(Topic ID: 45766)

"Getting Women and Kids interested" ???

By navajas

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Oonacat-boots-sm.jpg
    libby-kathryn.jpg
    aksels-5th2.jpg
    aksels-5th.jpg
    tom-score.JPG
    spm2.JPG
    pandora-moments.jpg
    horse_fan.png
    cath-kidston-handbags-laura_ashley.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from lukex:

Women and kids aren't 'supposed' to like pinball - so most don't.

I think that's part of the issue.

(Odd parallel)
    Im a shooting enthusiast, and shooting sports is a HUGELY male dominated area. However, as a NRA instructor, I can honestly say I've NEVER had a woman take a class or simply come out and try shooting that didn't thoroughly enjoy it and want to come back for more.

The most common thing I hear is "I never thought I'd like this" or "this is totally different than what my (media driven) perception was of this!"

Whats the answer? I dont know... but i dont think its about "themes" or pretty colors.... just like pink guns don't draw women to shootings, TRYING it does. I think pinball is similar.

Host a "ladies night' at the local arcade (or you're local man-cave- vacuum first though). Serve wine and cheese and let them all try it.... you might be surprised.

But, the reality is- I dont think you can change human nature- and there's some of that at play here...

1 month later
    #138 10 years ago

Since Im not at work, I can take a break from Politically-Correct-Bullshit.....

Trying to "get women to play pinball" is a futile waste of time and energy.

Why bother? Why not keep catering to the folks that pay their bills and drop the quarters (predominantly MEN). Spend money to get more "female-friendly" themes? Put ruby slippers on all the flippers?

sigh. its a waste. Some women enjoy pinball... awesome. Most don't.... so what?

That's like saying they can get more women to watch football is they just added a bit more flair to those darn uniforms....

Or more boys will take up knitting if the needles were shaped like light sabres....

Hate to break it to the social engineers out there, but *better sit down for this* :
    Men and Women are different and like different things.

Btw, please spare me the heartwarming stories about pinside members little girls' playing pinball till their fingers bleed... the sample from this site (with games in their rec rooms set to free play) isnt really a legitimate sample of the population....

#142 10 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

So, did you read the thread or just swoop in here with your redundant group think manking wisdom ready to paste?

Yes, I closely read all 16 of your posts in this thread .... and I disagree.

I think its simplistically naive to believe "location and access" is the only reason there's not equality in the interest of pinball among the sexes.

And I didn't say ALL women hate pinball just like ALL men don't love pinball.... so there's no need for the 8 or 9 woman on this forum (hmmm?) to get defensive. MOST pinball fans are men... its not super complicated and I just don't see the drama....

In fact most kids period aren't all that interested in pinball (boys or girls), that's likely the bigger issue in pinball ever being more than a (shrinking) retro niche interest.

On the bright side, pinball doesnt need MASS appeal to likely continue as a small hobby- not when manufacturers are able to stay alive selling a few thousand machines each year to (mostly) collectors.

And we're seeing pinball companies (Stern at least) get pretty focussed on their target groups- not broaden them.

#151 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

You mean like The Pin? Specifically made for the at-home person who doesn't want to work on pinball machines, with a video full of the whole family (wife, kids) playing it?

Sounds like you are agreeing with me.

The Pin was an utter failure.... don't expect Stern to go back in that direction when they are "shooting fish in a barrel" with their current strategy of tapping rabid fanbase themes with rock bands and cult movies.

#160 10 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

The thing is Rab, you forget that Lowe's already argued that "anecdotes" like pictures of approachable pinball establishments where adult males are not the majority, successful business models based on inclusiveness, and major operators who have found his opinion demonstrably false, simply don't count as much as his preconceived self congratulatory concept of male pinball legacy.
    T

Blah
    Blah
    Blah
    Rinse, repeat.

If it was just MY preconceived notion, I suspect we wouldn't see umpteen threads on this same subject.... (and your 20-something posts feverishly trying yo make your point here) ..Lol.

You can keep posting walls of text to support YOUR theory here- but it'll still be wrong....and it will be refuted by the masses (outside this pinside bubble). No matter how much guilt you have over being a male (?), it changes little in the real world.

#169 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sharon:

In the end, it wouldn't really matter to me if I were the only woman interested in it, or if there were no men interested in it. I'm here for the game, not the players

Great post..... Best in the thread.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-women-and-kids-interested?tu=lowepg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.