New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 158288)

Ghostbuster Issue Thread

By exflexer

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,465 posts
  • 526 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by cpr9999
  • Topic is favorited by 148 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 713 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SwitchStatus (resized).jpg
TroughSwStatus (resized).JPG
screen-capture-1 (resized).png
0255267F-B344-4A63-AF52-98DC3187BF9D (resized).jpeg
1331CF7A-01AE-4406-9820-04400DCCBD5F (resized).jpeg
4108cb973a95ea7af25aed4b17fca9ebd79e350b.png (resized).png
15FB2563-1183-47AE-9CAD-29E28F48CE76 (resized).png
3E7F33D8-B885-40E3-9F8B-D3DEB2864FFA (resized).png
A4C49F70-C0D9-4E25-BF1A-2B738D764708 (resized).png
360A39C8-0C7C-413F-A84E-F2F5E058E086 (resized).png
IMG_4482 (resized).JPG
Ramp Postr (resized).jpg
Ramp Post (resized).jpg
IMG_20200225_234132 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200127_105230 (resized).jpg
Node 8 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4465 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 90.
#2151 3 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Still not sure why people love this game with all the flaws it has from the factory

In spite of its flaws, it's still a very fun game to play! But, the multiballs do need to be spiffed up a bit.

Rob

#2152 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

He needs a piece of plastic that covers the whole ramp.
Tough to anchor.

I put 2 leg coasters on the back to pitch it more and so far, knock wood, it does not hit the glass.

#2153 3 years ago

Just took off my Cliffy's for the Scoleri Bros targets. It was apparent they were causing air balls. The ball would literally jumping over the air ball protector I bought for the 2x and 3x targets on the sides of the left ramp.

Thankfully the mirror for the Ecto Goggles was not broken. However, I still ordered the fully enclosed plastic protector for the Ecto Goggles from Hooked On Pinball to be safe.

#2154 3 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

Just took off my Cliffy's for the Scoleri Bros targets. It was apparent they were causing air balls. The ball would literally jumping over the air ball protector I bought for the 2x and 3x targets on the sides of the left ramp.
Thankfully the mirror for the Ecto Goggles was not broken. However, I still ordered the fully enclosed plastic protector for the Ecto Goggles from Hooked On Pinball to be safe.

I'm confused how the Cliffy Scoleri Bros protectors could cause airballs , are u saying the balls ricochete off the protectors ?

#2155 3 years ago
Quoted from Alby:

I'm confused how the Cliffy Scoleri Bros protectors could cause airballs , are u saying the balls ricochete off the protectors ?

It gave it just enough of a lip that it was launching (ricocheting) the balls off it. Even Cliffy said he could see how that could happen.

#2156 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Let us know if you get it working.

I couldn't get the nut to hold the metal rail center despite how tight I got it so I folded a piece of paper and made a shim. Shimmed it dead center and I haven't had a hang up in the subway tunnel since. You can see the white paper in the pic.

021 (resized).JPG

#2157 3 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

I couldn't get the nut to hold the metal rail center despite how tight I got it so I folded a piece of paper and made a shim. Shimmed it dead center and I haven't had a hang up in the subway tunnel since.

Awesome.
Glad you got it working.
Game play is much better knowing the ball will come back up.

#2158 3 years ago

I'll have to check mine out as well cause I've gotten the same type of airball as as you've described

#2159 3 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

So did this happen when you were running newer 1.12 code or prior to upgrading ?
Also , what was the reason the coil locked on ?
Loose wire , grounding out ???

This happened while I was running new code 1.11-1.12.

According to the manual, driver reference for the subway eject is controlled by node 8. Node 8 also powers the flippers, lower GI, etc. all of the lower playfield that was cutting in and out before all this happened. Which can only lead me to believe that a transistor or the board itself failed when the subway eject locked on and burned up no loose wiring. When I disconnected the coil on the subway the game came back on for a few then finally killed out when I turned it on the next day. Just kind of sad seeing core node board failures this soon. Best of luck to everyone hope you can avoid this.

Don't shut it off....the Storage Facility is smoking !!!

IMG_1690 (resized).JPG

#2160 3 years ago

Anyone run into the Librarian scoop coil becoming underpowered? I have a GB Pro on 1.10 and when my coil pops to put the ball back in play, it barely makes it to the flipper. Center drains half the time now.

I tried adjusting the strength in the menu but it doesn't matter if it's on max 64 or 30... same result.

#2161 3 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

It gave it just enough of a lip that it was launching (ricocheting) the balls off it. Even Cliffy said he could see how that could happen.

I've had no issues like that with mine.

#2162 3 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

I've had no issues like that with mine.

I haven't had any issues since I took them off. Believe me I didn't want to take them off but they were clearly an issue for my pf.

