New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 158288)

Ghostbuster Issue Thread

By exflexer

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,471 posts
  • 529 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by Fogdad
  • Topic is favorited by 148 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 713 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SwitchStatus (resized).jpg
TroughSwStatus (resized).JPG
screen-capture-1 (resized).png
0255267F-B344-4A63-AF52-98DC3187BF9D (resized).jpeg
1331CF7A-01AE-4406-9820-04400DCCBD5F (resized).jpeg
4108cb973a95ea7af25aed4b17fca9ebd79e350b.png (resized).png
15FB2563-1183-47AE-9CAD-29E28F48CE76 (resized).png
3E7F33D8-B885-40E3-9F8B-D3DEB2864FFA (resized).png
A4C49F70-C0D9-4E25-BF1A-2B738D764708 (resized).png
360A39C8-0C7C-413F-A84E-F2F5E058E086 (resized).png
IMG_4482 (resized).JPG
Ramp Postr (resized).jpg
Ramp Post (resized).jpg
IMG_20200225_234132 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200127_105230 (resized).jpg
Node 8 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Opening post with OP's index of topics Posted by exflexer (4 years ago)

Post #11 Photos of original slimer design Posted by exflexer (4 years ago)

Post #426 Images showing the redesigned Slimer mech Posted by kpg (4 years ago)

Post #430 Pro manual updated to reflect the new slimer mech Posted by kpg (4 years ago)

Post #528 Photos of the Pinball Universe kit installed on GB Posted by sirlonzelot (4 years ago)

Post #565 Link to Pinball Universe Upgrade kit (Germany) Posted by sirlonzelot (4 years ago)

Post #630 GB 1.05 code posted and readme details! Posted by PinB (4 years ago)

Post #662 Link to Pinballlife's alt springs for the Scoleri brothers targets Posted by exflexer (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sinestro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2415 3 years ago

Can anyone explain the best way to move the post on the right outline? The Terror Dog is attached to a metal plate which is bolted onto a plastic overlay. I see no way of removing it to move the post. I've tried to squeeze it through, but was afraid I was going to snap the plastic. Thought it was better to ask than to risk it.

Thanks!

#2421 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Take the plastic piece off (twinkie/rick moranis). Careful not to scratch it when sliding out and back in.

I'm at work, but if memory serves, that was one huge chunk of plastic and looked complicated to take off. I was hoping to avoid that.

#2437 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Remove containment unit, right return metal ramp and hex post, then like 3 nuts.

Got it done of the weekend. Thanks!

2 weeks later
#2521 3 years ago

The switch on my right orbit/Ecto lane doesn't register about 40% of the time, especially if I'm hitting it hard and fast. I've tried bending it, but I bent it so far it would close just but getting it screwed back in. I bent it back a little, but it's back to the 40% failure rate.

Any ideas?

#2525 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I attempted to adjust my switch the same as you did with little effect. Then I used micro needle nose pliers and tweezers to adjust the switch while it was still screwed onto the PF. It took some effort but I managed to bend the switch arm right by the switch contact point to where the slightest pressure would trip it but it wouldn't false. Works probably 95-98% of the time now.

I might just have to try that!

#2549 3 years ago

These are my pet peeves.

#1 When I shoot the ball into play, and try to catch with the left flipper, the ball usually bounces up and hits that little corner post sticking out below the library and heads for right between the flippers. Not every time, but enough to be super annoying. To me, the ball should bounce, then come to a rest on the left flipper.

#2 The gate situation is a mess in the Ecto lane. It's supposed to stop the ball from draining SDTM, but many times the ball manages to roll out around it and drain. Seems to me the gate should have been about a half and inch wider. Also, how in the WORLD does the one-way gate coming from the pops keep flying open and letting the ball get inside the pops sometimes? I'm still baffled how this is happening mechanically, but it is.

I have my game leveled around 7 degrees.

1 week later
#2597 3 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

I've thought about it, but you get 3x scoring when you knock them down.
Triple...Super...Jackpot!!!

Agreed. Mine work fine, so turning them off is not an option for me.

They are supposed to make the game more challenging. That's part of the design.

#2613 3 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Has anyone adjusted their flippers up a small amount? They seem kind of 'droopy' to me.

They are by that why by design, to hit the extreme left and right shots.

#2651 3 years ago

The switch behind Stay-Putt isn't a code issue. It's a design flaw because fast balls sent up the Ecto Lane lift off the ground when they go around the corner and the switch isn't depressed enough. Likewise, a softer plunge up the Ecto Lane seems to almost alway work.

I tried bending my switch to make it more sensitive, but the switch would close when I screwed it back in. I bent it back to get it working again, but same % of failure.

Stern should have put another Opto in there, or a physically different switch that could be closed when a fast ball is shot through the Ecto Lane.

#2652 3 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I think the problem was brought up with the plastic shooter lane protector that I put there as it raises the ball up a bit. I will try to adjust the switch, thanks!

I had trouble with this too. I eventually turned down the power to the ball trough, and now it works perfectly. The problem was that the ball was bouncing off the Cliffy steel wall protector and back into the trough, so the shooter lane switch wasn't triggered, and the game shot both out on the retry.

Try experimenting with a lower power settings. Drop it a 5 points at a time until you get a consistent 1 ball in the shooter lane.

#2655 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I tried tweaking the switch actuator, but it only helped a little. We need to come up with a way to keep the ball from gaining air on that shot. I was thinking about installing some kind of cardboard flap that is hinged to the back of the ecto goggles. The cardboard would lay directly over the lane, but it would have some give due to the hinge. This might keep the ball low enough to register the switch more often. I plan on experimenting with this when I get a chance.

I had something similar in mind, but was just spitballing in my head. I'd be curious to see what you come up with.

#2663 3 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

I adjusted the switch blade and that did help, but also added this plastic. I may do another revision and extend the plastic a bit further down, but will keep testing first.

Might you sell this once perfected? Or share the specs?

#2671 3 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

I don't intend in selling, but can post a image of my final version.

That would be great!

#2677 3 years ago
Quoted from CyberNinja24:

Installed the shorter 1 5/8 inch hex spacer on my right ramp tonight. I had to smile after my first shot ran up the right ramp and smoothly made the turn. I figured we had it. However, the more I played, the more I had shots roll back down, just like it used to. It still seems better than before, but I'd like to get it perfect. Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

Same thing with me. I think there is no "perfect". It's a hard shot. All we've done is make it less hard.

#2685 3 years ago

Moved the flippers up to be less droopy and the game played terrible. Ball coming out of the Ecto lane would normally land safely on the right flipper. Now, it was bouncing off the flipper, hitting the sling, and draining. Tried lowering the flippers a bit, with the same result. Moved them back to their stock position. and everything was fine. Lesson learned, the game was designed with the droopy flippers in mind.

#2690 3 years ago

I guess I'm not understanding....this is bent?

#2692 3 years ago

Got it.

Thanks!

#2699 3 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I put the shorter spacer on mine and it didn't really seem to help a whole lot. It has to be an absolutely perfect shot with some steam on it to make the full ramp still.

It's not a huge difference, but every little bit helps.

#2701 3 years ago

I find the hole in Stern's decals to be helpful when aligning the blades.

#2724 3 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Man I wish it was that easy.
I have even used my dremel to remove and round out that bracket, I've tried washers to angle it , etc. The game plays best with it gone in my case.

What happens when it's gone and you hit up the firehouse lane? Does it roll back into the shooter lane?

#2735 3 years ago

A user in another thread suggested that the mylar strip on the echo lane is causing the "lift" that causes hard shots not to register. They said that earlier Premiums didn't have the mylar, and had no issue with the switch not registering, and that it should be removed.

Anyone not having issues on their Ecto Lane missing the Mylar? I have it, and I have the issue.

#2737 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Are you talking about the switch registering on the right orbit? I have a prem from Sept with no issues. Looked around that area and didn't see mylar.....
although now my game isn't saving anymore so who knows!

Yes. Hard shots don't register, soft shots do.

Mine came in November and had the Mylar.

#2745 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

No luck in reaching Stern customer service yet in the meantime can somebody take a close up picture of the battery in the back box so I can compare mine to one that's working thank you

They're not open on the weekends.

#2791 3 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I think I know the answer, but nobody has figured out how to replace the audio on Spike systems yet have they? That song on 'We've got one" drives me crazy...haha
Also, Stern gives us the ability now to control the backbox brightness, which is great! BUT, would it be too hard to have the option of the backbox LED's to just dim during gameplay and then back to full brightness in attract mode? It seems like this should be pretty easy for them to do with the new LED system.

