20190316_001323 (resized).jpg
DSCF6151 (resized).JPG
DSCF6148 (resized).JPG
Facetted post (resized).jpg
20190308_202652 (resized).jpg
20190308_202615 (resized).jpg
72B6B140-873D-4CAE-B7F9-019673003CA1 (resized).jpeg
i3MK3S_Kit (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#80 5 years ago

I am happy to entertain 3D design and/or printing. You can see some of my work here, pinball related or otherwise:

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=Mr_tantrum&dwh=395c31a16f58293

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-comet-coaster

http://www.thezumwaltfamily.com/getawaypinball/getawayitems.htm

FYI, my primary tools are Tinkercad and may Prusa i3 MK3. I primarily work with PLA but have other filaments. Also, I have a varity if brands but prefer Prusa, 3D Solutech, and Hatchbox.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You can get an Ender 3 for around $175 from places like Banggood. It's a good starter printer. Once you know if you like it, I have nothing but good things to say about the PRUSA i3Mk3, but it's almost 4x as much money.

I used a budget friendly Wanhau i3 for a few months, and really learned the ropes of 3D printing on it. It was a good unit that performed well. However, I had some extra money from projects that had sold, so I decided to purchase a Prusa MK3. Without writing a full review, I will tell you that the differences are significant, and that the Prusa shines in multiple areas like no other printer. I purchased the kit (took about 8 hours to build), and with shipping the unit was around $800. Was it worth it - to me, absolutely. However, if just getting into the hobby or if you just plan on the occasional 3D print for personal use then the delta in cost would most likely not be worth it to the majority of people.

One of the great things about Prusa is that his stuff is all open source. Does this mean that other Prusa-influenced printers are as good as his - most definitely not. However, the budget printers usually incorporate enough to create some very nice prints even if they don't have all of the features and conveniences of the original Prusa models.

One thing I will say is that I'm a full convert to Slic3r verses Cura, which I previously used. Again, not in the mood to get into a full review, but I was having all kinds of issues with Cura for several types of prints and filaments. Since I bit the bullet to learn something new with Slic3r, I've had nothing but success with it. It has every feature of Cura and more, but it seems like out of the box it does a much better job with slicing than what I was getting out of Cura.

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I wish I knew! I was going off of measurements from an old thread by someone else. My machine never had the pyramid, so thought I'd try to get a 3d printer and make one, but you guys seem happy to mess around so I'll save myself a few hundred bucks and let you guys play!

Shipping might kill you, but found this: ebay.com link: Pinball Gottlieb STARGATE Lot of original backglass Mirror plus other Parts

Really need inside dimensions of pyramid as outside has texture and is irregular. Also, need to know how mounted and exact size and position of mounting holes.

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Unfortunately, that's the wrong pyramid for me. I need the shiny metal looking one. But thanks for looking out for me!

Oh, that was confusing. Metals are not 3D printable from normal home type printers then. Are you just wanting to recreate it in plastic? Does the ball ever come into contact with it? If not, it might be doable depending upon the thicknesses that can be supported (the plastic would need to be thicker than the metal version).

From photos I've seen, looks doable to me. However, would still need exact measurements of bracket size/location along with side cutouts. Do you have all of the pieces that are used in the mech that the pyramid mounts to?

#92 5 years ago

I don't think something is quite right with some of the measurements. If you do the math, the height of the pyramid face (trapezoid) should be 89.2mm based upon a 51.5mm base and a 103mm hypotenuse on the right triangles. Also, the side triangle hypotenuse is calculated to be 93.74mm (base = 85-33 = 52mm). Now that we have all the measurements, you have a 93.74mm hypotenuse on each side butting up against a 103mm edge on the front - doesn't make sense. What am I missing here?

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG
#94 5 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I was taking measures from another post . I don't have any pyramid pieces to use, just the space ship.
I was hoping for a plastic print. I can paint it to look metal. The ball never goes there, so all good.
I can't link the thread right now but I'll try later tonight.

I went to the original thread and used his dimensions, but something is off (I double checked everything). Also, really going to need details to incorporate bracket. I also posted in Stargate thread to see if anyone is willing to assist with measurements. At this point, I just feel like it is a complete crap shoot given inaccurate/incomplete measurements.

Definitely open to helping, but going to need some assistance from others who own the pin and have access to a pyramid.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Ok, don't judge me (or my printing abilities!!!) too harshly - having a problem with this specific brand of filament (Amazon Basic).. But I did get a print of that pyramid, here....
[quoted image]

Not bad, but I would print with the front face dlatbin the heatbed based in the shape. If you do it this way you can also engrave the STARGATE word innit across the bottom, and it should look pretty good.

