But every time we want something new. we are also the guinea pigs to test. Could you imagine the uproar if the magna slings didnt work?
I know some guys hate any analogies, but take Apple, or Samsung....Billions, and they make errors,
and people will complain rightfully....shit happens...factories making other components screw up.
Im not defending Stern...I too want as all others do, but I retired not only for health, but the difficulty
of perfection, and the magnification of any failure.
It is the reason that most vendors dont post much....one failure, and a shit storm can follow.
Repeat the failure, and its a GB Playfield Shitnado!
But Stern Does Listen, Playfield solutions in place and happening. Wire Guide bending on Captive ball...new piece engineered and sent out upon request. Half a dozen Goggles Broken, theres a new part to add.
Plastics...dont know.
What I know is I love playing the game....hundreds and hundreds so far, and it has brought great Joy.
Those just getting their game now, are finding these issues for themselves, and its what we talk about.
Not much Strategy, Pics of Kids in Joy playing, Even the Ecto Goggles, peppers ghost, now "known", not even discussed on Dialed in..the new animations just added.
Its simply how we approach this forum, and how the flow goes here.....some positive, some negative, but like an accident on the side of the road, we tend to stop and gravitate towards the negative....

Very true words Pin guy. I'm going to go play the Premium that I found on location and compare it to the Pro. I will be making a decision soon on what I'm gonna buy. Heck I may even end up with a Batman 66 who knows? A local Arcade is getting that game in also this month I believe. I can only buy one right now so it's going to be a tough choice probably because I do love the Batman 66 theme. I think it's gonna be tough to beat the fun of GB as well though.

1 week later
#2080 2 years ago

Those look nice old Pin guy. If I get a GB I will have to have a set of those for sure.

1 week later
#2207 2 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Well, to be fair, all the stuff you were describing earlier is related to that specific board.
I also didn't know you had added extra aftermarket stuff for the BB and PF so probably include bit of info for next time.
Mine had no mods; was factory fresh, so I was just assuming more owners were having a similar issue due to 1.05 or at the very least were starting to.
Well,
Hopefully you're now good to go and the game runs like a champ from here on out.
Funny to think that the new Spike system could possibly be interrupted/brought down by running a few extra LED strips.
Did I mention how much I already miss SAM?

My GOT occasionally loses power to the left flipper just for a split second during multi ball. It doesn't happen often but it pisses me off when it does and I lose a couple of balls because of it.

#2209 2 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

If it's during "Winter has Come" then it's coded to do that if you're cradling too long. The DMD will even tell you to shoot other targets to thaw the flipper. Which is awesome.
If it's during any other multiball then you might have something going on.
What code are you running?

It's during regular multi ball and I'm not cradling when it happens, just flipping a lot. My code looks like it's 1.29, does that sound right?

1 week later
#2261 2 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Not,Mine!!! new build,12-29-19,Slimer drags his ass! Stern rep says he's supposed to drag some to emulate slimming!!

You should ask that Stern rep if the metal wires sticking out of the slimers azz is supposed to scratch the hell out of your playfield also. I bet he'd probably tell you yes!

#2265 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Kinda like my dog butt-scooting?

Exactly Art, it's kind of the same thing. Only thing different is he's leaving poop stains on your new carpet instead of slime!

#2267 2 years ago

Haha that's one of the best commercials ever!

1 week later
#2356 2 years ago
Quoted from enjoyvelvet:

wow is there that much difference in quality vs. Stern balls??

Yes

1 week later
#2378 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

did a road trip and finally picked up a new GB Pro. beautiful looking game...
I haven't played yet and noticed already probably 100 dimples (to be expected from a play test but still surprising having not played it yet). My question to those having bought new sterns, on inspecting the playfield I noticed 6-7 raised bumps in the clear where it must of had crap / dust on the playfield when curing and never buffed off. What is going to happen to these spots as that are in the main front to middle of the playfield. Will they level off or will the clear possibly crack / chip? I can't put a mylar piece on it as it will just bubble.
is this just a normal thing and will the raised bumps level out?

I'm interested to hear what people say here. I don't think a new game should have any dimples? I'm not sure what you mean by raised bumps either. Are they over top of an insert by any chance? If so that could mean your inserts in the playfield are lifting? Hopefully that's not the case.

