(Topic ID: 4288)

Getting Started - Which Machine Do I Get?

By TigerSaw

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by lpeters82
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-37.jpg
    T2_.jpg
    BK2K_&_T2.jpg
    ToM_all_Led_d_with_BSD.jpg
    Dirty_Harry.3.jpg
    Monster_Bash.,.jpg
    106b7140.jpg
    New_Arrival_s.jpg
    BB_.jpg
    toasty.jpeg
    P7050099.JPG
    P7050094.JPG
    P7050109.JPG
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

okay, I am new to this and as of about 5 days ago I decided I wanted a pinball machine. I have read and soaked up as much of this wonderful subculture as possible. I am still left with questions, and in my experience asking the fans and collectors is the best way to go.

What is the difference between a "shopped" machine and a "refurbished" one?

What is a good first machine?

I really want Theatre of Magic as I was a huge MK nut back in the day and it has kombat kodes built into it. It also rates really high on most peoples top 20, and looks like amazing fun. Plus the promo video on youtube is so outrageous i want it even more. I have no skill at pinball, i just love playing it.

Secondly I have a local guy (canadian) offering me Addams family (another highly rated game). Says it works fine and he sent me tons (39) detailed pictures of it, says I can come play it and try it out. He wants 3000 for it, and the only damage it has the the playfield is very scuffed. I dont know if this is a good price or not, as I dont know how much, how hard, or where to have this fixed.

Also, I have plenty of computer building and fixing experiance, I flash Xbox's all the time, and am generally amazing at fixing things.... how hard is a pinball machine to fix?

I have posted pictures of the damage I am talking about. Hope to hear from you guys!

P7050109.JPGP7050109.JPG P7050094.JPGP7050094.JPG P7050099.JPGP7050099.JPG

#2 12 years ago

Tigersaw, welcome to the hobby. In reverse order: you sound like you will have no problem maintaining machines. Having owned several, there has not been a problem over the years that I have not been able to solve. You will need a tech manual for the specific machine, a copy of the logic "rules" ( both available for free on line in most cases), a basic understanding of wiring schematics / soldering. If you are not into repairing circuit boards ( you will eventually have to replace bridge capacitors), repair people are readily available. I have also gotten repair tips from the internet and people on this web site are very help full.

As far as the Addams Family posted, I would stay away. Damage to the play field and cabinet like you are picturing greatly de values the machine. I found one last summer for a little more money that was in far better condition. He is asking far too much.

as far as shopped versus re furbished. I have seen both terms used interchangeably. Re furbished infers more work but you need to ask specifically what the vendor has done to the machine, look with your own eyes and take the glass off and try the switches by rolling a ball with your hand. Look inside the cabinet body for cleanliness and the back board for hacked wires, burnt connectors, etc. Lastly feel free to ask questions on this forum. The people here are very helpful and supportive.

#3 12 years ago

I am no expert, but the TAF looks very rough and and played hard. How on earth did that back get so tore up? Looks like more of a $1k machine in that shape. I play one locally at a pizza shop and it is way better and gets beat on daily.

#4 12 years ago

TS, welcome to group and good luck with your first purchase. Sulli seems to have answered your questions quite well and I agree that although TAF is a great Pin and highly sought after I would stay away from that one...at that price anyway. Depending on the rest of the Pin I wouldn't give more than $500. Hopefully the guy is not trying to take advantage of a new PinHead but I can not figure out why he thinks he is going to get $3000 for it. Good Luck and keep us posted.

#5 12 years ago

Welcome Tigersaw, good questions you ask. Sulli10 provided some good info and I would agree to stay away from this particuliar TAF as the asking price is too much for this condition. There are other machines available that are in better condition and patience really pays off. I think you will find many helpful people here at Pinside that will be able to provide you with their input and experience with different machines and sellers. Theatre of Magic is a great game but in all honesty the MK codes really dont come into play at all. The game will leave with a smile everytime though and thats whats great about pinball. Welcome to Pinside and good luck on your search.

#6 12 years ago

welcome Tigersaw.

"Refurbished", "shopped", etc. - means different things to different people. Both should give you a clean, 100% working machine. Beyond that, it's a crapshoot as to what was actually done to the machine.

If you are going to go as deep as a ToM or TAF as your first machine (good for you!) - I'd really recommend you try to hook up with a local collector for some guidance and assistance. The TAF that you picture above - that "scuff" that maybe you could live with on the playfield - can mean the difference of hundreds and hundreds of dollars in the value of the machine. If you are buying a $1000 machine, a little wear typically won't hurt you much. On a high end machine, it will significantly impact the value. And what is "insignificant" wear to you as a new collector may very well be a "deal breaker" for someone who has been in the hobby awhile.

I generally try to get machines with good cosmetics, because I know I can fix or replace the electronics. Can't always do that with a playfield or backglass that is in bad shape.

But really, if you are going to spend $3-4k on your first machine, take your time. Ask around here for opinions. It's not uncommon for people to overpay when purchasing their first machine, and in the price range you are talking it becomes even more critical to make sure you know what you are getting. Good luck!

#7 12 years ago

It is sad to see a TAF in that condition...

Speaking of TAF!!!
    I was playing TAF the other day... (kidding! )

Seriously TS, (Great Avatar BTW!)
    If you wanted an MK send up for pinball go get a 'Funhouse'!
    Ed Boon did ALL the voicework for Rudy!
    Or if you really want to hurt your wallet- get a MM!
    Dan Forden gives the ol' "TOASTYYY!!!" shout out as well...

Good luck with the TOM hunt though!

toasty.jpegtoasty.jpeg

#8 12 years ago

It's beat up pretty bad, but it's still worth than $500 IMO.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

I was playing TAF the other day... (kidding! )

I see what you did there!

#10 12 years ago

If it works, and you can get the seller to come back to earth on the price I'd go for it.

I wouldn't pay more than $1000.00 for it (and that's only if it's running 100%). I have a feeling the seller is trying to take advantage of you because he knows you're new to pinball.

That being said, offer him 1K. At that price, you can dig in elbows deep and learn alot pins, and not worry about messing it up.

Practice up on soldering. You'll need it where you're going.

#11 12 years ago

Welcome to the site and hobby!! That machine is a mess I would advise you to stay away from it. You would likely want a machine in better condition for a first machine. And it really seems like this guy is trying to rip someone off trying to charge $3,000 for a machine in that condition it is a good idea to stay away from buying from guys like that. Even at $1,000 I would advise you to stay away from this one because it is much better to ease into learning how to fix these machines.

People that claim they shopped or refurbished a machine means they got it in working order cleaned the playfield changed out bad bulbs and rubbers. It is just a claim until you actually see it for yourself. I would focus on trying to find one locally or like you did in this case get as many photos as possible. It is more important to get a machine with a good playfield then one that has been shopped since you could really do that yourself.

#12 12 years ago

My advice is to play the machines before buying and to do what you are doing, namely check the ratings and opinions. Also as it is a first game don't pay over the odds as you may like to exchange or sell it in the future.

#13 12 years ago

The TAF looks tatty!!

As for first pin - you would probably enjoy so many. For me, I have shortlists and wishlists and it is simply what becomes available. Then it is condition and price. Right condition and right price, you cannot go wrong because if you get bored quickly, it is simple to move on quickly and get another.

Buy an unloved dog and you could be stuck with it!

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Seriously TS, (Great Avatar BTW!)

haha thanks! I collect He-Man figures as well.... or did .... I have em all at this point. I lov ethe hell out of the 80's and thus i thought a pinball machine would be perfect.

I am BLOW AWAY by the responses on here .... You guys are so helpful and nice.... like wow ..... thank you so much. I thought 3000 was good for TAF because it goes for like 6000 on ebay, 10000 if in good condition. I thought buy it, fix it, resell it, use money to get ToM and then pinball until my face melts. From what you guys are saying, I really shouldnt get it. Not for 3000 anyways.

On top of it, I learned that I need to learn to solder. I have been avoiding it for years, I do want to learn, but i DONT want to mess up what I am working on. So how do you practice something like that?

Also, I would love a 1000-2500 dollar machine to start. What are some good options? I was thinking maybe T2. I really dont care what it is, as long as its from 1985 +... Still need some suggestions on a machine. I do want MM, Scared Stiff, Cirque, Ironman, Spider-Man, Attack From Mars ..... I just want a machine that isnt hard, isnt easy, and fairly cheap/tradeable because I know ill want to at some point. ToM is the end goal though.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from TigerSaw:

it goes for like 6000 on ebay

They do not often sell for 6000 on ebay though. Pinside provides an estimated value for most machines, for TAF it is $2960 and $3440 based on 58 auctions. Another useful site to see what pins actually sell for is:
    http://www.mindformation.com/cgi-bin/ebaypins.pl

Another good site to gauge a value on machine is:
    http://www.pinpedia.com/

Hope this helps

#16 12 years ago

+1 on everything The_Dude_Abides just said! never use the stuff that sits on ebay (and sits and sits and sits...) as a price guide. pinpedia is an awesome resource and i use it all the time to check on pinball prices. pinside's price charts are good as well. welocme to the hobby, bunch of great people here for sure.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

They do not often sell for 6000 on ebay though. Pinside provides an estimated value for most machines, for TAF it is $2960 and $3440 based on 58 auctions. Another useful site to see what pins actually sell for is:
    http://www.mindformation.com/cgi-bin/ebaypins.pl

Another good site to gauge a value on machine is:
    http://www.pinpedia.com/

Hope this helps

very helpful actually, thank you! Now what's a "collector" pin, vs a "players" pin. ?

Also found a "Funhouse" for 2500, says everything works just fine, and he lives rather close. What questions should I ask, and is that a good price for that machine?

#18 12 years ago

Get'em ALLL.... Sell yr Least Fav---- Take out a Loan for 50k and HAVE FUN !!!!!!!

BB_.jpgBB_.jpg // Error: Image 5627 not found // // Error: Image 5628 not found // New_Arrival_s.jpgNew_Arrival_s.jpg 106b7140.jpg106b7140.jpg Monster_Bash.,.jpgMonster_Bash.,.jpg Dirty_Harry.3.jpgDirty_Harry.3.jpg ToM_all_Led_d_with_BSD.jpgToM_all_Led_d_with_BSD.jpg

#19 12 years ago

lol, black rose, what was the point of that post? It was essentially "Go be financially irresponsible! Here are pics of awesome pinball machines!" ... ?? ... lol what was the point?

Are they all examples of good starter games? .... cuz im sure I like 90% of us want to own all the games you posted.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from TigerSaw:

Also, I would love a 1000-2500 dollar machine to start. What are some good options? I was thinking maybe T2. I really dont care what it is, as long as its from 1985 +... Still need some suggestions on a machine. I do want MM, Scared Stiff, Cirque, Ironman, Spider-Man, Attack from Mars ..... I just want a machine that isnt hard, isnt easy, and fairly cheap/tradeable because I know ill want to at some point. ToM is the end goal though.

T2 a great 'bang for buck pin' and great fun. Not super deep but great for learning shots and really nice flow. Popular as well, so easy to move on.

#21 12 years ago

tiger saw welcome to the world of pinball. as you can see there are alot of friendly helpful people here. with that said if i were you i would check out the bang for buck list under the top 100 tab this will give you a general idea about what machines are going for. also dont assume just because someone else doesnt like a machine that you wont. the 2500 dollar range should get you a great starter. if you have a place to play near you go play some machines learn the rule set give each game a fair shot. if you dont like a game at first move on then comeback to it some games grow on you. my best advice is dont rush into it take your time. you dont want to get stuck with some thing you dont like (no brainer) but also something you will have a hard time getting rid of goodluck!

#22 12 years ago

Welcome to the forum and hobby! Black_Rose is a serious pin flipping wild man! Hes had a ton of pins in the past year or two. Sometimes there lucky to be at his place more than 24 hours! But seriously, there tons of great pins to be had for much less than 3k, and this is a great place to ask a question or two. Very knowledgeable people here, and they'll steer you in the right direction! Put up a whats it worth post when you have one in mind. Careful though, there like rabbits! They multiply quickly!

#23 12 years ago

I've got a T2.. Yes, I still have it.. I do have 2- Previous Buyer's of mine want-n it,, But I'm NOT thru with it Yet.. And it will be 4-sale in the next month.. and yr a Long way Away !!! I Haven't set a price yet,, will be between $ 15 and $ 1700.00 .. Order-n the 2nd 1/2 of the insert Led's 2-nite from
    .. http://shop.cointaker.com/ and I'm think-n about gett-n the Home rom for T2 at

,,, http://www.actionpinball.com/cgi-bin/romorder.cgi?name=T2Prof

. The Profanity rom's Should give T2 some Umph !!!

. Forgive me ,, For i am Insane !!!

BK2K_&_T2.jpgBK2K_&_T2.jpg T2_.jpgT2_.jpg

#24 12 years ago

Black Rose.....You need a bigger garage.

#25 12 years ago

SW was my first pin and I love it! And you can usually find them for $1700-$2200. Great theme and very fun to play!

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from DarthPinhead:

SW was my first pin and I love it! And you can usually find them for $1700-$2200. Great theme and very fun to play!

oh, okay, that's a good suggestion. I dont mind star wars at all, it's in my price range. Illlook into it!

Black Rose - that machine looks really good! and in my price range .... but you're 12 hours away!! = ) ... it would be one hell of a road trip to get it, and come back home with it in 1 day! = )

#27 12 years ago

Bought my 1st machine (Jurassic Park) about a month ago. I don't regret it at all. It's fast, fun, cool toys and lots of shot variety. Seems like a great game for a player like me who is going to play for a 1/2 hour a night.

#28 12 years ago

JP and T2 would be a great combo to start with, and you could pick up both for about $3K total. Star Wars has a great theme, but you might get tired of it pretty quickly.

#29 12 years ago

Also found a "Funhouse" for 2500, says everything works just fine, and he lives rather close.

That is not too shabby of a price...
    What you should look for is of course- Rudy working properly (eyes, eyelids, mouth etc...), subway not cracked or damaged, bulbs, trapdoor, wear around the cellar holes and that the displays are bright. Also if the seller is nice enough... Do a switch test with a pinball to see if everything is working as it should.
    Also if it has a "Diamond Plate" PF you can check it under the right flipper...

Here!

image-37.jpgimage-37.jpg

It just means that it will be more durable towards heavier cleaning if the PF is dirty or scratched.
    I think it was around 200 or so first run machines that had it stock. The rest were updated as a NOS replacement later on...
    Good luck with it if you do decide to buy!
    I would love to LED one six ways til' Sunday...
    But that's just me!

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Do a switch test with a pinball to see if everything is working as it should.

what is a switch test and how do i do it? .... thanks for the info I will ask them all that you asked me and see what they say.

Quoted from lpeters82:

Bought my 1st machine (Jurassic Park) about a month ago. I don't regret it at all. It's fast, fun, cool toys and lots of shot variety. Seems like a great game for a player like me who is going to play for a 1/2 hour a night.

I will add that to my list. Sounds perfect. I have watched it in action and it's really cool looking, I like the T-Rex eating the ball, and again cool theme

#31 12 years ago

You might get tired of the T-Rex eating the ball after awhile. Pretty cool at 1st.

#32 12 years ago

Yeah, the only bad thing of the T-Rex is it slows things down, however because it often triggers a Tri-Ball it's often the calm before the storm. The Raptor Kickback is also just fun.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from TigerSaw:

what is a switch test and how do i do it?

Here you go!
    http://www.flippers.be/basics/101-pinball_tests.html

#34 12 years ago

that's a lot to read! I am working on it now .... so far it's pretty crazy. I really thought it was a plug it in, play it sorta deal.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from TigerSaw:

I really thought it was a plug it in, play it sorta deal.

uuhh, no these machines being old and having so many parts need to be worked on more then you would think. I enjoy working on them even though it can get frustrating at times. Hiring a tech to come and service it when you have issues will get very pricey quickly so if you don't have extra money to spend on a tech you need to learn as much as you can as quick as you can to begin fixing the issues yourself.

#36 12 years ago

My pick would be a good conditioned T2.
    Mine is a players pin that is taking some work to make up to snuff but coming along.
    I don't want many projects again.

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

uuhh, no these machines being old and having so many parts need to be worked on more then you would think. I enjoy working on them even though it can get frustrating at times. Hiring a tech to come and service it when you have issues will get very pricey quickly so if you don't have extra money to spend on a tech you need to learn as much as you can as quick as you can to begin fixing the issues yourself.

Oh i plan on being able to service it myself. I have the internet, I'm highly intelligent, and I am good with my hands. I've taught myself many things .... it's too bad you dont get credit from it in life. Unless you have papers to back up your knowledge no one seems to care... lol but that's beside the point. I plan on getting a good condition machine that, as it has problems (and I assume it will) i will be able to solve them. I am actually looking forward to it. It's like working on a PC, it might take me like 4 days to figure out what's wrong, but once you do it's like "I am more than man, more than life! I AM A GOD!"

#38 12 years ago

Sounds like you have the right attitude for sure I think you will enjoy the hobby!!

#39 12 years ago

"I'm highly intelligent"

Did you really say that? WOW!

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from LabGuy:

"I'm highly intelligent"

Did you really say that? WOW!

I know right? .... Liking yourself isnt popular these days, and saying it ... CRAAAZZZZY!. While I am at it, I am also tall, handsome, buff, and fun to talk to! .... all those things are true BTW ... u mad?

I am smart, not in a "I invented cold fusion" sorta way, but more in a well read, the world fascinates me, and your average person thinks I'm odd, sorta way. I didnt claim to be Einstien over here, just aware of my own above average intelligence, it can be alienating at times ....

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from TigerSaw:

I know right? .... Liking yourself isnt popular these days, and saying it ... CRAAAZZZZY!.

I feel ya on that one. Its like its a crime to let people know how AWESOME you are! I live my life by the motto "Its Awesome being awesome!" That phrase is trademarked BTW lol

#42 12 years ago

I always felt as if you have a talent or gift for anything, let others do the bragging for you.

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from LabGuy:

I always felt as if you have a talent or gift for anything, let others do the bragging for you.

it's not bragging if someone else does it .... it's a compliment. People are far more likely to point out the negative rather than the positive. It's more socially acceptable to berate someone than it is to say they are better at something than you are.

Like someone going "Did you really say that? WOW!" would be acceptable, although belittling. While "What leads you to believe that?" or even "Good for you guy! I love your high self esteem!" are statements that leave you more vulnerable.

I do like that you speak your mind though, keep it up! = )

#44 12 years ago

Arrogance is a quality these days?

#45 12 years ago

Okay I have found this http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-hobbies-crafts-1995-Frankenstein-pinball-machine-W0QQAdIdZ295062192

and this http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-toys-games-Data-East-Hook-Pinball-machine-W0QQAdIdZ294430702

please do tell what you think of them. I am seriously considering the Hook machine, but I dont know all the details. What should I ask?

#46 12 years ago

I would pick Frankenstein over Hook its a much better game.
    If you see them in person would be the best option.The first thing
    to check is the boards and see if they are in good conditon and no
    battery acid,Put the machine in test report and see if any errors pop up and
    check the DMD in the screen test also they are very costly to replace especially
    the Frankenstein one.

#47 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

I would pick Frankenstein over Hook its a much better game.

+1 on that.

#48 12 years ago

okay cool, but based on the links, what would you ask? what are some informed questions, things i need to know?

#49 12 years ago

What your budget is like? For me, price was one of the largest factors. I really couldn't spend over $1000 so I basically was looking for whatever came along. If you have 2-3-4k more games are going to be available.

#50 12 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

What your budget is like? For me, price was one of the largest factors. I really couldn't spend over $1000 so I basically was looking for whatever came along. If you have 2-3-4k more games are going to be available.

about $1500 .... still what do i ask these people, how do I know if it's good or not?

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-started-which-machine-do-i-get and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.