(Topic ID: 259903)

Getting the urge to blow up the collection...

By 27dnast

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Anyone else get that itch for a mass-swap out of a collection?

I'm so torn... some games, like my TAF are rarely played but stand as family favorites. Others, like Black Hole, tug at my heart strings... I just can't imagine opening the door and ushering it out. Then there's JM, which I throughly enjoy but have played to death over the last 6 years. I know I'd be kicking myself if I let it walk and then missed it in a month or two.

Right now, in my collection, TNA, Indy 500, and WCS probably are closest to the door.

What to do???

I have this constant nagging to pick up Mustang P/LE (which I have balked on twice in the last year or so...). I think I'd like to have GB Prem. come visit for a while... and I'm getting this weird urge to bring a TZ back into the collection (I had one years ago, but it sat between a Whirlwind and TAF and the three just seemed to have too many similarities).

Hmm...

#2 4 years ago

You’ve read The Diceman, right?

#3 4 years ago

Do it. Nice to get new different stuff.

#4 4 years ago

I know how you feel.

How about trading for 6 months with another local Pinsider?

#5 4 years ago

Looking at the games listed as in your collection, I think you could part with The Pinside Test Machine.
I don't really think you could get that much for it, though.

#6 4 years ago

I recommend not playing those games for a week and see if you miss them. Then go 2 weeks, then 4. If you don't miss them after a month, you will be fine without them.

#7 4 years ago

If you’re thinking about selling, it’s time to sell. They’re just things.

#8 4 years ago

No. Because I only have good games that I like to play.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Looking at the games listed as in your collection, I think you could part with The Pinside Test Machine.
I don't really think you could get that much for it, though.

I'll tell you what... I'll give it to you for free!

#10 4 years ago

I just sold 4 games. Tried to price them for quick sale and low and behild

Kinda fun having both cash and open spots. Can make offers as I want. I say go for it!!!!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'll tell you what... I'll give it to you for free!

It only needs 7 more reviews to be in the top 100

#12 4 years ago

Nothing you have is THAT hard to find. Sell it all and if you miss it find it again

#13 4 years ago

Do it, if any pin gets stale or my wife doesn’t like a pin then it’s gone. No waiting, no regrets!

I say that now but she doesn’t like our catwoman . That one I am trying to keep around but we keep playing it and she is not a fan at all. In the arcade she loved it. Catwoman I could see regretting unless I find something awesome

#14 4 years ago

I keep 3 to 4 pins at a time and seem to average switching one out about once per month. I haven't been in the hobby very long (got my first pin summer of 2018) but have really enjoyed being able to try out all sorts of different games. As long as you don't go NIB you can generally sell them for about what you paid for them. I really enjoy getting a machine, shopping it out, making it nicer than it was and playing it until I fully learn the game. It's a great way to get and play games you can't play locally and meet some nice people. There is nothing wrong with switching out machines. I find that you will have a very hard time trying to trade specific games for specific games, but if you are open and just take a game you think you'd enjoy, not the perfect one you will have offers on the table. Instead of trying for a specific thing, I have started advertising my games as, "trades +/- cash welcome". I get all sorts of offers and can select what I think is the best deal or what I will enjoy most. If you are the one putting up the for sale ad you can also generally get people to come to you to pick up the game and drop off theirs. Between Facebook, Craigslist, and Pinside, I got over 40 offers my Fish Tales when I let it go. I'm fairly close to a deal but the Champion Pub I have in the market has had offers +/- cash for Black Knight, Jungle Lord, Demolition Man, No Good Gofers, The Simpsons Pinball Party, AC/DC premium, Taxi, High Speed, Cyclone, Fish Tales, South Park and a few other's I'm forgetting. You are also not the only pinsider in Maryland that does temporary trades. I am getting my ST:TNG back next week that has been on loan for a Metallica premium from another pinsider.