4 weeks later
#115 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Is anyone willing to model and print some Data East speaker panel hooks? These are the plastic hooks that slip into the speaker panel for securing behind the vertical wooden pillars. I can’t find these anywhere.
[quoted image]

Can you provide measurements, angles, screw hole size & position, etc.? If I had a DE I could easily do it. Other option would be to send one you have to me and I can then replicate and send back.

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

yeah I started that way as well back in 2013/2014, but found after a while the home printed gear would start to warp due to bulb heat (not led so much), so I put them up at Shapeways a number of years ago as the nylon printed gear is solid filled and has performed better.
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinksshroud

It has nothing to do with being home printed, rather (as you alluded) to, the filament type used. Most people use PLA which has a relatively low softening temperature. this is fine for pinball parts usually, as long as they are not close to or enclose incandescent bulbs (typically not an issue with LEDs). If you want something with a higher softening temperature, then PET/PETG is the next option, followed by ABS which is the same stuff that LEGOs are made of and very durable (people use ABS to make parts for interiors of cars, guns, etc. that must be able to endure high temps).

Just use the right material for the job, and you can do create just about anything you need on your home 3D printer (you can even print with nylon filament on many models).

#122 5 years ago

No, I don’t. Carbon fiber, wood, metal, etc. that are usable on home 3D printers are quite abrasive. There is a ruby tipped nozzle that works well with these, but I haven’t spent the $100 yet to try since I haven’t had an application where I needed it yet.

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Trust this suggestion as we have used EVERY bonding option from glass to glue. Add PEI sheet to your bed and be done with glue forever on All print materials. Great surface finish and no more cleaning goo off every dam part and machine. Best $20 you will ever spend. We have printed Thousands of parts on our Raise3D Pro machines with the same sheet. Priceless in my opinion.

Yes, the PEI sheet in the flex steel on my Prusa is awesome. I never use a raft. Clean with 90% alcohol between prints, and an occasional cleaning with acetone, and I’m golden. You do have to use a release agent (ie gluestick) on some materials such as PET or the will damage the PET.

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

How does this compare to glass? I have glass, but it's more for getting a level surface on my Anet (cheapie kit) than anything else. Really haven't been using anything on the glass, but I just print PLA and PLA+

Some swear by glass, but I think it is a pain in the backside. In my experience, you have to always use glue stick which means lots of cleaning up after prints, or you go the hairspray route which takes a lot of time and again involves clean up. However, if you need a smooth surface to your model and/or your printer doesn't create easily detachable/clean rafts, then it can be a better option than default.

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Definitely not as strong. Additives like that just make the material more brittle. Some look pretty cool though.

In my mind you use them not for strength but for appearance. Have you seen polished bronze filament or painted wood/bamboo filament? You can create some really nice looking models with these materials.

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Yeah, I tried some bronze filament. Wasn’t really impressed with it. It was OK, but I think you can get better results by painting another filament.

Did you polish it after print? This is the only way to make it look like real bronze, otherwise it just kind looks like clay.

B07A0036-F35B-491E-995C-3B49C160C0CC.pngB07A0036-F35B-491E-995C-3B49C160C0CC.png
#146 5 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

No more ABS...
My recommendation is Polysmooth.
https://eu.polymaker.com/product/polysmooth/

Man, at over 2x the price of ABS from reputable brands, that stuff better be infused with unicorn bone dust or something.

1 week later
#181 5 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

I tried the one from thingiverse, but I found that it didn't really work for the game.
So rather than modify that one, I just drew mine from scratch and added the integrated LED holders with holes for wire passthrus and mounting tabs to use the existing holes. Right now the doors swing but they hit the tabs. I haven't decided if I want the doors to swing or not...

That looks great. When you get it the way you want, would you be willing to share your STL file(s)? Either way, would love to see more details on how you wire and light it.

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Since you have experience with the Mk3, I wonder if you have any thoughts on the new Prusa i3Mk3S? I was just about ready to order the Mk3 when the new kit was announced. Ultimately, I want to get the multi material upgrade as well, but wonder how that competes with alternatives that have a second extruder.

It is really the same printer with upgraded filament sensor and some extruder tweaks (my upgrade kit is on order). If you buy the MK3 kit it takes about 2-3 weeks to receive it vs. who knows how long if you buy preassembled (be prepared to spend about 8 hours of assembly). Even though the upgrade is only $20, shipping is another $20+, but all new MK3 printers are shipping with the upgrade already included.

If you are on the fence, pull the trigger as you will not regret it. The Prusa MK3 is a great printer and worth the 3-4 times cost of the clones from my perspective having used both now.

#200 5 years ago

I don't have firsthand experience with the Ender 3, but I do with a nice Wanhao i3. I would basically echo Aurich's point. The Prusa MK3 is a printer with a multitude of features out of the box that the lower cost printers just don't have. As a result of the Prusa technology, it delivers the best results possible with minimal effort, including is dialed in Slic3r which I have barely had to adjust compared to the never ending burden that was Cura with the Wanhao i3.

While every analogy has its flaws, you can kind of think of it back in the olden days when choosing between a PC and a Mac (obviously the differences are more blurred today). Do you want a device that requires some expertise, lots of tinkering, complicated methods to achieve certain tasks, etc., or do you want a machine that has been developed to take care of all those things automatically and to make your experience as simple as possible to achieve your desired results?

Can other lower cost printers deliver similar or even better print results than the Prusa? Sure they can, but the amount of time you spend to achieve these results can often be quite expansive, require lots of trial and error, and result in wasted filament, etc. If you are a tinkerer at heart, have a modest budget, and want to really learn the nuances and intricacies of 3D printing then I might encourage you to save some money and purchase a lower cost printer. If you want nice prints with minimal effort and a shorter learning curve then the Prusa is my recommendation. Or, if you are like me, and have experience with learning the ins and outs of 3D printing on a lower cost unit and want to step up to something a little nicer and overall simpler to operate with additional important features (e.g. auto bed leveling, power outage recovery, auto filament detection, ability to print multi-colored layers, ability to pause/resume print, larger print area than many lower cost printers, etc.) then upgrading up to the Prusa MK3 may be a good move for you.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Those are some good points and food for thought.
I guess if I really wanted to get serious, I'd probably have to spend a lot more money than I care to in order to get the results I want. So, if I want those kind of results, its probably more cost efficient to just have a professional print company print it for me.

I think you can get very good results with a budget priced 3D printer. It is just that the learning curve may be steeper, and you may have to add some after-market add-ons which typically are not overly expensive.

If you outsource, the printing will be expensive. However, if you only plan on using a printer for a couple to a few items, then outsourcing might very well be your answer. Of course, you can always hit up this thread and I'm sure one of us would offer to print for you at a fair price.

Oops, I just reread your initial post and you already have an Ender 3. Then my question would be what results are you not able to achieve? I'm sure there are Ender 3 forums/groups out there that could probably help you get to where you want to be.

#214 5 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Ordered just last Thursday and DHL just dropped off this package from Prague! It seems like PRUSA really has manufacturing and logistics worked out for this new product rollout. Lesson learned from the original i3 delays. Good on them!
Now I just need to block out some time for assembly :-/[quoted image]

Took me about 8 hours to assemble my MK3. Helping a friend do his on Saturday, and hoping to improve my time a little.

1 week later
#240 5 years ago
Quoted from Rambo:

I do. They're purely decorative, and take a ton of post-processing work (like tumbling or bead blasting) to actually look good.
It's just PLA with metal dust in it. It's hard on your nozzle (I ruined two steel nozzles trying to get CopperFill to work on my printer), the print quality isn't great (lots of stringing for me, which never happens on normal PLA), and it's no stronger (actually probably weaker) than pure PLA.
For a metallic look, you're better off spray painting your part, IMO.
If anyone wants a roll of CopperFill for free, you're welcome to PM me for it, just pay shipping. It's this stuff: https://www.matterhackers.com/store/3d-printer-filament/colorfabb-copperfill-metal-filament-1.75mm-075-kg
I only used for a couple of Benchys, before swearing I'll never touch the metal fill materials again.

I am really tempted, but I don’t have a way to post-process and I would need to buy a ruby tipped nozzle. Very generous of you, however.

#246 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

PLA is PLA. I'm not all that impressed with PLA+, especially for the cost bump. If you want strength, nylon is it IMO.

I disagree with this. Different brands of PLA have different characteristics, and some are poor quality compared to others. Prusa, 3D Solutech, and Hatchbox are what I prefer, but I’ve gone through my share of poorer quality PLA. Bad coloring, inconsistent coloring, inconsistent diameter, tangling on the spool, various print issues, etc.

#250 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I was talking about PLA vs PLA+, not PLA vs PLA. Amazon Basics is super uneven quality, and some other no-names are outright junk. I only use Amazon Basics (I got a ton of at an auction) for junk prints on early prototypes. It has a tendency to jam nozzles sometimes.

Like I said, I was only talking about PLA vs PLA+. Within regular PLA there is a wide variance in quality and consistency even within the same brand and color on the low end of pricing.

Fair enough, sorry about the misunderstanding.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 1,059.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-my-feet-wet-with-3d-printing?tu=Mr_Tantrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.