(Topic ID: 297963)

Getting over a sliding door threshold

By huo

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A15B6DD9-4A69-4B96-B64C-E76F1D497BA8 (resized).jpeg
    06477F9C-AC7A-4E4A-844D-F1AFD702B224 (resized).jpeg
    E4C18418-E4CC-4330-9890-28D0E7E67E8C (resized).jpeg
    25295155-D2EC-4502-BEE6-BD6695100561 (resized).jpeg
    970AF48F-A2A6-4319-BD71-30A1A25A3F96 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Ive improved my process for getting games in and out of my house. But theres one spot that could be better. My sliding door threshold to get into my arcade takes bumps causing the door to not shut well afterwards. I have to bend the metal with a wrench to get it to shut right.

I had picked up a one step furniture ramp for a previous issue. I was wondering if anything like that is made for getting over a bump? If I use a harbor freight cart with the pinball legs still on, it definitely bends the threshold. If I have it on a dolly, it might not damage it. Ideally, I’d like both methods to work without damaging the threshold. Its also kind of difficult to move the harbor freight cart over the threshold bump with a pin on it.

Is there any tricks to an issue like this or a product that takes care of this problem?

25295155-D2EC-4502-BEE6-BD6695100561 (resized).jpeg25295155-D2EC-4502-BEE6-BD6695100561 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago
    Quoted from huo:

Is there any tricks to an issue like this or a product that takes care of this problem?

Beer & a friend.... (Food & a friend works usually just as good)

I’d recommend having a friend help you lift it & give them a six pack for helping you. Indiana & Sallah style over the threshold...
    970AF48F-A2A6-4319-BD71-30A1A25A3F96 (resized).jpeg970AF48F-A2A6-4319-BD71-30A1A25A3F96 (resized).jpeg

On amazon / Home Depot they sell this:

“EZ-Access Transitions Modular Aluminum Entry Ramp”

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ULAZQQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_BEFKSBDR1M4QSE55Q2C3
    E4C18418-E4CC-4330-9890-28D0E7E67E8C (resized).jpegE4C18418-E4CC-4330-9890-28D0E7E67E8C (resized).jpeg

#3 2 years ago

You started a thread on how to lift something heavy over a bump? Seriously ??? Give me a break.

#4 2 years ago

I have some boards cut the width of the door. They are different thicknesses and widths. I stack them to make a small ramp. This eliminated the side load on the threshold.
    PS- I think it is a totally valid question you are asking.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

You started a thread on how to lift something heavy over a bump? Seriously ??? Give me a break.

I move games in and out regularly with a tractor. The bumps caused me some grief, trying to simplify it. Rain on your parade.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

Beer & a friend.... (Food & a friend works usually just as good)
    I’d recommended having a friend help you lift it & give them a six pack for helping you. Indiana & Sallah style over the threshold...

This is the only spot where I’d need someone else. The rest is a 1 man show.

That ramp might do the trick?

#7 2 years ago

Heres a recent scenario.

06477F9C-AC7A-4E4A-844D-F1AFD702B224 (resized).jpeg06477F9C-AC7A-4E4A-844D-F1AFD702B224 (resized).jpegA15B6DD9-4A69-4B96-B64C-E76F1D497BA8 (resized).jpegA15B6DD9-4A69-4B96-B64C-E76F1D497BA8 (resized).jpeg
    #8 2 years ago

Very good question and one I too struggled with at first at my old house with sliding glass doors. I ended up cutting filler strips of hardwood Oak that were just a little higher then highest ridge on the track. This includes one strip in front of the inside ridge. Then use a few more boards at different thickness to taper off like a ramp. Same as what @ryan1234. You can buy them in different thickness and sizes at just about any hardware store. Then have a piece of plate steel I heated and bent go on top of this. You don't want to make it just enough to make a speed bump. You want to stretch it out to about 1.5 feet on both sides. It's a bit of work but once you are done you will always have it. I have a large collection and went through a lot of games so was worth taking the time to make it right. PS I also move my games by myself so easier the better. At my new house I have an regular entrance door. Ending up just cementing a small ramp in front of the door. Forgot to say I also cut the wall out to put in a 36" door. The 32" door was too narrow.
    Another way would be to build a cart with inflated wheels to go under your pinball lift. The inflated wheels go over stuff better then the hard wheels on the lift does.

#9 2 years ago

I have always just lifted the front two wheels over the threshold, pull the cart forward then lift the back two wheels. Never an issue with damage to the door track.

#10 2 years ago

Build a mini ramp or a ramp for either side. I made a ramp for a 1 step drop into my storage, eliminating the need for a helper.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

I have always just lifted the front two wheels over the threshold, pull the cart forward then lift the back two wheels. Never an issue with damage to the door track.

Exactly!

#12 2 years ago

I'm jealous at how easy you have it. Getting games into my home involves removing the head, and navigating a very tight, steep stairwell. And that's after removing the doors, door trim, stairway railing, etc. It requires 2 strong people, and the person on the bottom is literally holding more than half of the weight of the game for the entire journey down the stairwell. It's brutal.

#13 2 years ago

Would pneumatic wheels be an option?

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

Shouldn't you be busy making horrendously ugly, overpriced shooter knobs?

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I ended up cutting filler strips of hardwood Oak that were just a little higher then highest ridge on the track. This includes one strip in front of the inside ridge.

Yeah, or maybe even a dowel between the threshold and the center track?

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from huo:

That ramp might do the trick?

That or a small aluminum dock plate.

LTG : )

#17 2 years ago

For God's sake, put a rug on the concrete and move the pin to the threshold, place silicone furniture sliders under the farthest away legs and lift the closet legs over the threshold, place sliders under those legs and lift the legs outside the house over the threshold, voila-5 minutes and done.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from huo:

Heres a recent scenario.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Buy a proper pinball cart, put the big rubber wheels on it, found in one of the Wico Cart threads, boom. Cart goes over EVERYTHING, all terrain!

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Buy a proper pinball cart, put the big rubber wheels on it, found in one of the Wico Cart threads, boom. Cart goes over EVERYTHING, all terrain!

It isn't the going over that is the problem. It's the damage done to the threshold going over. It bends into an unusable door sliding shape easily.

#20 2 years ago

Looking like someone’s trying out their brand new Kubota. Nice choice, you’ll love the enclosed cab.

#21 2 years ago

Cut a strip if wood the size of the channel and drop it in place prior to moving games. It should be about same height if not a bit higher.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It isn't the going over that is the problem. It's the damage done to the threshold going over. It bends into an unusable door sliding shape easily.

With the big rubber wheels it won’t bend, the wheel will flex over the threshold unlike the tiny hard wheels now.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-over-a-sliding-door-threshold and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.