(Topic ID: 28758)

Getting the itch to buy the color DMDs. Can you help?

By Indypin

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Hey fellas! Loving those color DMDs on the MM, AFM and AF. I want to get all three, but obviously it will cost me an arm and a leg. I was so close of hitting the "Pay Now" button on my Paypal last night to ColorDMD. Not getting it in hopes of sprucing up the pins because I want to sell them later on and get more money because these guys are my keepers. Just trying to justify the price. I already know they look fantastic, but my biggest concern is how reliable are they? Do I really look at the screen that much to notice the color when I'm concentrating on keeping the ball(s) in play? And if I decide to get one, which one should I get first? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

They're really cool and when you play one for a while the normal displays look very weird. all DMD stuff is more for people you're playing with to watch and not for direct involvement unless you're talking about a video mode. Occasionally I look up when taking a break or have destroyed a saucer or castle but i'm not tuned in all the time seeing what's going on as the playfield inserts should be giving me my status. That said, they look awesome and definitely refresh a game that has been around for quite a while.

remember.....they only cost $300 if you use that display in another game

LCD screens should be very reliable. I'm staring at 4 at work that I've had for over 10 years on 24 hours a day with no issues. compare that to plasma i would say it's more reliable and you save wear and tear on your HV sections of the display board.

I could only afford 1 so went with AFM since I'm hoping the demand will still be strong for MM and more will be run later.

-c

#3 11 years ago

If you buy it and are not happy I am sure you can sell it and recover most of your costs at a minimal loss. Plus you can sell your current DMD for $50-$100 depending on the condition. While I agree you don't look at the DMD that much during gameplay I still glance up there to see my score and when the ball is stopped. When I am watching someone else play it's simply amazing and quite possibly one of the best mods out there. My only issue now is my other games without them will not look the same and even more out of date.

#4 11 years ago

I like them but also like consistency int lineup, I think having one colored DMD
    May look odd. I also have a hard time spending 500 on something I barely look at when playing, if I had the money to spend it would go to PDI or Invisiglass.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I like them but also like consistency int lineup, I think having one colored DMD
    May look odd. I also have a hard time spending 500 on something I barely look at when playing, if I had the money to spend it would go to PDI or Invisiglass.

They are only $399 I had 2 pieces of Invisiglass but ended up selling them for the consistency reason as well that I didn't want it on just 2 games and could not see buying it for all 12 at once. Some of my machines have the red DMD filters, tron will have blue soon, and with XPIN making color DMDs now hopefully the variety will allow the ColorDMD games not to look as out of place. After putting the red dmd filter on some of my games it made me want to do it to all of them since it looked so nice, however the red does not go well with every theme so I could not.

#6 11 years ago

Well worth the money in my opinion. AFM is a whole different game now that it's in color.
    Nothing beats the blood exploding from the Martians head on extra ball

#7 11 years ago

As a friend of mine once said, "It only hurts once."

#8 11 years ago

LMAO. Thanks fellas! I went ahead and ordered the MM one, figuring I would try one and then if I liked it I would order the other two. Tough choice between AFM and MM, but my baby won out by only a hair. It does makes the pins look newer, doesn't it. Thanks again guys!

#9 11 years ago

Don't forget to install the remote "kill" switch for when I come over to play the MM!

I have not yet begun to fight!

#10 11 years ago

What switch? What are you talking about? My attorney told me to say that! Tee Hee!

#11 11 years ago

I ordered AFM at opening, and thought I would get TAF next go round.
    I made it til around 8 that night and couldn't resist any longer.
    Pinside is a bad thing!
    Also, I'm jealous that all you guys up north have lots of close neighbors that are into pins.
    We've got a lot of space in Texas, which is good and bad...

(BTW kidding about Pinside, I love it!)

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

They are only $399 I had 2 pieces of Invisiglass but ended up selling them for the consistency reason as well that I didn't want it on just 2 games and could not see buying it for all 12 at once. Some of my machines have the red DMD filters, tron will have blue soon, and with XPIN making color DMDs now hopefully the variety will allow the ColorDMD games not to look as out of place. After putting the red dmd filter on some of my games it made me want to do it to all of them since it looked so nice, however the red does not go well with every theme so I could not.

I added the red DMD filter to my AFM and like it. Once WoZ arrives consistency is out the door so might bite the bullet then.

#13 11 years ago

Have you tried buying these from Rob Anthony (Borygard)? I bought mine from him and paid a much better price than anything I've seen on this thread.
    Mike

#14 11 years ago

You sound like me Mojo. I swear I had my finger over that "pay now" button on PayPal for the longest time, calling my friends and asking the wifey what should I do! LOL To help me out, the wifey ended up buying it for me as an early Christmas gift. I never heard of the guy Pintucky. Does he have a web site because if I like the MM one, I will definitely get the other two (well, at least the one for AFM).

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Indypin:

You sound like me Mojo. I swear I had my finger over that "pay now" button on PayPal for the longest time, calling my friends and asking the wifey what should I do! LOL To help me out, the wifey ended up buying it for me as an early Christmas gift. I never heard of the guy Pintucky. Does he have a web site because if I like the MM one, I will definitely get the other two (well, at least the one for AFM).

You've never heard of Rob Anthony, AKA borygard? 10 lashes for being a pinball noob.

http://www.lockwhenlit.com/

#16 11 years ago

Wish I had the ability to hover over the Pay button, I just click. The only time I regret it is when the credit card bill comes.......ouch!

#17 11 years ago

Well I saw and played all 3 color DMD's at Expo last week. They were side by side by side. And I must say I've already ordered my Addam's Family one. Out of the 3 I think MM has the most color and the most going on because of all the animations on it.

#18 11 years ago

If it saves me money, I'll take 10 more lashes! LOL

#19 11 years ago

scratch that itch......

#20 11 years ago

So I take it the color dmd's from lockwhen lit are 1 color? Who makes the multiple color dmd's and Im guessing there is a rom to swap out for that? Id love to put one on TZ if they are available....
    Edit-nevermind, I found it on old thread-duh, colordmd like in first post

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-the-itch-to-buy-the-color-dmds-can-you-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.