(Topic ID: 199009)

Getting PM's from people about downvotes?

By jgentry

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 284 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a3484c9f104a60000beaddf5a2ab87c0 (resized).jpg
star trek red shirt (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
old-man-yells-at-cloud (resized).jpg
Loser (resized).jpg
cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (resized).png
IMG_1943 (resized).JPG
BFE2811A-1ECE-41CB-B889-45382B163062 (resized).jpeg
Real Life Freddie Mercury (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
pin1 (resized).png
IMG_3483 (resized).JPG
image.jpg
IMG_3486 (resized).PNG
IMG_3484 (resized).JPG
a47 (resized).jpg

There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 6 years ago

Are a bunch of people getting PM's from people that they down vote or am I just the lucky one? Never really had this happen until a couple of months ago but now it seems like 1 out of 3 sends me some angry PM demanding that I explain my down vote. Or even worse, an angry PM explaining to me their life situation and why they posted what they did.

It's just a down vote people, it only means I disagree with you. I do not want to hear your background story, I do not need to explain to you my opinion, and I am not required to post a response in the thread so that you can respond. Stop being so sensitive. I probably up vote 10 posts for every one I down vote.

#2 6 years ago

Awaiting my angry pm.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Awaiting my angry pm.

You got some explaining to do my friend, lol

#4 6 years ago

Likely a byproduct of todays political climate.

#5 6 years ago

This has come up before. Some people see down votes as "I disagree with your comment", other people see it as a personal attack.

What I've seen happen more than once is when you down vote someone, they now have become YOUR ENEMY because they took it bad, and then down vote everything you write.

I've personally turned off the down vote option (it's a setting), because I find because people take it different ways, it isn't a workable solution, so might as well not be part of it.

Perhaps there is a way to reframe the votes system to something else that won't be so misunderstood.

#6 6 years ago

Imagine, a future where no one ever disagrees with you.

Only in a perfect world, right?

Nope!

You can make it happen right here and now, only on Pinside: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/settings#thumbs

In other words: Please use the features we've built to make your forum live more pleasant. Can't handle the thumbs down, just disable them.

Quoted from frolic:

Perhaps there is a way to reframe the votes system to something else that won't be so misunderstood.

I'm always open to suggestions. But I don't think there is a simple solution. Or is there?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Are a bunch of people getting PM's from people that they down vote or am I just the lucky one? Never really had this happen until a couple of months ago but now it seems like 1 out of 3 sends me some angry PM demanding that I explain my down vote. Or even worse, an angry PM explaining to me their life situation and why they posted what they did.
It's just a down vote people, it only means I disagree with you. I do not want to hear your background story, I do not need to explain to you my opinion, and I am not required to post a response in the thread so that you can respond. Stop being so sensitive. I probably up vote 10 posts for every one I down vote.

You are such a jerk. you are ruining these people's reputations.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Imagine, a future where no one ever disagrees with you.
Only in a perfect world, right?
Nope!
You can make it happen right here and now, only on Pinside: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/settings#thumbs
In other words: Please use the features we've built to make your forum live more pleasant. Can't handle the thumbs down, just disable them.

I'm always open to suggestions. But I don't think there is a simple solution. Or is there?

That's a great feature but unfortunately the people that are so obsessed about down votes that they need to PM people about them are not going to use it. They have to see that someone disagrees so they can have a reason to get upset.

Down votes do not bother me. If you disagree, hate my guts, whatever, down vote away. It's just funny to me that people actually think it matters and go to the extreme of PM'ing everyone that down votes them.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You got some explaining to do my friend, lol

look, i am in a bad place in my life right now! don't judge me! me ME ME ME ME ME ME! I AM SO OFFENDED!!!! I AM A SNOW FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

You are such a jerk. ? you are ruining these people's reputations.

And worst of all, I still do not explain to them why I down voted them in PM. Maybe I really am a jerk...

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

It's just funny to me that people actually think it matters

dude fake internet points. the foundation of reddit...

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

And worst of all, I still do not explain to them why I down voted them in PM. Maybe I really am a jerk...

I'm kidding man. For some reason it would not let put a emoji. Please don't down vote me.

#13 6 years ago

Don't forget the subset of people on here who care about how games are ranked. Top 10 etc. Lol. "This is so important to me!!!!"

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

I think this is the key issue. Everyone is cultivated now to chase internet points. Whether it's Likes, views, thumbs, whatever. It's like heroin for the brain, and its exploited by every social system. So, to that end, it's not surprising really that people have the harsh reactions to a thumbs down.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Don't forget the subset of people on here who care about how games are ranked. Top 10 etc. Lol. "This is so important to me!!!!"

Are you one of those people that knocked my game out of the top 10 with your bogus rating? Your hurting my investment man.... If I like this game that means it's not possible that you don't.

#16 6 years ago

Downvotes for everyone today!

#17 6 years ago

Good thread, about what has to be one of the stupidest things ever

I never even look to see whether a post of mine has been downvoted or upvoted. I do check back to see how the discussion has gone... since I look at this place as a hangout/discussion forum.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

I've been saving my internet points for a higher exchange rate for internet monies.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Downvotes for everyone today!

That really hurts, you're so getting a PM about this.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Are you one of those people that knocked my game out of the top 10 with your bogus rating? Your hurting my investment man.... If I like this game that means it's not possible that you don't.

This is someone's livelihood!! How dare!!!

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I think this is the key issue. Everyone is cultivated now to chase internet points. Whether it's Likes, views, thumbs, whatever. It's like heroin for the brain, and its exploited by every social system. So, to that end, it's not surprising really that people have the harsh reactions to a thumbs down.

I agree with this, but when did people become so fragile. Having a bunch of likes, views, thumbs, unless it is your job in social media it literally does nothing for you. If anything is separates you further from your family and from your actual success in life as you chase things that are not real and do not matter. I've yet to figure out a way to retire on thumbs or likes. If someone figures that out them I might have a reason to care.

#22 6 years ago

i got an infuriated one once from a well known guy. i still have it in my box, i just re-read it for a chuckle.

#23 6 years ago

Robin tried an alternate system at one point. But he didn't try the one I suggested -

Thumbs (resized).jpgThumbs (resized).jpg

#24 6 years ago

The reason thumbs/down up were added (many years ago) was to get rid of all the +1 posts. And in that respect, it really helped. But unfortunately, it created new problems too. I have often thought of removing it (and we even did for a short time) but it's something so many are accustomed too, it's hard to do away with. And so we made it an option. Did I mention that yet? You can find it here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/settings#thumbs

#25 6 years ago

I wish we could sort posts by thumbs up and down when looking at a topic.

#26 6 years ago

Damn, I feel left out. I have not received any PMs about my thumbs down....either Im not using enough thumbs down, or people here just dont give a shit about me not agreeing with them....

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Robin tried an alternate system at one point. But he didn't try the one I suggested -

I like this system a lot.

I would request that a double bird get added though for those times that we think the poster may be Kenada.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I'm used to getting PMs from people who think I suck.

Never in my life could I fathom being so annoyed by a post that I'd send someone a personal message to tell them how much I hate them, but hey it takes all kinds.

Just block them and move on. It's best for everyone.

And yes, you can turn off the thumbs deal, or just turn off giving and taking thumbs down like I did. Everything is cheery in my thumbland.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm used to getting PMs from people who think I suck.
Never in my life could I fathom being so annoyed by a post that I'd send someone a personal message to tell them how much I hate them, but hey it takes all kinds.
Just block them and move on. It's best for everyone.
And yes, you can turn off the thumbs deal, or just turn off giving and taking thumbs down like I did. Everything is cheery in my thumbland.

That's not it Just kidding. Totally agree with you on this one. Mind you i've never received hate mail before so I guess I haven't achieved CrazyLevi level mode yet.

#30 6 years ago

Dammit, now I have to spend the rest of my day sending PM's to bangerjay.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

That's not it Just kidding. Totally agree with you on this one. Mind you i've never received hate mail before so I guess I haven't achieved CrazyLevi level mode yet.

The best one I ever got was "Go shit on a sidewalk!!!!"

I sent a bitchy and nasty response but I gotta admit I was chuckling when I opened that one up.

#32 6 years ago

This place is getting kinda weird.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Dammit, now I have to spend the rest of my day sending PM's to bangerjay.

Careful.........he's a Pinside+ donator. You may get very "unusual" photos in your inbox.

#35 6 years ago

When I get thumbs downed I usually know why. I either said something that was disagreeable, or the person doing it is just an asshole. No big deal either way.

#36 6 years ago

Thumbs up/down is great

Maybe add an user option setting so users can make anonymous up/down votes. upset posters wont be able to PM or hassle them

#37 6 years ago

This place went downhill after we couldn’t post scantily clad women. That eliminated 50% of the reason I got out of bed in the morning.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from gtxjoe:

Maybe add an user option setting so users can make anonymous up/down votes. upset posters wont be able to PM or hassle them

Maybe it's as simple as this. Don't show who votes up/down.

Currently mods aren't shown when they take action on something, for the same reasons.

Maybe up/downs can be left as just a number, representing the "hive mind" of pinside.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

This place went downhill after we couldn’t post scantily clad women. That eliminated 50% of the reason I got out of bed in the morning.

Get out of bed.

07601363dd229bcbca73a953872bc9d4 (resized).jpg07601363dd229bcbca73a953872bc9d4 (resized).jpg

#40 6 years ago

You have the ability to manage the up/down vote system.
You have the ability to block people.
You have the ability to report threatening/scammeing pinsiders to the mods.

This...."I don't like it something so nobody else can" attitude these days is beyond ridiculous.

Safe_Space013.pngSafe_Space013.png

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Currently mods aren't shown when they take action on something, for the same reasons.
Maybe up/downs can be left as just a number, representing the "hive mind" of pinside.

That's a pretty good idea. A simple number box showing the perceived value of the post. +12 or -6.

Youtube has this type of system.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Then there's no accountability for who is placing the votes, and people will end up accusing each other of downvoting, and we'll end up with posts with people asking "hey, who downvoted me?" It's not a solution that works, and will cause more drama than it will solve, unfortunately.

#43 6 years ago

I would put every person that PMed you on ignore. I believe they cannot PM you if you are ignoring them.

I don't understand that behavior either. Just relax. People disagree. It's a very easy way to say I disagree with your post. No words are needed.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Then there's no accountability for who is placing the votes, and people will end up accusing each other of downvoting, and end up with posts with people asking "hey, who downvoted me?"

How about giving the poster asking "who downvoted me?" an automatic 5 hr ejection.

How are you defining "accountability & drama"? I think the OP is discussing PM drama as it is now.

#45 6 years ago

Or maybe, don't look at who down-voted you. Maybe don't look at those numbers at all, because they have zero impact on your life. I've never gone back to look at the votes on my posts; tough to imagine going to look at them, then looking at who did the voting and spending time writing to that person. Wow.

#46 6 years ago

I usually only down-vote responses that resemble something a 12-year old would say. There are quite a few on Pinside. My pet-peeve is when someone posts a pic of their NIB game (yay...excited), and someone responds saying 'the game sucks'. Silence would have been the more adult option, but sadly some people disregard 'good manners' on the internet. (IMHO)

#47 6 years ago

Some people really get their panties in a twist about things that don't matter. I find it amusing. Also a lot of times when I am downvoted it gives me a hearty laugh.

Seriously, I never understood why people take it so seriously. I also don't feel the need to drain a topic or block people. Theres some people around here who I really think are dum dums but never once have I thought about blocking them, because nobody makes me so mad that I need them out of my life. I'm a big boy I can act like an adult. People whos opinions differ than mine don't matter much either, I might respect your opinion, I might think you're an idiot for having that opinion, but I'll always agree that you are entitled to that opinion, so why get so upset about it? Sheesh! If I read something on here that somehow made me that mad, I'd just get off the internet and enjoy real life for a little bit.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Damn, I feel left out. I have not received any PMs about my thumbs down....either Im not using enough thumbs down, or people here just dont give a shit about me not agreeing with them....

in the words of bezzleboob "PM Sent"

#49 6 years ago

Yeah, I got some childish hate PM activity after down voting one person who posts quite a bit on here. Back then his playfield problem rants and whining in so many unrelated threads finally convinced me to give him my rare down vote. The PMs he sent were so immature, I still wonder if he might actually be a 10 year old posing as an adult.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

in the words of bezzleboob "PM Sent"

You f**ker!!! You just beat me to my own joke!

Hey, OP: There are a lot of insecure people around here. Don't let it bother you. But yeah...you've downvoted me in the past and it's hurt my feelings.

In the future, I think it would be better if people didn't take their beef to jgentry , but as per Pinside rules, opened up a moderation thread whenever you're offended by a downvote. That'll fix 'em.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 16.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-pms-from-people-about-downvotes?hl=scott_s and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.