main-qimg-70f0cc5a9d7263efec90c4b221738a5b (resized).jpg
IMG_4729 (resized).jpg
IMG_4732 (resized).JPG
IMG_4731 (resized).JPG
SwitchStatus (resized).jpg
TroughSwStatus (resized).JPG
screen-capture-1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,531 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 91.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I find it odd that there are flipper issues. I would think Stern would have those kind of things bullet proof by now.

There have only been four other SPIKE System titles so far. I don't recall any issues with them with the flippers.

Some of these things may not show up until they hit the street.

And I'm sure Stern is aware of it and will do something about it.

LTG : )

#102 7 years ago

Do you cool dudes think you can just focus on the gameplay issues and less on how KPG isn't part of the club?

#103 7 years ago

deerpopcorn.gifdeerpopcorn.gif

#104 7 years ago

Captive ball gets hung up when playing yesterday. Also, in lane ball guides are too short. The ball has jumped over these several time while i was playing. Also just like the Walking dead, when the ball is coming from the pop bumpers if it does not hit the wire form, it will drain every damn time.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it would be more like. your fan for your heat and A/C goes in and out. WHich has happened in new cars.
If you forgot to install a mirror, would be like if slimer was completely missing. Then that's a major fuckup. that's a different story. but if your defrost on your mirror doesn't work. Only the cold states would ever notice and when it's winter time.

I disagree. Slimer is right there. He's a major component, and everyone seems to be complaining that he doesn't work. So, yeah, alright, the rear-view is there, but we put warped mirrors in it and it doesn't work the way it's supposed to. It's a major component that doesn't work the way it should, and no one would think it was acceptable. You're being literal in an effort to ignore the issue.

It's ridiculous that stuff like this, and unfinished code, etc are acceptable to people. I have a lot of hobbies, and there isn't a single one where stuff like this is acceptable.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

I disagree. Slimer is right there. He's a major component, and everyone seems to be complaining that he doesn't work. So, yeah, alright, the rear-view is there, but we put warped mirrors in it and it doesn't work the way it's supposed to. It's a major component that doesn't work the way it should, and no one would think it was acceptable. You're being literal in an effort to ignore the issue.
It's ridiculous that stuff like this, and unfinished code, etc are acceptable to people. I have a lot of hobbies, and there isn't a single one where stuff like this is acceptable.

I agree 100%

#107 7 years ago

Subscribed. Hopefully mine is one of the lucky ones that works 100% out of the box.

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

I disagree. Slimer is right there. He's a major component, and everyone seems to be complaining that he doesn't work.

Only if you think the 5 people who have posted about it are the only games that have been delivered.

Mine has worked fine from day 1.

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Also just like the Walking dead, when the ball is coming from the pop bumpers if it does not hit the wire form, it will drain every damn time.

Wire form? Where?

#110 7 years ago

Had another issue creep up not a big deal. When shooting the train ramp the ball would not feed correctly to the end of the ramp. Instead it would smack into the corner of the lower ramp and exit via the containment hole. The bracket for the mini-divertor moved causing the stainless steel flap to protrude slightly. Bent the stainless flap back to flush and it resolved the issue.

#112 7 years ago

I played my first games tonight at the Pinball Lounge!
What a Blast!

Brutal, fast, tons to do, and a great music score!
What a loaded pin for a Pro!

No issues with slimer, no issues with balls jumping over lanes.

Kurt and Ed installed a Post save in the middle....helps a lot!

For the low level wire out lanes...the post/rubber adjustment helps, but I am likely going to try the smallest of a clear tube to try and add to the lane guide, just to get some more bounce, and fix any possibility of the ball jumping.

For a new game, likely some of the best first release code Ive seen...
We had something happen that awarded many events and multiball, and the light show, music was over the top!

A great challenge, at the same time being Fun!

Feels like a Classic winner to me!

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Also, in lane ball guides are too short. The ball has jumped over these several time while i was playing.

I know it has been said already in the "main" thread and in the review thread, but holy crap this^^^

I understand if they were trying to save on plastic I guess(?) but having them be so short is absurd. Got in around 20 games tonight and this was far and away the most frustrating part. The game is already brutally difficult as it is without getting scummed on a moderately fast ball hopping right over the guide. Really fun game aside from a few one-hoppers

What is the easiest way to mod this that doesn't look like total crap?

