main-qimg-70f0cc5a9d7263efec90c4b221738a5b (resized).jpg
IMG_4729 (resized).jpg
IMG_4732 (resized).JPG
IMG_4731 (resized).JPG
SwitchStatus (resized).jpg
TroughSwStatus (resized).JPG
screen-capture-1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Opening post with OP's index of topics Posted by exflexer (8 years ago)

Post #11 Photos of original slimer design Posted by exflexer (7 years ago)

Post #426 Images showing the redesigned Slimer mech Posted by kpg (7 years ago)

Post #430 Pro manual updated to reflect the new slimer mech Posted by kpg (7 years ago)

Post #528 Photos of the Pinball Universe kit installed on GB Posted by sirlonzelot (7 years ago)

Post #565 Link to Pinball Universe Upgrade kit (Germany) Posted by sirlonzelot (7 years ago)

Post #630 GB 1.05 code posted and readme details! Posted by PinB (7 years ago)

Post #662 Link to Pinballlife's alt springs for the Scoleri brothers targets Posted by exflexer (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brandonx76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3780 6 years ago

Hey all,

Possibly a common prob...but an issue I am seeing with my recently acquired GB Prem...has to do with the initial plunge of the ball, and the Orbit lock that allows it to go down the lane and get the target shot (i.e. to start 'ok who brought the dog'?)

I'm noticing a about 30% of the time the ball appears to hit the orbit switch despite a full plunge...and ends up going down the P/K/E area...keeping me from starting a scene quickly (game counts as a miss the ball going down the P/K/E - bumper area)

Here's a video of what's happening.

Check out the :19-21 second mark...and again around :27 mark

Was watching this is slow motion, the first hit and it does look like the ball bouncing off the corner below the beginning of the latch/Orbit latch...with the clearance on this latch, I wonder if this is normal? The second hit seems to suggest the latch is hanging low, or wasn't triggered to rise up.

Any information appreciated. Thanks for taking a look!!

cheers

#3782 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Looks like maybe the gate isn't raising *quite* high enough and is stopping the ball dead. Slo-mo filming mode and better lighting would be more helpful for diagnosis.

Hey - Thanks for taking a look. Hmm, same video but made some video tweaks and shortened/slowed down

I can try another video with better lighting tomorrow.

If the gate isn't raising quite high enough, any suggestions?

#3786 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Does the problem occur on a manual plunge, auto plunge, or both? I had something similar happening with my game on a full manual plunge. The issue was greatly mitigated by switching to a lower tension spring.

Happens both... think it happens more on auto plunge...current approach is that I have to do a full plunge to get any success to make the orbit...and it is at least mostly slowed if anything around the plunge orbit because it hits the latch to some degree.

It is interesting however, I haven't had a scenario that I can recall where hitting the right ramp (to start who brought the dogs for example) that it doesn't successfully make the orbit)...seems to be that it's a problem that occurs on the plunge exclusively.

#3787 6 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

just a quick question on your problem. Is there any mylar near the top of the right orbit before entering the PKE's. I found I had mylar that would stop the ball from activating the switch to raise the gate. I'm thinking maybe yours is making the switch but possibly a little airbourne when travelling towards the gate

Hi Thanks - hmm, no mylar..I have noticed sometimes the ball doesn't hit the trigger at full plunge, and so the latch doesn't open (the last ball in my video is an example of this)...and if that was the only prob, I could live with it because if I don't pull the plunge so hard it would make the switch to trigger the orbit latch...problem is, then the odds of the orbit completing are diminished because of the ball then won't clear the latch. So I have to hit it hard...auto plunge, sometimes it clear and sometimes it doensn't (the latch). Seems like I may need to mod the orbit latch

#3789 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Better lighting and a little more slow-mo should help see if the ball is catching the WHOLE gate bottom, or just one edge. Just one edge is easier than the whole thing, but the solution will be a combination of bending and/or shimming the gate bracket to bring it up just 2mm or so.

Hey Vireland, per request...here's a better perspective...the last shot I zoom in and show extra slo motion

Appreciate the additional opinion. Also I reached out to Stern for their input but haven't heard back yet...left a vm too

#3793 6 years ago

ya know, I gotta laugh, and I appreciate everyone's thoughts so far...but I am finding if I don't pull the plunger its hardest, say about 70 %, I make the orbit just fine...

so pretty much problem solved..The thing I am noticing is the auto plunger, still seems to struggle and the ball can get stuck in the orbit occasionally. Again I can get around this by plunging before the auto plunger shoots, but if I was able to adjust the auto plunger velocity, that would probably fix my problem there...don't suppose this is something Stern would enable/enhance in the software

The game is perfectly level'd , but it was also suggested I possibly change the pitch a bit so it's steeper, to possibly assist with this. Hadn't tried that yet

#3796 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Not going to happen in software, but you can put a slightly more powerful coil in there to make it kick stronger.

Ok wishful thinking...and actually, I was hoping to bring it down a notch...since over plunging seems to be when I have the prob. hmm

#3798 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Weaker coil, then. That's IF you already changed the coil strength for all coils from Normal to Soft in the system menu. If you haven't, that'd be a good place to shave 5-10% off the power.

Oh no kiddin? Hmm, I did see that in the menu, I wasn't really aware of coil settings, how they factor in. But I'm definitely a noob pinball owner..will give it a shot

#3805 6 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

If the full plunge is too strong only sells weaker springs for manual and stiffer springs for auto.
In the early days of GB most people swapped out the springs. The manual spring was green swapped for Orange or the other way around. Pbl sells a stiffer auto plunge spring for GB.

Thanks, so since i'm not killing it with the plunger..it's really a problem at this point with auto plunge, maybe 25% of the time the ball will get stuck on the orbit latch.

I guess I'm wondering if that's just something that can happen? Had a party with the pinball machine playing and it got stuck once with a friend playing. came over and hug and shoved the machine and the ball fell down. My first pin so I wonder if I'm expecting too much not to get a ball stuck from time to time

#3807 6 years ago

duplicate / delete

1 month later
#3917 6 years ago

Hey all - did a recent 'first pinball machine' repair for a drop target failure that wouldn't 'rise'(Nunzio Scolari)...glad I ordered the part (plastic that supports the lift)pretty proud of myself.

anyway, next on my Todo's is checking the right bucket (I think that's called a bucket?) About 30% of the time the bucket doesn't detect the ball and the system starts a ball check. Eventually it pop's out the ball...Can anyone point me in the right direction for seeing what may be the issue?

Any info appreciated - thx

#3919 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Your switch probably has come loose or fallen down. It's common.

Thanks - so any guidance or existing direction on fixing I can reference? I saw some folks mentioning a spring tension issue but not sure if related to this.

#3921 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Has the Tech menu item on your diag menu flagged the ball lock as a problem yet?

I went through the menus and couldn't find anything indicating a problem...The Technician Alert says 'No Technician Alerts' - is there something else I need to check?

#3932 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

No Technician alerts is what I was looking for.
So that means the problem isn't "that bad" yet. So just lift the playfield and look into the bottom of the "scoop" area on the right. There's a switch there. Check to make sure the switch body is firmly attached, if not, screw it in hand tight.
If that's fine you just need to bend the arm of the switch out a little more so it makes contact sooner and longer when a ball comes in. Put one finger near where the switch joins the body (or bending it up might pop the switch blade off the plastic nubs on the side) and press that tight while gently bending the other end away from the switch body a little more. You won't need much, so only do a little at a time.
Then test it by going into switch test mode and dropping a ball in to see if the switch registers on the screen. If not, repeat the bending a little more.

Thanks Vireland...I'm two for two on pinball repair attempts...these instructions were perfect to explain and what to avoid. (i.e. breaking the metal switch)

2 months later
#3986 5 years ago

Hey all -

Possibly a dumb question, and not a problem with the GBPremium itself, but my GBs' got a air ball protector installed at the left ramp. Seems like it's 'dipping' down..possibly just due to heat etc. (it's in the garage, I'm in Sacramento area). if I pull it up it bends up , but quickly bends down if I don't hold it.

Any suggestions on how best to fix this piece? Causing the ball to get stuck requiring a glass removal. Not ideal. And, I'd rather keep it (or modified piece) if it does its job combating air balls.

Any info appreciated. Thx

IMG_0577 (resized).jpgIMG_0577 (resized).jpg
#3988 5 years ago

Thanks

That's a good suggestion - I was thinking because it 'buckles down' it may not supposed to buckle, and was considering trying to flatten it by drilling a whole on the right connection and pushing it over. But TBH I didn't install it so I don't know this mod as well as I'd like. Some washers would give it some lift/clearance. Am curious if anyone is familiar with this mod ?

#3990 5 years ago

Thanks - so did yours 'buckel' down? I'm wondering if the heat morphed it slightly...if its not supposed to buckle down, I may drill another hole in it and re-secure the right nut so it lays flat.

#3992 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Depends on plastic thickness along with the design you have does not connect to both Posts on the right.
Washer under plastic works for my design.
I have sold a ton of my version for sometime where I have people put washer on each post first, then plastic, then nut.
See my AD:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sale-ghostbusters-airball-air-ball-right-orbit-protectors#post-4477509

Thanks man! Funny I was looking at your vid, good stuff. I'm not seeing how yours 'dips'...I may have a different version of the mod because mine only has one connection on the right...it appears your is flat. Maybe I need to just buy yours

Here's a video of what's happening

#4010 5 years ago

Just an update on my end, I ended up loosening the bolts and the plastic/air ball protecting piece stretched/flattened within the existing sockets/holes...re tightened them and no more 'dip'. Gonna chalk this up to minor heat warp. Thanks to everyone's input. Interesting discussion on modding the targets as an option / alternative.

2 months later
#4105 5 years ago

Hey all - someone mentioned drop target ledge solution they may have done. I believe it came up earlier on this thread. i fixed my earlier drop target (fatboy/nunzio) and it only lasted for about 3 months...so I don''t' mind replacing them but if there's a better solution out there...I'd be up for it.

Someone was considering making the ledge part out of metal - wonder if anyone has tried this?

best

#4109 5 years ago

Thanks Vireland - I can almost see myself buying a sheet of PETG and cutting..

But I noticed the official part (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-6163-01) , has a a dip/reduction in the plastic towards one side (between the two holes) - I'm not sure of the design but wouldn't you need to replicate this on a cut piece of PETG too, in order to ensure the catch/release mechanism of the target etc?

Also would this size thickness of PETG work? https://www.amazon.com/PETG-Thermoform-Plastic-Sheets-0-020/dp/B006R6CSO2

1 week later
#4111 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The drop target has a "ramp" molded into it, so it's not absolutely necessary on the "ledge" part, but yeah, you can trim it with an x-acto knife or a dremel. It's a short distance to angle. May take some trial and error. If you do it, it will make the action a little smoother, but it won't stop it from working if you don't.
You don't have some old yellowed cracked or broken pinball plastic laying around you can cut a piece out of? It doesn't have to be pretty - no one will be seeing it but you, and probably only once. I usually just repurpose one of those (sometimes I'll use leftover shadow clear plastic set plastics I have laying around). No need to buy a whole sheet to make a .75" x .15" (not actual dimensions!) little piece.

Had to followup on this...Vireland - what a GREAT idea / solution. Here's what I ended up making using a dremel. Note the extra layer of padding, from a cut of a poster board. Seems I needed a little more thickness to ensure a consistent 'latch'. Works great. I hope it lasts longer than 3 months. If so I will be replacing the other with a similar solution.

drop target alt (resized).jpgdrop target alt (resized).jpg
#4125 5 years ago

Hey all - had a question about 'shopping' GB premium. Actually 1st, I wanted to replace the pinballs so I'm thinking of going with an ultra glossy type (http://www.thepinballwizard.net/index.php?p=product&id=849) anyone have any opinions here?

Then, at the sametime I replace the balls - is there any top to bottom suggestion for rubbers / flipper / other parts that should be replaced / shopped? Its a home use only machine, but it's my only one. Probably gets about 30 plays a month if I were to estimate.

Apologies if this was asked b4 - or if there's a general guide/suggestion someone can point me to.

Thanks!

#4159 5 years ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

How long have you owned your machine? If it is only getting 30 plays a month there should be no reason to shop that game out. Its hardly being used. I typically wipe down and wax my playfields once a month but I am putting about 200 plays on mine a month. I would not mess with a flipper rebuild until your machine has about 5,000 or so plays or when you feel like the flippers are getting weak. At the rate you are playing your game, you shouldn't have to change the flippers for a long long time. I would inspect your rubbers for any wear and tear but again with the low plays you have your rubbers should be in tip top shape. I would just wipe down the playfield and the components on the playfield and play the crap out of it. Have fun!
Regarding the balls, I am not sure what I use for mine for my wife just orders them. I believe the manual suggests to replace the balls every 2,000 plays so I would just inspect the balls you have and if there are no scuffs or craters in them you are good to go.

Thanks - I took your advice and played alot over the weekend.

I'm not sure if there's another audit, but I have over 3,360 plays(below) (think that's per ball, so 3 balls per game). Since I did a software update shortly after I purchased, there's more that aren't counted...So maybe I have a bit more than 30 games a month, heh. The guy I bought from said he had about 500 plays on it, but had reset the software a few times to mod the music etc.

I'm not really noticing any play issues, since I've addressed the minor issues I've talked about here (drop target, and bucket detection)... so I was just looking more for general guidance on what rubbers to replace. Is there a standard rubber kit GB?

I should do the wax too, I know there's some opinions out there, but any suggestions for this game appreciated. Playfield was swapped out by Stern due to ghosting issue, so this should be 'ok'. There is a signature from JT on it

The balls definitely look like they are potential candidates. still Curious if anyone had an opinion on regular vs superglossy pinballs. That's great that your better half helps you take care of your machine(s). I scare mine when I open the playfield

IMG_0132 (resized).jpgIMG_0132 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#4258 5 years ago

Wow - wasn't even familiar with the service bulletins - going to check into that -

Separate issue - has anyone reported a bug where the machine acts like a ball was drained when going into the big ramp/into the right bucket for eject? It seems like it went into an area under the table, and never actually made it into the bucket. I was playing and hit the ramp, it triggered the score count/bonus review, and started the next ball. Then when the finished the last ball, it moved the ball into the bucket and ejected (like a standard ball search post game over)

wierd.. running the modified ver 1.13 w/custom music/audio.

1 month later
#4262 5 years ago

Dang...my Airball protector broke! Thing was working great..but it's just a piece of plastic...was having a great game too...

as far as I can tell the original seller is out of stock. **UPDATE vendor indicated they will have in stock next week**

Can anyone recommend a replacement or current best method to address the left lane airballs?

Thanks!

IMG-2822 (resized).JPGIMG-2822 (resized).JPG

#4265 5 years ago

Wow swinks, that's pretty cool...i'm a little confused on the installation although it will probably make sense as I install..do you happen to have a video showing the install?

Also, I see you have different colors etc, but is this part even visible on the playfield?

Thanks,

#4267 5 years ago

ok cool, ordering right away. It's time to try these out. Thanks for referrals and followup all!

2 weeks later
#4271 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Forget the plastic covers and just get two of the swinks target brackets he sells on shapeways. Work great to cut airballs by like 90% and no big plastic hanging over your playfield.

Yeah, just installed them...very minor rebound this time, pretty cool actually. Definitely no glass or side of playfield wall hits...man I cannot believe they ship the factory GB like that.

On the swink install, was a little concerning getting the left target bracket installed working around the black-light board, but was able to work around it with some patience. anyway Love the swink fix!!

#4274 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

glad they worked and understand the nerves in lifting the light board but all good, thanks for the support in trying

Yeah a little, but worked through it -

I have to clarify / say that I still have some rebound - the left target still fly's a ball to the far left wall...it's livable and it slides down. Nothing's hitting the glass tho - or going into a place where you need to lift the glass to correct/fix. Assume that's normal.

1 week later
#4283 4 years ago

Hey...not sure why my PM was posted here...cpr999 - if you wanted a review, I would have happily posted.

For full disclosure / clarity / posterity - -

Just want to go on record saying - I think both solutions have their place. I like the Swink targets (And I'm actually going to keep them in my system). However, I did still mention some airballs occurred.

Here's where I noticed the airballs still occurring post Swinks install.(see attached) (Note: this isn't my playfield, just referenced for example) The 'plastic' box area I was concerned about getting hit and the target that triggered some extra bounce is highlighted. Airballs came down at least 80%... But I have to say, while the airball protector from cpr999 is a great solution (and definitely better than the thin plastic airbal protector others have sold) - - I could be a bit 'ocd' about this.

And speaking of OCD, some folks may not like having an acrylic/plastic guards on the playfield.

The swinks target is definitely a viable solution that addresses the critical airballs.

If you're on the fence and don't mind performing the install, my recommendation is to weigh the options and try both. I am happy with cpr999's solution, but I also appreciate the work that went into both solutions and I can see why someone may prefer either type of solution.
playfield (resized).pngplayfield (resized).png

#4285 4 years ago
Quoted from BasementFacts:

Just got a GB Premium a week ago and loving the hell out of it. Question about Ecto Goggles. How often is there a ghost on the screen? I seem to remember when I first got it, there was always something going on on the screen. Now it seems like it's blank more than it used to be. Don't get me wrong, ghosts still appear on it. But not as many as it used to. Could just be my mind playing tricks.

This is normal - often no ghosts at first. I thought the same thing too for awhile...it's all good. Enjoy your game!!

#4287 4 years ago
Quoted from camcamaro1991:

I have tried every brand/user made GB airball design, except for Olaa's design (not sure if you have stay puff mod), nothing stops airballs or issues with shooter lane or right orbit issues.

I'm pretty happy with cpr9999's airball protector...its as good as the previous plastic piece I had in place, but is a thicker cut (I think acrylic) so it should last longer. Game plays perfectly now IMHO... I'm still having occasional orbit issues, but that's a separate subject and for me, may have to do with a modification that was done by the previous owner of the game where he bent some of the metal guide/bracket near Stay Puft leading into the orbit. I may correct that and then be able to speak about cpr9999's orbit protector more fully.

2 years later
#4491 2 years ago

Hey All - hope you're having a nice Memorial Day Weekend.

I ran into a general pinball / Ghostbuster Premium issue... the Right side flipper and corresponding button aren't talking. Seems there's a delay / registration of the button being pressed happening. many times the flipper will get stuck at 'being pressed'.

I should clarify - the game recognizes that I am changing pin in-game modes...its just the flipper getting stuck in the 'up' position. before it eventually goes back to non-button pressed mode.

Can anyone recommend fix?

Any information appreciated.

Thank you,

1 year later
#4504 1 year ago

Hey folks - this game has been very stable, but, I just ran into an issue..I'm not sure what it's related to , but hoping to identify.

Seems a part fell within the game/box during a recent gaming. Any idea where this should be or how to replace part? It appears to be broken.

IMG_0416 (resized).jpgIMG_0416 (resized).jpgIMG_0419 (2) (resized).jpgIMG_0419 (2) (resized).jpg
9 months later
#4528 1 year ago

Hey folks -

Running a GB Premium - I did some mods awhile back.

One of them , is the Mini TV mod - it's pretty cool (this one: https://mezelmods.com/products/ghostbusters-pinball-tv-video-display-mod)

Well, when I connect it to the Node board per instructions, I start getting this unexpected light flash for the coin slots and the start button:

It connects via a 5V free socket on the Nodeboard near the front of the machine. (same board that powers the shaker). If I disconnect the mod , this issue doesn't happen.

Is there anywhere else I can get 5V from? Does the CPU board supply 5V? I'm seeing a similar connection, or is there somewhere I can splice in? Or is it all 12v?

Any information appreciated.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

15,699 (OBO)
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brandonx76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-issue-thread?tu=brandonx76 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.