(Topic ID: 298834)

Getting the siderail with tape to stick to the cabinet?

By Nepi23

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Nepi23
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2E5E7F2A-6A05-4E39-BFB9-6DD1C525FF14 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Hi!

For some reason the double-sided tape of the siderail seems not to be too eager to stick to the cabinet side.

The decal on the cabinet does not go all the way up to the cabinet side and the cabinet seems to be quite glossy, so maybe that is the reason the double-sided tape of the siderail does not seem to stick well to the cabinet side.

Is there an easier way to fix this or should one remove the siderail altogether and what should one do with the glossy side of the cabinet that is visible - should one sand it a bit for example?

Thanks for any info!

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nepi23:

Hi!
    For some reason the double-sided tape of the siderail seems not to be too eager to stick to the cabinet side.
    The decal on the cabinet does not go all the way up to the cabinet side and the cabinet seems to be quite glossy, so maybe that is the reason the double-sided tape of the siderail does not seem to stick well to the cabinet side.
    Is there an easier way to fix this or should one remove the siderail altogether and what should one do with the glossy side of the cabinet that is visible - should one sand it a bit for example?
    Thanks for any info!

What type of tape are you using?

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from monkfe:

What type of tape are you using?

Its double-sided tape, they sell it for that purpose, e.g. here:
    https://www.free-play.se/en/cabinet-parts/side-railsmirrors/mounting-tape-for-side-rails.html

#4 2 years ago

Generally smoother is better for tape adhesion. Glossy paint should be fine. Any chance there is a residue on the paint? Have you tried wiping the area with alcohol to clean?

I’ve used 3m automotive trim tape with good results.

#5 2 years ago

I did wipe the area first with isopropanol alcohol or was it naphta, cannot recall.

Could it be that I put the tape a bit too high up in the siderail - I left about 7,5 mm space to the edge of the siderail. According to some conversion program that is 19⁄64 inches apparently.

#6 2 years ago

I just did my STTNG with this, wiped down with glue remover. Stuck solid.
    I stuck mine a few mm from the bottom of the rail.

2E5E7F2A-6A05-4E39-BFB9-6DD1C525FF14 (resized).jpeg2E5E7F2A-6A05-4E39-BFB9-6DD1C525FF14 (resized).jpeg
    #7 2 years ago

Are you using the screws at the front and in the back to hold everything in place?

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from 2manypins:

Are you using the screws at the front and in the back to hold everything in place?

I have this problem with two pins of mine. The other has both screws in place, in front and in the back, but the other one has only the screws in front in use.

#9 2 years ago

Not familiar with that tape ..the 3m version listed above is what I've used and is great...I actually use it in a much lesser amount than originally used as it so difficult to remove

#10 2 years ago

I don't know if anyone here has tried it, but I think I will press the siderail to the cabinet with clamps and heat the siderail with a hair dryer in the hopes that it would soften the tape inside the siderail to fasten to the cabinet. Let's see.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-the-siderail-with-tape-to-stick-to-the-cabinet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.