Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by acupunk12
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I'm looking at starting a collection and getting a couple of new pins to play and a couple of older pins to work on and learn.
    My question is where should I start a pin from the 80's or 90's? I have never worked on pins but have some experience in electronics.

thanks for any input

#2 1 year ago

Late 70's and early 80's Bally Solid State/ Stern Solid State is the best place to cut your teeth, once you get your feet wet you could move to Williams Solid State and then if you like a challenge Gottlieb Solid State.

#4 1 year ago

Run away, they will take over your life!

#5 1 year ago

I really don’t think any particular era or generation of games is easier or harder to work on. They all require the same level of soldering and electronics prowess to diagnose certain issues.

What does differ between generations/manufacturers/eras is the level of support they get from other collectors.

Ask a tech question for an 80s or 90s Bally or Williams game and you’ll get a ton of helpful responses.

Ask a similar tech question for an 80s or 90s Gottlieb game, and you’d be lucky to get a couple good responses.

It’s not that the Gottlieb game is harder to work on, they’re just not as popular, we’re manufactured in lower quantities, and therefore don’t have a huge army of fans to support them.

However, parts availability seems to be very good for basically any game these days. You can’t go wrong. Very little is unobtainable.

My suggestion is to get a game that you WANT to work on. Something worth your time and something that’ll keep you motivated when you find yourself in a pickle—regardless of era or manufacturer.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

Exactly this ... Best advice ever !

#7 1 year ago

People scoff at the idea of buying "whatever game is available", but if you are interested in repair why does it matter? I'd take all of SantaEatsCheese advice above and seek out a decent-ish deal** on a solid state game that needs some attention or repair. You can always sell it whether you get it working or not. When fixed, if you like the game you keep it longer than if you don't like it. Lots of folks want a general "how to fix pinballs" education, but to me buying a broken game is the easiest way to learn. You have an actual problem to research and there are lots of resources online to help.

Now for a game to "put in your collection", then yes I would research what game(s) you'd like to own longer-term. But again, you can always sell any game and get a different one.

If there is a location near you that has a league, join it. You will make pinball friends and can lean on them for deals/advice as well as good time.

** yes, you will probably overpay for your first purchase. We all did.

#8 1 year ago

“yes, you will probably overpay for your first purchase. We all did.”

I won my first in a contest - GTL Jungle Queen. 40 years and several hundred machines later, I still have 10. Like others have said - don’t do it! It’s an addiction.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

People scoff at the idea of buying "whatever game is available", but if you are interested in repair why does it matter? I'd take all of sataneatscheese advice above and seek out a decent-ish deal** on a solid state game that needs some attention or repair. You can always sell it whether you get it working or not. When fixed, if you like the game you keep it longer than if you don't like it. Lots of folks want a general "how to fix pinballs" education, but to me buying a broken game is the easiest way to learn. You have an actual problem to research and there are lots of resources online to help.
    Now for a game to "put in your collection", then yes I would research what game(s) you'd like to own longer-term. But again, you can always sell any game and get a different one.
    If there is a location near you that has a league, join it. You will make pinball friends and can lean on them for deals/advice as well as good time.

We all did?! I paid $150 for an old Wedgehead. It was rotted and held together with massive lag screws, but it played great for 2 years and that’s all it needed to do.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

They do? Lol!

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

I was sick to my stomach for several years knowing that I paid $2,400 for a Roadshow. I feel a little bit better now.

#12 1 year ago

Thanks for the insight. Gonna take a trip to Roanoke VA pinball museum to get some ideas

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

Quoted from schudel5:

They do? Lol!

You might as well have said, "I want to get into crack, where's the best place to start?"

#14 1 year ago

I'll answer as someone who has only been in the hobby for ~4 months. (so you can ignore all of this if you want - what do I know!)

Buy a modern pinball first - something made within the last few years, home use only (HUO). Something with a few hundred to a few thousand plays. Buying new in box (NIB) is an option as well. You can do some mods on your new machine, you can get comfortable cleaning it, waxing it, replacing rubbers, new shooter rod, coil stops, etc... But most of all the modern machine will have some nice deep code (good if you only have 1 machine), and barring a disaster you should have several years of trouble free playing.

And don't think of it as a collection - think of it as a lineup. Pinball machines are meant to be played!

#15 1 year ago

Start off with the 90s pins they are more fun then the 80 and 70s plus buy a new one u like too play while your working on the others too fix up and enjoy playing and sell over time and keep going like that too get better and better

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from ggg71:

I'll answer as someone who has only been in the hobby for ~4 months. (so you can ignore all of this if you want - what do I know!)
    Buy a modern pinball first - something made within the last few years, home use only (HUO). Something with a few hundred to a few thousand plays. Buying new in box (NIB) is an option as well. You can do some mods on your new machine, you can get comfortable cleaning it, waxing it, replacing rubbers, new shooter rod, coil stops, etc... But most of all the modern machine will have some nice deep code (good if you only have 1 machine), and barring a disaster you should have several years of trouble free playing.
    And don't think of it as a collection - think of it as a lineup. Pinball machines are meant to be played!

As someone with less than six months in I concur. Just buy something new or like new first. All the new sterns are good relatively speaking. It’ll be easier to deal with and you can get more deeply involved as time progresses. And go to as many arcades as possible .

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-started-with-the-hobby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.