main-qimg-70f0cc5a9d7263efec90c4b221738a5b (resized).jpg
IMG_4729 (resized).jpg
IMG_4732 (resized).JPG
IMG_4731 (resized).JPG
SwitchStatus (resized).jpg
TroughSwStatus (resized).JPG
screen-capture-1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Opening post with OP's index of topics Posted by exflexer (7 years ago)

Post #11 Photos of original slimer design Posted by exflexer (7 years ago)

Post #426 Images showing the redesigned Slimer mech Posted by kpg (7 years ago)

Post #430 Pro manual updated to reflect the new slimer mech Posted by kpg (7 years ago)

Post #528 Photos of the Pinball Universe kit installed on GB Posted by sirlonzelot (7 years ago)

Post #565 Link to Pinball Universe Upgrade kit (Germany) Posted by sirlonzelot (7 years ago)

Post #630 GB 1.05 code posted and readme details! Posted by PinB (7 years ago)

Post #662 Link to Pinballlife's alt springs for the Scoleri brothers targets Posted by exflexer (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bhwolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#376 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

True- I've also noticed some unprofessional and snarky replies on their FB page, which is vastly different then how most other companies handle their social media presence. Although at times there are some funny responses, there are ones like this that come off pretty rude.. So I guess you have a point... It would probably just be used as a way to beat up customers a bit like what happened with this guy

Yeah, I think their response is meant to be kind of funny, but it does leave enough uncertainty. At least Stern replied -- when they posted the recent GoT 1.29 code update, they simply deleted posts asking about the orbit fix (fix being too kind, more swept under the rug).

6 months later
#1722 7 years ago

Just wanted to post a follow up to my subway woes. Despite trying the tape and fiddling with the junction of the wire ramp and plastic subway, I was still getting a LOT of balls not making it out. Some not moving that fast, either. When looking more closely at the way the wire ramp clamps to the plastic subway, I realized the plastic was pushing the outer wire guide so the ball wouldn't rest on the two rails like it should.

This is difficult to explain, so threw this together to illustrate. The image (crude as it is) is a cross section of where the plastic subway is pushing the wire rail in, causing the ball to derail. Using a magnet holding a ball while the playfield was up, I could see the ball wasn't able to contact the lower right rail. The problem is, on my machine, I couldn't seem to shim it quite enough, so put a bit of a spacer on the metal clamp (on the outside of the plastic) so the rail is no longer being pushed in by the plastic subway.

If you're not getting subway exits, check it out with a ball on a magnet so you can see what is going on. Once I shimmed it just slightly, so far, 100% success, no tape. I'm guessing there are enough manufacturing tolerances so each machine might be a bit different.

gbsub (resized).pnggbsub (resized).png

#1724 7 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

I have these installed and haven't had any issues.
The air ball preventer for the left ramp snapped at around 80 games. The plastic is brittle. I made a replacement out of plexi using the old one as a template. I think the plexi has enough flex to hold up.

The LSOG one snapped? I was thinking the PETG ones would be hard to break.

#1741 7 years ago

OK this is weird. Went into tech alerts on my premium (1.11) and seeing 3 alerts:

-Check Switch 52, Left Ramp Enter
-Check Switch 92, Left Ramp 2
-Check Switch 93, Left Ramp 3

According to the manual, switch 52 is pop exit, which is working. The 'real' left ramp enter seems to be working, too. There's no switch 92 or 93 in the manual.

Any ideas?

#1746 7 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

My first very functional and useful mod - just installed it tonight. <snip>
100% happy with this mod.

Hats off to you for taking a drill to your playfield. I couldn't do it.

#1784 7 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

^^I ask myself this all the time.
I have a Shadow and Simpsons Pinball Party both bought new in the 90's and have a combined total of games on them around 600.
I guess I just like them sitting there looking pretty. Or, too many other machines to distract me Sick. I know.

Sometimes I like them on -- like a xmas tree year round. Like cars, some people enjoy working on them and tinkering more than playing. And a few like drilling into the playfield Seriously, whatever makes you happy!

#1813 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Why would they not fix this ....
Edit: I'm assuming they gave you a non-Churchill pf as others are claiming to have Churchill pfs with the error corrected.

Yeah it must be an earlier pf, my Nov 3 playfield is correct.

#1878 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Has anyone else installed the 1 5/8" hex spacer for the right ramp on pre/LE?
Just wondering if others had the same great results I had.

Is the 1 5/8" spacer reducing the height of the right ramp? What's the height of the factory installed one? I get a few rejects out of right ramp, but it's a tough angle. Just wondering what the issue is...

#1949 7 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Weird what code level are you running ?? It was like this before I added the pinnovators...mind you it's very low but there is volume.
The I'm scared scream is still way loud at 0 though

Do you have a sub connected to the speaker terminals? I noticed I get audio at 0 with a sub connected.

#1971 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

OK, officially from Stern, Slimer is supposed to rub on the bracket some as he is coming out so he is down closer to the playfield. Some people insist on moving him up so he doesn't touch anything when he comes down. I don't think anyone was having slimer rub on the actual playfield.
Mine, out of the box rubs just slightly on the one bracket as he's coming down (he's on a spring so bends) and it doesn't bother me so I haven't bothered trying to adjust him. He registers hits well and looks good flying around on the playfield.

I dunno -- not doubting they said this, but seems kind of a weak design/excuse -- like the GOT orbit issue, for those familiar with it ("Oh, it's -supposed- to do that!"). I don't think it's a problem that he drags a little, but I've seen machines (like mine) where he doesn't drag, and some where he does (badly). Now, if he drags, he's lower to the playfield which means he'd be able to be hit, I guess, in a larger arc. Nevertheless, seems like it could be improved.

#1990 7 years ago
Quoted from cantbfrank:

I have the same issue. Very Random. Did turning down the power eventually work?

I had a strange issue where the trough kept feeding balls into the lane, over and over. Very strange... not quite machine gunning, but rapidly. Had to shut it down and on reboot, it was fine. All switches/optos check out.

1 week later
#2070 7 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

There may be something wrong with your power supply. You should not notice the fan under normal conditions.

Depends on background noise levels. In a relatively quiet home use scenario, they can be quite loud and annoying, cycling on and off. Not noticeable while playing, but if left on/attract mode. I posted in another thread somewhere the fans I swapped them with to quiet them down significantly.

1 week later
#2123 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

What Chucksmith said is correct.
The biggest issue for me was the alignment under the playfield where the metal meets the plastic ramp.
On mine the metal ramp had slid itself just a touch to the right/outside edge of the playfield.
Loosen the set screw and pull it back to direct center and tighten the hell out of it with a hex nut screwdriver.
If this does not fix it some people have placed a small piece of electrical tape in the little metal loops just before the ball drops down below the playfield to help slow it down.
Let us know if you get it working. It surely makes the game play much better.
Also know that on mode start shots on the left ramp, the ball will be held under the playfield while the mode intro's play on the DMD.
So only shots that are not starting a mode or locking a ball will return up the ramp.

Yep, all about the alignment. I have a post somewhere here on this, but if you can hold the ball with a magnet while pf is up, you can slide the ball along the rails and see... on mine, it was pretty obvious how the ball was getting dislodged, losing momentum and not making it out. Since correcting with a small shim, I've had a 100% success rate after hundreds of balls...

#2204 7 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

It gave it just enough of a lip that it was launching (ricocheting) the balls off it. Even Cliffy said he could see how that could happen.

Don't doubt it can happen...but just word of warning: I received my scoleri Cliffy protectors and kept them off as I wasn't big on the look. I figured at the first sign of wear, I'd add them. Well, it didn't take long... the left scoleri was showing some wear after a few hundred games, and this is with the newest playfields. I think the speed of the ball, airballs, gaps, etc are enough to be brutal on the area. I thought about mylar but not sure it would be strong enough.

1 week later
#2262 7 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Not,Mine!!! new build,12-29-19,Slimer drags his ass! Stern rep says he's supposed to drag some to emulate slimming!!

Lol! Did he really say that it was to emulate sliming? That's hilarious! I can buy that a bit of dragging is normal or at least non impacting, but definitely not for that reason.

#2277 7 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I just installed the full Cliffy set and have no issues with air balls from the drop targets. It did take me about 15 minutes to make sure everything was completely flush. One thing I had to do that others may not have thought about was to push the bracket forward and backwards to change the pitch of the target from front to back. I was having issues until I figured that piece out and now it's one smooth transition.
Just my 2 cents on what worked for me.

This. One additional thing I did was use a screw under the playfield to secure the cliffy. This pulls the cliffy slightly, which helps keep it flatter (at least on my machine). I didn't want to remove the cliffy's because there was obvious dinging/chipping at the rear of the target -- mind you, VERY small -- the kind of thing only a pinsider would notice. But, I don't want it to get any worse. I've spent a good amount of time adjusting heights, pitch, etc. and I think I got it. Hard to say because airballs can be caused by lots of things and with the ball travelling so fast, even at 240fps I had to go frame to frame to troubleshoot. Seems better though -- might not be 100%.

#2288 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is the purpose of the cliffy to protect against the ball striking the edge of the playfield, or to protect against the targets bashing into the playfield after being struck by the ball?

I think the latter. In my case, it was obvious the targets when hit hard enough were rubbing on the playfield. It may have been for milliseconds, but still happening.

#2290 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I disagree, as the angle of the target would let it glide downward. Not saying this dose not happen but the main issue is from the ball striking the PF edge.

Yeah this, too... especially if the target sits too low as the ball will hit the edge. On mine, I couldn't even get the Cliffy in without sanding the target down, as it was incredibly tight. The ball can hit the target ridiculously hard, and I think the playfield edge is the weakest spot. Even though the target is tapered, it can still, on some machines, rub the playfield in the right circumstances.

#2292 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Not sure about those cliffy drop target protectors.
1. They look really ugly. 2. Do they even protect where they need to?

Agree they aren't great looking but with the Cliffys on the scoops, honestly, I hardly notice them. My experience is yes for #2, though every machine is a bit different. I didn't put mine on until a little wear starting showing up along that back ledge. YMMV.

#2295 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Main wear is from the ball hitting the edge period.

...From the ball hitting the edge of a not perfectly smooth surface and not because the drop is rubbing as it goes down.

It was rubbing on mine as it dropped when hit hard enough. Doesn't happen on my other machines. The important thing is to be able to assess what is going on and decide how to correct ... recording at 240fps helps quite a bit.

Could've sanded it down and may have been ok, but because damage began, I figured protecting it was prudent.

#2321 7 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

They drop 100% of the time alway have .

So it hits the drop target, it drops, but bounces back as an airball? On occasion this happens. I tilted my drop slightly by wedging a thin piece of styrene under the front of the bracket and made sure the target was centered. This helps a little with rebound air balls, but the main reason I did it was to smooth the transition to the Cliffy on the drop target. I was getting massive air balls with the drop down, as the ball would gain just a slight amount of air passing over the Cliffy and then ricochet off the left ramp launching it wherever.

Also try reducing coil power. Even on low/soft/whatever, it seems too strong.

#2328 7 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

I've heard people say that the PBL Scolari springs cause "too much machine gunning." What does this lingo mean? I tried the pull up/shorten spring trick to increase tension and still, most of the time the Scolari targets only go down is with backhand shots.

Basically means the spring is too strong so the target can't stay up (or the ledge is too weak/broken), as the spring pulls it back down right away. The game will try to pop it back up over and over again, hence the machine-gunning.

If you shortened the spring already, you can try shortening it more, or just wait for it to break in. I'd say go ahead and shorten it a few more rings...

#2332 7 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Gotcha. It helped! What does the other spring on the assembly do? Trying to locate the Scolari drop target Assembly in the manual as well for reference.

Going off memory... there is the main spring that should be obvious and pulls the target down. This is the one you shortened. I think there is a second spring that is placed on the top of the two posts that connect the target to the assembly. The two posts are secured with an e clip, easy to remove but be careful because parts can go flying if not removed carefully. The second spring, I would guess, just holds the target forward so it's over the ledge that keeps it up.

#2357 7 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

wow is there that much difference in quality vs. Stern balls??

I use the Shiny ones from PBL. I do have to say, they seem to be getting wear faster than on my other machines, at least by casual observation. In fairness, it's getting more play, but even so. On the other hand, I look at my WoZ -- it's much darker (dimmer) and slower than GB, I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Maybe it's from the trough kicking the balls into the lane -- given that I use the ball save significantly, the number of balls ejected on my GB is probably close to double what it is on my other machines.

1 month later
#2600 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

well kind of. The target is currently sitting a little to the left and leaving a wider gap to the right. I was wondering if there if a way to make the position more in the center. As for more flush, sure how do you adjust that too?

For what it's worth -- mine had quite a bit of a gap on the right side of the target (meaning the target was skewed to the left, like yours). This was causing a lot of airballs -- using slow motion video, when the ball went over this gap it was getting slightly airborne when hitting the ramp. Amazingly, it was still under the airball protector in most cases, but occasionally was hitting the protector.

I ended up drilling out the mounting holes a bit to slide the whole assembly to the right a bit. Completely solved all airballs off the ramp, minus those you get off the targets/etc.

#2611 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

wow so you drilled new holes and moved it to the right? Not sure i have the guts to try that.

I just used a dremel to widen the holes on the metal bracket about 2mm. That way, it can be slid back and forth. Similar to what Art is suggesting for his protector.

#2625 7 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I really haven't had issues with airballs except from the Scoleri Brother drop targets. They drop every time but can produce some fast and powerful airballs.
Is there a solution to this? Maybe add a couple washers to the mounting screws of the assembly? If so, how many?

It depends on what kind of airballs you are getting. When the target is up and the ball is getting rebounded/air? Or as the ball passes over when it's down?

1 week later
#2680 7 years ago

I'm not sure if this is a software or hardware issue... every once in awhile, right after I launch the ball, the skill shot gets awarded when the ball hits the right orbit switch (I think). All switches seem to be fine ... optos working. Anyone else experience this?

#2682 7 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Yes, I had this happen . After I installed my shooter lane cliffy, it did it every time.
Cause: The cliffy held the ball up from the switch in the shooter lane which really confused the machine.
Check your shooter lane switch carefully with a ball in switch test. The switch should trigger 'before' the ball comes to rest.
If you added a cliffy shooter lane protector you really need to check the switch.

Thanks Chuck! Will check this out!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
15,699 (OBO)
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bhwolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-issue-thread?tu=bhwolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.