(Topic ID: 45766)

"Getting Women and Kids interested" ???

By navajas

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Oonacat-boots-sm.jpg
    libby-kathryn.jpg
    aksels-5th2.jpg
    aksels-5th.jpg
    tom-score.JPG
    spm2.JPG
    pandora-moments.jpg
    horse_fan.png
    cath-kidston-handbags-laura_ashley.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Right now the key is anything other than 40 year old male themes. That is all Stern makes.

That may be true now, but it's because of the home buyer. Here's a Gary Stern quote from almost 10 years ago:

"We basically think we have two markets, two demographics in America. 25 year olds in the bars, plus or minus five years and 45 year olds, plus or minus 5 or 10 years, who are buying games for the home. They're raising a whole new crop of players because now they're 12 and 15 playing in Dad's rec room and when they're 21, or 19 with a phony ID, they're going to the bar playing our games."

http://www.sternpinball.com/PR_about.shtml

Now, with less games going on location, why should they try to appeal to any other demographic other than the one that buys most of their games? If you want more variety in themes, play on location regularly and encourage others to do the same. Women enjoy playing and socializing on location just as much as men do.

'Kids' is a relative term. Kids under 10 are too young for pinball. Both psychically and mentally. There's no reason to go after kids that young. Young kids enjoy redemption games. Kids 10 and older do fine with pinball.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

I remember playing "Space Shuttle" at age 6, TYVM. I sucked, but to me it was just a different kind of video game.

I'm not saying they can't play. Just that they don't have all the tools yet to be successful at pinball. Sure, you can stand them up on a stool. That makes up for the lack of height. But you can't make up for slower reflexes, their eyesight not being fully developed and most importantly, the lack of patience a younger kid has. Pinball requires a person to stand in one place for a long period of time. Young kids are terrible at that. That's why redemption games are so quick.

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

I know pinball owning families are not a good sample space here, but even on location in Seattle I see plenty of kids playing, and I don't know, maybe 60/40 men/women. I see women pulling to games like Lord of the Rings (nerdy as hell), World Cup Soccer (sports, complete with prominent goofy ass sex pot ref in hot pants), Black Knight 2000, etc...

Seems to me, interesting women and children in the activity/hobby is more about location and access than theme and pretty colors. How wrong am I?

You're not wrong, but I think you are overlooking the elephant in the room. Pinball is doing well in the pacific northwest, where you live. Everywhere else on the planet is struggling to get games on location and players to play them. New York city has more than 8 million people and roughly 125 pins on location. That's about 1 pin per 70,000 residents. If we can't even get guys out to play on location, why should we go after women and kids? Certainly you don't think women and kids can 'save' location pinball?

Quoted from jonnyo:

At the SF Pinball league we have around six women out of 30 total. That's the typical ratio I see at shows and at my tournaments.

League and tournament play are more social events. How many of those women do you see playing on location outside of tournament or league play? While there are women and kids in the league I play in, I never see them playing on location outside of league or a tournament.

The vast majority of the new folks coming into the hobby don't play on location regularly. Before we start recruiting women and kids, we need to get that fixed first.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-women-and-kids-interested?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.