#15 4 years ago

I'm with you, man. I'm thinking about letting go of 3 of my games. Just to downsize a bit. That being said, I know if I do I'll never get them back as the purchase prices for these games is just getting to be too much.

Step back and think things through. Ask yourself if you would really miss them if they were gone. If yes, dont sell. If no, do sell. If you dont know, you prolly would miss them....

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I'm with you, man. I'm thinking about letting go of 3 of my games. Just to downsize a bit. That being said, I know if I do I'll never get them back as the purchase prices for these games is just getting to be too much.
Step back and think things through. Ask yourself if you would really miss them if they were gone. If yes, dont sell. If no, dont. If you dont know, you prolly would miss them....

The whole price thing is definitely true. Great point

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Ask yourself if you would really miss them if they were gone. If yes, don't sell. If no, don't.

So don't sell either way then?

#18 4 years ago

If you don't play it and nobody in the house does move it in and bring in something fresh.

Just ask yourself do you really want to keep that game until you die or get wheeled into a home?

Or do you want to try out some new games while you can?

Oh to have unlimited money and space. But since most of us don't have a warehouse....

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

So don't sell either way then?

My bad. I meant if youd miss them, dont sell. If you wouldnt miss them, then do sell. Whoops!

#20 4 years ago

I have downsized my collection this year and I am finding it to be very liberating. I have a fat stack of pinball cash burning a hole in my pocket and open slots. The games I thought I would miss aren't gone, just no longer at my house.

If you haven't played the machine in months, you probably won't miss it when it's gone.

Just my two cents.

#21 4 years ago

I always got cold feet when I was about to list a game. Last year I sold MMr and Congo. Had severe second thoughts but dont regret it.
Now I'm going through the same process with TOM and BSD.

#22 4 years ago

since I collect a lot of weird and ultra rare games, I never have that urge. Since it took me 7-10 years for me to even find 1 copy ever for sale. But I did go through that about 6 years ago. I had a standard cookie cutter collection of typical WPC B/W stuff with a couple DE and new sterns. Sold 60% of it. Then overhauled and revamped the entire collection. Now I have way more diversity.

#23 4 years ago

Let me know if you're looking to let go of WOZ

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Let me know if you're looking to let go of WOZ

WOZ is my favorite pin... that would be the last to go.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

WOZ is my favorite pin... that would be the last to go.

Let's see the pics. Show it off!

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Let's see the pics. Show it off!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-see-pic-of-games-rooms/page/283#post-5294881

Of course, it’s off there. Was converting to 2.0. It’s a standard because I wanted silver habitrails... added the back alley walls/tornado, lit drop target, smoke/witch, shaker, monkey, and headphone/external volume... and removed shoe/flippers and replaced with Planetary deep red/sparkle bats.

Shopped it during 2.0 conversion. Plays silky smooth... probably one of the nicest standards around

Bought it from pinball star 6 years ago... fantastic game.

#28 4 years ago

I've had and sold a WCS and don't miss it. I sold TNA once and quickly found I missed it so I bought the same one back from the guy a few months later. Everyone is different but you should be able to buy back whatever you miss.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I've had and sold a WCS and don't miss it. I sold TNA once and quickly found I missed it so I bought the same one back from the guy a few months later. Everyone is different but you should be able to buy back whatever you miss.

If he ever sold Big Game, I doubt it. Those are typically one way sales
Most everything else I think you could get back.

Quoted from pinzrfun:

I know how you feel.
How about trading for 6 months with another local Pinsider?

This is probably the best option, I’d love to try this if I had games I wanted to trade

#30 4 years ago

That's the beauty of this hobby. You can sell a few machines and buy the same titles down the road. Go for it.

#31 4 years ago

Oh I have that feeling right now to sell my Refinery Met Pro with mods but not for another game, to help fund a killer motor for my Mustang.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 49.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 14.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 22.50
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-the-urge-to-blow-up-the-collection?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.