#114 7 years ago

Indeed, I am also getting a lot of balls hopping over the ball guides. Modifying this might be tough. I don't get that they couldn't make them even 1/4" higher. That alone would make the difference I think. And yes, a lot of drains SDTM out of the pops, both from the middle and out of the right orbit if it misses the gate. A few here and there is OK, but I think there's a few too many.

I'm also getting a LOT of air balls off the left ramp targets, the ball often trickles down on the far left plastic. Haven't had an outlane drain from it yet though.

These issues are far more annoying than Slimer, as he is a very quick fix in comparison. I'd rather not have my customers donkey kick their foot through the coin door because of minor design issues that drain the ball when really, it shouldn't. Or at least not as frequent.

I should also mention that the flippers are just too low and need to be adjusted out of the box. At least mine were. Cradling and bounce passes are much too difficult in this configuration, and I have since levelled them up to the ball guides.

Perhaps this is a software related issue, but the right orbit switch doesn't always register. I've tested it 30+ times in the switch matrix, from rolling it slow to very fast. The switch registers every time. Not sure what's up there. I find the left ramp diverter to do funny things at times, as I feel it diverts the ball into the right saucer kickout when it should not. Then it awards you the saucer shot as if you shot it. I also notice it will award the left ramp shot IF you hit the right ramp so the ball rolls all the way up to the one way gate and back down. I'm sure Stern is aware of this, or perhaps was discussed in another thread.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

lol....epic fail.

#116 7 years ago

Omaha Nebraska, Big Johns Billiards. Pro last night played great. Although Ball guide wire on side of captive ball bent and held the captive ball just like others said. Looks like Stern needs to reinforce the wire or figure something out. That guide gets slammed.
magicchiz

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

Omaha Nebraska, Big Johns Billiards. Pro last night played great. Although Ball guide wire on side of captive ball bent and held the captive ball just like others said. Looks like Stern needs to reinforce the wire or figure something out. That guide gets slammed.
magicchiz

So is this a shipping issue as others mentioned, or a possible design flaw? Are we going to be asked to bend this ball wire guide periodically? Another thing I'm surprised that wasn't caught during the testing process.

#118 7 years ago

#119 7 years ago

Wow.....people are funny (in an annoying way). Welcome to pinball.

Most NIB's work just fine right from the get go......many don't. First thing I do with a new game is play it If there is something wrong I fix it. If I can't fix it I visit Pinside to see if there is an easy fix. If I know Pinside can't help I call the manufacturer and so far they have always responded.

It's pinball....shit will break or be out of spec just from shipping.....fix it, play it. If it's a software issue, well I guess you get to wait (or could have waited before purchasing).

It's pinball....shit will break even if it was 100% right out of the box.....learn to fix it.

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It's pinball....shit will break even if it was 100% right out of the box.....learn to fix it.

Clean precise thinking ... Forgot to add stop "the whining"

#121 7 years ago

Definitely the bent ball guide locally. I think.our OP ought to put the outline posts in the "easy" position, and loosen up the tilt a bit. As is, I don't think a casual player will keep feeding cash into it. Me, I'm about to drop yet another five spot. Dammit.

20160501_153631_(resized).jpg20160501_153631_(resized).jpg

#123 7 years ago

wow...

Guess Stern should look into installing thicker ball rails.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

wow...

Or put a third leg on it in the middle. Haha.

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I wouldn't blame the workers on the shop floor. Most are likely minimum wage temps who've had an absolute bare minimum of training. It isn't their fault. Management and people higher up the payroll absolutely are to blame, and the incorrect wiring position is really shitty.

I notice that two of the downvotes I received for this post were from accounts registered on the date they made the downvotes, and which have been immediately blocked / suspended. Kaneda's really blowing through those alts ...

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I notice that two of the downvotes I received for this post were from accounts registered on the date they made the downvotes, and which have been immediately blocked / suspended. Kaneda's really blowing through those alts ...

No worries, I've embraced downvotes from the cool club here on Pinside. If you say something one guy doesn't like, and are downvoted- then everyone sees it as fair game and starts piling on. Subsequently, if some well-known guy posts and gets upvoted, then they all gang up like groupies and upvote everything that person has to say. It's all good.. its like the 6th grade over here

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

wow...

Shh.. don't say that, let the cool guys come in here and tell you it is a shipping problem, or since its pinball that is an acceptable flaw.

#128 7 years ago

actually, the downvotes is what gets you in the cool kid club. The more you get the better.

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I find it odd that there are flipper issues. I would think Stern would have those kind of things bullet proof by now.

It has not been bulletproof though, which was evident by the node 8 failures on GoT. Node 8 is lower flippers. They also should fix the GI flicker while they are at it. This isn't 1980 anymore....

Rob

#130 7 years ago

Stopped by Pinball Jones, played a few games, and caught a pair of Ghost Busters playing the machine:

A few of my observations after playing some games:

The drain guard rails are way too low (balls jumped over on me a few times) and it seems the playfield automatically drains the ball dead center repeatedly - almost as if it were funneled to slip down the centerline. Average play time for each ball is probably 20 seconds.

The left and right sling shots are almost parallel to each other; this presents a major problem as far as I can see. They need to be more angled, but the PF layout doesn't allow it. This game is a shoe-in candidate for a wide-body box, which would put those sling shots in a better perspective.

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Shh.. don't say that, let the cool guys come in here and tell you it is a shipping problem, or since its pinball that is an acceptable flaw.

I am new to pinball, much like yourself, but one thing has become clear real quick. There are those who tinker, live and breath pinball, and then there are those who do it by credit card. I prefer the tinkerers.

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Average play time for each ball is probably 20 seconds.

Awesome! Like playing an EM

#133 7 years ago

We had an issue with one of the 2 we had. The left Outland switches were all wired wrong. Easy fix but caused weird ball save issues.

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from LarryMac:

Definitely the bent ball guide locally. I think.our OP ought to put the outline posts in the "easy" position, and loosen up the tilt a bit. As is, I don't think a casual player will keep feeding cash into it. Me, I'm about to drop yet another five spot. Dammit.

20160501_153631_(resized).jpg

Perhaps another reason to consider dialing back the flipper strength a bit.

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Got in around 20 games tonight and this was far and away the most frustrating part. The game is already brutally difficult as it is without getting scummed on a moderately fast ball hopping right over the guide. Really fun game aside from a few one-hoppers
What is the easiest way to mod this that doesn't look like total crap?

My one complaint also is the balls jumping the inlane rails and ending the ball.

Seems like if the rails were slightly higher it would help... but doubt that is going to change and it could introduce other issues...
What about something that is an aftermarket add-on using readily available screws... something like the below?
GB-InlaneToOutlaneFix_(resized).pngGB-InlaneToOutlaneFix_(resized).png

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

I am new to pinball, much like yourself, but one thing has become clear real quick. There are those who tinker, live and breath pinball, and then there are those who do it by credit card. I prefer the tinkerers.

Considering I've repaired and installed every single mod or part on my machine myself, I'm not understanding your point. I just want a 100% working machine when paying $8,000 cash, not credit card, for a new in box machine that doesn't take 3 weeks to get parts from Stern to be playable (like what happened with NIB MET) or have apparent design flaws I must find ways to compensate for.

Is that too much to ask or hard to accept?

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from Major-Havoc:

We had an issue with one of the 2 we had. The left Outland switches were all wired wrong. Easy fix but caused weird ball save issues.

.... You sure the wiring issues werent caused during shipping like some people suggested in this thread

#139 7 years ago

The rail jumps we had seemed to come at an angle and be at the impact with the immediate front of the wire guide.
Is this how others are seeing?

How about a clear rubber dot?
or a quick dot off a glue gun?

Should be enough to stop the ball from becoming air borne.

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The rail jumps we had seemed to come at an angle and be at the impact with the immediate front of the wire guide.
Is this how others are seeing?
How about a clear rubber dot?
or a quick dot off a glue gun?
Should be enough to stop the ball from becoming air borne.

All perfectly fine questions that should have been asked by the design and testing team at Stern.

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

There have only been four other SPIKE System titles so far. I don't recall any issues with them with the flippers.
LTG : )

I think GOT LE had issues with flipper strength from the dragon kickback. Fixed with an update I believe.

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Considering I've repaired and installed every single mod or part on my machine myself, I'm not understanding your point. I just want a 100% working machine when paying $8,000 cash, not credit card, for a new in box machine that doesn't take 3 weeks to get parts from Stern to be playable (like what happened with NIB MET) or have apparent design flaws I must find ways to compensate for.
Is that too much to ask or hard to accept?

It's statistics. Jeez. In like ten NIB sterns I've bought, the only problem I've ever had is a Spike node board blowing somewhat prematurely, but even that was months after getting it. Do I post every day saying, "hey guys, another problem free day. Another NIB opened that works fine." ? Of course not. Nobody does. Only the problems get posted. So it may look to some like the problems are everywhere, because it's just not balanced reporting and never will be.

