20190316_001323 (resized).jpg
DSCF6151 (resized).JPG
DSCF6148 (resized).JPG
Facetted post (resized).jpg
20190308_202652 (resized).jpg
20190308_202615 (resized).jpg
72B6B140-873D-4CAE-B7F9-019673003CA1 (resized).jpeg
i3MK3S_Kit (resized).png
There are 273 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 5 years ago

So, I found a 3D model for Williams Drop target guides.

Printed them with my new fancy Tevo Mikey 3D printer.

They work great in PLA.

I don't have a scanner, so am being pushed to either build models or get a 3D scanning service to build a model.

Are there 3D models for other pinball parts somewhere on Pinside or other that I could try to reproduce?

Thanks!

#3 5 years ago

Give Autodesk Fushion 360 a try. It's free and after a few video lessons on YouTube you'll be creating in no time.

#4 5 years ago

Anyone got a file for keeping target switches upright?

1 month later
#5 5 years ago

pb456 Do you have X-box 360? You could use it for 3D scanning easy, there are a lot of tutorials on YouTube. From my personal experience best scans can be obtained with this software (I used 30days trial version). Or you can try to build a 3D model with Autodesk Fusion or FreeCAD for example.

1 week later
#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Anyone got a file for keeping target switches upright?

Do you mean the guides for Williams drop targets?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2792174

#7 5 years ago

If its something you can hand measure and relay the info up here i can draw it in solidworks for you.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from LongsdaleX:

pb456 Do you have X-box 360? You could use it for 3D scanning easy, there are a lot of tutorials on YouTube. From my personal experience best scans can be obtained with this software (I used 30days trial version). Or you can try to build a 3D model with Autodesk Fusion or FreeCAD for example.

No joke. I have to try this. Thanks for the tip!

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

If its something you can hand measure and relay the info up here i can draw it in solidworks for you.

Thank you - I haven't done really anything substantive with any CAD software outside of the Microsoft 3D builder. My daughter has more experience in that than I have!!

With an STL file - a pre-made model of say, lane guides - would it be easier to start with that or to do a new model?

I ask as some of the Williams lane guides on ThingVerse are really cruddy, not accurate and could use some tweaking. I was thinking of that and possibly some plastics. Some of the posts are close but not quite there.

Would it be easier for someone with Fusion or Solidworks skill to redo those?

#10 5 years ago

I'd love to see some 3D printed pop bumper caps for Blackout!

#12 5 years ago

Any ideas on how to convert the SLDPRT to an STL? Or SLDPRT import into Fusion 360 or other?

#13 5 years ago

Just need to resave it in solid works. Pm me and you can get my email. Email me the SW part file and I can resale it if that helps you.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Thank you - I haven't done really anything substantive with any CAD software outside of the Microsoft 3D builder. My daughter has more experience in that than I have!!
With an STL file - a pre-made model of say, lane guides - would it be easier to start with that or to do a new model?
I ask as some of the Williams lane guides on ThingVerse are really cruddy, not accurate and could use some tweaking. I was thinking of that and possibly some plastics. Some of the posts are close but not quite there.
Would it be easier for someone with Fusion or Solidworks skill to redo those?

I can add to STL files but sometimes it’s easier to start from scratch. Thin final products like lane guide sides might be an issue 3D printing as its hard to build a really thin strong wall that won’t delaminate.

4 weeks later
#15 5 years ago

Hey guys, I am trying out my 3D printer as well and have some questions - but I suppose the main one is: where do you find STL files generally? I am familiar with Thingiverse, but I am looking for stuff from LOTR and I thought I'd see a lot more on there as far as miniatures. thanks!

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hey guys, I am trying out my 3D printer as well and have some questions - but I suppose the main one is: where do you find STL files generally? I am familiar with Thingiverse, but I am looking for stuff from LOTR and I thought I'd see a lot more on there as far as miniatures. thanks!

There are some 3D modeler sites out there, Thingverse being the biggest community-driven one. You may want to contract out - do you have models to scan or do you have any of the models already?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

There are some 3D modeler sites out there, Thingverse being the biggest community-driven one. You may want to contract out - do you have models to scan or do you have any of the models already?

I’m looking for
The models in the first place - I just expected there to be more
Stuff is all.

#18 5 years ago

I've found some interesting stuff on MyMiniFactory.com. They have a bunch of free stuff, and some paid models. I haven't looked for LOTR stuff though specifically.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

I've found some interesting stuff on MyMiniFactory.com. They have a bunch of free stuff, and some paid models. I haven't looked for LOTR stuff though specifically.

Thanks, I just happened to find that site! I appreciate it

#20 5 years ago

fiverr.com is a good place if you wanna contract out something specific.

#21 5 years ago

I can model objects if anyone is interested. More structured items (pop caps, buildings, switches, targets, brackets are much easier than organic type objects for me.

I have used solidworks almost everyday of my professional life.

Send it my way all I'll return it and give you the .stl file.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

I can model objects if anyone is interested. More structured items (pop caps, buildings, switches, targets, brackets are much easier than organic type objects for me.

Fire me off your email address, I've got about a dozen solidworks objects I'd like to start printing!

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Wow, that is quite an offer!

#24 5 years ago

Every pinball part I wanted to make I had to draw myself. I suspect most people just don't share (me included) since it's more 'tinkering' than anything else. We should start a repository here!

If you want to draw simple stuff, try TinkerCAD. I use it fairly often - I wish I had more free time to learn to use the more CAD vector oriented software. TinkerCAD lets you draw basic shapes, then combine (or subtract them) to form a final shape. Most the time it's fine, other times...nope. Its web based and made by the same people that make AutoCAD.

I made this plastic support for my Roller Games. Two seperate prints (one red, one black).
20180325_223049 (resized).jpg20180325_223049 (resized).jpg

If you want to try 3D scanning, look into these. No experience and don't know the resolution or quality, but might be worth playing with.
Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

Also, look into PLA + (sometimes called 'plus').

#25 5 years ago

Here is the bulk of the collection of Solidworks parts (for 3D printing in PLA or ABS or PETG) I've collected.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsXY7DRX04DLg1t0mSpXJfPP1Kgb

#26 5 years ago

Converting solidworks to stl is an easy 10 second process - simply open and "save as"

While getting people to help with conversion is good, grab a copy of fusion or solidworks if you can and start to learn the 3d modelling process as it is so valueable

As for scanners they get close but not as sharp as modelling yourself, as I have had to remodel a few items for people that they took to a modelling service and honestly the scan was 0.2-0.4mm lumps

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Converting solidworks to stl is an easy 10 second process - simply open and "save as"
While getting people to help with conversion is good, grab a copy of fusion or solidworks if you can and start to learn the 3d modelling process as it is so valueable
As for scanners they get close but not as sharp as modelling yourself, as I have had to remodel a few items for people that they took to a modelling service and honestly the scan was 0.2-0.4mm lumps

Think that depends on the scanner you have and knowledge in using it. Mine scans to .05 which is far from what any 3D printer can export. Plus, while I am quite proficient at Fusion rarely will that help you when creating or detailing non geometric items like figures or animals in detail. Tried drawing a Monkey in Fusion for hours, scanned scales and modeled it in minutes on a scanner. Right tool for the job depends on what your creating.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

You cannot convert a Solidworks file without Solidworks as far as I know. They won't open in Fusion 360 (at least I can't figure that out with the Hobbyist license).

There are online sites out there that will convert from Solidworks to STL but: #1, they're not free, and #2 they have limitations as far as the size of the Solidworks objects. The collection I posted is all above the size limits of the sites I've tried. So..... it's great if someone can convert them!

#29 5 years ago

Has anybody tried using the Microsoft Kinect for scanning? I read somewhere that’s not too difficult but I’m not sure on the quality

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

You cannot convert a Solidworks file without Solidworks as far as I know. They won't open in Fusion 360 (at least I can't figure that out with the Hobbyist license).

You can convert them with Autodesk Inventor. If anyone needs one saved to STL just let me know.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

You can convert them with Autodesk Inventor. If anyone needs one saved to STL just let me know.

The link I posted earlier should have all the Solidworks files I need converted. If you can't get to it, let me know and I'll arrange a different method. Thanks!

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

The link I posted earlier should have all the Solidworks files I need converted. If you can't get to it, let me know and I'll arrange a different method. Thanks!

Ah, OK. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the STL files.

#33 5 years ago

...this page is where I got those Solidworks files from...

https://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

#34 5 years ago

Converted files sent. As I mentioned in the email, these Solidworks models were created for molded parts... not really designed with 3D printing in mind. For optimal printing, the models really should be tweaked (so they can be printed with minimal or no support structure needed).

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Has anybody tried using the Microsoft Kinect for scanning? I read somewhere that’s not too difficult but I’m not sure on the quality

Virtually useless in my testing. While it can scan the resolution result would be comparable to simply molding the object in clay with your hands. It falls in the “you get what you pay for” category. And no it’s not difficult though hardly worth the result.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Converted files sent. As I mentioned in the email, these Solidworks models were created for molded parts... not really designed with 3D printing in mind. For optimal printing, the models really should be tweaked (so they can be printed with minimal or no support structure needed).

Insteresting Thanks - I'll bring them into Simplify 3D and see what I can accomplish and post pics.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Insteresting Thanks - I'll bring them into Simplify 3D and see what I can accomplish and post pics.

Simplify is the Best. Note that it has a very good clean feature to repair any conversion issues. Good luck.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Yeah, you could probably make the necessary changes with Meshmixer as well. That's another free tool from Autodesk. Takes a while to figure out, but there's some powerful stuff in there.
If you have trouble printing one let me know, and maybe I can fix up the model in Inventor and then generate a more 3D-printer-friendly STL.

#39 5 years ago

These are a few of the STL objects I printed on my Ender 3 last night. I need to increase the infill (I think it was 15-20, not solid enough for posts). Also need to figure out how to polish the pop cap better than it is.

Using a translucent green PLA. I understand PLA may not be strong enough to withstand hits, but maybe it would be with denser infill?

In short, thank you so much mattosborn for getting these converted. This is why I got into 3D printing - to print replacement parts. That and random junk for the kids

DSCF6053 (resized).JPGDSCF6053 (resized).JPGDSCF6056 (resized).JPGDSCF6056 (resized).JPGDSCF6057 (resized).JPGDSCF6057 (resized).JPGDSCF6058 (resized).JPGDSCF6058 (resized).JPGDSCF6060 (resized).JPGDSCF6060 (resized).JPGDSCF6066 (resized).JPGDSCF6066 (resized).JPG
#40 5 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I understand PLA may not be strong enough to withstand hits, but maybe it would be with denser infill?

PLA isn't perfect, but it worked well on our Python's Pinball Circus whitewood. We used it for the Elephant head that had ball contact as the ball was loaded onto the trunk and rolled down it, but not super crazy direct impacts. I think we used 45% infill, but that seemed like overkill for it.

Anything direct impacts I wouldn't use it though. Use the PLA+ which generally has as good of performance as ABS.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

PLA isn't perfect, but it worked well on our Python's Pinball Circus whitewood. We used it for the Elephant head that had ball contact as the ball was loaded onto the trunk and rolled down it, but not super crazy direct impacts. I think we used 45% infill, but that seemed like overkill for it.
Anything direct impacts I wouldn't use it though. Use the PLA+ which generally has as good of performance as ABS.

The problem I was having was there weren't any good scans or shapes I could use to try for replacements, those that I could were in SolidWorks - which thankfully were converted successfully by mattosborn (!!!). Now that I have good prints with PLA, I think I'll see how they go. Can use ABS or PETG or PLA+, but of course I have a good mess of PLA to work through on the tuning of shapes and colors and print quality. Some day I'll have to learn Fusion 360, but today is not the day

I'll post more pics as I work through the problems. As much trouble as it's been, I'm finally making progress!

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

Ditto there. Everything I've made is not meant for ball contact or even any kind of impact. I just don't see 3D parts lasting.

Just repeating what I heard...PLA+ (what I typically use) isn't even as strong as straight PLA, but it has move 'give', which people tend to (incorrectly) think is stronger. Sounds like it's actually a bit more flexible, not as brittle.

I think 3D's best application is for the game mods. Print them, paint them..tada - a cheap mod that looks good. The doughnut shop in Getaway comes to mind. A few people tinkering w/that improvement and some have looked rather impressive.

Making a homebrew is another area I think 3D printing shines. Easy to fool around w/prototypes before committing to real parts. Wonder if anyone has made the equivalent of a metal habitrail? I suppose print size would be an issue.

1 month later
#43 5 years ago

I got my feet wet with 3D printing last weekend, and ended as of last night.

A trip to MicroCenter netted me a Monoprice i3 printer. I was able to only print the cute cat that came with the factory SD card. Couldn't read files on ANY sd card, can't USB connect, can't wireless connect. Did some troubleshooting(different cables, software, computers), but I wasn't able to print anything other than that cat. It initially was trying to 3D print air.

I returned it for a full refund.

I'm considreing that Creality 3D Ender 3, which looks like someone else alreadty has on here(looking at the pictures). I bought cheap, I got cheap. Problem is, I'll have to order from Amazon, so returns won't be so easy.

#44 5 years ago

Just received my Ender 3 yesterday. Printed the dog... Well the lower 1/8 of it. Filament hanged up in the middle of the night, i should have loaded the big spool instead of the small sample they give you. So far, I really like it. Downloading Fusion 360 tonight and creating some bushings next.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

I got my feet wet with 3D printing last weekend, and ended as of last night.
A trip to MicroCenter netted me a Monoprice i3 printer. I was able to only print the cute cat that came with the factory SD card. Couldn't read files on ANY sd card, can't USB connect, can't wireless connect. Did some troubleshooting(different cables, software, computers), but I wasn't able to print anything other than that cat. It initially was trying to 3D print air.
I returned it for a full refund.
I'm considreing that Creality 3D Ender 3, which looks like someone else alreadty has on here(looking at the pictures). I bought cheap, I got cheap. Problem is, I'll have to order from Amazon, so returns won't be so easy.

My first one was the Tevo Michaengelo - great printer for a first-timer, but I wanted something with a heated bed and larger print area. The Mikey does fine for most things, but I wanted an upgrade. Got an Ender 3, and I had a ton of problems with it, and finally I have it dialed in. I can help, but honestly I got most of my help from the Facebook Ender 3 group. There's a document you should read...

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AsXY7DRX04DLg2g-rt7FUvwGhSQP

That being said, I also have two other printers, and probably the worst problem I had was getting parts to stick, and not realizing my gantry was not square, and that the print bed 'wobbled' - this document was written by a dude called Luke Hatfield, he's on the official Creality Ender 3 group, and was invaluable in saving the life of my Ender 3.

I used Cura for a good long time, but switched to Simplify 3D for the ease of use and the ability to place supports where needed.

#46 5 years ago

I've got a Creality 3D Ender 3 Pro for a few weeks and the prints are quit amazing (compared to my 4 year old Ormerod).
Didn't have much problems with it, only the Z-axis limit switch needed some adjusting.

1 week later
#47 5 years ago

I received a Dremel 3D20 as a surprise from my wife for Christmas. I made some plastic protectors (aka washers) as a test, that worked. Kudos to MJL for his help on my next project which is a Saruman staff for LOTR. I have a few prototypes printed and am still tweaking. More to come...

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMario:

I've got a Creality 3D Ender 3 Pro for a few weeks and the prints are quit amazing (compared to my 4 year old Ormerod).
Didn't have much problems with it, only the Z-axis limit switch needed some adjusting.

Did you have to do a lot of unscrewing of the 4 posts to get the paper-thin gap? I had to eventually move up that z-switch to get a tiny gap(as opposed to a quarter inch gap). My first print wouldn't stay put on the base.

#49 5 years ago

s1500 : yes the same for me, but then it worked fine.

#50 5 years ago

3D printing might bring out my OCD more than my pinball hobby. Here is a version of Saruman's staff for LOTR that I printed in white filament and painted as needed. Thanks again to MJL for the assist.

staff (resized).jpgstaff (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 273 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-my-feet-wet-with-3d-printing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.