Topic Stats

• 4,388 posts
  • 513 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Rager170
  • Topic is favorited by 142 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 698 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Node 8 (resized).png
C7EC193A-FD74-4DE0-9F4D-C3126E05D879 (resized).jpeg
564490C6-944B-41B6-9606-ECFA2D4ED963 (resized).jpeg
D864302A-8C2C-48A2-9FB6-84A8DCDD72D5 (resized).jpeg
Drop-target-assembly500-9960-00-01 (resized).jpg
file2 (resized).jpeg
file1 (resized).jpeg
file (resized).jpeg
20190922_151526 (resized).jpg
20190922_194026 (resized).jpg
IMG_6764 (resized).JPG
IMG_6762 (resized).JPG
IMG_6763 (resized).JPG
IMG_6753 (resized).JPG
IMG_6752 (resized).JPG
IMG_6751 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 4388 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 88.
#2701 2 years ago

I find the hole in Stern's decals to be helpful when aligning the blades.

#2702 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

No, not on the three I have installed. I assume because the material they use can be easily peeled off and reapplied it's not necessary to have the hole.

OK thanks

#2703 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I put the shorter spacer on mine and it didn't really seem to help a whole lot. It has to be an absolutely perfect shot with some steam on it to make the full ramp still.

Couple of other things you can try:
- Loosen the mounting screws just a bit at the base so the ramp has more give.
- Spray the ramp with Plexus cleaner (like a wax for plastics), made an improvement for me.

#2704 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I put the shorter spacer on mine and it didn't really seem to help a whole lot. It has to be an absolutely perfect shot with some steam on it to make the full ramp still.

I monkeyed around with this more tonight and am wondering if the key is to pull the right ramp towards you as much as possible. This creates, at least on my machine, a steeper ramp to begin with, but then also allows the ramp to be more level as it gets to the top, hits the switch, and heads down the metal ramp back down to the left flipper. Again, my right ramp has some wiggle to it. It is very securely tight with the two screws in front. But, you can pull the ramp towards you and make it steeper at first. I also added drop dead foam under the plastic ramp to keep it propped up and steep at the beginning. I went 7-7 on the shot once I made this adjustment. I am also using the shorter 1 5/8 inch hex post. More testing to come, but I liked what I saw tonight.

#2705 2 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

This video is the same shot repeated for your review.
I've been monitoring the shooter lane to orbit with a camera.
I think this may be happening to some people.
It only happened to me once or twice. The ball reaches the left gate but glances off the left edge > ricochet into the right edge > follows through roughly.
Suggestions:
** Reduce the incline of your playfield if its extra steep.
** Next time waxing your playfield... Wax this area and the metal walls with extra attention.
** I'm still using the original shooter spring. I did not switch the orange out for a green and I get like 99% clean orbits.
ยป YouTube video

I am having this problem as well as the ball lifting and hitting the corner of the bracket of the gate behind stay puft. It's also missing the switch occasionally.

I don't think my game is near the max incline. Did waxing fix the issue for anyone? I have the green shooter spring now and still have issues.

#2706 2 years ago

I pulled the gate behind Stay Puft and gently grinded the corner off (rounded). I also made a bent plastic simular to what was suggested. I also enlarged the holes on the gate to slightly move it upward. I do have the green spring and the stiffer auto-plunge spring. None of this solved the problem.

The ball seems to "rattle" and consistently not smoothly rounding the corner. I've filmed in slow-mo to watch and it appears to be a rattle and slowdown. Sometimes not even making it to PKE and falling down to the ECTO goggles.

I'm thinking it's a ramp issue where the ball skips from right to left then hits the inner wall.

To sum it up. Some of the above fixes resolve issues but some of us have other things going on.

thanks for all your help guys.

#2707 2 years ago

has anybody lowered the flipper strength and had any issues making the ramp?

#2708 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

I pulled the gate behind Stay Puft and gently grinded the corner off (rounded). I also made a bent plastic simular to what was suggested. I also enlarged the holes on the gate to slightly move it upward. I do have the green spring and the stiffer auto-plunge spring. None of this solved the problem.
The ball seems to "rattle" and consistently not smoothly rounding the corner. I've filmed in slow-mo to watch and it appears to be a rattle and slowdown. Sometimes not even making it to PKE and falling down to the ECTO goggles.
I'm thinking it's a ramp issue where the ball skips from right to left then hits the inner wall.
To sum it up. Some of the above fixes resolve issues but some of us have other things going on.
thanks for all your help guys.

Exactly,
That right back corner is problematic, I ended up removing the one way gate all together.

#2709 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

has anybody lowered the flipper strength and had any issues making the ramp?

I have mine on the lowest setting and have no problem on 7+ pitch.

#2710 2 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Exactly,
That right back corner is problematic, I ended up removing the one way gate all together.

