Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pinzrfun
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Picked up a Stern Stingray from a non pin guy. Sound isn't working, neither is the ball ejector. So when I set the ball in the shooter lane and start playing, several solenoids will fire - hit the drip targets, the bumpers fire too. Hit a slingshot, something else fires too. Should I start by looking for missing/broken diodes, like most multi-smumti-switch closure problems?
And not really sure where to start w the missing sounds. It has chimes but the game is actually electronic -

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

And not really sure where to start w the missing sounds. It has chimes but the game is actually electronic

Some of the first electronic games still had chimes for sound before later games switched over to electronic sounds. Stringray only has chimes--no electronic sounds.

Quoted from pinzrfun:

Should I start by looking for missing/broken diodes, like most multi-smumti-switch closure problems?

Also be sure to go through the game diagnostics.

#3 6 years ago

Repin connector J4 on the MPU as well as J4 on the solenoid driver. This should clear up erroneous solenoids firing.

You can verify this by going through the solenoid self-test. If the solenoid firing order doesn't match the test, or the same solenoid fires more than once during one cycle of the test, those connectors are the problem.

This is an early SS game with chimes instead of electronic sounds. Same problem would affect the chimes.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks guys, I'll try that and let you know what happens-

1 week later
#5 6 years ago

Ok, well I don't have a 19 pin .100 connector but I pulled both boards and did touch up some cold/cracked solder joints but nothing changed.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Repin connector J4 on the MPU as well as J4 on the solenoid driver. This should clear up erroneous solenoids firing.

Maybe i misread this, did u mean repin the molex connector?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Maybe i misread this, did u mean repin the molex connector?

Yep. I'd do the connectors on the power supply too.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Ok, well I don't have a 19 pin .100 connector but I pulled both boards and did touch up some cold/cracked solder joints but nothing changed.

FYI, you can reuse the plastic housing as long as it's not burnt up or melted.

#9 6 years ago

Ok, I rebuilt the J4 connectors to no avail - solenoids are still firing like crazy when I turn the game on and during gameplay (multiple coils firing).. The drop target reset and one of the pops fire at least 2 times in coil test but I'm also getting some switch errors from the drop targets.
When any of the 5 drop targets are down, the
targets to the right don't register, and only a few of the playfield switches register (Same ones regardless of which drop is down).
Are these related? Do I need to straighten out the switch errors before I can determine what's causing the coils to flake out? I don't know how switch errors would affect the coil test but what do I know.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
2,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 199.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-stung-by-stingray and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.