(Topic ID: 199009)

Getting PM's from people about downvotes?

By jgentry

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 284 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a3484c9f104a60000beaddf5a2ab87c0 (resized).jpg
star trek red shirt (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
old-man-yells-at-cloud (resized).jpg
Loser (resized).jpg
cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (resized).png
IMG_1943 (resized).JPG
BFE2811A-1ECE-41CB-B889-45382B163062 (resized).jpeg
Real Life Freddie Mercury (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
pin1 (resized).png
IMG_3483 (resized).JPG
image.jpg
IMG_3486 (resized).PNG
IMG_3484 (resized).JPG
a47 (resized).jpg
There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 6 years ago

It is only a reflection of the world as it is now. Too many rats in the cage.

rats-trapped-cage (resized).jpgrats-trapped-cage (resized).jpg

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

But yeah...you've downvoted me in the past and it's hurt my feelings.

344335 (resized).png344335 (resized).png

#53 6 years ago

I would never respond to down votes but I do find them interesting. I don't know why the forum has them. It just makes it blatantly obvious there are a lot of crotchety dudes around here spreading their negativity. I try not to downvote anyone but I am sure I have before. Down votes just make me think of this.

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg

#54 6 years ago

Im going to take a knee on this one!

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im going to take a knee on this one!

Could you at least wait until you're in front of me?

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I would never respond to down votes but I do find them interesting. I don't know why the forum has them. It just makes it blatantly obvious there are a lot of crotchety dudes around here spreading their negativity. I try not to downvote anyone but I am sure I have before. Down votes just make me think of this.

The most annoying thing about the up/downvotes for me is it allows people to blatantly participate in prohibited topics, especially political discussions and crude insults, without consequence. Someone can post something saying Trump sucks or NFL players suck, and people can enthusiastically thumb it up and they can do so without fear of moderation. I've done it too - and why not? There's no risk and everybody else is doing it. But it's really not much worse than what the "offender" is doing, and it certainly stokes the prohibited discussion just as much as responding in a post does.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I usually only down-vote responses that resemble something a 12-year old would say.

I'm sure all the 12 year old pinball enthusiasts appreciate that.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I agree.... and they're a little cowardly. Upvotes are cool and give people an easy, efficient way to just say "ditto" when that's all that's needed. Down votes are cheap shots. A down vote should require a brief comment as to why. Or better yet, put it on the line with a post and explain yourself. And going anonymous altogether with down votes would be the worst of all solutions. Talk about your mob rule.

#59 6 years ago

Were these new Pinside members?

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm sure all the 12 year old pinball enthusiasts appreciate that.

And me.

#61 6 years ago

Up votes and down votes are good. If you have only upvote and not down votes you end up similar to Facebook where everything is 'likes'. If you can't handle being downvoted then just disable it

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The most annoying thing about the up/downvotes for me is it allows people to blatantly participate in prohibited topics, especially political discussions and crude insults, without consequence. Someone can post something saying Trump sucks or NFL players suck, and people can enthusiastically thumb it up and they can do so without fear of moderation. I've done it too - and why not? There's no risk and everybody else is doing it. But it's really not much worse than what the "offender" is doing, and it certainly stokes the prohibited discussion just as much as responding in a post does.

Thats my favorite part about it TBH

#63 6 years ago

Yes, I have had a couple of nut jobs become incredibly bent out of shape and PM me because I down voted their post.

I don't reply.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Yes, I have had a couple of nut jobs become incredibly bent out of shape and PM me because I down voted their post.
I don't reply.

You're going about it all wrong then.

What you do is respond and say "take me out for dinner and a beer and I will reconsider that thumbs down I gave you".

#65 6 years ago

If someone is really stalking you the best thing to do is start a Moderator Feedback thread. It is real easy and sometime they'll tell you some real crazy stories about the person.

ModFeedback (resized).jpgModFeedback (resized).jpg

#66 6 years ago

I like the up/down for one purpose only; when I am "behind" on a thread I can quickly find salient points by searching for green or red.

#67 6 years ago

I'm hovering around 80% right now which means 20% of you can shove it!

If i agreed with everyone and they agreed with me there would be something very wrong.

My down votes are badges of honor.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Imagine, a future where no one ever disagrees with you.
Only in a perfect world, right?
Nope!
You can make it happen right here and now, only on Pinside: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/settings#thumbs
In other words: Please use the features we've built to make your forum live more pleasant. Can't handle the thumbs down, just disable them.

I'm always open to suggestions. But I don't think there is a simple solution. Or is there?

Why not just get rid of the thumbs down all together and make it a better place?

I just disables seeing thumbs down so go crazy guys.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Why not just get rid of the thumbs down all together and make it a better place?

Stern might be offering you a job soon. They like that kind of thinking and attitude.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from robin:

The reason thumbs/down up were added (many years ago) was to get rid of all the +1 posts. And in that respect, it really helped. But unfortunately, it created new problems too. I have often thought of removing it (and we even did for a short time) but it's something so many are accustomed too, it's hard to do away with. And so we made it an option. Did I mention that yet? You can find it here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/settings#thumbs

Your system works...don't remove it. You can't embrace everyone's special needs.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I just disables seeing thumbs down so go crazy guys.

I bet your life is so much better now with safety blanket engaged lol

#72 6 years ago

Oh god here comes 20 straight sarcastic "safe space" and "triggering" posts from the usual suspects...

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I bet your life is so much better now with safety blanket engaged lol

While it may not be our preferred way of using pinside, I at least respect that someone knows that this bothers them and chooses to not let it be part of their life rather then obsess over it like many do.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

While it may not be our preferred way of using pinside, I at least respect that someone knows that this bothers them and chooses to not let it be part of their life rather then obsess over it like many do.

I know and I agree, my comment was meant to be a lighthearted rib

#75 6 years ago

This is an interesting topic.
I've also been contacted by a few Pinsiders about down-voting asking for me to explain why the down-vote.
It's odd as I then instantly feel bad that I've possibly hurt someone's feelings over my simply just not agreeing with their sentiments on that topic.
I've received some down-votes of which I never quite understood (particularly of when I post a picture of a new pin addition); but I have never thought of PMing the Down-voter to explain why.
In any case, there's much which is good about Pinside and it can be a very helpful forum.

#76 6 years ago

For me, the voting system lets me skim through large threads pretty easily. I scroll through, and stop to read the green ones since they'll usually contain either the answer to the question I'm looking for, or some useful bit of information regarding the topic. Kinda like the key posts, but it helps me follow along a little better since not all threads are keyed.

Same goes for red. It's fun just to see what someone could've possibly said to deserve such a dark red pop bumper cap. At the end of the day though, upvotes, downvotes, leftvotes, rightvotes, diagonalvotes, who cares. We're all gonna die someday anyway. Might as well ignore it and play more pinball.

#77 6 years ago

I don’t think anyone has the guts to downvote this.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm used to getting PMs from people who think I suck.
Never in my life could I fathom being so annoyed by a post that I'd send someone a personal message to tell them how much I hate them, but hey it takes all kinds.
Just block them and move on. It's best for everyone.
And yes, you can turn off the thumbs deal, or just turn off giving and taking thumbs down like I did. Everything is cheery in my thumbland.

+ 1000 thumbs up

Ignore feature is fantastic

Cornelius is back under a different name

Some people go through life with a chip on their shoulder

Some people need to lighten the F up

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Trumps players suck

Quoted from flynnibus:

Your system works...don't remove it. You can't embrace everyone's special needs.

jgentry, he just called you special needs

Quoted from Rascal_H:

I don’t think anyone has the guts to downvote this.

Challenge accepted. Down vote engaged

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Trumps players suck

jgentry, he just called you special needs

Challenge accepted. Down vote engaged

Touché... but I know you wouldn’t do it again!

#81 6 years ago

Just looked, I have 3,879 downvotes over the last 6 yrs

Damn I have a lot of PMs to go back and write

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Just looked, I have 3,879 downvotes over the last 6 yrs
Damn I have a lot of PMs to go back and write

3,878 due to your excessive Stern nut swinging. One rogue down vote

#83 6 years ago

I recently posted something I thought was humorous and received a bunch of thumbs down for it and I just laughed. The thumbs up and thumbs down is part of free speech, people have a right to voice their opinion and others have the right to agree or disagree with it. If people can't handle a thumbs down they sure as hell shouldn't be on this site. Plus it saves a bunch of posts from people saying 'you're a moron and you don't know what you're talking about'. Well, it saves a few of those posts...

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

dude fake internet points. the foundation of reddit...

Quoted from frolic:

I think this is the key issue. Everyone is cultivated now to chase internet points. Whether it's Likes, views, thumbs, whatever.

Maybe for the younger generations but I don't think that's a massive thing here...yet. I don't do any redditing and the shit bags that PM me their sob story aboot me downvoting them seem genuinely tearfull aboot it.
Ha actually some of them are nice but whatever. I chalk it up to the standard people valuing their own opinions more than anyone elses.

#85 6 years ago

Just tell the tools you will take a knee for them
Stupid snowflakes

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Stupid snowflakes

.....on both sides....both sides......"

#87 6 years ago

Thumbs up jgentry. Ridiculous that pinsiders would PM you for that. . . WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

tu (resized).jpgtu (resized).jpg

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from robin:

The reason thumbs/down up were added (many years ago) was to get rid of all the +1 posts. And in that respect, it really helped. But unfortunately, it created new problems too. I have often thought of removing it (and we even did for a short time) but it's something so many are accustomed too, it's hard to do away with. And so we made it an option. Did I mention that yet? You can find it here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/settings#thumbs

+1

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Stupid snowflakes

Right on cue

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It just makes it blatantly obvious there are a lot of crotchety dudes around here spreading their negativity.

You'd be amazed to know that you don't have to be an old man to find something someone says completely stupid. For instance...when you made a cargument in that thread and I downvoted you. It was because carguments are dumb, and people that use them are usually not that bright and out of touch with the world. Actually...I forget what thread that was somethting aboot programming? Anyway you made a lot of dumb points (it's OK i have a ton of dumb points). And as people kept pointing out how dumb they were you kept making newer, dumber ones. Dumpster fire city.
Anyway, I guess I should have just downvoted your this post instead of going in to detail aboot how dumb some of your posts are to me but I try not to use them.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

+ 1000 thumbs up
Ignore feature is fantastic
Cornelius is back under a different name
Some people go through life with a chip on their shoulder
Some people need to lighten the F up

Corny's back?

I doubt it. He'd out himself in about 10 minutes. There's only one Cornelius!

#92 6 years ago

lol thread of the month on pinside I just randomly voted up and down a bunch of posts

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Corny's back?
I doubt it. He'd out himself in about 10 minutes. There's only one Cornelius!

Now THAT's a guy that could PM you aboot downvotes.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You'd be amazed to know that you don't have to be an old man to find something someone says completely stupid. For instance...when you made a cargument in that thread and I downvoted you. It was because carguments are dumb, and people that use them are usually not that bright and out of touch with the world. Actually...I forget what thread that was somethting aboot programming? Anyway you made a lot of dumb points (it's OK i have a ton of dumb points). And as people kept pointing out how dumb they were you kept making newer, dumber ones. Dumpster fire city.
Anyway, I guess I should have just downvoted your this post instead of going in to detail aboot how dumb some of your posts are to me but I try not to use them.

I actually specifically used the term dude and not "old man" in my post. Yet here you are with the negativity and aggression. You basically make my case. No idea what is up your arse today.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I actually specifically used the term dude and not "old man" in my post. Yet here you are with the negativity and aggression. You basically make my case. No idea what is up your arse today.

A thumb.

#96 6 years ago

Oh yeah, I get lots of thumbs down(which mostly make me laugh) and have given thumbs down. I have also been given the 3rd degree in PM as to why I have thumbed someone down. Quite frankly, if you are that thin skinned and insecure that you have to question a Pinside thumbs down by PM, you should LEAVE Pinside. Hell, you should leave the internet. Ask me in the same thread thread why I did it, I may decide to give you answer. At least it will be honest, but you might not like it.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I actually specifically used the term dude and not "old man" in my post.

You know I'm not very good at reading entire posts. I also don't think you really get the jist of your own.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

I'm hovering around 80% right now which means 20% of you can shove it!
If i agreed with everyone and they agreed with me there would be something very wrong.
My down votes are badges of honor.

I just honored you. Feel free to do the same.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Now THAT's a guy that could PM you aboot downvotes.

What do you mean could? He did, and did it to several here. Myself included.

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

What do you mean could? He did, and did it to several here. Myself included.

What he really hated most was the old white rich echo chamber I lived in. Even though I was younger & made less monies then him, and disagree with most people on this site.
Man those were the glory days of Pinside.

There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-pms-from-people-about-downvotes/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.