(Topic ID: 189861)

Getting Pin into Basement

By kid_ego

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

macgyver (resized).jpg
    IMG_6148 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7473 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7476 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7475 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7461 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0364 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6113 (resized).JPG
    51691502416__45B74EE1-17CA-478F-921B-205606B7D1E3 (resized).JPG
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I have a LOTR coming tomorrow morning via STI (wrapped with the legs on).

The seller said I should offer the guys who deliver it some cash to take it into my basement, but how would that work?

With the legs on, it's too wide for my doorways. And I can't imagine they're going to wait around while I take the legs off, set it down, and then need to put it on a hand-cart (if they even have one).

I really need a house with a walk-out basement.

51691502416__45B74EE1-17CA-478F-921B-205606B7D1E3 (resized).JPG51691502416__45B74EE1-17CA-478F-921B-205606B7D1E3 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

How is taking the legs off going to make it fit through narrow doors?

#3 6 years ago

If the legs won't fit then the head DEFINITELY won't fit.

Signed: guy with narrow basement doors.

#4 6 years ago

How wide is your doorway? If it's 30" you're probably okay.

#5 6 years ago

Are your other 3 pins in the basement? How did you get them there?

Personally, I wouldn't expect the delivery guys to wait around, nor even to help me move a game into a basement period. If you have pins and a basement, buy your own appliance dolly. You can get a decent one with stair treads for about $100. Do you have friends or neighbors that you could ask for help?

#6 6 years ago

Sorry, guys. Sometimes in a rush to ask a question, I don't think things through.

Haven't even measured but assumed the back legs were wider in 'spread' at the bottom than the width of the head. Simply my ignorance if that's not the case.

Either way, the 'turn' at the bottom of the stairs won't allow the legs to be on when it's taken down, I don't think (area at bottom of stairs between last stair and wall).

It's been a few years since a pin went into my basement (I've sold pins that others have taken out), and I don't remember if they went up/down turned to the side or not.

Bottom line is I need to buy a hand-cart/appliance dolly...and hope the neighbor's neck is feeling better.

#7 6 years ago

Basement door is 30", but little trim pieces inside opening against which the door stops brings it down closer to 29".

IMG_6113 (resized).JPGIMG_6113 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago

Do u have a power drill? I can take legs off a machine in minutes.

#9 6 years ago

I have this same issue. Typically, I have found moving with legs on is easier (without legs, it becomes much harder to take a break and rest). Also, I have 30 inch doors, but remove the doors every time for moving (popping the pins out of the hinges works best for me).

Just had my house custom built. Really kicking myself for the 30 inch doors and curved basement staircase.

#10 6 years ago

I think that could be kind of easily done.

1. Fold the head down secure it to the cab with a strap, take legs off, lay on a blanket.
    2. Drag to top of the stairs with the head pointing towards the stairs. Seeing how the stairs are carpeted with someone at the bottom of the pin, should be able to drag it so gravity will carry the wait of the head and angle it down the stairs.
    3. Control its descent down the stairs. Get it to the bottom, stand it on its end, rotate and slide dolly underneath it wheel into position. Put the legs back on, you're in business.

This is of course if there's enough clearance at the bottom of the stairs to stand it upright. I would most definetly not try to move it with the legs on.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bigbossfan:

1. Fold the head down secure it to the cab with a strap, take legs off, lay on a blanket.
    2. Drag to top of the stairs with the head pointing towards the stairs. Seeing how the stairs are carpeted with someone at the bottom of the pin, should be able to drag it so gravity will carry the wait of the head and angle it down the stairs.
    3. Control its descent down the stairs. Get it to the bottom, stand it on its end, rotate and slide dolly underneath it wheel into position. Put the legs back on, you're in business.
    This is of course if there's enough clearance at the bottom of the stairs to stand it upright. I would most definetly not try to move it with the legs on.

This is exaclty how I move my pins to the basement. I had to take the door off the hindges for my T2, but that takes all of 5 seconds to do with a hammer and small screwdriver.

#12 6 years ago

I have it harder than that. I have a full turn landing and the top doorway butts up to a hallway wall. I have to take legs and heads off all my games to get them down, and there is no room at the landing for a dolly to fit.

#13 6 years ago

Did anyone else think the last picture kid_ego posted (post #7) was going to be something else? I slowly scrolled down and only saw the top of the picture at first. The man cave sign was kind of fitting. Man my head must be in a bad spot.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

Basement door is 30", but little trim pieces inside opening against which the door stops brings it down closer to 29".

I had a similar setup,
    Just remember that doors come off, hinges come off, that little strip inside the door frame also comes off without too much difficulty. If you use a paint scraper or such to carefully pry it off, you can often put it right back on later using the same nails and holes. That railing can come off, etc.

Good luck getting it down!!!

#15 6 years ago

To answer your original question, no I don't think your movers are going to deal with that. Too much time, energy and risk of damage.

I have a walk-in basement with a small incline. I usually tip them $20 to set the machine close to where I want it. They seem appreciative, but it's easy and only an additional 30 feet.

#16 6 years ago

It looks like the clearance to the wall at the bottom of the stairs might make it tough to turn. My setup is similar, but I have 90* turn at the top as well. I had to lift the machine over the half wall like you have to make the turn at the bottom.

I found a pretty unique solution.. I have full crank windows in my basement. I bought a high lift cart that gets to window height for about 300. I bought a convertible hand truck that I lay down outside. I crank the machine up to window height, and slide it off moving blankets and onto the hand truck. I can actually do it by myself, and it's a lot safer than trying to navigate stairs. Moving is still tedious, but not anywhere near as bad as before. I can try to get some pictures to better illustrate what I'm talking about the next time I move..

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Ya pretty much agree.

Take your door off the hinges.

I would bring the machine back end first, so you could tip it right up on its "butt" end at the end of the stairs, twist it 90 degrees and finish bringing it down the stairs.

I have to do this at my friends house, uffda, it is tight any annoying but worth it! ONly is like 15 minutes of pita.

#18 6 years ago

Take legs off and wrap cardboard all the way around it. Put a ratchet strap around the cardboard to hold it. Then you can drag it to the edge to the stairs and let it tetter over and slide it slowly down till it hits the bottom step.

Then if needed tip it on its back and pivot it around till you can bring it out the rest of the way.

That how I get all my pins in the basement myself

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Take legs off and wrap cardboard all the way around it. Put a ratchet strap around the cardboard to hold it. Then you can drag it to the edge to the stairs and let it tetter over and slide it slowly down till it hits the bottom step.
    Then if needed tip it on its back and pivot it around till you can bring it out the rest of the way.
    That how I get all my pins in the basement myself

I do them this way as well. Works like a charm so long as you don't slip. If you do, you have a freight train on top of you....kind of like dating Rosanne Barr.........

#20 6 years ago

I stand it up at the top of the stairs and my brother in law and I get on the stairs and tilt it towards us----there's a couple anxious seconds when you go past the point of no return and just hope neither one of us slips! Once the machine is on the stairs, it slides easily; kind of a controlled crash. First time we did it, I kept thinking my wife would come home to find us underneath the pinball machine....lol

Next house will have a walk out OR the pins go in the Living Room!

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

The seller said I should offer the guys who deliver it some cash to take it into my basement, but how would that work?

Wear something flirty and unbuttoned that threatens to slip off either breast at your slightest movement.

Giggle at everything they say, before they even finish their sentences.

Let them know your husband usually moves them but he won't be home from his trip until tomorrow.

That thing will be downstairs before you can blink.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Wear something flirty and unbuttoned that threatens to slip off either breast at your slightest movement.
    Giggle at everything they say, before they even finish their sentences.
    Let them know your husband usually moves them but he won't be home from his trip until tomorrow.
    That thing will be downstairs before you can blink.

The hole in your plan is that I'm a dude, and I really don't have anything flirty to wear anyway.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

If the legs won't fit then the head DEFINITELY won't fit.
    Signed: guy with narrow basement doors.

I know Gorilla Biscuits doorway first hand. Yes it is narrow.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

The hole in your plan is that I'm a dude, and I really don't have anything flirty to wear anyway.

He may not be wrong. In 2017 you never know!

#25 6 years ago

LMAO! This thread went sideways!

Taking the head off isn't so difficult for Sterns or really any of them. Mark connectors and take some pictures. Not that I suggest this, but I have navigated the main body myself up and down with a hand truck this way.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from wiggy07:

I know Gorilla Biscuits doorway first hand. Yes it is narrow.

OP your basement door/stairs look like a dream to me! I would literally kill somebody to have that.

If you're still concerned I highly recommend you fly in Wiggy, all expenses paid, to help you out. He's like that guy from Oceans 11 that can squeeze into super small spaces.

Honestly though, just spend $100 on a dolly with the stair brace attachment and a couple straps and you'll be all set

Best of luck getting your LOTR in, that was actually one of the games Lee helped me with, it's amazing!

#27 6 years ago

I've delivered pins up spiral staircases in those 60s condos.

Take head off, take playfield out, and make 5 trips all by yourself.

Sucks, but totally doable.

(Id still offer the guys $100 to carry it down the stairs for you. Have a cordless screwgun ready with the proper size nutdriver installed).

#28 6 years ago

I agree with Gorilla, this is easy peasy. Take off legs, slide it down the stairs on carboard or similar.

edit: also grats on the pin!

#29 6 years ago

Check this shit out! Old house, everything had to either go up stairs or down stairs. New house, 2 small steps up into a nice wide front door right into my large game room, easy dreamy :-p

IMG_0364 (resized).JPGIMG_0364 (resized).JPG

#30 6 years ago

I'll tell you what, when you start buying EMs it's a very good feeling. 1 person cake walk.

#31 6 years ago

I've damaged pins sliding down stairs. Plus I wouldn't f around with potentially losing control of it or put anyone in danger on the bottom side -- 250lbs falling on someone could be pretty serious. But I admit my stairs are wooden, not carpeted.

Stern head should be 28" almost exactly, slightly over. Door probably will need to come off, I take my rail off too for extra room. It's so much safer and just as easy on a dolly.. strap head to cab, strap game to dolly. 1 person on bottom controlling and 1 up top with the handle.

#32 6 years ago

Anybody have this dolly (or one similar)?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIWZ50Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

Probably worth the $$$ if I'm gonna add more pins soon.

#33 6 years ago

with a dolly, that staircase will be no problem. if the basement door doesn't open a full 180 degrees, you might have to take it off the hinges to get the game through, but other than that, it's a one-man job (although two makes it much faster and less taxing).

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

amazon.com link »

I have one like that. In my old house which had stairs like yours I'd use that to "slide" it down. I'd just stand in front of it and brace it as it rolled. It was kind of stupid. I don't recommend doing it alone. With 2, you'd be fine.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

amazon.com link »

Get this. Way cheaper and does great taking stuff through yards.

https://m.harborfreight.com/700-lb-capacity-bigfoot-hand-truck-62900.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

amazon.com link »

Screw that noise. Get an Escalera from Larry at Flippin' Out.

#37 6 years ago

Thanks for the website. I think I want one with stair climbers, and this one doesn't seem to bad (and is in stock semi-local to me):

https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-appliance-hand-truck-60520.html

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

Thanks for the website. I think I want one with stair climbers, and this one doesn't seem to bad (and is in stock semi-local to me):
    https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-appliance-hand-truck-60520.html

Yeah this will work too but don't need stair climbers to go down the steps. Haha. But will help for going back up the steps when you move a game out. Seems like you're short on time so if you have a Home Depot or harbor freight near ya, should have plenty of options for you to see first hand.

#39 6 years ago

If you're having trouble getting the pin down there, how are you going to ever get it back out?

#40 6 years ago

wish I had a basement, really wish I had LOTR. good luck

#41 6 years ago

Every time I see a thread like this I thank my lucky stars that I have an exposed basement. I think your best bet is the dolly technique.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darkwing:

If you're having trouble getting the pin down there, how are you going to ever get it back out?

LOTR is my wife's 'grail' pin, so I don't see this one ever leaving...unless we get sick of northern IL weather and move to TX.

Quoted from hocuslocus:

wish I had a basement, really wish I had LOTR. good luck

Thanks! I'm looking forward to playing it. Have never even played a LOTR.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Every time I see a thread like this I thank my lucky stars that I have an exposed basement. I think your best bet is the dolly technique.

I hear ya. If we ever move, it's gonna be a walk-out basement all the way!

#44 6 years ago

I told my real estate agent not to show me any house that did not have a straight stairway to the basement; just a straight shot from the outside door, down the stairs.

No turns, no landings, no dogleg once you enter the house.....

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Take head off, take playfield out, and make 5 trips all by yourself.
    Sucks, but totally doable.

All my EMs are upstairs. I've had to do this more than a few times.

#46 6 years ago

Here's what I use. Stevens magnesium dolly. I've had mine since 1982 and have literally moved over 3000 games with it. Weighs only 43 lbs. Built like a tank. Ratcheting strap. Stair climbers. Automatic retractable strap. Trust me on this one.
    Mine was half this price when I bought it but so was everything else. Might be able to find one cheaper.

https://www.newhaven-usa.com/product/11/S-MRT/STEVENS-MAGNESIUM-APPLIANCE-HAND-TRUCK

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

amazon.com link »

I have that dolly (actually the one that's rated for up to 600 lbs). It is worth EVERY penny, even if you're only moving ONE pin. I've moved 2 pins without a dolly, and about 5 with it. Get it, get it, get it.

The Magnesium hand truck that Dennisdodel posted is definitely way lighter (Magnesium is amazing) but it's so much more expensive I'm not sure you'll notice the difference unless you're moving thousands of games like he did

#48 6 years ago

Just used me Escalera for the first time last night. Found it on Craigslist for 750 but had to put a new motor, belt , battery and charger in it. Took apart and re did gearbox and cleaned whole truck. Total of 970 with big wheel attachment

All I can say is ...... why the hell did I not get one of these sooner

IMG_7461 (resized).JPGIMG_7461 (resized).JPG

IMG_7475 (resized).JPGIMG_7475 (resized).JPG

IMG_7476 (resized).JPGIMG_7476 (resized).JPG

IMG_7473 (resized).JPGIMG_7473 (resized).JPG

#49 6 years ago

Just to close the loop on this:

I got tired of waiting on my neighbor to have time to help me (game sat in my garage for three agonizing days over a holiday weekend), so I brought the game in the house this morning strapped to the dolly I bought at Harbor Freight.

Then I popped the basement door off and removed the handrail.

Tipped the pin down onto a blanket, pulled it toward me, and slid it toward me and down the basement steps very slowly.

I think I'm ready for some more now that I did it on my own!

Thanks again to all for the replies and helpful advice!

IMG_6148 (resized).JPGIMG_6148 (resized).JPG

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

Just to close the loop on this:
    I got tired of waiting on my neighbor to have time to help me (game sat in my garage for three agonizing days over a holiday weekend), so I brought the game in the house this morning strapped to the dolly I bought at Harbor Freight.
    Then I popped the basement door off and removed the handrail.
    Tipped the pin down onto a blanket, pulled it toward me, and slid it toward me and down the basement steps very slowly.
    I think I'm ready for some more now that I did it on my own!
    Thanks again to all for the replies and helpful advice!

I knew it would work!!!

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-pin-into-basement?hl=jlebowski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.