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I played my first games tonight at the Pinball Lounge!
No issues with slimer, no issues with balls jumping over lanes.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

You appear to be confused, sir. Has to be one or the other. But I played on that table and it was guide jumps all day so I will go with the latter.

Center post is awful but it did help with the balls out of the left side of the pops when you could not nudge it into the guide. I can't imagine requesting someone drill a hole in a brand new playfield like that

That wire solution picture makes me want to cry.

#144 7 years ago

No confusion. "I" had no issues.....I didnt consider one time on a bunch of games, an "issue".
"We" had jumps, refers collectively to the guys I was playing with, and then in conversation later
that evening with others who went to the open house. I was referring with "we" to mean collectively my friends. Collectively "we" had issues.

Taken out of context, with assumptions, perhaps confused you.

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

My one complaint also is the balls jumping the inlane rails and ending the ball.
Seems like if the rails were slightly higher it would help... but doubt that is going to change and it could introduce other issues...
What about something that is an aftermarket add-on using readily available screws... something like the below?
GB-InlaneToOutlaneFix_(resized).png

Good suggestion, but I would think a plastic solution might be easier.

On the left side I have (poorly) drawn out a plastic shape that could be made. This could be mounted using 2 male / female hex post that would be included with the plastics and put on the existing posts that are holding the purple and blue plastic. So just imagine that shape of clear plastic mounted 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" or more above the standard ball guide. I don't really know how high you would want it, but experimenting and swapping out hex post would be easy enough until you figured out the best height mounting posts.

The plastic being shaped this way would be narrow and extended up from the mounting area a bit, but I would think if plastic protector grade plastic were used it would be stiff and sturdy enough to stay up and also strong enough to not break. The plastic would also NOT need to only be wire width thick at the top. If it needs to be wider for durability purposes....it could always be made wider (going a bit over the outlane). It is clear plastic so it shouldn't obstruct the view even if the plastic stayed the same width all the way up.

If need be, the plastic could also extend up and mount above the outlane entrance (as the wire idea was drawn) if you could get the height of the upper mounting point (on the star post I'm guessing) to line up with the plastic mounting height. A person would probably want to look into the PRO and Premium differences, but I would think a single type plastic could be cut to accommodate both. From the pictures I have seen they look identical as far as this goes.

I'm also not sure what area folks are getting the hopping...so maybe the plastic wouldn't even need to go up to the tip of the wire guides. Maybe just a little up past the wire curve would do???

PS: If anyone makes these...I want a free set.

ball_bounce_blocker_(resized).jpgball_bounce_blocker_(resized).jpg

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Oh,boy,i hope they fix this stuff before they ship the Pre out!!I'm not a tech guy,and some of this stuff is over my head!

Yeah I'm getting a little concerned as well. I'm not good at working under the hood of these machines and don't want to start tearing mine apart to figure out how to fix it For those that don't know how and/or are not comfortable attempting to self fix these things, what are our options? Does Stern have authorized techs in various cities, or is it up to the buyer to fix issues themselves? This will be my first new pin, I thought they just worked since they were new but it sounds like the buyer is expected to have some experience repairing pinball machines. I guess I'd be comfortable experimenting and learning on a $1000 machine, but not so much on a $7500 machine.

#147 7 years ago

i pull metal wire rails like this at least 4 times a month. Usually there are spot on the underside of the playfield where you can see the wire peeking through. all you have to do, is take an AWL and a hammer and pound out the wire guides from the back. Raise them up to where you like. That's all there is to it.

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i pull metal wire rails like this at least 4 times a month. Usually there are spot on the underside of the playfield where you can see the wire peeking through. all you have to do, is take an AWL and a hammer and pound out the wire guides from the back. Raise them up to where you like. That's all there is to it.

Exactly

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

.... You sure the wiring issues werent caused during shipping like some people suggested in this thread

Yes wires unsolder themselves and move loocations and re solder themselves in shipping all the time.

#150 7 years ago

They will most likely correct the low outlane guides in production eventually if it proves to be too big an issue. I played a few games today and the ball didn't jump the lane guide once, but they are very low and I could see it happening. Maybe they'll replace it with a Metallica style rail which is at least twice as high as the BG ones:

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,531 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 91.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-issue-thread/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.