(Topic ID: 311375)

Getting back into the hobby and have some concerns...

By VisitorQ

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by VisitorQ
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider readypo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 2 years ago

Agreed that there are issues with NIB - on the other hand, new pins are a lot of fun to play, generally with deep software and many of the out-of-box issues get address by the manufacturers along the way (and software upgrades too). As expensive as they are, with the size of the runs more perfection and polish would make them even more expensive and unaffordable.

Old pins were made to make money on route and the list of know issues on them is very long (e.g. lack of fuses between the transformer on Williams System 3-11 pins = fire) Playfield pooling is frustrating and hard to fix, as well as the other issues mentioned. However, often the manufacturer is making some of these issues right. For example, Stern replaced the easy to break Herman plastic breaking on Munsters for free with a bracket protector.

Buy used (and pay more most likely), put a NIB order in and wait and take your chance on playfield issues, go play on location if you are not sure, but don't avoid these new pins because the value might drop due to playfield chipping, dimples, scope wear, etc.

Perhaps a just as good of a question as initial quality is how does the manufacture continue support after the sale?

In that case I would rate them as such (my personal opinion only):
    Top three:

American, Spooky and Stern
    Edit: Left out CGC - also pretty good customer service I understand
    Good start - Pinball Brothers with Aliens (not much history and some initial quality issues but very responsive so far)

Not as Good - JJP (lost of LTG was not good IMO).

I do not have any personal experience with Dutch Pinball, Haggas, Metamorphic so I can not comment on them, perhaps someone else can.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider readypo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-back-into-the-hobby-and-have-some-concerns?tu=readypo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.