I just pushed the entire bracket up a little and played 2 flawless games. Shots were 100% orbit and plunge.

I imagine over a short period of time it will settle back down since I really did nothing to permanently keep it up. Give it a try a see if it fixes your issues.

#2711 2 years ago

Just got my gble replacement playfield. Right orbit does not register when made cleanly. Tried to adjust it 5 times and still no luck. Any suggestions?

#2712 2 years ago
Quoted from atariaction:

Just got my gble replacement playfield. Right orbit does not register when made cleanly. Tried to adjust it 5 times and still no luck. Any suggestions?

atariaction What did you adjust? Did you test & adjust the switch #55 behind staypuft? The switch should make before its fully pressed.
switches (resized).png

#2713 2 years ago

I'm so tempted to pick up a GB, but 55 pages of issues/tweaks/fixes?! Is this game really that much of a POS? Not sure I want to go down that road.

#2714 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'm so tempted to pick up a GB, but 55 pages of issues/tweaks/fixes?! Is this game really that much of a POS? Not sure I want to go down that road.

Only about 4, hashed over a dozen times each......

#2715 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

If this is your first NIB then I'd say you'd have more tweaks to deal with than you'd like. But not all games are created equal and imo most of the quirks with this game are worked out simply through playing the snot out of it.

#2716 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

- Out lane plastics to stop the ball from jumping

- Scoleri Brothers targets springs need to be shortened about 10-15 rings

- Airball protector for the left ramp

- 1 5/8" Hex Spacer for the right ramp (Premium and LE)

- Hooked on Pinball ecto goggles protector

A lot of the fixes can be found here, on Pinball Supernova Youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYkP5URZoS8NApETWc7uBmA

#2717 2 years ago

I'm new to Stern code updates. I guess you go to the website and download to zip drive then transfer to game. Where do you plug the zip in the board - there are 2 USB ports on the board in back box and one port on top. Then do you just power the game on or do you have to use the utilities menu?

BTW - my GB has been error free since new - only added plastics and lowered hex spacer. AS has been great too, right out of the box.

#2718 2 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I'm new to Stern code updates. I guess you go to the website and download to zip drive then transfer to game. Where do you plug the zip in the board - there are 2 USB ports on the board in back box and one port on top. Then do you just power the game on or do you have to use the utilities menu?
BTW - my GB has been error free since new - only added plastics and lowered hex spacer. AS has been great too, right out of the box.

Load code file onto a thumb drive (.spk) file.

Turn the game off and wait a couple minutes. Plug the drive into either USB port on the bottom of the board in the head. Turn the game on. Follow the prompts on the screen. Update starts automatically

#2719 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If this is your first NIB then I'd say you'd have more tweaks to deal with than you'd like. But not all games are created equal and imo most of the quirks with this game are worked out simply through playing the snot out of it.

Yup, it's just a roll of the dice really. My Pro was one of the first off the line, April 2016 and it's played perfect since then.

#2720 2 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I just pushed the entire bracket up a little and played 2 flawless games. Shots were 100% orbit and plunge.
I imagine over a short period of time it will settle back down since I really did nothing to permanently keep it up. Give it a try a see if it fixes your issues.

Man I wish it was that easy.
I have even used my dremel to remove and round out that bracket, I've tried washers to angle it , etc. The game plays best with it gone in my case.

#2721 2 years ago

Thanks for the info Chuck!

#2722 2 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

I have even used my dremel to remove and round out that bracket, I've tried washers to angle it , etc. The game plays best with it gone in my case.

I have a theory after closer inspection. My switch rests against the outside of the opening instead of in the middle. Could it be that when the ball first makes contact with the switch, the switch isn't being depressed because of how it's resting against the wood, and is actually pushing the ball into the air hitting the corner of the gate?

The angle of the ball on an orbit shot would make it even harder for the switch to depress.

#2723 2 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I have a theory after closer inspection. My switch rests against the outside of the opening instead of in the middle. Could it be that when the ball first makes contact with the switch, the switch isn't being depressed because of how it's resting against the wood, and is actually pushing the ball into the air hitting the corner of the gate?
The angle of the ball on an orbit shot would make it even harder for the switch to depress.

My switch works fine , except on really fast and most likely an airborne ball.
My issue is that darn gate makes the ball RATTLE around . Killing smooth orbit shots and deflecting the ball to god who knows where .
Honestly, it's the only issue I have had with the game . Great fun, fast and friends really enjoy playing it .

#2724 2 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

What happens when it's gone and you hit up the firehouse lane? Does it roll back into the shooter lane?

#2725 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

What happens when it's gone and you hit up the firehouse lane? Does it roll back into the shooter lane?

