main-qimg-70f0cc5a9d7263efec90c4b221738a5b (resized).jpg
IMG_4729 (resized).jpg
IMG_4732 (resized).JPG
IMG_4731 (resized).JPG
SwitchStatus (resized).jpg
TroughSwStatus (resized).JPG
screen-capture-1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,531 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 91.
#3651 6 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

My left side Scoleri Brother doesn't come up. The right one works fine. Both have the PBL springs. What do you suggest for the left one?

If it doesn't come UP, the coil may be broken. Have you tried it in coil test mode?

#3652 6 years ago

My left side Scoleri Brother doesn't come up. The right one works fine. Both have the PBL springs. What do you suggest for the left one?

Start in test mode and see if it goes up. If not you’ll want to physically look to see if the coil is wired and working

#3653 6 years ago

Thanks, I will go into coil test tomorrow and report back.

#3654 6 years ago

Does it not come up at all or does it not stay up? When I tried the PBL springs, one of mine would pop up and drop immediately.

#3655 6 years ago

i've replaced mine with PBL, but the right one wouldn't stay up so I went and put the Stern one in and it seems to be working fine, but time will tell.

#3656 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

In my experience, the PBL springs are too strong. I did the same as you. I took about 5-6 loops off the factory springs and they have worked perfectly ever since.

Thank you for posting this. I was bored enough last night to try this out and it worked great. Since I got the game I have had to make a glancing shot to the left brother to get the target to go down and have subconsciously hated that mode because of it, now that I did this it goes down every time and I actually look forward to the mode

#3657 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Does it not come up at all or does it not stay up? When I tried the PBL springs, one of mine would pop up and drop immediately.

Quoted from 3pinballs:

i've replaced mine with PBL, but the right one wouldn't stay up so I went and put the Stern one in and it seems to be working fine, but time will tell.

On coil test, it pops up nice and strong but immediately goes back down. I am going to remove the PBL springs on that Scoleri Brother and replace them with the originals (which, fortunately, I saved) and report back later tonight.

#3658 6 years ago

On coil test, it pops up nice and strong but immediately goes back down. I am going to remove the PBL springs on that Scoleri Brother and replace them with the originals (which, fortunately, I saved) and report back later tonight.

There should be a small plastic ledge that the flipper hangs on to stay up. That may have broken on that target. Stern changed them around Game of Thrones to be paper thin, so they break much easier than older ones that would work for decades on location with thousands of plays. Not sure if they made them thicker again for GB.

#3659 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There should be a small plastic ledge that the flipper hangs on to stay up. That may have broken on that target. Stern changed them around Game of Thrones to be paper thin, so they break much easier than older ones that would work for decades on location with thousands of plays. Not sure if they made them thicker again for GB.

They don't look particularly thin om my GB, so I think they must have changed back.

Returning to the original spring has solved the problem. If I have issues in the future, I think I will just move the spring about 3 or 4 loops tighter.

#3660 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

One of my ledges broke early on. Stern sent me a new one, but it looks like they’ve continued to cheap out on that part.

#3661 6 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

One of my ledges broke early on. Stern sent me a new one, but it looks like they’ve continued to cheap out on that part.

I know that comparing the broken GoT one to the ones that came before, it was almost paper thin at the bottom, and not much thicker at the top - bendable. SUBSTANTIALLY less durable than what had been the standard for at least a decade or two.

#3662 6 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

I had this issue as well... fairly easy fix but I wondered why the part was so thin in the area it broke.

#3663 6 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I had this issue as well... fairly easy fix but I wondered why the part was so thin in the area it broke.

A Stern employee who shall remain nameless told me he/she has been telling the engineers they need to improve the quality of this part—apparently to no avail.

1 week later
#3664 6 years ago

Ok......the switch on the left ramp is still an issue registering shots. I have bent the switch so it does register shots.....but not consistently.

It either:
A) works 75% of the time....then, over time registers less and less
B) bend too much and stops the ball from going down the subway.

Anyone just replace the switch?

This is for the premiun

#3665 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Ok......the switch on the left ramp is still an issue registering shots. I have bent the switch so it does register shots.....but not consistently.
It either:
This is for the premiun

Never had a problem with that switch on the Premium I maintain on location. Maybe the one you have is just a weirdly manufactured switch. If you've put all that time into it, I'd just replace the switch.

#3666 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

It either:

My LE does the same thing, although it starts off working 100 percent and then eventually goes to around 75. Ball has only gotten stuck from a really lucky weak hit after bending, presume this is why the ramp is so steep to prevent?