On a positive note, my Premium came with an LE pf signed by John Trudeau. The pf has handwritten on the side in sharpie 11-22 and a hand written sticker on the bottom that says Harold L-E 4 and another hand written sticker on the top that says Display Premium.

Anyone think I should put mylar over the signature?

001 (resized).JPG

001 (resized).JPG

#2163 3 years ago
Quoted from omgitsadam:

Anyone run into the Librarian scoop coil becoming underpowered? I have a GB Pro on 1.10 and when my coil pops to put the ball back in play, it barely makes it to the flipper. Center drains half the time now.
I tried adjusting the strength in the menu but it doesn't matter if it's on max 64 or 30... same result.

I set it to 20. The ball drops to the left flipper which is nice for right hand shots.

#2164 3 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

I set it to 20. The ball drops to the left flipper which is nice for right hand shots.

Same here.
I have a pro and a premium.
Both started shooting the ball straight down the middle instead of the right flipper.
Still do not understand whey Stern has such a hard time quality testing the aim of the scoops. Arrrrrgh.
Anyway, I lowered the power so it feed to the left on both of them.
Would be nice to play the game as designed though.

#2165 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Same here.
I have a pro and a premium.
Both started shooting the ball straight down the middle instead of the right flipper.
Still do not understand whey Stern has such a hard time quality testing the aim of the scoops. Arrrrrgh.
Anyway, I lowered the power so it feed to the left on both of them.
Would be nice to play the game as designed though.

I had to do the same thing on mine.

Nothing is worse than having it shoot straight down the middle. You shouldn't be punished for making the shot.

#2166 3 years ago
Quoted from omgitsadam:

I had mine set at 21 which was pefect for feeding the left flipper. But, then lately it started shooting out like I had it set at a softer setting and the ball was hitting the slingshot. I may bump it to 22 now.

Rob

#2167 3 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

The new design they sent me cleared with no washers. I was also able to get the original design to clear by putting washers below the deflector

I have been one of the beta testers for Oldpinguy on the GB premium airball and slingshot protector set and I am very pleased with the ease of install, appearance and performance of the product.

I believe that he now offers them for all three models.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1043-arts-arcade

#2168 3 years ago
Quoted from Bwilson:

This happened while I was running new code 1.11-1.12.
According to the manual, driver reference for the subway eject is controlled by node 8. Node 8 also powers the flippers, lower GI, etc. all of the lower playfield that was cutting in and out before all this happened. Which can only lead me to believe that a transistor or the board itself failed when the subway eject locked on and burned up no loose wiring. When I disconnected the coil on the subway the game came back on for a few then finally killed out when I turned it on the next day. Just kind of sad seeing core node board failures this soon. Best of luck to everyone hope you can avoid this.
Don't shut it off....the Storage Facility is smoking !!!

So it sounds lIke there really is nothing I can do to prevent it but just hope it doesn't , or wait until it does and replace the board.

#2169 3 years ago

Unfortunately, yes...

Either it's a bad batch of boards, or the previous 1.05 code and under was stressing that node 8 beyond it's capacity.

I always go through every NIB I open with a fine tooth comb before the game even sees electricity and nothing was out of sorts when my node 8 went up.

#2170 3 years ago

Rob_G chucksmith Arcade trekkie1978 Check your plastics by the strobe... here is a video I made of what happened with mine:

Basically the plastic next to the strobe somehow cracked already (HUO, 4 weeks of use)... if I put slight pressure where the crack is with my finger and test a ball, it makes it to the right flipper. If I don't put my finger there, straight down the drain.

I have talked to Chris at Cointaker and he is going to talk to Stern about it. It's kinda bonkers so many of us have the same issue so I'd check that spot and verify if yours are cracked as well.

Thanks for the idea of setting the power to ~20 to drop it to the left flipper so I can still play while waiting for this to be remedied.

IMG_20161227_175538 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161227_175530 (resized).jpg

#2171 3 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Unfortunately, yes...
Either it's a bad batch of boards, or the previous 1.05 code and under was stressing that node 8 beyond it's capacity.
I always go through every NIB I open with a fine tooth comb before the game even sees electricity and nothing was out of sorts when my node 8 went up.

Thanks Nimble

#2172 3 years ago
Quoted from omgitsadam:

Rob_G chucksmith Arcade trekkie1978 Check your plastics by the strobe... here is a video I made of what happened with mine: ยป YouTube video
Basically the plastic next to the strobe somehow cracked already (HUO, 4 weeks of use)... if I put slight pressure where the crack is with my finger and test a ball, it makes it to the right flipper. If I don't put my finger there, straight down the drain.
I have talked to Chris at Cointaker and he is going to talk to Stern about it. It's kinda bonkers so many of us have the same issue so I'd check that spot and verify if yours are cracked as well.
Thanks for the idea of setting the power to ~20 to drop it to the left flipper so I can still play while waiting for this to be remedied.

Mine is cracked. It cracked early on. I found it and called Stern and they sent me a new plastic. I have not installed it yet, but I don't see how a plastic can impact the ball feed unless you are changing the angle of the metal scoop. ** Mine also does not have the extended plastic over the scoop. That was added later. Earlier plastics were stubby so it does not flex on the curved part of the scoop.
This spot in the plastic is so thin, I can see how it would crack easily.
2016-11-14 15.43.38 (resized).jpg

#2173 3 years ago

chucksmith Does your scoop have as much play as mine does in the video? Or is yours tighter?

#2174 3 years ago
Quoted from omgitsadam:

chucksmith Does your scoop have as much play as mine does in the video? Or is yours tighter?

No.... As I recall it was rock solid. Almost looks like your screws are loose under the playfield. If mine was loose I would have checked the mounting screws/nuts. Makes me wonder if we could loosen , rotate it slightly (counter clockwise) toward the right flipper and lock it down.

#2175 3 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

No.... As I recall it was rock solid. Almost looks like your screws are loose under the playfield. If mine was loose I would have checked the mounting screws/nuts. Makes me wonder if we could loosen , rotate it slightly (counter clockwise) toward the right flipper and lock it down.

I've looked under the PF around the scoop and the screws seem fine. I don't even see how I can tighten them if I wanted to since it seems the top of the screw must be on top of the PF under the plastics.

#2176 3 years ago

I am going to work out a hardware fix for the reverse flipper scenario. I need an indicator to trigger the hardware - is there a lamp that lights when the flippers are in reverse? That will be the trigger. Any thoughts?

Too bad we don't have a software option to turn that off.

#2177 3 years ago
Quoted from omgitsadam:

I've looked under the PF around the scoop and the screws seem fine. I don't even see how I can tighten them if I wanted to since it seems the top of the screw must be on top of the PF under the plastics.

mmm... That metal kickout has to be tied down somehow. If you remove the plastic with the crack in it, can see any mounting then?
I would really expect to see bolts & nuts from the underside.
I had mine off a few weeks ago, but was not looking for this so sorry cant help with that. Also note: I do have a Premium,but this scoop "looks"to be the same on all models. ..,I think I need to lift the PF to see how its mounted.

#2178 3 years ago

guys - gettting air balls as it goes UP the big ramp on premium. This is diff than airballs due to targets next to the big ramp. Anyone have this too (the ball with sometimes go off the ramp and over)? Any suggestions?

#2179 3 years ago

Raise the back of the game, Lower the Coil setting Power on the flippers, Shim the rear of the ramp with washers, build and solve a ramp cover that no one has made yet.

#2180 3 years ago

Yup, raise levelers and turn down coils will solve all airballs off ramp. Game plays terrible on "normal" coil pulse setting.

Especially with that "rattley at speed" right loop shot.

#2181 3 years ago

I've never had an airball fly off the ramp. It really sounds like the game was not leveled.
Using the Stern bubble level as a common frame of reference we all have.
High bubble for me made the ramp a hard shot. Low Center bubble made more target air balls, but ramp was easier.
Middle bubble actually works the best for me.
But I played for a long time with the bubble high-center.
Remember to level PF left to right . Use a common level that fits on the playfield not the glass. use the artwork as a line reference.
Of course turn down coil-power.

#2182 3 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Mine is cracked. It cracked early on. I found it and called Stern and they sent me a new plastic. I have not installed it yet, but I don't see how a plastic can impact the ball feed unless you are changing the angle of the metal scoop. ** Mine also does not have the extended plastic over the scoop. That was added later. Earlier plastics were stubby so it does not flex on the curved part of the scoop.
This spot in the plastic is so thin, I can see how it would crack easily.

My plastic was like this brand new out of the box with my mid November Prem build. I have at least 1/4" of space between and plastic. Does your scoop have a rib welded on the back underneath the plastic to keep it from bending up?

#2183 3 years ago

There are some spot welds in the scoop that may have let go.

#2184 3 years ago

My scoop already broke. Screws are from the top under the plastic. They use two tiny Allen head bolts

#2185 3 years ago

Mine had issues as well, and Im not fond of the anchor points through the playfield.

With so much movement of the VUK kicking out, Im surprised there are not more Anchor points.
id love to see Point 1 really Solid, and the back two adjustable in a small arc, with an effective track and thumb screws.

It would take anyone 5 minutes to adjust the scoop to their choice, and with markings share this setting with others.

All problems, and future problems of service would be solved.

I wish they would start thinking this way with many aspects.

Making the game more user friendly for adjustments and service.

