(Topic ID: 110219)

Getting a wide body through a door question...

By kaneda

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

This is such a dumb newbie question. My LOTR barely fit through the door. THe back box just cleared. Is a widebody back box wider than a standard back box? Or is just the play field part wider? Flame on.

Also is it hard to take off a back box and put it back on?

#2 9 years ago

Widebodies are no wider than standards with the head on. Just the cab is wider on a widebody.

Only exception might be early extra-widebodies like Paragaon or Atari pins - not sure about those.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Also is it hard to take off a back box and put it back on?

I think this is the first question I can actually help with since joining! Normally I'm the guy asking the questions.

Anyway, when I bought my DM, the seller taught me how to remove and reinstall the back box. We needed to remove it to get it up his steps and then left it off to get it down mine. It wasn't difficult, but did take a little time. Just make sure you take a marker and label each and every connector with the corresponding number before disconnecting.

Once you get everything disconnected, you just feed both harnesses out of the back box, unscrew the hinges, remove the big bolt and lift off the box. There is one harness (at least in my game) that is self contained in the back box, but we removed it anyway. It's very difficult to determine which one it is with all the wires running around in there.

Just take your time, label everything and you'll be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again by myself and I know very little about these things. I'm assuming that this is game specific, so I don't know how mine compares to yours.

#4 9 years ago

As westofrome stated, the backbox is the widest part and MOST are standard sized. I say most because I had a Phantom of the Opera a while back that had a slightly bigger backbox which could not clear my door frame. As for paragon or those style older pins, most of those backboxes don't have a hinge, so they have to come off anyways.

#5 9 years ago

I've not seen a backbox bigger than 28". Except Hercules.

#6 9 years ago

Take her out for a few drinks and she will fit through the door just like any other.

#7 9 years ago

Anyone know how wide an Indiana Jones is? Would it fit through the same door as a LOTR?

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I think this is the first question I can actually help with since joining! Normally I'm the guy asking the questions.
    Anyway, when I bought my DM, the seller taught me how to remove and reinstall the back box. We needed to remove it to get it up his steps and then left it off to get it down mine. It wasn't difficult, but did take a little time. Just make sure you take a marker and label each and every connector with the corresponding number before disconnecting.
    Once you get everything disconnected, you just feed both harnesses out of the back box, unscrew the hinges, remove the big bolt and lift off the box. There is one harness (at least in my game) that is self contained in the back box, but we removed it anyway. It's very difficult to determine which one it is with all the wires running around in there.
    Just take your time, label everything and you'll be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again by myself and I know very little about these things. I'm assuming that this is game specific, so I don't know how mine compares to yours.

Thank you for this terrific response.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I've not seen a backbox bigger than 28". Except Hercules.

Most EM 4 player and early SS back boxes are 30" and 31" wide.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Most EM 4 player and early SS back boxes are 30" and 31" wide.

Sorry, I meant SS games where the head isn't designed to be removed.

#11 9 years ago

Stern backbox are about 1 inch narrower than a williams. Wide body makes no difference. But being a williams does. You'll need one more inch vs the stern.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Stern backbox are about 1 inch narrower than a williams. Wide body makes no difference. But being a williams does. You'll need one more inch vs the stern.

yep, and a sys 11 is wider still
    the front door to my house will easily fit a B/W DMD era game
    but a sys 11 will not fit, nor will a Zac

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

yep, and a sys 11 is wider still
    the front door to my house will easily fit a B/W DMD era game
    but a sys 11 will not fit, nor will a Zac

Strange,I just measured both my dmd and sys 11 games and all measured the same-73cm.

#14 9 years ago

There are a few that are wider than a regular widebody that's for sure, some already mentioned above and i would include Space Invaders on that list as well. As far as removing the head goes :- latter games with the back box hinges are easy to sort, earlier games without a hinge usually have enough slack in the wiring harness that you wont have to disconnect any plugs, just undo the head bolts and lie the head flat on the glass with a few towels/etc inbetween.

#15 9 years ago

I just brought in a WOZ (widebody). I believe it was right at 30" at the widest point. You'll need to take the door off the hinges if it's standard but you shouldn't have trouble unless you have an immediate turn after you go through the door or something. Just take your time.

#16 9 years ago

Markmon is correct. My IJ measures 1" wider than my LOTR. Don't forget you don't have to remove the backbox to get it through a narrow door. Often times you can remove the hinges and just slightly rotate the backbox.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from king-pin:

Strange,I just measured both my dmd and sys 11 games and all measured the same-73cm.

All I know is that I had no problem fitting a TZ though the door, Pinbot though , needed its bavkbox removed

#18 9 years ago

The backbox on my Standard WOZ, from edge to edge, is exactly 28 3/4 inches (the backbox on my three Sterns are 27 3/4). We have standard doors in our house (11 years old) and it (WOZ) has been in two different rooms. It is a rather close fit but will go through the door without touching (mine anyway). Nothing had to be taken off, although I did have to remove that plastic deal off the top before it would clear the door. Just take your time.

#19 9 years ago

You don't need to disconnect the wiring. Just unbolt the hinges and carefully twist the backbox until it goes thru the door then rebolt the backbox. I keep the legs on and slide the machine thru the doorway on casters. I had to do this at my old house in Alaska.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-a-wide-body-through-a-door-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.