Next time it happens I’m just replacing the little jerk

#3667 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

It either:
This is for the premiun

I had the same issue with my premium. Got tired of ef'ing with it and went ahead and replaced it. Kind of a pain in the ass to get to, but well worth the effort. Haven't had a problem since.

#3668 6 years ago

A ton of people have replaced that switch,myself included.

#3669 6 years ago

It seems like quite a few people have had to replace the switch. I'm a rookie at some of this.........it doesn't like I need to solder? looks like the switch is just held by 2 screws?

Also, double checking...is this the switch I need from Marco?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5199-00 (I know I need to order the new part number)

#3670 6 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

My LE does the same thing, although it starts off working 100 percent and then eventually goes to around 75. Ball has only gotten stuck from a really lucky weak hit after bending, presume this is why the ramp is so steep to prevent?
Next time it happens I’m just replacing the little jerk

If I nail a straight shot up the ramp, the ball goes flying through there....and doesn't register...if the ball halfass goes thru...I'm good...and it registers. Not a great spot where they put the switch...but I just wonder if the switch itself is just junk.....

#3671 6 years ago

Mine started doing this recently, after I waxed the playfield and put new balls in. It's just going to fast right now.

I think things will return to normal when the games is less clean and the balls less new.

#3672 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

It seems like quite a few people have had to replace the switch. I'm a rookie at some of this.........it doesn't like I need to solder? looks like the switch is just held by 2 screws?
Also, double checking...is this the switch I need from Marco?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5199-00 (I know I need to order the new part number)

Definitely need to solder. If you don't have a soldering station, let me recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WESD51-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B000ARU9PO

Page 45 of the manual says that switch is 180-5209-00.

#3673 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Definitely need to solder. If you don't have a soldering station, let me recommend:
amazon.com link »
Page 45 of the manual says that switch is 180-5209-00.

Thanks man. Ordered the switch today

#3674 6 years ago

Have a handful of Airball protectors left.

Left ramp protector....and...right orbit protector.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-airball-air-ball-right-orbit-protector

pic7 (resized).jpgpic7 (resized).jpg

pic5 (resized).jpgpic5 (resized).jpg

#3675 6 years ago

My balls that are “softly” plunged are hanging up on this lip. It looks like you have to remove that orbit rail to get this ramp off :/ has anyone adjusted this? It seems a tad low and far from rail.

0B43FAA4-39F1-475B-8F38-DFD5A589D594 (resized).jpeg0B43FAA4-39F1-475B-8F38-DFD5A589D594 (resized).jpeg

#3676 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

It seems a tad low and far from rail.

Can you remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the shooter lane ramp and then just push the ramp closer to the rail? You would then just drill 2 new pilot holes and put the ramp screws back in.

#3677 6 years ago

Hi everyone

I just got my Ghostbusters Pro, my first NIB Game. Everything went really well. Setup was absolutely smooth. No ghosting or anything of the like. However, after playing a few games I have noticed the following issues:

1. The autoplunger fires about 50% of the balls into the stay puft. Ball afterwards drops down the right ramp and sometimes sdtm. Not sure if it fires too strong or what's the problem here. There's also some perfectly smooth balls in between.

2. On the first credit, the callout when you hit the start button works fine. On the second credit, it only goes "welcome..." and then seems to be cut off. Which sound kind of odd.

3. When you loose a ball, sometimes the "rhythm" of the sound seems to be off or too fast. It's not bad but just seems a bit strange.

4. Airballs are really bad. I ordered an airball protector. Should minimise the ones from the multiplier standups. Scolari brothers are even worse. They usually jump directly into drain hole. For now I just turned off the scoleris...

So, that's about it. Number 4 is the one I read a lot about in this thread. 1-3 I haven't really found any key posts. So maybe someone has advice to solve the issues? Thanks!

#3678 6 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

1. The autoplunger fires about 50% of the balls into the stay puft. Ball afterwards drops down the right ramp and sometimes sdtm. Not sure if it fires too strong or what's the problem here. There's also some perfectly smooth balls in between.

This one can be mitigated by swapping out the auto-plunger spring with a higher tension one. If you search this thread you will find a link to the proper spring.

#3679 6 years ago

Could somebody explain the shoot logic of the stay puft mode. I understand each mode, but not this one.

#3680 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This one can be mitigated by swapping out the auto-plunger spring with a higher tension one. If you search this thread you will find a link to the proper spring.

Thank you, I found it. Hope it helps!

#3681 6 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

Thank you, I found it. Hope it helps!

also removing mylar near the right gate entrance will assist in solving this problem and non registering of the gate switch

#3683 6 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

Hi everyone
I just got my Ghostbusters Pro, my first NIB Game. Everything went really well. Setup was absolutely smooth. No ghosting or anything of the like. However, after playing a few games I have noticed the following issues:

Earlier in this thread you can read about the same problems on other GBs. You may need to bend the corner of the gate frame like I did. I filmed mine and watched in slow-mo and could clearly see the ball was ricocheting off of the gate frame and THEN hitting Stay Puft/cabinet wall/etc.

This was from #3012

Quoted from imagamejunky:

You guys need to bend the corner of the mechanical gate up. A few guys here have done this (including me). Some have removed the gate completely. It's a really shitty design. If your machines are like the others here on the forum then the ball is bouncing off of the gate frame and then hitting stay puft and the cabinet walls with both the auto launch and a hard plunge. Bending it fixed my machine. It still happens about 5% of the time for me now. It used to happen almost every time before though. A HUGE improvement.
Junky

#3684 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

All due respect intended here. I thought the replacement spring was a decreased tension. Maybe I’m wrong.

#3685 6 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Could somebody explain the shoot logic of the stay puft mode. I understand each mode, but not this one.

When it starts you hit any shot to light that shot for 1x for the mode. If you hit the Gozer target first before locking in a shot, it will up a shot to 2x. Try locking in the left ramp as it is the easiest and most repeatable shot. Key here is to bring in multipliers since 50 million x2 or x3 then x6 can make your score go through the roof. Hit lit shots and he steps on cars as you progress. You can milk the left ramp for a long time, but not entirely through the mode. Last 3 shots I believe start him on fire and then the final shot to destroy him.

#3686 6 years ago

I'm having a issue with my right flipper sticking, is any one else having or seen the same issue?

#3687 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

When it starts you hit any shot to light that shot for 1x for the mode. If you hit the Gozer target first before locking in a shot, it will up a shot to 2x. Try locking in the left ramp as it is the easiest and most repeatable shot. Key here is to bring in multipliers since 50 million x2 or x3 then x6 can make your score go through the roof. Hit lit shots and he steps on cars as you progress. You can milk the left ramp for a long time, but not entirely through the mode. Last 3 shots I believe start him on fire and then the final shot to destroy him.

Thanks for your feedback, highly appreciated. I am not sure that I understand that correctly. Does it mean that the first shot locks this shot and thus repeating this shot will not progress the mode, but increase the score only? After this shot I simply shoot at the other lit targets until stay puft is destroyed. Is that correct?

Why do you choose the left ramp as first shot and not the right orbit, which I think is easier to hit?

#3688 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Quoted from imagamejunky:

All due respect intended here. I thought the replacement spring was a decreased tension. Maybe I’m wrong.

The idea is to decrease the velocity of the auto-plunger so the ball doesn't get hung up on the gate. In order to do this, you must use a higher tension spring. You may be thinking of the manual plunger, where a lower tension spring would indeed slow down the ball.

#3689 6 years ago
Quoted from beepbeep:

I'm having a issue with my right flipper sticking, is any one else having or seen the same issue?

Is it mechanical or electrical? Does the flipper continue to stick even when the game is off?

#3690 6 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Thanks for your feedback, highly appreciated. I am not sure that I understand that correctly. Does it mean that the first shot locks this shot and thus repeating this shot will not progress the mode, but increase the score only? After this shot I simply shoot at the other lit targets until stay puft is destroyed. Is that correct?
Why do you choose the left ramp as first shot and not the right orbit, which I think is easier to hit?

First shot locks in the value on that shot. If you upped the value to 2x by hitting the Gozer target, you want to lock in that shot for max value. Repeating the shot does progress the mode, which is why left ramp is easiest. You can hit it over and over again without risk of draining. Right orbit is an easy shot, but you have to get control again usually before shooting it again, so there is a chance to lose the ball. Eventually you will have to hit other shots besides the left ramp if you lock that in, but it is an easy way to progress mostly through the mode before you have to shoot other things.

#3691 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is it mechanical or electrical? Does the flipper continue to stick even when the game is off?

I checked the mechanical part of it and that all looks good. If I continue to push the button too try and get it to break free it will stay in same upright position, it releases itself after a period of 15-20 seconds and on top of it all the flipper will spasm out of know where as if it remembers how many time you push the button previously. It sounds crazy...just trying to find a easy fix without spending $300 on a computer board.

#3692 6 years ago
Quoted from beepbeep:

I checked the mechanical part of it and that all looks good. If I continue to push the button too try and get it to break free it will stay in same upright position, it releases itself after a period of 15-20 seconds and on top of it all the flipper will spasm out of know where as if it remembers how many time you push the button previously. It sounds crazy...just trying to find a easy fix without spending $300 on a computer board.

Get it to stick with the PF up and see if it's hanging up on the EOS switch. Physically catching on a bent EOS is pretty common and easy to fix.

#3693 6 years ago

This exact thing happened to me, just stretch the PBL spring slightly and you will be all good. The PBL springs are a little much for that left drop target coil.

#3694 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

the flipper does not stick when powered down. falls too it's normal position

#3695 6 years ago

Auto launch, hard launch, ramp jump into Stay Puff fix for me this seemed to really clean up all my issues.

The ball goes up V in the ramp, then the ramp goes smooth.... on the smooth section "at times" it hits the orbit tab circled in my pics!!! Since the ball still has forward momentum when it hits the right tab, it bounces off the tab is forced left and hits the Stay Puff marshmallow man or gate, or back wall!

GB issue (resized).jpgGB issue (resized).jpg

Let me start off and say I have metal outlanes, see pic. Wood guys you might have to dremel some wood out.

METAL
GBrails (resized).jpgGBrails (resized).jpg

WOOD
GB tab (resized).pngGB tab (resized).png

Next I used a flat head screw driver to bend the right orbit back inwards and made it flush for as smooth transition, 10 games or so and much improved, no hits on Stay Puff so far.

sorry but in the pics I already fixed it, but it was sticking out enough to cause the ball to hit right metal orbit tab and send it flying left into Stay Puff
ramp fix (resized).jpgramp fix (resized).jpg

Metal was an easy fix, just bend it from the back side, see the first pic showing the metal outlane rail.
rampfix2 (resized).jpgrampfix2 (resized).jpg

See here its flush or a bit more inside so the ball doesn't catch and send it flying left in to SPM.
rampfix3 (resized).JPGrampfix3 (resized).JPG

#3696 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

So I put the new spring in. It seems like it helped a little bit. But I still have lots of auto plunges that hit the SPM or the backboard plastic. I don't think the shots hit the gate as described by someone else. I think they are too much on the left and hit the metal rail underneath the SPM.

Also, sometimes when I short plunge, it directly starts who brought the dog. In this situations it also sounds like it hit something...

#3697 6 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

Also, sometimes when I short plunge, it directly starts who brought the dog. In this situations it also sounds like it hit something...

This is a common GB problem that means the switch in your shooter lane is not registering or only registering intermittently. DO NOT TEST WITH YOUR FINGER. Go into switch test mode and manually eject a ball into the shooter lane and see if it triggers the switch.

#3698 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This is a common GB problem that means the switch in your shooter lane is not registering or only registering intermittently. DO NOT TEST WITH YOUR FINGER. Go into switch test mode and manually eject a ball into the shooter lane and see if it triggers the switch.

This is the switch right at the plunger, I guess. I'll try it. So this one must be triggered in order for the machine to know where the ball comes from when it triggers the right outlane switch? Is that it? Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob...

I guess when it comes to the ball firing into the SPM and backboard, I need to set up a camera and film it in slow motion.

#3699 6 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

This is the switch right at the plunger, I guess. I'll try it. So this one must be triggered in order for the machine to know where the ball comes from when it triggers the right outlane switch? Is that it? Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob...
I guess when it comes to the ball firing into the SPM and backboard, I need to set up a camera and film it in slow motion.

Yes. It's the one just above the tip of the shooter rod. If that isn't triggered when the ball is kicked out, then the machine doesn't know the ball came from the shooter lane and assumes you made the shot that starts "who brought the dog?" instead.

#3700 6 years ago
Quoted from philsublime:

So I put the new spring in. It seems like it helped a little bit. But I still have lots of auto plunges that hit the SPM or the backboard plastic. I don't think the shots hit the gate as described by someone else. I think they are too much on the left and hit the metal rail underneath the SPM.

^^^^I posted some pics about tab.

The ball goes up V in the ramp, then the ramp goes smooth.... on the smooth section "at times" it hits the orbit tab circled in my pics!!! Since the ball still has forward momentum when it hits the right tab, it bounces off the tab is forced left to the left and hits the Stay Puff marshmallow man or gate, or back wall!

Played about 50 games, smooth as glass.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 4,531 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 91.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-issue-thread/page/74 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.