#2186 3 years ago

Can someone direct me to where I can get rubber post sleeves. I refuse to pay the $8.30 shipping on Pinball Life for an $0.80 sleeve. I want to cut it down and install them on the out lanes like others have. Thank you!

#2187 3 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

Can someone direct me to where I can get rubber post sleeves. I refuse to pay the $8.30 shipping on Pinball Life for an $0.80 sleeve. I want to cut it down and install them on the out lanes like others have. Thank you!

https://www.titanpinball.com
This is probably the best you can hope for on shipping . I received a complete set of rings for ghostbusters + more parts, $4 shipping

#2188 3 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

My plastic was like this brand new out of the box with my mid November Prem build. I have at least 1/4" of space between and plastic. Does your scoop have a rib welded on the back underneath the plastic to keep it from bending up?

As I recall yes. I should have taken photos of it when it was off.

#2189 3 years ago

Newb question, how do you adjust flipper power in GB? I don't see anything obvious in the settings

#2190 3 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

https://www.titanpinball.com
This is probably the best you can hope for on shipping . I received a complete set of rings for ghostbusters + more parts, $4 shipping

Thank you Chuck! Do you know if that would be the standard size post sleeve? My guess would be yes.

#2191 3 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

Thank you Chuck! Do you know if that would be the standard size post sleeve? My guess would be yes.

Not sure. I see Titan has "stern post sleeve so I would ordered that. I would probably order 2 of each sleeve since the parts would only be a couple of bucks.

#2192 3 years ago
Quoted from omgitsadam:

Newb question, how do you adjust flipper power in GB? I don't see anything obvious in the settings

STANDARD ADJUSTMENTS
43 COIL PULSE POWER = (normal or soft)

TIP:
If you are looking for a setting
Open the link below, run a search on a key word. PDF's are searchable.
All adjustments are listed in the manual.
Granted new adjustments may not be there and old ones removed wont be there.

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/ghostbusters/le/Ghostbusters_LE_web.pdf

#2193 3 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

STANDARD ADJUSTMENTS
43 COIL PULSE POWER = (normal or soft)
TIP:
If you are looking for a setting
Open the link below, run a search on a key word. PDF's are searchable.
All adjustments are listed in the manual.
Granted new adjustments may not be there and old ones removed wont be there.
http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/ghostbusters/le/Ghostbusters_LE_web.pdf

Thanks for that, I did end up finding that setting and I set it lower but I honestly couldn't even tell a difference. Still seems to be firing the balls of the flipper quite hard. Oh well!

#2194 3 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Getting a bunch of metal flakes on the playfield. Looks like it's from the bent metal that holds the captive ball on the left.

Check your spot lights. Guaranteed that's where it's coming from. The plastic chrome on my right one flaked off slightly.

#2195 3 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

Check your spot lights. Guaranteed that's where it's coming from. The plastic chrome on my right one flaked off slightly.

Then buy Mezel Mods spotlight covers to pretty up the chipped flaked spot lights or get some new spot light covers from pinball life.
https://mezelmods.com/collections/ghostbusters-pinball-mods
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=295

#2196 3 years ago

My Slimer has metal protruding out from underneath. Is this a problem that needs to be addressed? Does slimer bottom ever touch playfield?

20161228_210749 (resized).jpg

#2197 3 years ago

Just sharing my experience with installing a Playfield Protector on GB premium. Game is New, never even powered up yet. Bought protector from Mirco in Germany.
I was surprised at how much had to be removed from the playfield. Pics below. I did have one issue. The protector was made without the scoops cut for the cliffy protectors that Stern installed at factory. Mirco told me to just let clear protector lay over the 2 metal scoop protectors. I didn't like that idea, so I measured and cut out for them. Pics below.
Any suggestions of adjustments or add ons that should be done before I put playfield back together? Thanks

20161219_173642 (resized).jpg

20161219_171827 (resized).jpg

#2198 3 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

My Slimer has metal protruding out from underneath. Is this a problem that needs to be addressed? Does slimer bottom ever touch playfield?

Yes, that should be trimmed down.

Before you do, make sure you have enough material left soldered.

At the beginning of this thread, somewhere, and repeated a bunch, are pics, how to do, how to raise, using grub screw...

Someone might have the specific post #....

#2199 3 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

Does slimer ever touch playfield? This is a premium from Mid November.

#2200 3 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

Does slimer ever touch playfield? This is a premium from Mid November.

Slimer's bottom should not touch anything. If it is then it needs to be adjusted.
As an illustration, imagine the ball trying to pass under slimer. The ball can pass under slimer but it has to move slimer a lot to it.
If you have control over it, I would make slimer's bottom 1/2 ball height off the playfield.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 4465 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 90.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside