Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Strummy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

t3.gif
    and-like-that-hes-gone-the-usual-suspects.gif
    227F7C7D-25E2-490D-84D9-0E0F5F1DC3F6 (resized).png

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

We should start a forum where we call out Pinsiders for asking a million questions about a machine, agree to buy it, then ghost the seller. It would save sellers a lot of wasted time. I have a name to start the list.

#3 1 year ago

BzarrCaptain asked me a million questions and than ghosted me. No questions were related to pinball and there was no agreement to buy a machine.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

BzarrCaptain asked me a million questions and than ghosted me. No questions were related to pinball and there was no agreement to buy a machine.

I have no idea what your talking about

#5 1 year ago

I'm not gonna start naming names unless the Pinside community thinks it's a good forum to start.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from BZarrCaptain:

I'm not gonna start naming names unless the Pinside community thinks it's a good forum to start.

I think thread is the term you're looking for and i think it's a great place to start.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I think thread is the term you're looking for and i think it's a great place to start.

Thread/forum.....I'm just a knucklehead from PA. LOL I wouldn't know how to start one other than what I just did here.

#8 1 year ago

I don’t think a thread dedicated to calling people out is necessary unless they’re scammers taking people’s money, or knowingly misrepresenting their games

A little wasted time is to be expected when selling here

#9 1 year ago

Tire kicking is annoying but it's what you have to deal with as a seller

#10 1 year ago

Neither do I, it was a joke.

I have no idea what your talking about

#11 1 year ago

We should start a forum where we call out Pinsiders for asking a million questions about a machine, agree to buy it, then ghost the seller. It would save sellers a lot of wasted time. I have a name to start the list.

Ha! Pinside is nothing. Try selling something on Facebook Marketplace!

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

Neither do I, it was a joke.

Well done!

#13 1 year ago

Thread/forum.....I'm just a knucklehead from PA. LOL I wouldn't know how to start one other than what I just did here.

Firstly, as a 1-year I think it’s funny you’re already complaining. Tire-kickers are part of the community. I’ve worked retail and specialty sales, even million-dollar contracts do that shit.

Been guilty of it before, and I’ve had plenty of well-known pinsiders GHOST ME on a deal after settling everything once I ask for their payment info.

It’s annoying as hell, but whatever, maybe they got cold feet, or took a better offer? I don’t give a shit! It happens, bums ya out, but then keep looking! Nothing is guaranteed till it’s in someone’s vehicle.

#14 1 year ago

Isn’t that part of sales? Happens all the time. If you don’t like all the questions, wholesale your game to a retail outlet and let them deal with the tire kickers. But, don’t expect to complain about tire kickers as an individual and try and get something close to retail for a game.
    I bet you lost your game for 75 percent of retail and you will have 10 people climbing over themselves with cash to take your game no questions asked.

That’s how sales works

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Firstly, as a 1-year I think it’s funny you’re already complaining. Tire-kickers are part of the community. I’ve worked retail and specialty sales, even million-dollar contracts do that shit.
    Been guilty of it before, and I’ve had plenty of well-known pinsiders GHOST ME on a deal after settling everything once I ask for their payment info.
    It’s annoying as hell, but whatever, maybe they got cold feet, or took a better offer? I don’t give a shit! It happens, bums ya out, but then keep looking! Nothing is guaranteed till it’s in someone’s vehicle.

Why does it matter how long I’ve been on Pinside? You have no idea how long I’ve been in the hobby. Besides what does it matter, if the buyer ghosts me after one day as a member, I can try to prevent others from wasting their time.

#16 1 year ago

In my case I did a trade with a Pinsider and mentioned my collection at the time and that I had a Met Premium.

Once the trade was complete he complained (10 days later) that something wasn’t functioning on his machine, but asked if I would sell him the Met. I told him it was too precious to me.

I needed to reseat a ton of stuff on the machine I got from him to get it up and running and suggested he do the same.

He responded that the machine was working and that it was just something loose.

He continued to ask about the Met for days and kept increasing his offer until I finally considered it. ( My job was eliminated so it makes sense at this time)

We went back and forth for weeks with questions, pictures, negotiations.
    We finally settled in a price and a date and the he stopped corresponding.

I started this thread and he popped up and reconfirmed the date and price and asked for more pictures. Like an idiot I sent him even more and bought into his excuses.
    Needless to say, he’s supposed to be here today and has vanished

I caution all Pinsiders who are considering doing business with

Jc7067

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/jc7067

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from athens95:

Isn’t that part of sales? Happens all the time. If you don’t like all the questions, wholesale your game to a retail outlet and let them deal with the tire kickers. But, don’t expect to complain about tire kickers as an individual and try and get something close to retail for a game.
    I bet you lost your game for 75 percent of retail and you will have 10 people climbing over themselves with cash to take your game no questions asked.
    That’s how sales works

Maybe it’s part of sales, but it still doesn’t make it right to waste a ton of someone’s time when you have no intention to buy, does it?

#18 1 year ago

Cry me a river.

#19 1 year ago

Questions are one thing, but agreeing to buy and ghosting isn’t right. I just ignore them going forward. In the hobby for fun and want to deal with friendly, respectful people.

#20 1 year ago

I only sell pins on pinside, never had a problem. Mostly great people here, contrary to what one may read in some of the pinside threads.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Questions are one thing, but agreeing to buy and ghosting isn’t right. I just ignore them going forward. In the hobby for fun and want to deal with friendly, respectful people.

I agree and I'm moving on.
    Funny thing is the minute I posted this he reached out again with another lame excuse. He doesn't respond to messages but reacted to this.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I only sell pins on pinside, never had a problem. Mostly great people here, contrary to what one may read in some of the pinside threads.

This is the first issue like this I've had. I can usually tell when someone isn't serious, but this guy kept increasing his offer and wouldn't let up so I really thought he wanted the nicest Met Premium he'd ever seen.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Cry me a river.

Thanks for the contribution to the topic. Much appreciated.

#24 1 year ago

Why does it matter how long I’ve been on Pinside? You have no idea how long I’ve been in the hobby. Besides what does it matter, if the buyer ghosts me after one day as a member, I can try to prevent others from wasting their time.

How else are you going to establish credibility? And you link another 1 year profile with no activity. This is precisely why, more time and activity on Pinside adds legitimacy, unless you have references of well known people to vouch for you.

Most people wouldn’t buy expensive items from the website that was setup last week, but they buy from Amazon and eBay because those sites have established trust and reputation.
    Are you new to the concept of selling, or just being difficult on purpose?

It’s unfortunate you had so much trouble selling, but you’re being melodramatic. Learn how to read the signs when someone isn’t serious and move on. One of my grail games came from some flakey buyer who I had to pester for 3 years on and off with their horrible response times and non-answers. To them it was some broke piece of junk, but I scored a very cool machine, because I put in the work to secure it.

#25 1 year ago

In my case I did a trade with a Pinsider and mentioned my collection at the time and that I had a Met Premium.
    Once the trade was complete he complained (10 days later) that something wasn’t functioning on his machine, but asked if I would sell him the Met. I told him it was too precious to me.
    I needed to reseat a ton of stuff on the machine I got from him to get it up and running and suggested he do the same.
    He continued to ask about the Met for days and kept increasing his offer until I finally considered it. ( My job was eliminated so it makes sense at this time)
    I started this thread and he popped up and reconfirmed the date and price and asked for more pictures. Like an idiot I sent him even more and bought into his excuses.
    Jc7067

Haha oh yeah, that guy. He was planned to pickup a game from me once and then just didn’t show or say anything. You just kinda know who to ignore messages from and move on. It definitely is frustrating though.

#26 1 year ago

Had a well know guy in the Pinside community beg me to hold a game. I did with no deposit. We talked for like a week up untill an hour from when he was supposed to pick it up. Then he backed out. Even though I was told to get a deposit by others, I am stubborn and needed to find out for myself. Pissed me off but now I get some sort of deposit to hold a game.

#27 1 year ago

Sorely disappointed how little this thread has to do with the 'Ghost Realtor' segment Nathan For You did.

227F7C7D-25E2-490D-84D9-0E0F5F1DC3F6 (resized).png227F7C7D-25E2-490D-84D9-0E0F5F1DC3F6 (resized).png
    #28 1 year ago
    Quoted from theadicts77:

Sorely disappointed how little this thread has to do with the 'Ghost Realtor' segment Nathan For You did.[quoted image]

Haha that show is the best!

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

Haha oh yeah, that guy. He was planned to pickup a game from me once and then just didn’t show or say anything. You just kinda know who to ignore messages from and move on. It definitely is frustrating though.

Not sure why any adult would behave like this. Low self esteem comes to mind.

#30 1 year ago

Ghosting is a part of our culture! Look at the workplace this day and age, people vanish without a trace.

This is the 2020’s, so don’t expect things like respect, honor, or integrity. Those things went out the window years ago.

Best way to sell has always been in person. If someone is serious and really interested they’ll make the trip to you, therefore you’re not wasting a lot of your own time.

#31 1 year ago

Maybe it’s part of sales, but it still doesn’t make it right to waste a ton of someone’s time when you have no intention to buy, does it?

Nice to have first world problems.

#32 1 year ago

Jc7067

Actually I've had conversations with that profile and heard of others with the same issue

#33 1 year ago

It happened to me with my beautiful Pinball Magic I have up for sale now. Had a deal worked out after answering multiple questions and then got the vanishing act when I asked for payment. I'm just glad it didn't cost me a deal with someone else, which could very well happen.

I think sometimes people mean well and are all excited and then after a deal is agreed to, they start think about the money and get nervous and are embarrassed to let the Selle know. OR, maybe they agree to a deal and then tell their significant other and that ends the deal. Again, they feel embarrassed and just vanish.

My advice, if you decide not to buy a machine you agreed upon with someone, that's fine. Stuff happens. People change minds and that's okay. Just have the courtesy to let the seller know. Mho anyway.

#34 1 year ago

When people pull that shit with me they are blacklisted!

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

I'm just glad it didn't cost me a deal with someone else, which could very well happen.

I lost a few deals because of it. It was an MMr so it sold but I try to sell by contacting people in the order that they contact me.

Quoted from HoneyBadger:

When people pull that shit with me they are blacklisted!

He is!

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Had a well know guy in the Pinside community beg me to hold a game. I did with no deposit. We talked for like a week up untill an hour from when he was supposed to pick it up. Then he backed out. Even though I was told to get a deposit by others, I am stubborn and needed to find out for myself. Pissed me off but now I get some sort of deposit to hold a game.

My very first Pinside purchasing experience started with me reluctantly putting a deposit down for a TZ about 4 hours from me (cash on the glass!) The seller called me the night before I was to leave at 4am to pick it up, and gave me the “wife won’t let me”. Found out years later he had sold it for a higher profit. So this works (poorly?!) both ways.

#37 1 year ago

I posted in this thread. Now I'm ghosting it.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The seller called me the night before I was to leave at 4am to pick it up, and gave me the “wife won’t let me”. Found out years later he had sold it for a higher profit

Oh yeah. Those douchebags too

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Oh yeah. Those douchebags too

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

the “wife won’t let me”.

....said no pinball wife, ever.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from finman2000:

....said no pinball wife, ever.

LOL and even in my inexperience at the time, I knew this was BS!

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

LOL and even in my inexperience at the time, I knew this was BS!

I've heard it referred to as "spousal interference"

#44 1 year ago
    and-like-that-hes-gone-the-usual-suspects.gifand-like-that-hes-gone-the-usual-suspects.gif
    #45 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbl1116:

Actually I've had conversations with that profile and heard of others with the same issue

Here's the latest
    Jc7067 resurfaced and said he really wants the game and was busy and apologized, and told me he would be here today at 10AM today for it.
    I told him I did not want to do business with him but he persisted so I agreed to sell him the machine with a $500 deposit and gave him 48 hours to pick it up.
    He then claimed he had a dentist appt at 9:30 and wanted to come at 1:00 or 4:00 so I agreed and rescheduled my day.
    Then - today - the day he's supposed to pick it up, he claims he was only buying it for a friend and the friend changed his mind, but that he would like to buy a JP I have for sale "if the price is right"
    I told him the price is my asking price less his $500 deposit and he balked.
    After weeks of negotiating he tells me he's buying it for a friend? Bullshit.
    I don't feel as if I'm responsible to refund his deposit and that the only way he'll get it back is if it's applied to the JP for sale.
    His "friend" should refund the deposit if he changed his mind at the last minute.
    Am I out of line?

#46 1 year ago

Here's the latest
    Jc7067 resurfaced and said he really wants the game and was busy and apologized, and told me he would be here today at 10AM today for it.
    I told him I did not want to do business with him but he persisted so I agreed to sell him the machine with a $500 deposit and gave him 48 hours to pick it up.
    He then claimed he had a dentist appt at 9:30 and wanted to come at 1:00 or 4:00 so I agreed and rescheduled my day.
    Then - today - the day he's supposed to pick it up, he claims he was only buying it for a friend and the friend changed his mind, but that he would like to buy a JP I have for sale "if the price is right"
    I told him the price is my asking price less his $500 deposit and he balked.
    After weeks of negotiating he tells me he's buying it for a friend? Bullshit.
    I don't feel as if I'm responsible to refund his deposit and that the only way he'll get it back is if it's applied to the JP for sale.
    His "friend" should refund the deposit if he changed his mind at the last minute.
    Am I out of line?

You're not out of line necessarily, but don't take $500 from someone for a little wasted time. Refund it, block him/ignore/whatever and move on. Just my two cents.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbl1116:

You're not out of line necessarily, but don't take $500 from someone for a little wasted time. Refund it, block him/ignore/whatever and move on.

Disagree, deposits are not fully refundable by default. In this case OP specifically asked for one because the buyer had already wasted a bunch of his time. No dishonor in keeping the $500 under the circumstances unless you agreed that unexpected dental bills or newfound friends were legitimate reason to break the deal.

Of course best practice is to tell the buyer up-front that the deposit is the non-refundable price to hold the game for them them for 7 days or whatever, good only toward the full purchase price of the game in question, and exceptions only if the description or pictures were materially false or misleading.

#48 1 year ago

This is a great example of why you never accommodate time-wasters or no show flakes. If someone wants something, they don't make excuses - they make arrangements on when to be there to pick it up and it's not exclusive to pinball. I always recommend talking to the person on the phone before agreeing as well, you can typically tell right away if they are serious or not. If they don't want to talk, easy way to weed them out.

Consider yourself lucky - if he did pick up the game, imagine all the bs that would come after...

***Some Classics***
    _____ doesn't work any more (yeah I dropped it down the stairs but I won't mention that part)
    I'm having buyers remorse, I'd like to return this
    My wife ______

There is a disease I've noticed over the years, these people want to "pretend" they are going to buy something - usually they are drunk when reaching out. Once they sober up, all the excuses come out at best or they ghost you at worst. Imagine how they function in real life where accountability is required.

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Disagree, deposits are not fully refundable by default. In this case OP specifically asked for one because the buyer had already wasted a bunch of his time. No dishonor in keeping the $500 under the circumstances unless you agreed that unexpected dental bills or newfound friends were legitimate reason to break the deal.
    Of course best practice is to tell the buyer up-front that the deposit is the non-refundable price to hold the game for them them for 7 days or whatever, good only toward the full purchase price of the game in question, and exceptions only if the description or pictures were materially false or misleading.

I understand the use of deposits when running a business, and where the deposit agreement is in written form. But I just wouldn't do it for personal sales/trades for a variety of reasons, with this situation being near top of the list.

Again, I know everyone's experiences will differ and I don't think there's an objectively right or wrong answer

#50 1 year ago

I'd split the difference. Give half the deposit back.

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghost-buyers/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.