main-qimg-70f0cc5a9d7263efec90c4b221738a5b (resized).jpg
IMG_4729 (resized).jpg
IMG_4732 (resized).JPG
IMG_4731 (resized).JPG
SwitchStatus (resized).jpg
TroughSwStatus (resized).JPG
screen-capture-1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,531 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 91.
#3151 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Btw, Stern has changed the flipper alignment to normal.
I said it over and over that the flippers are droopy and doesn't play correctly to the design of the field. People here kept saying that's the way it was ment to be because it came from the factory that way. I fixed my flippers so they are setup like all other new sterns. Shots were smoother and cleaner.
NOW:::: fresh from the stern factory. The flippers are coming out, aligned correctly. no more droopy flippers. Friend just bought a new premium and the flippers were setup like mine were.
The marker holes are still in the droopy spot, but they were installed so the holes were aligned with the bottom of the flipper plastic. Stern realized they screwed up and changed it.

Can any other new owners confirm this? I tried making my flippers standard and it screwed up all the shots for me. Most likely I was just used to the droopy positions but if they really are supposed to be standard now I might give it another try.

#3152 6 years ago
Quoted from GhostThruster:

Can any other new owners confirm this? I tried making my flippers standard and it screwed up all the shots for me. Most likely I was just used to the droopy positions but if they really are supposed to be standard now I might give it another try.

I saw it first hand from the new Premium off the line from one of our guys in our league. Don't know if he ever posts on here. I know he reads it, but don't know if he has an account. Anyone in our league that was there when he hosted this last weekend can confirm it.

#3153 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I saw it first hand from the new Premium off the line from one of our guys in our league. Don't know if he ever posts on here. I know he reads it, but don't know if he has an account. Anyone in our league that was there when he hosted this last weekend can confirm it.

Can confirm what? I think the previous post wanted confirmation that it changes the shot geometry.

#3154 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Can confirm what? I think the previous post wanted confirmation that it changes the shot geometry.

I was looking for confirmation on if Stern is shipping new GB with standard flipper angles and if that is how they are supposed to be. He had said Stern screwed up and realized they should not be droopy.

Seems odd to me that after a year or so of producing these they would start to change flipper angles now so I was wondering if it is a one-off or they indeed intend for them to be standard angles.

#3155 6 years ago

I'm less concerned about the flipper alignment than I am with the fact that they simply don't act like they are supposed to. Has anyone been able to figure out why the flippers on GB feel different than any other Stern game? I've looked carefully at the entire flipper assembly, and I can't spot anything different. I've also tried adjusting the switch gaps to no avail. I'm curious to know if this is a problem that affects all GBs, or just some. Does anyone have a GB with flippers that they consider to be perfectly normal? I'm talking about the ability to easily flutter them with a half press of the button so you can do tap passes, post passes, etc .... No matter what adjustments I make, I still find these finesses moves to be extremely difficult on my game.

#3156 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

confirmation that it changes the shot geometry? that would be a dumb ass question, as every fraction those flippers are set up or down completely changes the geometry on every game.

#3157 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm less concerned about the flipper alignment than I am with the fact that they simply don't act like they are supposed to. Has anyone been able to figure out why the flippers on GB feel different than any other Stern game? I've looked carefully at the entire flipper assembly, and I can't spot anything different. I've also tried adjusting the switch gaps to no avail. I'm curious to know if this is a problem that affects all GBs, or just some. Does anyone have a GB with flippers that they consider to be perfectly normal? I'm talking about the ability to easily flutter them with a half press of the button so you can do tap passes, post passes, etc .... No matter what adjustments I make, I still find these finesses moves to be extremely difficult on my game.

I'm not crazy! I couldn't figure out why I couldn't quick flip/flutter either. I put in CT led button kit and they feel better but still not as good as say my tron, maybe even metallica pro.

#3158 6 years ago
Quoted from GhostThruster:

I was looking for confirmation on if Stern is shipping new GB with standard flipper angles and if that is how they are supposed to be. He had said Stern screwed up and realized they should not be droopy.
Seems odd to me that after a year or so of producing these they would start to change flipper angles now so I was wondering if it is a one-off or they indeed intend for them to be standard angles.

it's not that crazy. because of the alignment holes are in the playfield wrong. Production is used to aligning the flippers based upon that. Also takes awhile for word to get around, then to get production to compensate for it, it's going to take awhile for that to happen. They had more pressing issues to resolve. Flipper alignment wasn't top priority, as it's something people can fix at home without much effort.

#3159 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Btw, Stern has changed the flipper alignment to normal.
I said it over and over that the flippers are droopy and doesn't play correctly to the design of the field. People here kept saying that's the way it was ment to be because it came from the factory that way. I fixed my flippers so they are setup like all other new sterns. Shots were smoother and cleaner.
NOW:::: fresh from the stern factory. The flippers are coming out, aligned correctly. no more droopy flippers. Friend just bought a new premium and the flippers were setup like mine were.
The marker holes are still in the droopy spot, but they were installed so the holes were aligned with the bottom of the flipper plastic. Stern realized they screwed up and changed it.

Wait....Trudeau said in an interview I believe it was with Spida1 aka Bucci, that that's the way he designed the flippers. I heard the shots are harder to make with adjusting to a normal alignment?

I have a hard time back handing the left flipper up the Ramp, only make it 2 out of 10 not enough power. Wondering if changing to normal not droopy if it would be easier to make.

Also, my right flipper creates airballs up that ramp even with Art's protector. Wondering if raising the flipper to normal would make that flipper shot weaker so that there aren't as many airballs

#3160 6 years ago

making normal alignment, it you can backhand with power. Hell, if i'm fast enough I can backhand the librarian scoop. that's a great feeling.

#3161 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

confirmation that it changes the shot geometry? that would be a dumb ass question, as every fraction those flippers are set up or down completely changes the geometry on every game.

Right- but for better or worse on GB?

#3162 6 years ago

I have mine in the droopy position and have no problem back handing either ramp can even back hand the left orbit once in a while, i can easily pass the ball from right flipper to left flipper but have a bit of a problem from left to right i probably need to look at alignment a little further......

#3163 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

making normal alignment, it you can backhand with power. Hell, if i'm fast enough I can backhand the librarian scoop. that's a great feeling.

Yup, mine are adjusted as well and I can backhand the left ramp easily.

#3164 6 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Also, my right flipper creates airballs up that ramp even with Art's protector. Wondering if raising the flipper to normal would make that flipper shot weaker so that there aren't as many airballs

If you are getting airballs from the ramp, youll need to check flipper strength, or the flap itself creating lift....even a cliffy on the scoleri target.

If its from the far right fixed target, the plastic can be adjusted for coverage and height.
In a few rare cases, it can fail due to an assembly that is very far off.

I have a customer who put foam, swinks angles, my plastic, modified my plastic, and says he still gets air balls.....no idea, but if you need help lowering the plastic or raising the height,shoot me a PM.

#3165 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

If you are getting airballs from the ramp, youll need to check flipper strength, or the flap itself creating lift....even a cliffy on the scoleri target.
If its from the far right fixed target, the plastic can be adjusted for coverage and height.
In a few rare cases, it can fail due to an assembly that is very far off.
I have a customer who put foam, swinks angles, my plastic, modified my plastic, and says he still gets air balls.....no idea, but if you need help lowering the plastic or raising the height,shoot me a PM.

OldPinGuy, the air ball protector gets in the way of every shot I try to get in the ramp, it hits the front of the protector all the time. Is this about going in the software and lowering the strength of the flipper coil? Or if not, I would have to raise the plastic and then the screws are too short and I can't apply the bolt. What do you recommend?

As well, the Ecto-Goggle protectors plastic (both bought from Modfather) only allows me to get the first top screw in. The other screws won't fit as the plastic hits the glass circle on the side. For the Ecto-Goggle protectors do I simply get bigger screws?

