(Topic ID: 221984)

Getting buyers to follow up after voicing interest in a machine

By too-many-pins

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

It seems I often have an issue getting buyers (or potential customers) to follow up after they voice an interest in a machine (or group of machines). Am I just trying too hard to be "fair" with potential customers or is this an issue for other sellers also?

When I list something for sale it seems I always get one or two guys "very hot" on the item. "I have been looking for one for months" - "can you hold it for me for a few days until I can come see it" etc. Next thing you know a week or more passes with no additional contact. Since we are typically not in a hurry to get stuff sold anyway normally this doesn't really get under my skin but right now we could really use some space and it seems to happen on with almost everything I have for sale.

I can see this happening once in a while but lately this seems to be the norm for me. I have been "holding" several machines for months for "good customers" or people I have done business with in the past. And am also holding 4 machines right now waiting for people who said they are very interested and have not followed up. So now I have other people interested in other machines and no room to move them to the garage because garage is full of machines "on hold" - "promised" - "or waiting" for potential customers to come see them.

I have room for 15 machines in the garage and garage is basically FULL with stuff I am just waiting on people to follow up on. I think at this point 11 of the 15 machines in the garage are "On Hold" for people (some since before Allentown - 3 months ago). Add 3 or 4 machines we are working on to the mix and we are totally out of space.

Should I just change to "first person who shows up with cash owns it"? How do some of you other sellers handle things?

#2 5 years ago

it is up to you if you hold a game, but I would move on after a week had passed with no contact

#3 5 years ago

I ask for a $100 deposit only refunded if they come look at the game and decide against. They forfeit it if they change their mind, wife said no, didn’t come by date agreed upon, etc...

#4 5 years ago

I would have them put a minimal hold deposit and define up front that gets you a week. If no contact in a week, you keep deposit and move on to next customer.

If they are not willing to give minimal deposit move on to next customer.

Cash is king, rest is BS.

#5 5 years ago

I hate "pressure sales" - I hate deposits even more so I try to avoid both at all cost. I know part of my problem is my laid-back nature and I even tell customers - "no rush - just let me know if anything changes". But it seems like this is really starting to be an issue for me.

I really wish I could be a "high pressure" type person but it just isn't in my DNA. As I said in my first post - typically I don't really care but right now I have people wanting to come see other machines I have in storage and garage is full with stuff I am waiting for people to follow up on. Maybe I need a bigger garage!

Over the 10+ years I have been in the hobby this has only been an issue a couple of times but this Spring & Summer it seems worse then normal? Just curious if other sellers are having the same issue?

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Over the 10+ years I have been in the hobby this has only been an issue a couple of times but this Spring & Summer it seems worse then normal?

You more mellow than you used to be ? Maybe you are the one that changed.

You don't have to be a high pressure seller. You can have moderate ground rules. Deposit holds one week for you to see it. Deposit applied to purchase price, otherwise not refundable.

LTG : )

#7 5 years ago

I deal with similar situations with other items that I sell and I've found it best to sell to the first person with money in hand. If you have repeat customers that you know that is one thing -- maybe touch base with them to confirm interest. Otherwise you may be worrying about the desires of others who may want the machine but are not going to buy the machine.

Will some feelings get bumped? Maybe, but you goal is to sell the game and not store it, right?

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You more mellow than you used to be ? Maybe you are the one that changed.
    You don't have to be a high pressure seller. You can have moderate ground rules. Deposit holds one week for you to see it. Deposit applied to purchase price, otherwise not refundable.
    LTG : )

I have always done things pretty much the same way. Someone voices an interest - my reply "I'll hold it until you come take a look". Send them my information and ask them when they want to stop by. Next thing you know a week passes with no further contact. Then I contact them again and 1/2 the time they don't even reply. Why email and ask to come look at a machine if you have no interest in it?

Other times regular customers (or guys I have known for years) ask "can I come grab it in a week or two". Next thing you know 2 or 3 months pass by?

As I said above - typically not a big deal but this year it is really causing space issues.

#9 5 years ago

I insist on messaging or email only, as I find it easier to deal with potential buyers like that. I find if I get a call I too go easy with that potential buyer as it’s in my DNA to be respectful & trusting that these people will stick to their word. With message/email, I can be more forthright by saying, “I’ll hold it till <specify date> and after that I will start fielding other offers”. That way it’s clear to them (in writing) & you don’t have to be a storage / standby facility.

#10 5 years ago

Offer them some coffee and donuts. Pinsiders love freebees.

#11 5 years ago

Send an email telling them you are putting machines back on the market, if no answer in a day, it means they were not serious in the first place.

#12 5 years ago

I always ask for a deposit Immediately.
    Thats how you can tell if they really are genuine.

Allot of tyre kickers in the hobby.

#13 5 years ago

Theyre taking advantage of you. If they cant make a decision in a week, theynever will.

#14 5 years ago

I totally hear you on this one. I have a machine for trade currently and it has generated quite a bit of interest. Not everyone, but quite a few throw out a trade offer and then disappear. If you're no longer interested, put on your big boy pants and just tell me.
    There have been a few good pinsiders that have followed up.

#15 5 years ago

Skip,
    You’re letting people walk all over you. You don’t have to be hard nosed about it either, you have to be fair to the other potential buyers and yourself. At this point with the games that you have been holding you need to follow ltg’s advice.

Contact the buyers and let them know that you have sent them a friends and family payment request for $100. They have 24 hours to forward the funds or you will no longer hold the game for them. They have to come inspect the game by a certain date, let’s say a week from Sunday. If they inspect the game in person and don’t buy it you’ll refund their deposit. If they no show for any reason you get to keep the deposit. Make sure to spell out these terms in the email and the PayPal payment request.

The tire kickers won’t even send the $100 deposit. The serious buyers will at least show up.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Skip,
    You’re letting people walk all over you. You don’t have to be hard nosed about it either, you have to be fair to the other potential buyers and yourself. At this point with the games that you have been holding you need to follow ltg’s advice.
    Contact the buyers and let them know that you have sent them a friends and family payment request for $100. They have 24 hours to forward the funds or you will no longer hold the game for them. They have to come inspect the game by a certain date, let’s say a week from Sunday. If they inspect the game in person and don’t buy it you’ll refund their deposit. If they no show for any reason you get to keep the deposit. Make sure to spell out these terms in the email and the PayPal payment request.
    The tire kickers won’t even send the $100 deposit. The serious buyers will at least show up.

Even my son keeps telling me I am too easy on people. But typically I really don't care if machines sell or not. My issue right now is I really really need space to be able to pick up the next load of machines from my Virginia warehouse deal and with nothing leaving I just don't have that space.

I doubt I'll change much - it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks - but I was just curious if other sellers were finding this is happening more often than normal these days.

In the past I had machines sitting for a year or two - set back for good friends in the hobby or great customers. At times they would decide to pass on a machine - it never really mattered to me and people who deal with me know that. But this year I just can't seem to get machines out the door other than what I sold at Allentown. York isn't all that far down the road so I am hoping the York Show will help some. I was really hoping to pick up another load out of Virginia before York but unless some of this stuff gets picked up I doubt that is going to happen.

For now I might just end up moving some of the stuff from the garage to storage to make room for the next load we need to get ready for sale. I am giving the latest 4 people until Monday then something will happen with the latest group of machines I have for sale - that I can say for sure.

#17 5 years ago

Even my son keeps telling me I am too easy on people. But typically I really don't care if machines sell or not. My issue right now is I really really need space to be able to pick up the next load of machines from my Virginia warehouse deal and with nothing leaving I just don't have that space.
    I doubt I'll change much - it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks - but I was just curious if other sellers were finding this is happening more often than normal these days.
    In the past I had machines sitting for a year or two - set back for good friends in the hobby or great customers. At times they would decide to pass on a machine - it never really mattered to me and people who deal with me know that. But this year I just can't seem to get machines out the door other than what I sold at Allentown. York isn't all that far down the road so I am hoping the York Show will help some. I was really hoping to pick up another load out of Virginia before York but unless some of this stuff gets picked up I doubt that is going to happen.
    For now I might just end up moving some of the stuff from the garage to storage to make room for the next load we need to get ready for sale. I am giving the latest 4 people until Monday then something will happen with the latest group of machines I have for sale - that I can say for sure.

What machines do you have for sale? Anything made after 2006 I would be interested in.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from cpr9999:

What machines do you have for sale? Anything made after 2006 I would be interested in.

Nothing that new. We mess mostly with System 11 & earlier with a few DMD titles from time to time.

#19 5 years ago

Tire Kickers!! As mentioned earlier.

#20 5 years ago

You just need to change your policy when you need to get the game moved. Real buyers have no problem putting a non refundable deposit down on a game they are actually going to buy.

On a side note. I would recommend adding pictures, lots of them, to your ads. Lots of people are willing to drive a long way for a game. Without pictures you’re probably limiting your sales to people’s within a 30min radius.

#21 5 years ago

I say money talks and bullshit walks! You have been burned enough to know that you should not wait on people and just sell the games to the first person that can show up with cash in hand. Now if its a friend or someone that you have done business with before than maybe you could trust them and hold it for them but anybody else, no way.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

You just need to change your policy when you need to get the game moved. Real buyers have no problem putting a non refundable deposit down on a game they are actually going to buy.
    On a side note. I would recommend adding pictures, lots of them, to your ads. Lots of people are willing to drive a long way for a game. Without pictures you’re probably limiting your sales to people’s within a 30min radius.

Typically I do have a ton of pictures and a good description on each ad but when you are packed so full you can't get to machines it is hard to take pictures. I know my biggest issue is "getting behind with space" just like "getting behind with money". When you have extra money around money seems to keep coming in and all is good but when you are tight on cash incoming cash flow always seems to dry up. I have discovered space is the same way - when you are packed full to the max things just don't seem to move out as quickly as you would like them to and I think that is a HUGE part of my issues right now.

I think part of my answer might be to just move some stuff to storage until the York Show freeing up space to get pictures & proper listing up. That will also give me room to move machines to the garage people are waiting to see. I hate the idea of double handling but the more I look at things the more it seems that will be my best approach. I was hoping for a couple quick sales to save me a little work but as stated above - when you need that it just doesn't seem like it is going to happen.

I guess my "new plan" will be to move 5 or 6 machines to storage Monday making room to start listing machines correctly. Then once some stuff is out the door just start bringing finished machines home from storage as I have the space. In my eyes that is doing things the hard way but it looks like the "only way" right now.

#23 5 years ago

I don't sell that often and when I do I usually have time. I'm pretty low key and will hold a game without a deposit even if offered. I've had several out of state buyers that did come though and held the game up to 5-6 weeks. One was coming for the expo the other it took longer because when they could come I was on vacation overseas.

My thinking on a deposit if out of state is if I take it and they come and don't like the game I would give it back. I would feel bad if they travel and don't like what they see. If it's local I would maybe hold up to 7 days.

#24 5 years ago

I simply tell any potential buyers that I hold nothing. I say" if someone shows with cash in selling this". If they decide that putting a deposit down is what they want them I'll do that. I don't suggest it to them. They come to it on their own. Otherwise I sell to whoever is actually there with $

#25 5 years ago

I have always done things pretty much the same way. Someone voices an interest - my reply "I'll hold it until you come take a look".

Stop doing that and it will be easier. If someone expresses keen interest in a game, I’ll hold it for them. But they need to move on it. If they start delaying me, it goes to the next buyer. I’m very straightforward about that.

My favorites are the low ballers that get upset at me. I try to sell games at fair prices. So when I get a lowball offer, I just write back that their offer is too low. Then when it sells I write everyone that the game is sold. Then they get upset because my price was fair and “they would have offered me full price”. Well, too late. I also like offers over asking after I tell them it is sold. Too late.

#26 5 years ago

I agree with the deposit strategy mentioned above. You can weed out the tire kickers pretty quick that way. Now people I have bought and sold from in the past I would hold it on their word.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-buyers-to-follow-up-after-voicing-interest-in-a-machine?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.