2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Bryan_Kelly
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jesus (resized).jpg
    1478635961934-299323517 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #7 Examples and insight from the pros Posted by High_End_Pins (2 years ago)

Post #25 Useful links Posted by swinks (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

#1 2 years ago

Yes I need to rant, and yes I do remember the days after bally williams went under BUT seems every part I need lately is unavailable. Ramps, same old short list of a few games, don't see hardly any new titles being added. Trying to keep games original with smoked ramps but find out they are only made in clear because large quantities need to be ordered. Sorry but if you're in the business of making ramps, buy the smoked material.If you have the molds, make more f*ucking ramps when you run out! All the parts I need to restore games are unavailable and I'm sitting in front of the computer for hours to come up empty, don't know what to restore.

I need addams family smoked ramps and topper, I need an addams family ramp in smoked, a topper or 2 in original smoked, I don't want clear, I don't want black, I don't want multicolored, I want original. Where are the 2nd gen cabinet decals too and plastics sets?

B/W indiana jones ramp N/A, no cabinet decals either except from secondary sources.

World cup soccer '94 - searches on pinside show they've been talking about this for years but still unavailable. no plastics sets

If anyone is hoarding spares and not using them please LMK, make a few bucks on me but don't rape me.

#3 2 years ago

Sounds like a first world problem. If someone were to sell you their spare parts for a reasonable price are you going to pass along the reasonable prices to your customers or are you going to charge whatever the market will bear? After all that's the American way....

#4 2 years ago

Don't know what is reasonable but I have one left that I would cut loose. Can't see how it could drive up the price anymore, ouch!

Quoted from rstrunks:

Sounds like a first world problem. If someone were to sell you their spare parts for a reasonable price are you going to pass along the reasonable prices to your customers or are you going to charge whatever the market will bear? After all that's the American way....

#5 2 years ago

TAF cabinet decals Retro Refurbs
    TAF plastics set at Planetary Pinball

#6 2 years ago

You are complaining about getting parts for some of the most common games. Try getting parts for my collection.

Wanna rebuild capcom flippers? I've found every part, it takes 5 vendors to do it. Don't ask the cost, because frankly I do not want to think about it as I need 7. Need a lock plate for the head? HAH, need specific parts for airborne? Yeah right.

Alvin G parts? I've found *some* spot targets at 9 bucks a pop and only 2 of the 5 types I need. They are DE and B/W parts. Flipper parts? Non-existant. Spinning disc decal for agbgowt? Nope. Plastics, hah. Mystery Castle anything? NOPE.

Ok, how about Radical it is a B/W title after all. I found someone who has a nos ramp, 1 of what 5? That is it. He won't sell it either. No plastics. Nothing game specific.

#7 2 years ago

I agree.Parts are a bigger problem than they should be these days.
    The problems are due to all kinds of things.
    Losing Pinball Inc has proven to be a bigger problem than was forecasted.
    The latest rerun of most "liscensed" parts is lower quality. This would be things like misaligned hole and horrible art reinterpretations as well as fragile easily scratched screen printing.
    Check these TAF slings for example.Original on the left liscensed on the right.

1478635961934-299323517 (resized).jpg

#8 2 years ago

Now Tish can really scare you

#9 2 years ago

Contact Mike Pacak regarding AGBGoWT spinning disk decals he still had a few NOS.
    This is just an example for assistance.
    I am in the final process of making a limited run of 100 for private owners based on spares.
    This is simply being done in my spare time as a collector.
    Unfortunately, there will be no "advertisement" as this will simply lead to someone jumping aboard the license train and lawyers to collect the "profit" even though the part has not been commercially available for over 23 years, and nobody even cared until a few years ago.
    The same thing happened with GTB/BLY parts when the were made by other manufacturers I will not discuss here.

Some original manufactured parts are very difficult to obtain, but dependent on connections are available.
    Owners/collectors do not necessarily post them on PinSide, have an account, or even read these forums.
    General parts suppliers will only have them in limited quantities, if at all.
    These parts have a tendency to be passed from collector to collector for specific titles as needed (sometimes traded), but not generally sold to dealers/brokers/restorers.
    Some don't particularly like what is happening to the hobby again, or want to be a part of "Ebay parts wars" for the early 2000s.
    Many of the the current dealers and sellers did not exist.
    PinSide did not exist.
    Many collectors would prefer not to have the NOS part(s) they just sold someone to "restore" a game, show up on Ebay the next day flipped for 4X the asking price. Yes, this does happen, frequently.

License moderation for quality is a problem right now.
    It is not just the artwork, but the silkscreening as well in some cases.
    Other problems are owners being jumped by CDLs if they want to help others.
    This is includes artwork SCANS, which have been extensively removed all over the internet.
    The original providers simply said, no problem, and went on their way.

I personally have no problems providing parts/scans/artwork to manufacturers for reproduction, but not just to restore a single machine that gets sold immediately for market profit.
    That is the crux of the issue, as some NOS parts have still not been made since the 1990s.
    Injection molded parts versus vacuum forming is a real significant problem if the molds are not available.
    The Transporter cross ramp comes to mind.
    Once they are used up, they are gone forever.

I have mentioned a higher level of importance should be placed on properly reproducing parts than game remakes, but many new owners seem to not really care or even know the concern.
    Dealers know because they need parts to restore machines to sell.
    Collectors know because they want proper examples of titles, or have been around long enough to know which parts are harder to come by for specific "Achilles Heels" of game titles, or parts that are frequently broken.

What is more important anyway?
    A fancy 3D translite (which I will not disagree looks cool, but the game can work without it), a new remake game (which reproduction parts could save more original games instead of pure profit), or an actual proper reproduction set of plastics (which saves more games)?
    The current market shares the answer, and its not the reproduction parts.
    Lots of game mods, but fewer "real" parts.
    $300 "Powerblades" is a good example, they are pure cosmetic, no function.
    The last complete NOS T2 plastic sets sold out over a decade ago.
    Some mods do actually improve a game by replacing lower quality stock parts, but those are an exception not a rule.
    Jurassic Park T-Rex is a good example.

Overall, however, the current situation does not particularly motivate older collectors to sell off their NOS part collections, especially when we are looking for another example to add to our collections with our "big game hunter" hats on.
    That does not mean we wish to hoard parts, just be a bit more cautious on what we do to help.
    Dealers can actually become competitors for the same parts.
    If PPS wants to reproduce more ramps from NOS versions, there are ramps to offer, but I don't want to get in the middle of another license war.
    There were too many, "$#!@ you!"s from the last round.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Go figure, I called this years ago when everyone was was busy pointing and laughing at Gene. It's nice to see someone reputable back up what my opinion was at the time.

#11 2 years ago

jesus (resized).jpg

#12 2 years ago

Thread winner.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Thread winner.

I was going to make a Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner joke, but pezpunk would have blown a gasket.

#14 2 years ago

I agree.Parts are a bigger problem than they should be these days.
    The problems are due to all kinds of things.
    The latest rerun of most "liscensed" parts is lower quality. This would be things like misaligned hole and horrible art reinterpretations as well as fragile easily scratched screen printing.

The new one still has the plastic film on it...

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ronnie1114:

How does this change the fact that the art is massively WRONG? Did you even look at it? Her face looks like she was in an acid attack....

*Edit* And oddly similar to South Park's Caitlyn Jenner....never gonna un-see that now...

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

I was going to make a Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner joke, but pezpunk would have blown a gasket.

Easy trigger

Easy now

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

World cup soccer '94 - searches on pinside show they've been talking about this for years but still unavailable. no plastics sets

I don't know if they are any good or not but
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-1925-XX

#18 2 years ago

The plastic set that Marco sells is probably the one that CPR ran (and is sold out of now). I got a set a little less than a year ago and just installed it a couple of weeks ago. They look great to me.

That Morticia has to be intentional, no? Does the licensing just not include Anjelica Huston so they had to change Morticia's face?

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Yes but why even bother removing it?

#20 2 years ago

Sorry I was talking ramps again. As I'm searching I'm reading old threads from years ago where they were saying they would be available soon, I'm growing old waiting for these ramps. Almost every WCS I've ever seen needed ramps, WTF...........

#21 2 years ago

Yes but why even bother removing it?

Yeah man, I see it now. Her face is fucked! Idk how I didnt see that before.

#22 2 years ago

I wonder if that AF plastic looks that way due to licensing

As in they can repro the plastic but not with the likeness of (insert her name)

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I wonder if that AF plastic looks that way due to licensing
    As in they can repro the plastic but not with the likeness of (insert her name)

That would be my guess. I'm running downstairs to look at the sling of the repro set I bought from Gene years ago. Whew... Morticia's face is correct.

#24 2 years ago

Didn't Starship Fantasy basically inherit EVERYTHING that Pinball inc. produced? Have they not done anything new since Pinball inc. folded....?

Man, you really do put up some fantastic posts at the right times. I genuinely LOL'd.

#25 2 years ago

use this site to search parts

http://www.pinballsearch.com/#gsc.tab=0

and check out pin witch in Germany as they have a few hard to find parts

https://shop.thepinwitch.com/index.php?language=en&=&=&XTCsid=221162758940fed352e739cf3366f0e3

#26 2 years ago

pm sent for TAF smoked ramp

#27 2 years ago

Always a good first search for people in need.
    Maybe the moderators should "new sticky" the post to help new collectors.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Contact Mike Pacak regarding AGBGoWT spinning disk decals he still had a few NOS.
    This is just an example for assistance.

Thanks will contact mike, but have been warned that he may have a hard time finding anything. I've had more luck just being patient things come up. Sometimes though someone has something and they just sit on it and sit on it and never get around to actually selling it. I am having that issue with an airborne speaker panel cover right now.

In terms of remakes, BBB or Kingpin would be a blessing for capcom owners. I snapped a 8-32 bottom 8-32 top post last night on my breakshot, can't buy one. Would have to track down someone who has parted one out. Flipper parts, slingshot parts, ie wear items would get made and there is a chance extras would be around after the fact. Convincing pps to do a run of parts is like spitting in the wind and a remake is our best shot to ever see these things in quantity.

#29 2 years ago

Part of the problem with repro parts is the demand. An example, I made 200 sets of BSD plastics about two years ago. I probably sold 100 sets in the first 3 months. Another 50 sets in the next 9 months. And maybe 20 sets in the last year. I have 10 sets left. When they're gone, they're gone.

Needless to say, in order to make something like this, you need to make them in numbers in order to keep the cost down. The issue is, once my last 10 sets are gone, am I going to make another 200 sets? Hell no. I'd be sitting on them forever. So who wants to shell out $12,000 to $15,000 to have these made again?

Even a game like TAF. At some point, the demand for plastic sets reaches a point where you may be selling say 3 sets a month. That's 5 years or so before you'd sell them all. In the retail world, that's not smart.

Trust me, I restore games for a living. I'm fully aware of how difficult it is to find parts at times.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 4.99
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 150.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 28.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside