Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by lladnip
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1950.jpg
    grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg
    #1 14 years ago

I sometimes check out the FUTURE PINBALL forum and there is kinda a hot topic going on over there that makes me just as upset as that guy in AUSTRALIA.

Here is what I wrote over there.
    I am no psychic, but it takes a generation to TEACH a generation. Now, everything is video games and fight and kill everything that moves. And it all can be done at home or on the computer! When I grew up, I was outside more than being inside. I live in Canada, and when it snowed I was outside all day long, LOVE the snow. I got into sports, football, soccer, bowling. Ya, I played nintendo and crap when I was younger, but I never really liked it.
    My dad, once in awhile, (not from me crying or asking him every 2 seconds) used to take me to BUFFALO BILLS ARCADE all the time. He always played pinball, and ya, I tried the JOUST and CENTIPEDE and PAC MAN, machines, but I really didn't like that IQ loosing, stoner kind of games.
    Pinball ACTUALLY teaches you fast reflexes, hand to eye coordination, mathematics, physics, (won't go on because its just unbelievable.)

There was a story not too long ago in our news. In Ontario, Canada, a child was scolded for playing his XBOx too much and the parents had enough, They took the xbox away from the kid and he said that he was going to run away, so HE DID. He ran to some park not too far away and decided to run and hide up a tree. he got up the tree and was hiding there for a bit, then the branch that he was on broke and he fell 15 feet to the ground and fell on his back and neck. DIED from the injuries. He was like 12 or something.
    That is just one of probably MANY stories from around the world about FRICKEN video and computer games. NEVER have I heard a story about a child or someone wanting to play pinball, then DIES because of it.

DON'T TURN ON THE TV WHEN A CHILD IS CRYING, BE A PARENT AND THROW A BALL AROUND WITH him/her AND GET OUT OF THE HOUSE! THAT'S WHY KIDS AREN"T INTERESTED IN PINBALL IS BECAUSE THEY ONLY LEARN WHAT THEY SEE AND TEXT AND PLAY! COMON!!!!!!!!!! DUMMY UP YOU GUYS!

#2 14 years ago

I agree. When we had the money to move from our first house with a postage stamp lawn in a bad neighborhood we looked a long time to find the one we have. It is the only one in the neighborhood with 3/4 of an acre (it was the only "mistake" as there was not enough frontage to build the other house next door). It's also on a nice quiet safe cul-de-sac.

We get them outside and play games. I just bought was of those old "dangerous" lawn dart/jart sets that are so much fun. We also play badminton, croquet, baseball, etc like when we were kids.

They still have their PC's and game systems but don't sit around the house all day on them and zoning out in front of the TV.

The pinball machines have been great. They play them every day. The only problem is their friends go home and nag the other parents to buy one .. hehe

My Haunted House is done with the refurb and the other one someone else did was delivered today. I gotta decide which one the collector gets for his $2800 he paid me already. I also talked the person with the old 1978 Williams Phoenix down to $150. It's not the greatest machine but for the price I gotta buy it anyway.

#3 14 years ago

I came across a story about Spanish Pinball and how much faster it was when compared to other pinball machines of the era (late 70s - 80s???) In fact the Spanish Air Force was said to have games on it’s Air Bases to keep their pilots reflexes in top shape.
    I’m not sure if this story falls under ‘urban mythology ’ or not, But after fixing up a dead Fandango EM made by Playmatic I must say the game is faster then other mid 70s Ems I have next to it from Gottlieb & Williams. But wouldn’t that be kind of neat - if true, that pinball had a part in the COLD WAR even if very small?

#4 14 years ago

I've been able to get kids into pinball pretty easily. My nephews are 6 and 4 and they love the machines. If you teach them how to flip properly (not both buttons at a time and not the second the ball hits the bat), they'll actually be able to make shots and enjoy the lights and sounds of the game longer without getting bored.

The other age group that's easy to impress is the 12-15 crowd. I was fixing up some machines in my garage a few weeks back and I saw them out in front of my house kind of looking on with curious looks on their faces. I called them over and told them they could play the machines. They couldn't believe how fun they were! Of the 7-8 kids in there, only one of them had ever played pinball before. They played for hours!

The next Sunday in church some of their parents thanked me for entertaining their kids for a few hours and one of them is thinking of buying a machine off of me.

#5 14 years ago

Wow $150!
    yeah I'll have to admit , I'd get it too.
    good luck on Phoenix

4 years later
    #7 10 years ago

I've been doing the same. I have 8 grandchildren from 1-11. The 1 yr old hasn't shown alot of flipper potential yet, but he sure likes the lights and sounds. As I only have two machines (1em & 1ss), they get plenty of excercise fighting for position. The em is a 1 player game, so I had to implement the winner stays rule. I gotta say, the scores have come up lately. The ss is a 4 player, so I can keep 5-6 busy for quite a while. They even admit, "this is alot more fun than staring at television or some computor screen". Wish more parents could / would try this technique.

#8 10 years ago

uhhhhh what does the original post have to do with getting kids interested pinball? sounds like a classic grandpa simpson old-man-yells-at-cloud rant to me.

bah, these kids today and their rock n roll music.

video games aren't the devil and aren't any dumber than whatever you were into as a kid, I guarantee it.

pinball is a wonderful game, but acting like it's way more educational somehow than video games is beyond a stretch. my 6 year old daughter basically learned to read by playing video games. show me the pin that taught a kid to read (more than the words "credit", "replay", and "jackpot" anyway )

I hope no one thinks I'm bashing pinball here. it is basically my favorite thing on earth! but c'mon, it's only pinball.

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpggrandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from JBScar:

I tried the JOUST and CENTIPEDE and PAC MAN, machines, but I really didn't like that IQ loosing, stoner kind of games.

Pinball ACTUALLY teaches you fast reflexes, hand to eye coordination, mathematics, physics, (won't go on because its just unbelievable.)

This is a bit much don't you think? I played Joust, Centipede, Pac-Man, and every other video game of that era and I wasn't a stoner, nor did my IQ suffer from it. And as far as eye/hand coordination etc., video games teach you all the same things. And for me personally, video games got me into computers, which got me into programming, which got me into a career. That I can afford to buy a pinball machine today, can in some small way be traced back to getting an Atari 2600 for Christmas one year. Video games aren't evil or bad, they're just video games. Yeah some parents should make their kids get outside more often, but that would be true whether they sat inside playing video games all day, or stood inside playing pinball all day.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from JBScar:

I sometimes check out the FUTURE PINBALL forum and there is kinda a hot topic going on over there that makes me just as upset as that guy in AUSTRALIA.
    Here is what I wrote over there.
    I am no psychic, but it takes a generation to TEACH a generation. Now, everything is video games and fight and kill everything that moves. And it all can be done at home or on the computer! When I grew up, I was outside more than being inside. I live in Canada, and when it snowed I was outside all day long, LOVE the snow. I got into sports, football, soccer, bowling. Ya, I played nintendo and crap when I was younger, but I never really liked it.
    My dad, once in awhile, (not from me crying or asking him every 2 seconds) used to take me to BUFFALO BILLS ARCADE all the time. He always played pinball, and ya, I tried the JOUST and CENTIPEDE and PAC MAN, machines, but I really didn't like that IQ loosing, stoner kind of games.
    There was a story not too long ago in our news. In Ontario, Canada, a child was scolded for playing his XBOx too much and the parents had enough, They took the xbox away from the kid and he said that he was going to run away, so HE DID. He ran to some park not too far away and decided to run and hide up a tree. he got up the tree and was hiding there for a bit, then the branch that he was on broke and he fell 15 feet to the ground and fell on his back and neck. DIED from the injuries. He was like 12 or something.
    That is just one of probably MANY stories from around the world about FRICKEN video and computer games. NEVER have I heard a story about a child or someone wanting to play pinball, then DIES because of it.
    DON'T TURN ON THE TV WHEN A CHILD IS CRYING, BE A PARENT AND THROW A BALL AROUND WITH him/her AND GET OUT OF THE HOUSE! THAT'S WHY KIDS AREN"T INTERESTED IN PINBALL IS BECAUSE THEY ONLY LEARN WHAT THEY SEE AND TEXT AND PLAY! COMON!!!!!!!!!! DUMMY UP YOU GUYS!

Which guy in australia?

#11 10 years ago

Kids are not going to like anything their parents like or support.

If you want them to like pinball, tell them:

Stay out of the arcades! Those places are for druggies and losers.

Pinball is a waste of time and money. You get nothing out of it.

If you spent even 1/10 the time on your homework that you do on pinball, you'd be going to Harvard instead of "University" of Phoenix .

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Kids are not going to like anything their parents like or support.
    If you want them to like pinball, tell them:
    Stay out of the arcades! Those places are for druggies and losers.
    Pinball is a waste of time and money. You get nothing out of it.
    If you spent even 1/10 the time on your homework that you do on pinball, you'd be going to Harvard instead of "University" of Phoenix .

I guess I'm lucky then, my son and I started playing together when he was 10. Now he's in college in LA and when I visited him we hung out @ Pin and Needles and played a few with Pinball Molly. He went through a game console phase, but ended up selling all his games @ 15 because he was more interested in pinball. He also use to compete in FLiPs tournaments with me. Pinball is timeless and it's been a great father/son hobby. He's too busy to care about pinball now, but it's still something he appreciates/enjoys.

IMG_1950.jpgIMG_1950.jpg
    #13 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

uhhhhh what does the original post have to do with getting kids interested pinball? sounds like a classic grandpa simpson old-man-yells-at-cloud rant to me.
    bah, these kids today and their rock n roll music.
    video games aren't the devil and aren't any dumber than whatever you were into as a kid, I guarantee it.
    pinball is a wonderful game, but acting like it's way more educational somehow than video games is beyond a stretch. my 6 year old daughter basically learned to read by playing video games. show me the pin that taught a kid to read (more than the words "credit", "replay", and "jackpot" anyway )
    I hope no one thinks I'm bashing pinball here. it is basically my favorite thing on earth! but c'mon, it's only pinball.

well, only pinball is understateing it, its not just playing "the game". a pin is a fairly complex machine, its a awsome tool to teach a child mechanics, electronics, physics ect and of most value imo is the responbility on maintaining such a peice of equip. if you can keep your machine top notch, you can keep 80% of the mass produced semi junk we use from day to day working.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-kids-ineterested-in-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.