#2387 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

I will just wait..im patient. If a good clean used one comes along I will probably just snag one if the price is right. Just can't get my head around what some people want for a used one though. NIB price for a used game makes little sense to me and I am not really wanting to pay extra for mods that I would never buy for a game.

I honestly believe if you buy a new pin right now that it will probably be fine. I am getting ready to buy a new GB Premium. I would be a liar to say I'm not worried a little bit about Sterns quality but I also feel that most of the playfield issues are behind them. There is always going to be a bad playfield here and there no matter what, but the complaints right now hasn't been anything like they were when GB first came out. I bought 2 new pins last year and they are very nice.

The toy on the Batman pin really does make me shake my head and say WTF? Seems everyone is having trouble with the balls getting hung up in it and it makes me wonder how much testing that they do on their games, it seems like no testing was done with the Batman game. I'm not trying to go against what ExtremePinball is saying for a minute because he knows way more about pinball than me, but I do feel that playfield quality is not quite the disaster that it was six months ago. Bottom line is I don't think it's a huge risk if you want to buy a NIB pin and I would go for it.

#2389 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Seems like everyone is chipping in the outhole and shooter lane early which seems to me will cause greater issues down the road in other areas that matter...that is my main concern.

I'd say if you stick a small piece of Mylar on the outhole you will be fine. I don't think "everyone" is having clear chipping off of their ball drain anyway. My WD and GOT have maybe very minor wear there after 700 plays on GOT and 1600 or so on WD and I'm not worried about it at all. I'm going to stick a piece of Mylar on them though and in the shooter lane also just to be safe. I don't think the problem will get any worse after I Mylar it, and it would probably even be fine if I didn't Mylar it. I'm just doing it to prevent future damage just in case.

#2391 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Bought my GB prem in very late Dec and it's perfect. The most fun I've had playing a new game ever.

I think GB is one of the best pins ever, such a blast!

#2393 2 years ago

Hmm......that's really tough to answer because I would have to own them both long term to truly know. Any pinball critic is no doubt going to say it's not even close and TWD wins hands down, and they are probably right for now because GB probably doesn't have the finished code yet.

Now if we are talking GB Pro I will give a slight edge to TWD probably but if you are talking GB Premium, that makes things tougher because the Premium model really shines with GB imo. That also is no knock against GB Pro because it's a fantastic game and I'd own one in a heartbeat. I know the rule set in TWD is considered to be among the best ever but GB is fun as hell. TWD is no doubt a game that is better suited for tournament play, but to just play a few games with your buds and a few beers, I'll put GB right up there with it.

Code: TWD wins
Art package: GB wins
Sound: GB wins
Light show: GB wins
Overall fun: I'm gonna say GB for the win!

I know I'm gonna get hammered for this review so flame away folks!

1 week later
#2439 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I just noticed while playing tonight that the cabinet decal is starting to fray a bit at the left side edge near the front of the game. I assume this is happening because the exposed edge of the decal is constantly being rubbed by my hand while flipping. This is the only Stern I own where the decals don't wrap around the edge. You can see from the photos that there is a gap between the side decals and the front decal on both sides of the game. Are all Ghostbuster premiums like this, or did they mess mine up at the factory?

Not sure why in the hell they did that, any idiot would know that is going to become a problem. This has been discussed before but I'm not sure what people are doing about it? I don't know if they all are done that way or not? Can't wait to see some people chime in about this.

#2462 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

I've been looking at a pile of sites, who has the best bang for your buck Outlane plastics to stop the ball from hopping over? For a PRO. Thanks guys

OldPinGuy on here sells really nice ones and he's a great guy also!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1043-arts-arcade/00489-ghostbusters-lane-and-sling-guard-25-only-the-best-

#2471 2 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

I removed the Stern Fix and then installed the Ecto-Bubble with no issues.
I did re-align my mirror to make sure its 100% under the bubble.
I do wonder why the creator did not just use the 3 screw holes on the left side instead of wrapping around back with a metal bracket.
I would have also counter-sunk the screw holes.
Its possible this was done to reduce the possibility of alignment issues.
The current design is pretty flexible if there were any variation in hole alignment.

Doesn't the protector that they put on at the factory work good? How come people are putting this protector on?

#2473 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The protector from the factory only protects against a ball coming in from the side and striking the LCD. It offers no protection whatsoever for the mirror.

Has people been getting their mirrors broken a lot or something?

#2497 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I call those spider cracks. I think they get those when they are pressed tightly into the hole, or from the grinding machine when all inserts are inserted...then the grinder goes down the field and shaves everything flat. Happens in a lot of games. B/W games have them from time to time as well. Just part of the process.

Yup, what Neo said. My GOT has the same thing and it doesnt bother me at all, and im the pickiest guy in the world. Play it and have fun, you got yourself an awesome game there!

#2507 2 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

There are no outer-lane issues. That's because they are, exactly, the way the designer wanted them. Same holds true for the right ramp. All of the purists here are replacing the ramp post with a shorter one so they can make the shot. Well they are completely "altering the geometry" of the game. Don't like slimers butt dragging on your playfield? Too bad, that's how it was designed, tested, and delivered as a final product. There are no mistakes. There are no design flaws. There are no defects. Everything is sunshine & roses.

I was reading your post thinking....this guy is insane. Then I looked up and seen it was you and was like.....wtf is he thinking, he knows better than this? Then at the end I found out you were joking lol. You had me going there for a minute!

1 week later
#2547 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Latest code. Also I was mistaken about it going all the way around. It was dropping into the pops because the controlled gate remained closed.
It only happens on strong shots. 100% working on shots that barely make it back to the switch.

I'm having the same issue. It doesn't really happen a lot, but I'd like it to never ever happen. This game is hard enough already without having shots not register. I just started noticing this tonight so I haven't pinpointed whether is a mode thing or just a super hard clean and fast shot thing. I seen that someone mentioned bending the switch upwards a little bit, not sure if that is a good idea or not?

1 week later
#2590 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm surprised this doesn't happen on more people's games. Those targets really take a beating. Because of this, I recently decided to disable both of them in the menu, and I now only turn them on when guests are over. I found that they weren't adding to my enjoyment of the game that much, and this will put less wear and tear on the playfield over time.

Probably a good idea because the game is better without them anyways. They are a PIA in my opinion.

#2617 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yes. Leave the flippers as designed.

Agree 100%

#2631 2 years ago

Wow......nice shootin!

#2646 2 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

That happened to me a long time ago. The ball was not making the shooter lane switch consistently and fast enough. I physically adjusted the switch up and the problem was gone. Prior to that adjustment I was getting 2 balls a lot as if the machine had no idea the ball was in the shooter lane.
The switch is held in place with 1/8" nut driver head screws. The screw heads are really small so you may have to use a needle nose to loosen/tighten.

Chuck what are your thoughts about the switch not registering when you shoot the ball really fast through the ecto goggles? I hate not getting credit for that shot. Mine fails fairly often on a good hard and fast shot up thru there.

2 weeks later
#2738 2 years ago
Quoted from packards34:

With all the issues with ghostbusters would anyone recommend buying a NIB ghostbusters machine? Or buy something else?

Yes I would recommend getting a NIB GB because most games don't have any serious issues and the little tweaks that need to be done are no big deal whatsoever. It's a great machine, don't be scared to get one.

1 week later
#2835 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

**CONFIRMED** It's the damn Mylar. I removed it today and the shot worked perfectly 100% of the time, no matter how hard the flip.
If you have problems with the Ecto lane shot not registering 100% of the time, especially with harder shots, and you have Mylar in the lane, remove it.

How hard was the mylar to peel off? I can't really see why it would be needed so much in that area can you?

#2837 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

It was easy. First time I ever did it too. Peeled up a little corner, then sprayed some compressed air upside down to freeze it. Pulled up with some pliers a little. Spray, pull, repeat until it comes off. Soaked some of my wife's nail polish remover in a paper towel, then wiped off the glue. Did a final polish with Novus 1. Whole thing took 10 minutes, tops.
I don't see why it would be needed there.

I may be doing the same thing this weekend because it pisses me off when that shot doesn't register

#2853 2 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

So then why is my pf reading .6 degree different from top to bottom ? Is the pf warped from the factory?

No its not warped. My games do the same thing and I wonder why also lol. It doesn't sound possible does it?

#2856 2 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

So what incline number do I go off of? Top or bottom of pf?

I really don't know but it only makes sense that it would be at the bottom where the level indicator is on the side of the playfield. I just put mine in between the two lines on the. Bubble level that came with the game and it seems to play fine. I agree with gweempose that leveling the playfield left to right is the biggest thing.

#2858 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

**CONFIRMED** It's the damn Mylar. I removed it today and the shot worked perfectly 100% of the time, no matter how hard the flip.
If you have problems with the Ecto lane shot not registering 100% of the time, especially with harder shots, and you have Mylar in the lane, remove it.

Guys Sinestro is right, its DEFINITELY 100% the strip of mylar that is in there. I like my game a million times better now, thank you Sinestro!! I am not worried about any damage in this are either for two reasons. #1 you cant see the area even if it did have some playfield wear and #2 my GOT is designed exactly the same way and it doesnt have a mylar piece on the playfield and ive got about 1000 plays on my GOT. This is the fix 100 percent. The mylar also peels up easily. I got it started with my fingernail and then grabbed it with a pair of needle nose pliers and slowly pulled it up. It left a little glue residue and I soaked a rag with Novus 1 and the glue cleaned off easily with just a little bit of scrubbing. Thanks again Sinestro, you da man dude!

#2860 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I was waiting for a couple more people to chime in, but it sounds like removing the mylar is indeed the solution. Can't wait to give it a try.

It works, I promise you.

#2862 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

So once the mylar is removed, the ball never rattles around back there on an orbit shot? It always whips right around?

No you will still get that but the shots that weren't registering were the really hard fast smooth shots through the ecto goggles. Now that shot will register no matter how fast and smooth of a shot that you send up through there.

#2864 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Got it. So we're just talking about the switch registering consistently. That still sounds like a nice improvement to me. I hate it when I nail that shot and I don't get credit for it.

Yes exactly and it definitely makes the game far more enjoyable when all of your shots count. Mine was so bad that I was afraid to send a shot up through there with the left flipper. I would always backhand that shot with the right flipper. My game is much more enjoyable now and I am happy as a pig in poop! Big scores here I come!

#2866 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Glad it worked for you too!
A nice gal over on Tilt named Redhop gave me the solution, and boy am I thankful!

I am too because that changes everything for people having this problem. I still don't see how that was causing the problem but it damn sure was the culprit.

#2871 2 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Did you have an issue with the ball hitting the corner of the gate on orbit shots and plunges? Was that also resolved? Is this for premium/le only?
Thanks.

I have a Premium. I guess it could also be an issue on the pro models also, not sure? If your talking about when the ball auto plunges and rattles around up top and falls back down through the ecto goggles lane then yes I've had that happen before occasionally. I haven't played enough games since removing the mylar to know if it will help that issue or not but my guess is no it won't probably.

All I can tell you for sure is that the switch up top of the ecto goggles lane registers every single time now and I've hit some rockets up through there........ 100% registers now.

#2874 2 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I did switch the orange to green. Full plunge with green spring makes orbit about 50% of the time and falls in 'P' the other 50%. I do need to confirm the plunger is lined up in the middle of the ball.

I always soft plunge anyway and let the ball drop back down from the ecto lane to the flippers and then shoot the blue arrow for the big points.

#2931 2 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Did it completely fix the problem on your machine? Does the right orbit shot register every time now like it is supposed to? I've been waiting to hear from more guys about this before I remove my mylar.
Thanks
Junky

I have payed many games since removing my mylar piece and that shot has not failed to register one time since removing it. Its the best thing ive ever done, makes the game way more fun.

#2933 2 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

How about the plunge shot. Does that ever hit the corner bracket?

If you're talking about when the ball rattles around by stay puft on the auto plunge then yes it still eoes that occasionally

#2935 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Okay, I just played five long games for the express purpose of testing out just how effective removing the mylar was. I even temporarily disabled the Scoleri Brothers so I could more easily focus on the shot. Holy crap!!! I don't think there was single time in all five games that the right orbit didn't register. Even super hard combos on the fly coming from the left orbit triggered the switch 100% of the time. To be honest, I'm a little shocked by how much of a difference removing a simple piece of mylar made. I can now say unequivocally that this mod makes the game play way better and should be performed by every person who owns the game.

It's hard to believe that this actually fixes the problem but it does. I don't see how the Mylar could have possibly affected the switch from registering but it damn sure does.

#2938 2 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I wonder if the problem could also be fixed by extending the piece further down the lane.

It's possible but I don't see any reason that it needs to be on there anyway.

#2970 2 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Thank you for the responses.
I removed my mylar today and... HOLY CRAP I can't believe how much this fixed the problem! It's amazing to me that the thin little mylar edge was enough of a bump in the road to cause the ball to not depress the switch. Like you guys, I can confirm that removing the mylar completely fixed the issue. I played multiple games today and that right orbit shot registered EVERY single time.
Also, I was able to pull it up easily with my fingers. No tools needed. Cleaning up the glue residue was super easy too.
Thanks guys!
Junky

Much better game now isn't it? Sinestro gets the credit on this one, he's the one that came up with the idea. Glad you got your game working good!

#2998 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm pretty annoyed. After having my playfield replaced, my game simply plays worse. The right orbit used to be 100% reliable on my game before swapping the playfield out, now it commonly fails to make it around. It really disrupts things, and I'm quite bugged about it.
Since I never had the problem before, I've not looked into the fixes out there. What are people doing to improve the reliability of the right orbit shot? This is on a GBLE, by the way.
I've traded ghosting for a TERRIBLE left scoop (never had an issue there before), a bad right orbit, and a host of other issues I've been fixing. Frustrating.

Are you talking about the shot under the echo goggles or the far right circle ramp that goes back to the left flipper? What's wrong with the left scoop?

#3009 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Awesome. I'll pull the mylar up. Thanks, guys.

That will fix the right orbit 100% guaranteed

1 week later
#3050 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I have noticed that trying to flutter your flipper, especially in the up position, is really hard and unreliable in Ghostbusters. I've drained quite a few times expecting to tap pass the ball across only to have it roll off and drain.

Same here and I don't like it either. I think it may have something to do with the new spike system maybe? Seems like I read that somewhere anyways.

#3055 2 years ago

My GB is worse than my GOT but the GOT doesn't quite feel right either. GB ticks me off sometimes though pretty bad because of this issue.

#3057 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

I've ran into the post-pass issue a few times in GB, and it pisses me off too.
Ironically, my 4 year old seems to have it down pat.

It's not so much the post passing for me, it's if you catch the ball and it rolls up to the tip of your flipper and you need to give it a little flick to keep the ball from rolling off of you the flipper. Sometimes I will tap the flipper button a little and it doesn't activate the flipper and it rolls off of my flipper and drains.

3 weeks later
#3145 2 years ago
Quoted from packards34:

Back on page 55 I asked the question with all the issues if people would recommend still buying a GB... Well, I got my GB Premium & absolutely love it. I've only had a few games and haven't put any of the mods such as the air ball protector etc but have them ready to go on. It seems like a very addictive game & very brutal. I look forward to spending alot of time with this machine and improving on it

See, aren't you glad that you listened to us?

Everybody laughed at me a long time ago when i said that GB might be Sterns best game ever and that is fine because people have different opinions, but GB is very possibly The coolest game that Stern has ever made! Yes it has its flaws, but it's fun as hell!

#3210 2 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

I apologize if this has been covered before. When the ball goes into the library/extra ball kick out it almost invariably drains when it is launched. It used to his my right flipper but now it is most of the time straight down the middle. Any suggestions? I tried adjusting, fidgeting with the kicker to no avail.
Thanks,
John

Mine did the same thing from day one. I just turned mine way down so it barely kicks out and hits the left flipper. Seems like I've heard of people sticking like a piece of foam on the left side of the scoop which makes the ball sit in a different position in the scoop. Not sure how that would work but turning down the eject power on the scoop will definitely fix your problem, it's just not as fun as when the ball doesn't come flying out of there.

1 week later
#3238 2 years ago
Quoted from huo:

I'm having what seems to be typical gameplay issues with my GB Prem.
Left scoop used to shoot to the right flipper tip, now SDTM. Changed coil to ~64 the max, made no difference. Tried the 18 that was recommended. Feels pretty lame coming out of the left scoop now. How does one modify to make it shoot to the right flipper?
Right orbit doesn't seem to register often. I think I read removing mylar, but I'm not going to do that. Can the switch just be adjusted to be higher maybe?
On all my games bought NIB in the past, I've never had so many out of the box issues than with this game. It is super fun though.

Not sure what to about the left scoop but I can tell you right now if you don't remove that piece of mylar that your switch isn't going to register on hard fast shots. Why wouldn't you want to remove the mylar in that orbit? The game is much more fun when that switch registers every time.

#3268 2 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Can you please bee more specific? what did they change/update, i am thinking about going for a Pro here. or a nib st pro, cant deside. Ive played GB LE and ST LE loved both games, but issues makes me hmmmmmmmh...
Also, something tells me pro has less stuff, and maby less problems, just a thought
Again, after SW announcemnt, GBs are for sale all over the place in europe now but offcourse same is with alot other pins

If you have the extra money for a premium GB than I would buy the premiums because yes it does have more "stuff" than the pro model and it's stuff that matters IMO like magna slings, subway ramp, and the nicer playfield toys.

The pro model is a good pin also but its just not the complete GB experience. If I had to decide on ST pro or GB pro, I maybe.would lean toward ST.......tough call.

As far as the issues that GB has, you are reading into this way too much and getting all worked up over nothing. None of the issues are a big deal and easy to fix. If you have no mechanical ability what so ever, not only is GB not for you, owning a pinball machine of any kind is probably not for you. I don't say that to be rude either so please don't take it that way, just being honest. Sometimes pinball machines need work, it's just the nature of this hobby.

#3302 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Reseat all connectors into boards should solve it.

Dang Art, you're the man bro.....good call on that!

#3313 2 years ago
Quoted from ecto1a2003:

WTF! one of my inserts is proud of the playfield, several others are cracking! i'm afraid to even play this thing now.

What is it doing? Looks like you may have a small amount of ghosting going on. Is it raised up or sunk in any or is it still level?

#3315 2 years ago
Quoted from ecto1a2003:

WTF! one of my inserts is proud of the playfield, several others are cracking! i'm afraid to even play this thing now.

When you say you have several inserts cracking I assume you have what they call crazing which is unfortunate but normal. If the insert that appears to be ghosting isn't raised or sunken, it may not get any worse. I know people who have inserts that have ghosted and they didn't keep getting worse and worse.

I personally wouldn't be afraid to play the game because the damage is already done and if it does get worse that just makes your case stronger to get a new playfield from Stern, so I'd play the hell out of it. What is the playfield date and how many plays do you have on the game?

#3327 2 years ago
Quoted from ecto1a2003:

the ghosting is one thing and it hasn't changed since i had the machine. the insert itself it slightly proud of the playfield and there is a crack along the edge of the insert all the way around it and several other inserts are cracking as well. Stern support is already sending a box to put the playfield in and will send me a new one that they claim does not have the issue.

Not sure what you mean by the insert is "proud" of the playfield? At any rate who cares, you have a brand new playfield coming that will be defect free.

#3331 2 years ago
Quoted from ecto1a2003:

Correct, sorry about that i'm set in my vocabulary. Sometimes i forget that. Anyway it has 397 plays on it. Ball marks everywhere.
My big concern is how long will the new playfield last? Another 400 games?

I don't really know how long your playfield will last but assuming it's a quality playfield, I don't think that you will ever have to.worry about wearing it.out in a home use environment. I know that I've definitely seen old games that had 50-60 thousand plays on them and the playfield still looked pretty good. There is one guy on here with a Star Trek that has nearly 20,000 plays on his game and it still looks good. You will get far more that 400 plays for sure.

My TWD has nearly 2,000 plays on it and still looks brand new and Chuckwurts GOT has over 6,000 on it I believe and it still looks good. You just got a bad playfield and that's why they are giving you a new one. When you get your new playfield, play the hell out of your game and enjoy it. Give it a good cleaning and waxing every 400-500 plays and change the balls once a year and it should last you a lifetime.

2 months later
#3444 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

For the drop targets, wasn't it recommended you make the springs even tighter? aka pull down and connect it lower on the spring to make the drop more sensitive?

Yes about 10 or 15 coils. I did that to mine and now they drop really nice.

1 week later
#3469 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Leave the mylar off. I removed the mylar on mine and never looked back. I don't think wear will be a problem on a home use game.

And even if it did it's in an area that you can't even see so it don't matter anyway. It's not going to wear in area anymore than it would anywhere else anyway I don't think.

1 month later
#3527 2 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Original in terms of it's the one that came with my GB - I never changed it. Whether it's the newest one, I don't know.
So is '2nd gen slimer' considered the 2.0 version?
I will call disto today.

Yes the original slimers has some problems and they changed some things on it and made it better.

5 months later
#3933 1 year ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

Thanks Vireland...I'm two for two on pinball repair attempts...these instructions were perfect to explain and what to avoid. (i.e. breaking the metal switch)

Vireland knows his sh*t!

1 week later
#3944 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

me too, they are brilliant - taking that annoying plastic airball protector off makes the game flow so much better.

Sounds like a good product, may pick a couple up myself. Is the install pretty easy?

#3946 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

yes, just undo a few screws and swap the new bracket for the old and re tighten and you are back to business.

Nice, thanks for the info. I will be ordering a couple for sure.

1 month later
#3980 1 year ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

Cross posting here. Quick question for those that know. Just unboxed a GB pro and the build date is October 2016. Pf looks beautiful but will I have issues with ghosting based on this date? I mean it's been sitting for nearly 2 years and no issues, so hoping for the best.

It is impossible for anyone to know if you will have playfield problems or not. Most playfields though in the later part of 2016 are good. My crystal ball says your playfield most likely will be fine. Hope this makes you feel better.

#3984 1 year ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. It had 650 plays on it after being unboxed at SFGE. When I got it home, I did notice the clear chipping on that corner where the balls enter the trough. Games wear and it doesn't bother me, but I'm happy knowing Stern will replace the PF if it does end up needing it.

They will replace it on a game if its fairly new but not a game that is older. If i were you i would buy some removable vinyl on Amazon and cut a small piece and place it over that area and you most likely will never have to worry about it getting any worse. I would also cut a small piece and put it in the shooter lane where the ball ejects out of the trough. You can buy buy cliffys for these areas as well to protect them but for now the removable vinyl would be some cheap insurance until you could get some cliffy protectors.

1 month later
#4021 1 year ago
Quoted from MorbidFetus:

Thinking of geting a new GB premium. Have stern fix alot of the problems or is it the same as the old versions?

You will still have to put the air ball deflector on i think and the protectors over the lane guides so the ball doesnt jump over them and give you cheap drains but it’s honestly not a big deal. As far as the playfield ghosting and clearcoat issues, that is all fixed as far as i know. I would not be afraid to buy a GB game right now personally.

#4027 1 year ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

FYI I believe he needs “real cliffys” instead of the thin cheap Stern ones, I had same issue. Cliffys product is thicker.

They all bend after they've been.on the game for awhile.

#4040 1 year ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

Good luck. I decided a few weeks to close my outlanes a peg down. It took me 2 hours to change both of them with about hour and a half on that right one. So frustrating. I removed as much as I could but that plastic right there was in the way. I had to really bend that plastic to get to it and numerous times I thought it was going to snap/crack. I am not changing or messing with anything over there again.

That right side is definitely a pain in the ass but its worth it isnt it? It didnt make a huge difference on my game but it made enough difference that the game is a little mire enjoyable now. I totally recommend moving the outlane posts in on GB.

4 months later
#4190 11 months ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

I posted a thread a few weeks ago with no response, Ive searched and talked to stern, no results. I have GB pro, my midnight madness does not work, yes its turned on at feature option 45, Ive tried it many many times, clock is set and working.. but still never works.. any ideas?

Try setting it more than 5 mins before playing. Set it like an hour ahead of time or try it the next day even and also make sure you are choosing am instead of pm, which im sure you have done but just sayin. Ive set mine like 5 minutes ahead and then started playing and it didnt work, i dont know why but it didnt.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside