Topic Stats

• 4,357 posts
  • 508 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Rager170
  • Topic is favorited by 143 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Drop-target-assembly500-9960-00-01 (resized).jpg
file2 (resized).jpeg
file1 (resized).jpeg
file (resized).jpeg
20190922_151526 (resized).jpg
20190922_194026 (resized).jpg
IMG_6764 (resized).JPG
IMG_6762 (resized).JPG
IMG_6763 (resized).JPG
IMG_6753 (resized).JPG
IMG_6752 (resized).JPG
IMG_6751 (resized).JPG
IMG_6749 (resized).JPG
20190808_225010 (resized).jpg
20190808_225339 (resized).jpg
20190808_225658 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #1 Opening post with OP's index of topics Posted by exflexer (3 years ago)

Post #11 Photos of original slimer design Posted by exflexer (3 years ago)

Post #426 Images showing the redesigned Slimer mech Posted by kpg (3 years ago)

Post #430 Pro manual updated to reflect the new slimer mech Posted by kpg (3 years ago)

Post #528 Photos of the Pinball Universe kit installed on GB Posted by sirlonzelot (3 years ago)

Post #565 Link to Pinball Universe Upgrade kit (Germany) Posted by sirlonzelot (3 years ago)

Post #630 GB 1.05 code posted and readme details! Posted by PinB (3 years ago)

Post #662 Link to Pinballlife's alt springs for the Scoleri brothers targets Posted by exflexer (3 years ago)

Post #709 Videos of the Pinballlife outlane plastics in use for GB Posted by Pinzzz (3 years ago)

Post #876 tatman9999 photos of his Titan Rubbers in green on GB Posted by tatman9999 (3 years ago)

Post #1034 Photos of mismatched flipper side rails installed on factory game Posted by Trekkie1978 (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#129 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I find it odd that there are flipper issues. I would think Stern would have those kind of things bullet proof by now.

It has not been bulletproof though, which was evident by the node 8 failures on GoT. Node 8 is lower flippers. They also should fix the GI flicker while they are at it. This isn't 1980 anymore....

Rob

1 week later
#338 3 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

Besides the fixes someone please made a plastic protector set especially for the slings. There is already a massive crack in the left slingshot plastic. This is a location machine so wear and tear is expected. Clear, blue, or purple would look sweet.

That crack is another obvious sign that the lane guides are too low. Are they just pounded into the playfield?

Rob

1 week later
#437 3 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

Anyone else notice this bug in the current version of the code?:
When arrow shots are lit at the left scoop (either to start a mode or make progress in a mode), shooting the left scoop will NOT credit you for the shot. However, the game will recognize that the ball is in the scoop & kick it back out. So, the switch is recognizing the ball is in the left scoop, but it is not giving credit for the shot. This happened multiple times to me today while playing on location, and it was random in occurrence. Sometimes the shots would count while other times they would not.

This happened a lot with the scoop on KISS. The problem is that the switch closes, but doesn't stay closed when the ball goes in there. The game code fires the coil to eject the ball, but doesn't score anything because the switch was open again. It could be a similar issue with GB.

Rob

#477 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Hopefully now that my distributor has stepped in Stern will back up my warranty and send me the redesigned mech.

Technically there is no warranty on Slimer because Stern doesn't express any warranty beyond display and electronics. Now having said that, I'm sure they will work something out for those with problems.

Rob

2 months later
#1054 3 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

After 24 hours of playing, slimer has scratched the black finish above the captive ball. I saw there was Mylar there but his metal bolt ass was scraping to the right of it. I stuck another piece of Mylar there to stop or slow it down but it looks like shit. WTF?

Quoted from Manic:

Look into some threads as others have raised him and shaved his ass.
Strange they couldn't manage this monumental issue at the factory though...

This is something that should have been fixed in production as it was an obvious issue even with the first LE built that was shown and played livestream. It looks like crap when it drags across those playfield parts.

Rob

#1146 3 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

Does anyone have the ability to make a new ramp flap that is shorter for the left ramp to prevent the airballs? Look at the pro-type's in the videos, the flaps were behind the targets, so no airballs from targets. Question is did the shorter flap cause other issues that we are not seeing?

My pro still gets the occasional airball from the target at the ramp entrance.

Rob

#1155 3 years ago

I played a GB pro today which has been on route for about 3 months now. No ghosting or chipping on the playfield at all.

Rob

#1156 3 years ago

I put a piece of mylar down in the right orbit where the ball lands from launching into play.

Rob

#1164 3 years ago

The plunger spring is too strong. A full plunge, just like the autolaunch can send the ball slamming into the orbit and the marshmallow man. The spring I can replace, but the SPIKE code really needs optional power settings for flippers and ball launch solenoids as well.

Flipper power became too strong starting with GoT and the newer 2 lug design (in my opinion).

If Stern won't code a weaker autolaunch, then I suppose a weaker coil is in order.

Rob

#1176 3 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

What power are people changing the left scoop to get reliable returns?
Thanks

20 and it feeds the left flipper.

Rob

#1202 3 years ago

Did anyone (not) notice that GB has better sound compared to previous SPIKE games? No pops, crackles, volume ramping etc?

Rob

#1217 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

I notized today that the pop bumpers do not hold every 2equal choices. They do e.g. for " big points", but not for "Storage facility" or others. Have you notized that als well? Is it a bug?

That could be bug. When 2 items are shown they are supposed to lock in place.

Rob

#1237 3 years ago

My GB pro is still holding up well. No chipping or ghosting. I have maybe 150 plays.

Rob

#1248 3 years ago

Can anyone spot what this guy is doing wrong. Ok I will give a hint

gb (resized).jpg

gb2 (resized).jpg

#1253 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Shirt stripes are suppose to be yellow and blue and not blue and yellow on Tuesday, assembly day?
Seriously, no idea...maybe the guys coming home from work can guess.

If you watch the video on facebook, the guy hammers the ball guide in way too far on the side closest to the flipper. Plus he doesn't use a height gauge on the end farthest away from the flipper until after he's hammered it in.

Rob

#1261 3 years ago

GB Pro (July 28th build)

168 plays in and no ghosting, but the shooter lane did finally chip. Mylar will not prevent this either. The ball eject on this game is just so hard that something like this is inevitable I think. No, I'm not concerned about it as I'll just continue to play my game.

Rob

20160831_002802 (resized).jpg

#1262 3 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

I moved the flippers up to align with the metal lane guide instead of pointing down.

I would not recommend this because the slight droop is necessary to make the side shots more attainable. Some have changed the flipper angle and then reverted it back because of this.

Rob

#1263 3 years ago

Check the mylar on your bumper area. Mine isn't installed quite right and leaves a large gap around the lower bumper. I'll have to lay down another piece to cover the gap.

20160831_024339 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1282 3 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes during gameplay pressing both flippers at the same time results in the lower playfield GI lights to go off? and then as soon as you release they come back on. (both at the same time). Then everything goes back to normal and it won't happen again and I have no idea what exact circumstances make it happen. Just noticed it more than once. Perhaps normal? Bug?

It could be a bad node board.

Rob

#1285 3 years ago

Bubbled add-a-ball insert - I say bubbled because it looks like dozens of tiny bubbles in the insert. Quite a few inserts on my GB pro have some degree of this 'bubbling' effect. It's very noticeable from a player perspective, but can't be seen from straight above. 2 or 3 inserts on my GoT Pro have this too, but it's way worse on GB. Tobin's is affected as well. It was like this right out of the box. There is no lifting, cracking or ghosting on the inserts though after maybe 250 games?

Rob

20160915_225208 (resized).jpg

#1292 3 years ago
Quoted from xyntec:

on my machine I just see 1 page turning, and then a list of 5 awards and then the game goes on, so no clue what's happening there, anyone else has this?

Are you flipping the flippers? This will abort the animations..

If not, then perhaps you have an intermittent switch registering (somewhere) that is causing the animations to abort.

Rob

#1298 3 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Mine mostly does the complete animation with the page with all the awards followed by each award read out individually before the ball is release, but also sometimes it gets to the awards pages then skips the reading out each award individually part and fires the ball out so I have to be ready incase it doesn't read them out. It doesn't seem to be linked to whether I flipped or not, just seems completely random.

I have a pro, so maybe it's something in the LE code? Shrugs.

Rob

#1313 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

+1
not a strange thing, but most a small software bug

Yeah, my pro does that too. I'd rather see no scoleri's come up during SFMB...

Rob

4 weeks later
#1465 3 years ago

In an effort to reduce/eliminate the airballs off the left ramp on my pro I did the following. I remove the target assemblies and bent the mounting point of the bracket about 5 degrees. These brackets are tough so you may need 2 pairs of pliers. I used a vice grip to hold and pliers to bend. Make sure you bend it the right way too and don't over do it! About 5 degrees (roughly) is all you need. The difference is very noticeable now. Edge shots off the targets bounce slightly off the playfield instead of being ballistic moon shots. You cannot visible tell anything was done either because the angle change is slight.

Edit: It does not 100% eliminate airballs, but significantly reduces them. I was playing and trying to cause airballs by hitting the 2x and 3x targets. I did get a medium airball off the 2x once. Most other times the ball just bounced about 1/4 inch or less off the playfield.

These target brackets are really well designed and strong! The design even keeps them from fanning out sideways.

Rob

20161023_003004 (resized).jpg

#1466 3 years ago
Quoted from Jive:

Has anyone had cabinet issues like this?
Right corner:

Left corner:

Another angle of left corner:

Oddly, the decal on the outside is fine. This leads me to believe that the cabinet was like this before the side decals were installed.

Some people have had similar cabinet issues. Namely the font corners coming apart and the wrap around decal tearing.

Rob

#1474 3 years ago

Can someone please post a picture of the autolaunch coil assembly. I need to know where the paper piece goes.

Nevermind, the manual shows it.

Rob

#1475 3 years ago

I (really) stretched out the spring on the autolauncher coil and it seems enough (so far) to keep the autolaunched balls under control. It's a weak spring so it may not last, but it's worth a shot since I don't have another suitable spring right now.

Rob

#1485 3 years ago

Install the new code and turn the ball eject power down to 176 (lowest) as soon as possible. The default eject power is way too strong and that's why it's chipping.

Rob

1 week later
#1565 3 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

This is more a STERN issue or a "Don't let this happen to you" video .
The link is time linked right before the "oops" .
I feel real his heart break.
» YouTube video

As soon as I started to see how he was lifting the playfield, I knew what was going to happen.

Rob

#1584 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

New version 1.11 available!

As noted in other threads, you may want to avoid 1.11.

Rob

#1585 3 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

So, this started happening yesterday. When going for the skill shot, as soon as the ball is launched and goes through the gate, it registers the skill shot as being made, doesn't wait for it to go down the correct lane.
I thought maybe a bug with 1.10. Just install 1.11 and problem still persists.
Has anyone else experienced this??

Which skill shot registers as being made? Have you checked all the switches in switch test mode? Pro or Premium/LE model?

Rob

#1594 3 years ago

Has anyone figured out how terror dog scoring works, or how to beat the 75 million champion? It never awards the value shown on the countdown.

Rob

#1681 3 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Why not just take a rubber ring and cut it and slip it over the end of the rail? I did this, actually a stack of two rings, maybe 5/16". It will reduce the mega gap and also provide bounce so the ball doesn't just slip into the outlane.

I cut a black post rubber in half, trimmed the pieces a bit more and put it on the end of the rail. It works real well.

Rob

2 weeks later
#1931 3 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

The other weird one is the ball is coming to the end of the ramp and spinning to the farthest inlane (instead of the inner where it drops)

My pro does this and I actually like that... The extra momentum allows me the choice of either shooting from the right flipper or letting the ball roll to the left flipper.

Rob

1 week later
#2025 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeCP:

Here's another video I got, showing the contact in slow-mo.
» YouTube video

What pitch level do you have the game set at? I'd suggest 7 degrees for GB and even GoT.

Rob

#2087 2 years ago

I really find this mod to be one of the best things I have done on my game, and also one of the easiest. I cut down some black post rubbers, put a slit in them and then placed them on the top of the outlane guides. It really helps with ball control, reduces ball hopping and makes the outlanes a little more forgiving. I know others have done something similar, but I thought I'd share my 2 cents.

Rob

20161219_175510 (resized).jpg

20161219_175425 (resized).jpg

#2092 2 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Rob, I've considered doing this as well, but thought they would eventually loosen up and fall off the posts. How firm or tight is the rubber to prevent them from coming loose?
Thanks!

I have yet to have one come off. Make sure you leave them tall enough.

Rob

#2094 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thats a Great way to go Rob, and I have done it to mine!
I did have some issues with them staying on, so out came the glue!
Where I am now is gluing this to the underside of the protector and slit, so the plastic is helping with the hold.
I am not sure yet whether it will be needed to glue to lane guide as well.
Has yours been hit, and flown off?
I found it helps best with a nudge and energy transfer. Instead of bricking metal against metal, it allows a nudge for lane control we all enjoy.
It helped with lane hops too, cutting them down 25%-30%.
Ultimately, nothing to lose to try...
Im happy keeping them both!

They helped a lot with lane hopping to the outlanes and also made the outlanes a little less brutal. I never had any issue with them coming off, even after a few hundred games. These post rubbers are not that soft so I think that helped with them staying on.

Rob

#2097 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Your likely right, Rob.
It could be the height...I dont have much height on my rails to do so, so I started with post rings.
Ill check again...I have Cliffy, Titan, regular, and Thin Stern.
Which did you use?
I only tried a Cliffy Post sleeve.....

Just a regular, black post sleeve - nothing fancy or brand name.

Rob

#2109 2 years ago
Quoted from mcfly:

does anyone have a fix for the ball just endlessly staying in the pops near the gozer target???? It just goes back and forth and its driving me crazy, and I shouldn't have to nudge it every time it goes there either. These friggin pops are driving me crazy, it stays in there for waaay to long. I have tried the different power options in the settings and nothing works. I shouldn't write angry but I am getting that way about the design of this machine that stops it from being fun. I hate it when the ball goes into the pops now.

What pitch do you have the playfield at? Try increasing the pitch by raising the back legs a bit. I find 7 degrees works well.

Rob

#2151 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Still not sure why people love this game with all the flaws it has from the factory

In spite of its flaws, it's still a very fun game to play! But, the multiballs do need to be spiffed up a bit.

Rob

#2166 2 years ago
Quoted from omgitsadam:

Anyone run into the Librarian scoop coil becoming underpowered? I have a GB Pro on 1.10 and when my coil pops to put the ball back in play, it barely makes it to the flipper. Center drains half the time now.
I tried adjusting the strength in the menu but it doesn't matter if it's on max 64 or 30... same result.

I had mine set at 21 which was pefect for feeding the left flipper. But, then lately it started shooting out like I had it set at a softer setting and the ball was hitting the slingshot. I may bump it to 22 now.

Rob

2 weeks later
#2307 2 years ago
Quoted from thebred:

I have 127 plays on my GB Pro (1.11) and just today I'm experiencing issues with the Left Ramp Coil. I went into the service mode and tested the coil - I saw it was barely pulling the diverter. I cut the power, powered the game back on and ran the test again and the diverter pulled just fine. My first game it seemed to work, and the following game my diverter quit again. I ran the coil test again - same issue. The coil won't pull the diverter mech.
Anyone else experiencing this or know possible causes?

It sounds like a mechanical issue with the coil. Maybe it's binding? I think my game had something similar happen for a short while where it wasn't diverting balls on the ramp. But, it suddenly wasn't a problem any more so I've not done anything further with it.

Rob

#2314 2 years ago
Quoted from Bwilson:

So I got my new boards today.
Looks like I got a revised node 8 it is a completely different part number. Got my new CPU installed as well. Looks like it fixed everything expect for the fact that the playfield GI would still flicker and dim. So... right back to were I was before. I traced the problem back to the node 8d board... ugh. If I leave this board unhooked the game plays like a champ for hours on end no flicker... moment you hook that board up... game starts flickering and acting werid. So... I think it's safe to say I finally killed off my last gremlin. They are sending me out a new node 8d and I hope to God this is the last board I replace in this damn thing. Game has been out of commision for almost a month... damn it feels good to play GB again. Ready to put this one to bed!!

Dip switches on the node board set right?

Rob

#2317 2 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Is the right orbit issue a design flaw or a code issue where maybe the opto isn't on? I've fixed pretty much every other issue on my premium but this. It used to be about once every several shots wouldn't register but twice tonight I shot 3 in a row they didn't register.
Should I call my distributor and have him look at it? Or is there nothing that can be done?

This happened on my pro too. I think you just need to keep playing and the ball will eventually slow down a little and it hopefully won't be an issue any more.

Rob

1 month later
#2498 2 years ago
Quoted from Jonjon74:

I received my NIB Ghostbusters Pro and I'm not exactly happy with these inserts. Wanted to get someone else's option before I call Stern. Also The Pin has a Jan 12, 2017 date with a Oct 19, 2016 playfield.
Am I making a big deal of nothing...
Check out the pics.
Thanks

My GB Pro has this too, just like yours. No problems ghosting though. I wouldn't bother calling Stern as they will say it's normal.

Rob

1 week later
#2533 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Keep in mind that some right orbit shots will not activate unless you make it all the way around to the left side. So you try backhanding it up and only makes it to the pops, does not count, is not a switch problem. It's the way certain shots are programmed.

This is changed in the latest code. Full orbits are not required any more to even qualify scenes.

Rob

#2540 2 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

I totally removed it , ball spends plenty of time in the pops as it is and it allows full left orbit shots while at the same time creating more flow to the game .
I tried everything imaginable to adjust that top right gate ,including cutting off the excess metal corners to a nice rounded edge with my dremel. Finally said screw works great with out it .

Good plan! I might consider doing this too. At least for a while to see how it works.

Rob

2 weeks later
#2598 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

True, but I bet I get higher scores overall by disabling them. The game is a lot easier when those drop targets aren't constantly blocking your shots.

You can get even higher scores by closing the outlanes completely! The scoleri targets are meant to be a bit of a nuisance. But, I think they are under-utilized if all they do is triple the super jackpot.

Rob

#2607 2 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

Reinstalled code and problem not showing up now?

Did you change the springs on the targets? Maybe the springs are too strong and causing the targets to not stay up.

Or

Loose connection and the game thinks the target is down (opto sensor false trigger). 1 scoleri hit = 1 ghost captured in SFMB. I doubt this was a code issue.

Rob

#2636 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Guys are there anymore slimer fixes for it the first gen mech? I did move the wire to the center and it helped for a while but doesn't appear to mattter at this point. Did stern ever replace first gen mechs with the newer design?

Maybe I'm wrong, but the old design seems to be an open switch circuit that closed to signify a hit, and the updated one is a closed switch circuit that opens? The slimer on my game is all the way forward and it works fine.

Rob

20170317_024338[308] (resized).jpg

1 month later
#3046 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You are going to be shocked by how much of a difference removing that mylar makes.

It's funny because I added mylar to my pro in that area and have no issue.

Rob

#3047 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I have this exact same issue with with the flippers on my GB premium. It makes it very hard to do the little finesse moves like tap passes, post passes, etc ... On most games, a quick release and re-press will cause the flipper to flutter ever so slightly. When I do this on GB, the flipper often doesn't move at all. Like you said, you can even hit the button rapidly many times in a row without the flipper dropping even the slightest. I tried making the gap on the flipper button switches a little wider. This helped a bit, but the flippers still don't react like they are supposed to. My only other Spike game is GoT, and those flippers work perfectly. I sure would like to get to the bottom of this.

That sounds like some kind of mechanical issue. Did it always do this or just start?

Rob

2 weeks later
#3117 2 years ago
Quoted from eg2k83:

I am looking for help with my ball save launcher. It keeps dropping below the shooter rod.

It's not assembled correctly or did the screw head break off? The screw goes through the pivot point (#9).

Untitled (resized).jpg

1 week later
#3183 2 years ago
Quoted from kingau:

I am having the same problem on my GB pro. I just bought it NIB and every time Slimer or the Scoleri brothers pop up, the left flipper stops working. Even the sling lights go out, and then come back on. I looked at the setting and it says to check the EOS switch D10 ? Can someone help?

I would strongly recommend contacting your distributor for assistance. Did you buy it locally? It almost sounds like a loose connection or maybe a flakey node board (8?)

Rob

2 months later
#3405 2 years ago

There's a few more bugs not in your list, but they have been reported. I don't have my GB any more so I obviously have no horse in this race. I would like to own a premium someday, but only if the game code gets cleaned up. I don't really care if AYAG is ever in the game, but I really wanted to see difficulty settings in the game menu to adjust things like ghost collection difficulty as an example. That is one of my top pet peeves with the current game code. It just made that part of the game too easy and 99% of the time I was playing through Loopin Supers/PKE Frenzy along with SFMB. I know I wasn't the only one who didn't like this.

Is it even possible to get SFMB more than once in a game? I couldn't figure out how to relight the captive balls to qualify the locks.

Rob

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Machine - For Sale
Hampton Roads, VA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside