Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by parkway
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So now that finances, family, and work have settled down, I'm finally ready to start my pinball collection. Been collecting arcade games for a couple of years now, but I'm ready to move on and find pins more enjoyable (though I'm keeping a couple of my favorite games I restored). Anyway, my options are as follows as there are a couple of each for sale around me in good condition; I've played and love them all from back in the day:

Firepower
Police Force
Galaxy
Gorgar
High Speed

I can afford ONE of them for now. Since I'm still in the wee learning stages of pinball collecting/maintenence/repair, is any one of these "easier" for a newb to own while they're learning? As I have more room/money, I will eventually have them all.

#2 11 years ago

hs all the way. excellent first pin

#3 11 years ago

HS for sure.

#4 11 years ago

Never played Firepower or Galaxy. My vote would be High Speed.

I have never worked on any of them as far as 'issues' go. But, you're in the right place should anything ever come up!

#5 11 years ago

High speed or firepower. Gorgar is borrrrring IMO.

#7 11 years ago

Just buy any of that list you find in the best condition for a reasonable price..
they're all quite similar, HS is maybe a bit more fun and together with Police Force a bit more reliable because it's sys11 generation boards, but technically one shouldn't give you more problems than the other.
So if that's your wish list then look out for any of them, and when you find one in good shape then buy it. Find it only in bad shape ? pass and search for another one from your list..

#8 11 years ago

Another HS vote here! I remember them all (except for Galaxy). HS....hands down.

#9 11 years ago

Well I've learned I have to act a little quicker. The High Speed auction was pulled from eBay due to it being sold locally. Firepower was parted out due to lack of interest. Police Force guy disappeared. Gorgar guy won't come down below $900. Doh. Guess it's just a waiting game now.

#10 11 years ago

HS is cool but Police Force would be just as good and I bet you could find one for 700.00 or less. Dollar wise PF is a better choice since you know you like it already.

#11 11 years ago

Of that list I like HS best then police force, firepower, gorgar in that order.

I do not have enough time on galaxy to judge it.

Best of luck hunting for your new machine.

1 week later
#12 11 years ago

Thanks all. Going to take a look at a HS this weekend. Passed on a Police Force for now.

1 month later
#13 11 years ago

Well I actually just bought my first pin last night; not on my above list but played it a bunch over the years and really like it. I'm now the proud owner of a Cyclone that's been in a family gameroom for the last 20 years or so; pretty dirty, but other than that, in great condition with some wear in the usual spots. Ramps are all intact, however, and everything works great. Very happy. I'll be sure to snap some pictures and post about it when I bring it home this week (had my beater car with me and couldn't take it last night). Thanks, everyone.

#14 11 years ago

Congrats on your first pin. Many more are sure to follow. I would suggest changing those batteries out in the back box and install a remote battery holder. Verify that all the fuses are the proper ones and get to cleaning that bad boy. Amazing what a difference new rubbers and a clean playfield can make. Have fun and welcome to the madness. BTW... we love pics!

#15 11 years ago

Good choice.... I like Cyclone better than any on your list

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

Congrats on your first pin. Many more are sure to follow. I would suggest changing those batteries out in the back box and install a remote battery holder. Verify that all the fuses are the proper ones and get to cleaning that bad boy. Amazing what a difference new rubbers and a clean playfield can make. Have fun and welcome to the madness. BTW... we love pics!

I already ordered a remote battery holder; I remember from reading here that leakage is a problem. I'm definitely going to have to play a couple games before I can take it apart and start cleaning though (or wait to get a second pin I can play in its stead).

#17 11 years ago

Anyone have any idea if a pin with a folded down backbox on the top will fit in a Jeep Grand Cherokee (height wise)?

#18 11 years ago

If you look on ipdb.org, there's probably a manual for it that gives it's overall dimensions. If not for that specific machine, then for one of it's system 11 brethren.

#19 11 years ago

Buy My high speed! $1250 with a very nice back glass $1000 with a worn back glass.

#20 11 years ago

Highspeed is 29 inches folded down, I was going to try to fit mine in a trailblazer but the trade fell through.

#21 11 years ago

I see you got a cyclone, congrats!

#22 11 years ago

Thanks, all. I'll take a look.

I haven't totally discounted your HS; just have to find the time to get down there. Not to sound cliche', but if it were closer, I'd buy it.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from parkway:

Anyone have any idea if a pin with a folded down backbox on the top will fit in a Jeep Grand Cherokee (height wise)?

Yes, I've hauled a million pins this way. It's awesome. Take out that black plastic mat if its in there and the pin will slide right in on the rails. So sweet in the winter

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from parkway:

Thanks, all. I'll take a look.
I haven't totally discounted your HS; just have to find the time to get down there. Not to sound cliche', but if it were closer, I'd buy it.

I can get it 100 Miles closer on thursday! You are right though thats a haul, I'm always willing to meet in the middle but that can be sketchy for the buyer as you can't really plug the machine in and play it properly.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from parkway:

Sure will... I've done it dozens of times.

Cyclone... best of the original list, and it wasn't even on it..

Congrats!
Kerry

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Yes, I've hauled a million pins this way. It's awesome. Take out that black plastic mat if its in there and the pin will slide right in on the rails. So sweet in the winter

Excellent. Sounds like a plan.

Quoted from Joshmx19:

I can get it 100 Miles closer on thursday! You are right though thats a haul, I'm always willing to meet in the middle but that can be sketchy for the buyer as you can't really plug the machine in and play it properly.

Can't Thursday; going to get my Cyclone that day actually. It's true too that not being able to plug it in is uncomfortable.

Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Sure will... I've done it dozens of times.
Cyclone... best of the original list, and it wasn't even on it..
Congrats!
Kerry

Thanks. I'm excited. It's also nice that it needs just enough work that I'll still have a solid machine "out of the box", but I'll get some good experience with cleaning, waxing, changing bulbs/rubber, etc. I also ordered This Old Pinball episode 7 which deals with another System 11 (Banzai Run), so I'll learn a thing or two about my machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 169.00
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-ready-to-pull-the-trigger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.