No not at all , it's fast smooth orbit shot that exits from the Ecto goggle lane / right orbit .
It does hit the one way gate exiting the right orbit and delivered to the right flipper.

#2726 2 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

atariaction What did you adjust? Did you test & adjust the switch #55 behind staypuft? The switch should make before its fully pressed.

Yes switch 55. In test mode with a ball. A clean shot up there does not register 90% of the time. I tried to raise up the switch arm a bit but not easy to do with these style of semi circular switch arms.

#2727 2 years ago

my game has been working really well and then after about 450 games the left scoop just sudden snapped the spot welds - I removed and on inspection noticed the spot welds aren't penetrating and bonding well through both pieces = weld intensity not correct or spot welded time frame too short. So I dare say this will occur to others in time.

bracket drops down
P1150233 (resized).JPG

then lifted up
P1150234 (resized).JPG

to remove - remove the plastic which will then expose 2 x 5/64 allen headed bolts and remove those first
P1150235 (resized).JPG

lift the playfield up and remove the hex head wood screw so the assembly can drop out
P1150236 (resized).JPG

the broken spot welds
P1150237 (resized).JPG

will look to see if I can drill and tap and report back unless someone else can recommend another solution. I could get a work mate to SS weld but then would have to wait until Tuesday next week......

#2728 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

my lhs scoop just snapped after about 450 games - any solutions or replace under warranty

Take pictures for a replacement.

I would weld the back of the new one for strength...if you know anyone who can do it.

#2729 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

my game has been working really well and then after about 450 games the left scoop just sudden snapped the spot welds - I removed and on inspection noticed the spot welds aren't penetrating and bonding well through both pieces = weld intensity not correct or spot welded time frame too short. So I dare say this will occur to others in time.
bracket drops down

then lifted up

to remove - remove the plastic which will then expose 2 x 5/64 allen headed bolts and remove those first

lift the playfield up and remove the hex head wood screw so the assembly can drop out

the broken spot welds

will look to see if I can drill and tap and report back unless someone else can recommend another solution. I could get a work mate to SS weld but then would have to wait until Tuesday next week......

Send all these to stern and get it replaced. I'm sure they will hook you up.

#2730 2 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Exactly,

I ended up removing the damn machine from my house all together. It gets a new owner tomorrow.
That plastic flap for the orbit looks promising though. I hope it takes care of that issue. It is maddening. Good luck!

#2731 2 years ago
Quoted from atariaction:

If you can make something like this it should help:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-issue-thread/page/54#post-3677422

#2732 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

bracket drops down

then lifted up

the broken spot welds

Solution ... call stern tech support line . They hopefully will send you a new one. Metal parts should not fail the 1st year. Be prepared to send a picture

#2733 2 years ago

so...out of nowhere my machine is not remembering settings after I turn it off. Any suggestions? I haven't changed the battery yet but the machine is only 6 months old. Could that be it?

#2734 2 years ago

With all the issues with ghostbusters would anyone recommend buying a NIB ghostbusters machine? Or buy something else?

#2735 2 years ago

A user in another thread suggested that the mylar strip on the echo lane is causing the "lift" that causes hard shots not to register. They said that earlier Premiums didn't have the mylar, and had no issue with the switch not registering, and that it should be removed.

Anyone not having issues on their Ecto Lane missing the Mylar? I have it, and I have the issue.

#2736 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

A user in another thread suggested that the mylar strip on the echo lane is causing the "lift" that causes hard shots not to register. They said that earlier Premiums didn't have the mylar, and had no issue with the switch not registering, and that it should be removed.
Anyone not having issues on their Ecto Lane missing the Mylar? I have it, and I have the issue.

Are you talking about the switch registering on the right orbit? I have a prem from Sept with no issues. Looked around that area and didn't see mylar.....

although now my game isn't saving anymore so who knows!

#2737 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Are you talking about the switch registering on the right orbit? I have a prem from Sept with no issues. Looked around that area and didn't see mylar.....
although now my game isn't saving anymore so who knows!

Yes. Hard shots don't register, soft shots do.

Mine came in November and had the Mylar.

#2738 2 years ago
Quoted from packards34:

With all the issues with ghostbusters would anyone recommend buying a NIB ghostbusters machine? Or buy something else?

Yes I would recommend getting a NIB GB because most games don't have any serious issues and the little tweaks that need to be done are no big deal whatsoever. It's a great machine, don't be scared to get one.

#2739 2 years ago
Quoted from packards34:

I would buy another one. I would do it again. I'm gracious that this forum exists to discuss issues and share ideas.
I've been told the Ghostbusters is the best selling pin in the last 16 years. Not sure what's thatch worth but probably because so many bought it for home use. Therefore we're picky and looking at the small details.

I still like it and if it wasn't for the other bazillion responsibilities I have I'd be playing right now and into the wee-morning.