Yes, with the Pinball Browser you can change audio, DMD images, and Video in the Ecto Goggles. I have the Bobby Brown song added, and Vigo in the Goggles.

Agree 100% with you on the backbox lighting. I have turned my lighting down to 10% to get rid of the glare, but it would be nice if it went back to 100% during the attract mode. Stern, Dwight, are you reading this?

#2795 3 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Is it just as straight forward as replacing a song on a SAM game? I did that on AC/DC and it wasn't too bad.

Yes. Nothing has changed in the basic use of Pinball Browser.

#2815 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's good, and also a bit concerning, to know. Thanks. I'm surprised Stern hasn't fixed the issue this long into production...
Is there a fix for the right orbit switch not registering?

Supposedly, the problem is the mylar Stern added to the right orbit, right before the switch. Earlier Premiums didn't have the mylar, and based on talking to a couple of people without it, they don't have the issue.

I have mylar on my right orbit, and I have the problem.

#2833 3 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Yes. Hard shots don't register, soft shots do.
Mine came in November and had the Mylar.

**CONFIRMED** It's the damn Mylar. I removed it today and the shot worked perfectly 100% of the time, no matter how hard the flip.

If you have problems with the Ecto lane shot not registering 100% of the time, especially with harder shots, and you have Mylar in the lane, remove it.

IMG_2107 (resized).JPG

#2836 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

How hard was the mylar to peel off? I can't really see why it would be needed so much in that area can you?

It was easy. First time I ever did it too. Peeled up a little corner, then sprayed some compressed air upside down to freeze it. Pulled up with some pliers a little. Spray, pull, repeat until it comes off. Soaked some of my wife's nail polish remover in a paper towel, then wiped off the glue. Did a final polish with Novus 1. Whole thing took 10 minutes, tops.

I don't see why it would be needed there.

#2839 3 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

I think it is there to protect PF wear from balls coming off the ramp from the ball launch. Not sure what impact it would have in a home enviroment, likely little. However for operators, I would not want to remove it.

Yeah, but who's going to see if back there? It's not like in front of the scoops.

Also, if it's to save the PF from the ball launch, it only need to cover the little area where the ball drops. That alone would probably not cause the airlift. But it's long and stretches back down the lane.

#2840 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I may be doing the same thing this weekend because it pisses me off when that shot doesn't register

It pissed me off one too many times!

#2844 3 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

I was wondering why mine wasnt registering.
I got a few airballs after about 40 plays and I have dimples in my PF already. Is that supposed to happen or is it due to a low quality clearcoat on these things?
I dont want what else to do to limit the airballs. I already have the airball plastic,

Dimples are normal.

#2865 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Guys Sinestro is right, its DEFINITELY 100% the strip of mylar that is in there. I like my game a million times better now, thank you Sinestro!! I am not worried about any damage in this are either for two reasons. #1 you cant see the area even if it did have some playfield wear and #2 my GOT is designed exactly the same way and it doesnt have a mylar piece on the playfield and ive got about 1000 plays on my GOT. This is the fix 100 percent. The mylar also peels up easily. I got it started with my fingernail and then grabbed it with a pair of needle nose pliers and slowly pulled it up. It left a little glue residue and I soaked a rag with Novus 1 and the glue cleaned off easily with just a little bit of scrubbing. Thanks again Sinestro, you da man dude!

Glad it worked for you too!

A nice gal over on Tilt named Redhop gave me the solution, and boy am I thankful!

#2869 3 years ago

I sent an email in to Stern detailing this problem, and the fix.

They emailed me just now saying they would pass the info along.

#2872 3 years ago

Best bet for rough plunges is to replace the springs for both the manual plunger and auto plunger.

Easy and cheap. Did this the first week I had it.

#2915 3 years ago
Quoted from BernieK:

For anyone's that's removed the mylar on a premium... before I dig into this, can you advise on how much dissasembly is needed to get access and clean up the glue afterwards? Any other tips on how to do this would definitely be appreciated. - THANKS

Zero disassembly. I was able to pull it off using pliers and freezing it with compressed air turned upside down. Cleanup glue with a paper towel soaked in nail polish remover.

#2944 3 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

I wonder if just adjusting the switch does the same.
Removing the mylar would be the same as raising the wire on the switch. (bending wire upward to switch is pressed sooner)

Tried that too, no success.

Be gone, mylar!

1 week later
#3025 3 years ago

Saw something really strange tonight. Was in "Spook Central", hit the Subway ramp to collect the Hurry Up, and "We Got One" started! Both modes played at the same time, with he shot arrows alternating their respective colors.

Anyone else ever seen two ladder modes running simultaneously?

#3037 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

mine seems to remember what the initial ball launch skill shot was during the ball save time period
- if I plunged around to the left flipper and then I lost the ball it would remember this shot, so
- if I plunged to the top lanes and drained it would plunge to the top - assuming the gate stays closed
- if I plunged short so the ball doesn't go to the top lanes but just exited out of the shorter lane and then dropped down to the right flipper it would just sit the ball in the lane waiting for me to manual launch
during a multiball all balls go to the top in lanes only.

That's crazy if true! I never noticed that before!

Going to have to experiment tonight.

#3056 3 years ago

I've ran into the post-pass issue a few times in GB, and it pisses me off too.

Ironically, my 4 year old seems to have it down pat.

#3064 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's not so much the post passing for me, it's if you catch the ball and it rolls up to the tip of your flipper and you need to give it a little flick to keep the ball from rolling off of you the flipper. Sometimes I will tap the flipper button a little and it doesn't activate the flipper and it rolls off of my flipper and drains.

Yeah, it's all related. The little tap doesn't work right all the time.

1 week later
#3090 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Shapeways wanted me to strengthen up the sprue to link the 2 wedges so now it has 2 sprues which needed to be beefed up (their request). 3 doesn't work and 4 ended up costing the same as 2 x twin packs due to the volume of space they use up as there is 5-6mm of nothing between the 2 sets and they charge you for the volume including the gaps - so 2 pack kit is final - sorry but think it is still affordable and is worthwhile to cut down on the airballs and resulting dimples.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/ULXAHMCWL/stern-pinball-target-wedge-4-degree-twin-pack?optionId=62462025
enjoy

trim the 2 branches off to look like this

Got these last week. So far, they seem to work great! Ball can still bounce off erratically, but no more hitting the glass.

I'm satisfied.

I did find that original screws are long enough to re-use....at least on my game.

#3118 3 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

Hey guys. I installed swinks 4 degree Target Wedges located here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/ULXAHMCWL/stern-pinball-target-wedge-4-degree-twin-pack?optionId=62462025
Installed was simple. FYI You need to purchase (2) 6-32 X 3/4 inches long machine screw to replace the screw on each target.
I try and play tonight to tell you if it made much of a difference.

My original screws worked just fine on the wedges. I found no need for replacement ones.

1 month later
#3338 3 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

Is there any other shooter lanes mod? Noticing with the ball travels up the ramp it hits a the lip of a metal barrier causing it fly of course into stay puff or brick. contact is at the very top of the lane because of mis-alignment?

Get the orange spring for the manual shooter rod, and the high compression spring for the auto-launcher.

1 month later
#3406 3 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

More GB bugs. This time found in the final wizard mode. We used to have a list compiled to share with Dwight but I think we all gave up hope a long time ago, far far away...
ยป YouTube video

The final wizard mode hasn't been programmed yet!

1 month later
#3464 3 years ago
Quoted from orb:

hey all!
i have 2 questions or problems.
1 does anyone notice the right orbit the switch dosnt connect with ball? there is a mylar strip on pf right before it.
i took off the mylar and it worked. but i am afraid of wear there and there is a reason for the mylar so i stuck it back on and now the ball goes over switch too fast or rises or something and it dosnt go off all the time. anyone notice this problem?

Common problem. I removed my Myalr, so have many others. I wouldn't sweat it.

5 months later
#3671 2 years ago

Mine started doing this recently, after I waxed the playfield and put new balls in. It's just going to fast right now.

I think things will return to normal when the games is less clean and the balls less new.

1 month later
#3865 2 years ago

For those who want to become owners of Ghostbusters and are reading this thread, I have an immaculate Premium for sale now with many Stern accessories, improvements, custom code.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/62159

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.99
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sinestro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside