(Topic ID: 270600)

Getting a new roof - Any advice or words of wisdom?

By mcluvin

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

430EC0C4-203E-4474-8FFE-535097B0D320 (resized).png
    ocsd (resized).PNG
    IMG_2907 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pomc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 3 years ago

I'm going with Owens Corning shingles and their licensed (or whatever) installer after getting 3 quotes. My primary concern was, ok, so you (the installer) are giving me a xx # of years workmanship warranty. How do I know you'll still be in business if the time comes and I need warranty work? Owens Corning warranty says that if the original installer is no longer available, the closest installer will come out for the warranty work.

GAF is fine, but they just spend $$$ on marketing and the big box stores use them. I'll pass on that though.

Just Google, "new shingles reddit" for all the first hand info from customers and installers. The rep who came out for the quote provided all the info I was going to ask based on my research. Everything he said is everything I wanted based on what I learned. The other 2 quotes, yeah not so much. Be wary of a roofer who also wants to replace your gutters, "just because you might as well at the same time". If your gutters don't have issues, don't replace them "just because". The quote I chose didn't say squat about gutter replacement - because they don't need to be.

Here's one search result to get the OP started:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/7qurnm/what_to_look_out_for_when_getting_new_roof/

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

That HOA crap is for the birds. Not sure why anyone would want to live where they can tell you what type of shingles you can or can't put on your house.
    John

To ensure your neighbors keep up their house maintenance and their property doesn't have rusted cars sitting on cinder blocks; grass up to their windows; and also don't install white shingles that stand out like a sore thumb.

You can't choose your neighbors, but can at least know they aren't going to be dirtbags making the neighborhood look like trash.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pomc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-a-new-roof-any-advice-or-words-of-wisdom?tu=pomc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.