20190316_001323 (resized).jpg
DSCF6151 (resized).JPG
DSCF6148 (resized).JPG
Facetted post (resized).jpg
20190308_202652 (resized).jpg
20190308_202615 (resized).jpg
72B6B140-873D-4CAE-B7F9-019673003CA1 (resized).jpeg
i3MK3S_Kit (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rambo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#231 5 years ago

Oooo... 3D printing, my specialty! I have a Prusa MK2, but I have the "MK2.5" upgrade kit in a box, I just haven't gotten around to upgrading it yet.

While the Prusa is expensive, it's hands down the best FDM printer I've used for the money, and I'd say it's better value than far more expensive competitors like the Lulzbot Taz or the Ultimaker machines, which I use at work. Don't even get me started on MakerBot...

PLA really isn't ideal for high impact environments like posts and such for pinball machines. It's probably fine for various toys and decor out of the line of fire, but for parts that take a beating, I recommend printing with ABS or even better, nylon.

My go-to print material is PETG, which prints just about as easily as PLA, but is far stronger (same plastic as soft drink bottles). However, in printed form, it's relatively brittle, so a more flexible material like ABS or nylon should hold up in a pinball environment a lot better.

If anyone needs something printed or reverse-engineered, I'd be happy to either make you a CAD file, print a part, or both. I use Fusion 360 at home, so I could either sent you the raw Fusion file to mess with later, or just the STL to send to your printer.

#238 5 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I've been looking for a 1-3/16" Gottlieb double post STL but have been unable to find it - C17492C is the Gottlieb part number.
I believe I have found a single post, and attached is the SOLIDWORKS file for it
TIA

I wouldn't call myself a hoopy frood, but I can take a swing at it. What is the hole spacing between the posts? I used 0.5" for now, but can change it.
I couldn't get the faceted post to open in Fusion 360, but I did get the star post to work, and made this.

I uploaded the draft file here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3486130

The STL file is there, as well as a STEP file for editing in other programs.
Facetted post (resized).jpgFacetted post (resized).jpg

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Tantrum, do you have any experience with the newer metal-embedded filaments? Are they mainly just for show, or do they exhibit higher tensile strength than regular filament?

I do. They're purely decorative, and take a ton of post-processing work (like tumbling or bead blasting) to actually look good.

It's just PLA with metal dust in it. It's hard on your nozzle (I ruined two steel nozzles trying to get CopperFill to work on my printer), the print quality isn't great (lots of stringing for me, which never happens on normal PLA), and it's no stronger (actually probably weaker) than pure PLA.

For a metallic look, you're better off spray painting your part, IMO.

If anyone wants a roll of CopperFill for free, you're welcome to PM me for it, just pay shipping. It's this stuff: https://www.matterhackers.com/store/3d-printer-filament/colorfabb-copperfill-metal-filament-1.75mm-075-kg

I only used for a couple of Benchys, before swearing I'll never touch the metal fill materials again.

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I am really tempted, but I don’t have a way to post-process and I would need to buy a ruby tipped nozzle. Very generous of you, however.

Honestly, even the hardened steel nozzles jammed with it, so for just playing around, you're better off running a cheap brass nozzle until it jams, then toss it.
Ruby nozzles aren't worth it unless you solely print in highly-abrasive materials, and have a robust cleaning method for keeping them clear.

Steel wool was the most effective way of post-processing the metal materials I found. I did try tumbling them in brass polishing media, and it didn't do much.

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I'm powering my pi this way from the Ender 3 and I get the lightning bolt for under voltage. Voltage measures fine though, any thoughts?
Also, I'd like to see some pics of the lights you did, I've been thinking about adding some for the camera.

RPis need 2.5 amp power supplies to work consistently. My guess is your stepdown transformer can't put out enough current.

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

I'd like to try printing nylon but I have a few questions. Is it considered abrasive, do I need a hardened nozzle for it? Does anyone have any recommendations for a good brand?

Have you considered PETG? You'll get the majority of the mechanical benefits of nylon, but is much easier to print with, and isn't as hydrophilic as nylon (won't require constant drying).

I have printed PETG parts in use outside as nozzles for my water feature, and they've withstood sun, heat, cold, constant water pressure, etc. I also use it for brackets that see constant mechanical impacts, and it's never let me down. PETG also tends to be quite a bit cheaper than nylon in most cases.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rambo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-my-feet-wet-with-3d-printing?tu=rambo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.