#3166 6 years ago

If there is not enough thread on the standoffs to add two washers and secure the nut, or it still doesnt clear, then you;ll need either 2 or 3 short stand-offs, 1/4" or less.

You would raise the 2 left anchor points, or all 3.

As one can note, the oval hole, where the boom comes up from below the playfield, has a large oval opening.
Depending on the playfield, how its dimpled and assembled, (Ramp, and Boom) can vary by as much as about 5mm is my guess in assembly. There is minimal difference in game play, but it causes the ramp itself to be in a different position relative to the captive ball anchor, and the left plastic anchor.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3167 6 years ago

I had to get your extenders, but the airballs were 4x as bad so I lowered it. The problem was the ball just touched the back side of plastic on ramp.

I still get some with lowering but not as bad, but had to dremel so I could slide plastic down so that it cleared and it's like 1/64 "

20170522_181037 (resized).jpg20170522_181037 (resized).jpg

20170522_181124 (resized).jpg20170522_181124 (resized).jpg

#3168 6 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Another question if possible. Could someone take a photo of the switch gap of magna sling leaf switch? My original playfield function really well, this one the slings are dead more times than not. I cannot recall how sensitive the switches were if at all different. But I'm guessing the rubber has to deflect way took much to activate the magnets.

Before you start adjusting the switches ,
Flip the Rubbers around on the Slings .
Put the long Sling rubber where the small post ring is and vice versa.
It helps TREMENDOUSLY.

#3169 6 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Yup, mine are adjusted as well and I can backhand the left ramp easily.

I can back hand the left ramp, and left orbit shot with the flippers in the position that they came out of the box with. It won't work if you're letting it roll onto the flipper from the inlane. Has to be completely stopped

#3170 6 years ago

Who is else is blinded by the Flashers in front of the slings?

Well I did the following below. I simply screwed each piece above the led boards for each of the inserts. Used a green bucket, but still was bright. Then crazy glued some blue cellophane paper to the green plastic and it worked great. It's half the brightness now. The pic doesn't really show it.

20170512_151609 (resized).jpg20170512_151609 (resized).jpg

20170512_151621 (resized).jpg20170512_151621 (resized).jpg

#3171 6 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

OldPinGuy, the air ball protector gets in the way of every shot I try to get in the ramp, it hits the front of the protector all the time. Is this about going in the software and lowering the strength of the flipper coil? Or if not, I would have to raise the plastic and then the screws are too short and I can't apply the bolt. What do you recommend?
As well, the Ecto-Goggle protectors plastic (both bought from Modfather) only allows me to get the first top screw in. The other screws won't fit as the plastic hits the glass circle on the side. For the Ecto-Goggle protectors do I simply get bigger screws?

how many screws did you get for the ecto protector? I received 2 and the shield has only two places to fit it, one hole in the plastic and another right angle plate attached to the plastic

#3172 6 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

how many screws did you get for the ecto protector? I received zero screws the shield has only two places to fit it, one hole in the plastic and another right angle plate attached to the plastic

#3173 6 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

how many screws did you get for the ecto protector? I received 2 and the shield has only two places to fit it, one hole in the plastic and another right angle plate attached to the plastic

Oddly enough, didn't get any screws :/. And on the Modfather website, just shows the plastics alone. So maybe I got "screwed"? But what's strange is the examples shown on his website shows all three screws in the plastic for the ecto goggles when installed.

#3174 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yep
easy control on left flip, ball climb slowly near the end, and than back-shot and in the left scoop

#3175 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm talking about the ability to easily flutter them with a half press of the button so you can do tap passes, post passes, etc .... No matter what adjustments I make, I still find these finesses moves to be extremely difficult on my game.

Can you really, easily, do a tap pass on any modern stern? I know there are people that can do it, but I thought it was a pretty short list.

I have not spent much time on other spike games, but I remember disliking the flipper feel of GOT when I first played it. GB certainly has different timing related to when the flipper disengages than SAM games.

#3176 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Can you really, easily, do a tap pass on any modern stern?

It's not as easy as it is on older solid state games, but I generally have pretty good success with the move if the flippers are adjusted correctly. On GB, however, it's extremely difficult.

Quoted from imharrow:

I have not spent much time on other spike games, but I remember disliking the flipper feel of GOT when I first played it. GB certainly has different timing related to when the flipper disengages than SAM games.

I own both GB and GoT. There is no comparison. The flippers on GB play like s**t. It's something I've gotten used to, but I sure would like to know why the flippers are so different on this game. If we can identify the cause, then perhaps we can come up with a fix.

#3177 6 years ago

After replacing my flippers I get "locating balls" and the trough test shows no balls but all six are in. Any suggestions?

I have reseated any plugs I removed to get to underneath the flippers when installing. Baffled and infuriated.

Help!

#3178 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Can you really, easily, do a tap pass on any modern stern? I know there are people that can do it, but I thought it was a pretty short list.

I do agree with you it's hard to do this. Much easier to do on slower games.
I very seldom found myself in a position to want to do a flipper pass during a game of Ghostbusters. There is always something to shoot out with either flipper. Also, the way I have my game adjusted if it shoots out of the left scoop it will bounce off the right flipper to the left flipper. When the ball shoots out of the right cup storage facility it bounces off the left flipper and easily rests on the right flipper. I call this a defensive pass. It's such a fast game when I do attempt to flipper stall or flipper pass I usually fumble the ball and lose it. I have learned to appreciate this as it keeps the ball in motion.

#3179 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It's not as easy as it is on older solid state games, but I generally have pretty good success with the move if the flippers are adjusted correctly. On GB, however, it's extremely difficult.

I own both GB and GoT. There is no comparison. The flippers on GB play like s**t. It's something I've gotten used to, but I sure would like to know why the flippers are so different on this game. If we can identify the cause, then perhaps we can come up with a fix.

I never noticed this. MY GB feels like my AC/DC. did you try increasing the flipper strength?

#3180 6 years ago
Quoted from Mobsync:

After replacing my flippers I get "locating balls" and the trough test shows no balls but all six are in. Any suggestions?
I have reseated any plugs I removed to get to underneath the flippers when installing. Baffled and infuriated.
Help!

start with visual check of trough switches and make sure they are not missing a wire that fell off

then go to switch test and see if the switch registers.

Trace back switch(es) that do not register to where they go. I don't think a manual or schematic is out so hard to show a switch matrix etc, but sounds like it may be all related to one place if all trough switches do not see a ball

#3181 6 years ago

On my premium there is a noticeable delay between button press and flipper operation, and I've noticed it doesn't respond very well to brief taps or release/press movements. There have been a few instances of it completely dropping the flipper during repeated short taps, whereas the same operation on a non-spike is instantenous and consistent.

#3182 6 years ago

I am having the same problem on my GB pro. I just bought it NIB and every time Slimer or the Scoleri brothers pop up, the left flipper stops working. Even the sling lights go out, and then come back on. I looked at the setting and it says to check the EOS switch D10 ? Can someone help?

#3183 6 years ago
Quoted from kingau:

I am having the same problem on my GB pro. I just bought it NIB and every time Slimer or the Scoleri brothers pop up, the left flipper stops working. Even the sling lights go out, and then come back on. I looked at the setting and it says to check the EOS switch D10 ? Can someone help?

I would strongly recommend contacting your distributor for assistance. Did you buy it locally? It almost sounds like a loose connection or maybe a flakey node board (8?)

Rob

#3184 6 years ago

With regards to flipper response, I also noticed on my KISS machine the same kind of thing. I could not get any kind of quick action. I went through a few searches to see if it was something on mine that was out of adjustment, but came up empty. I eventually just chalked it up to a characteristic of Spike. The interesting thing is over time, this has improved on it's own. I am now at about 3k games and it is noticeably better. I have no good explanation for it, but perhaps there is hope that GB flipper feel will get better with time as well.

#3185 6 years ago

ok so this keeps happening. any suggestions?

#3186 6 years ago

change the slope...

this could happend on all pins, its just something linked to physics, that movement, speed, height, force is just "perfect"

#3187 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I would strongly recommend contacting your distributor for assistance. Did you buy it locally? It almost sounds like a loose connection or maybe a flakey node board (8?)
Rob

Will do Rob,
I got it from pinball and games in CT, They are very good and fast.
I just hope it's a loose connection.

#3188 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

» YouTube video

Yes as previous said, I would think this has to be related to the slope of the playfield. Try changing it.

#3189 6 years ago

.....ahhhh the ghosts are playing with your balls, Pez!

#3190 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

» YouTube video

Yes, Increase the slope to 7 degrees. You can use a smart phone app or use the built in bubble on the right. For 7-degrees sent the bubble high within the lines (touching top line). (lower front feet or raise back feet) .

#3191 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I never noticed this. MY GB feels like my AC/DC. did you try increasing the flipper strength?

How exactly do you increase flipper strength on GB? I don't recall it as a setting.

#3192 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

» YouTube video

1 - I would just leave it...see how high the game can score.

2 - Up the slingshot power. They look weak to me.

#3193 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

2 - Up the slingshot power. They look weak to me.

I know Trekkie1978 is joking, but in the old code you could change the mag sling power although this was removed in the later code revisions.
pezpunk , Ifyou are not running code update 1.13, you want to update, but checking your video I see a ton of mods so I suspect you did the code update long before now.

#3194 6 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

I know Trekkie1978 is joking, but in the old code you could change the mag sling power although this was removed in the later code revisions.
pezpunk , Ifyou are not running code update 1.13, you want to update, but checking your video I see a ton of mods so I suspect you did the code update long before now.

I have the LE, I didn't know they removed that from the pro.

Maybe try going back to the stock rubbers. Maybe they make a difference.

Look at how the ball is traveling, it has a slight arc to it. None of my Stern games shoot the ball like that off the slingshot.

#3195 6 years ago

Pretty sure Pez has a pro. No mag slings. Up the coil pulse to hard and see if that helps. Also increase the slope.

#3196 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What style? female on both ends, or male on one?

It is a female/female hex spacer.

Installed it last night before league and it doesn't make hitting that ramp any easier once the ball goes up, it seems to make it waaayyy more often. I had one roll back but it wasn't a clean shot at all.

Great upgrade/tip! Would recommend!

#3197 6 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

thanks. yeah, already running 1.13.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Pretty sure Pez has a pro. No mag slings. Up the coil pulse to hard and see if that helps. Also increase the slope.

i couldn't find any settings for the slingshot coils in the menus, but i'll look again. there is one setting for "coil strength", but that applies to the flippers (and the slings?). i have always had that turned that down to "soft" because "normal" was just ridiculous (seemed like it would break stuff quickly, and there were tons of airballs). on "soft", the game is still fast as hell and i can still backhand the left ramp from a cradle so i figure that's more than strong enough.

thanks for all the suggestions, guys. i'll try adjusting the slope, although i think i already have it jacked up pretty high (maybe that's why the ball is arcing like that). if that doesn't work, i'll see if i can live with the "normal" coil strength, and if all else fails, i'll put the stock black rubbers back on, which would be a bummer because i really like how the translucent ones look on this game.

#3198 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

1 - I would just leave it...see how high the game can score.

well i let it go for like 10 minutes and it increased my score by about 100,000 points. that's about 15 million points per 24 hours i left it doing that. i'd have to leave it bouncing like that for over 6 months to appoach my current high score.

#3199 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

well i let it go for like 10 minutes and it increased my score by about 100,000 points. that's about 15 million points per 24 hours i left it doing that. i'd have to leave it bouncing like that for over 6 months to appoach my current high score.

Patience is a virtue.

#3200 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i have always had that turned that down to "soft"

Imo, this is exactly why your issue occurred. Step it up to normal and see what happens. Pretty sure this setting applies to everything except the flippers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 4,531 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 91.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-issue-thread/page/64?hl=ecto1a2003 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.