#2740 2 years ago

Glad to hear that those who have them are enjoying them. They look like a fun machine. Hopefully in the not too distant future I'll add one to my current collection

#2741 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

so...out of nowhere my machine is not remembering settings after I turn it off. Any suggestions? I haven't changed the battery yet but the machine is only 6 months old. Could that be it?

There very 1st thing I would do is change the battery.
If that does not fix it, you really need to call Stern's number under the lockdown bar.
I bet its the battery. I know its not old but it could be faulty.

#2742 2 years ago

Also make sure the tabs on the battery are making good contact

#2743 2 years ago
Quoted from packards34:

In my opinion there are not a lot of issues, just a lot of talk & help repeating on the same issues. The fact that we have a ghostbusters issues thread scares new buyers. Personally , I think every new game should have this same thread. There are issues with Batman66, they just don't have this thread to help people deal with the issues.

By the way, If you a new Ghostbusters buyer/owner and are freaked out about the GB airballs, please note that Ghostbusters is not the only game that has airballs. Click this video with time code and watch for 30 seconds.

Also keep in mind: Many of the GB issues have been resolved by Stern so a new GB produced today comes with fixes so some "issues" are moot to a new buyer.
Examples:
Playfield issues: Resolved. Stern's current playfields are good. No ghosting inserts reported in a long while on current production units.
Bending right captive ball guide: Stern fixed this. Your new machine comes with a plate installed making it impossible for it to bend.
Shorting led under left captive ball-guide: Stern fixed this. Comes pre-installed on new machines.
Possible ball strike on ecto-goggle: Stern installs a fix on new machines but its lame so stop over at Hooked-on-pinball and get the Ecto-Bubble. .

I also want to say:
Ghostbusters was my 1st machine & its been a great experience.
I have learned so much about being a pinball owner since Sept-2016. I entered pinball with the understanding "a pinball machine is not a toaster" . I was fully aware there's always going to be maintenance, adjustments, mods, updates, and yes the occasional odd behavior. Overall I feel like ghostbusters was a great choice. Star Trek was a close 2nd choice which I still think about sometimes. But in my opinion Ghostbusters is a solid machine with a few things you should do that have all been figured out for you so you can buy a handful of update-items and do a handful of adjustments and you will have one of the best Stern machines in recent years.

I had been interested in buying a pinball machine ever since I saw Spida1a's unboxing review of Transformers-LE back in 2012.
I decided to check-out each new machine as they came out (including Jersey-Jack machines). That quest took me all the way up to "Ghostbusters" & I have no regrets. Our entire family and extended family plays our Ghostbusters(premium) nearly every day even after 6 months of being in the house.

What you should expect to do to your new Ghostbusters.
Order these items right away.
Premium Ecto-goggle bubble
Cliffy drain hole & shooter lane kit *
Art's Airball & Out-lane Kit

Adjustments:
Update to newest code 1.13 before doing any adjustments. *
Calibrate Slimer (may require manual adjustment of slimer-switch to get perfect) (Its not hard)
Check and Adjust switches to ensure reliable contact. *
Might need to adjust ball guide gate behind Staypuft. (I did not need to, but other's have.

Keep in mind, Some of these items you will have to do to any new pinball machine ( * indicates those items )

...And if you have a question, you have the world's best resource at your finger-tips.
Pinside is loaded with knowledgeable people with experience who are always willing to help.

The video that got me interested and excited about pinball... Thanks Chris!

ChuckSmith

#2744 2 years ago

No luck in reaching Stern customer service yet in the meantime can somebody take a close up picture of the battery in the back box so I can compare mine to one that's working thank you

#2745 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

No luck in reaching Stern customer service yet in the meantime can somebody take a close up picture of the battery in the back box so I can compare mine to one that's working thank you

They're not open on the weekends.

#2746 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Not sure how this will help but here ya go...
BATTERY-GB (resized).jpg

#2747 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

bracket drops down

then lifted up

the broken spot welds

Same thing happened to my NIB Pro at around the 2 1/2 month mark. Probably had less than 125 games on it. Called Stern and they sent me a new one. I found it a little more difficult to remove from the PF.

#2748 2 years ago

Ok great thanks. I will try. I think the ball must ride up the side of the metal guide a bit (with a clean shot) clearing the switch alltogether so a roof may force the ball down and the switch to close.

#2749 2 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Not sure how this will help but here ya go...

Thanks not home yet but just first glance that looks a little different than mine but I'll double-check in the meantime to make sure it's not a power thing my board lights up perfectly fine but I'm not sure if you know where the power is to the board the battery port

#2750 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I am pretty sure all game settings are saved directly to the SD card. The battery should play no role. It would be worth checking the write protection switch on the card itself and/or making a copy to a another SD card and see if that fixes it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
There are 4388 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 88.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside