(Topic ID: 270600)

Getting a new roof - Any advice or words of wisdom?

By mcluvin

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

430EC0C4-203E-4474-8FFE-535097B0D320 (resized).png
    ocsd (resized).PNG
    IMG_2907 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Also gaf was first to switch to ltd lifetime warranties instead of 30,40 and 50 year shingle warranties. That one really pissed me off too. Was a lot easier to explain warranties with a defined year on it.

The manufacturer warranties are pretty much BS, though anyway because most will prorate and not pay for re-installation in a large failure. Lots of horror stores on the internet.

In areas with extreme weather (where we are 110-120+ degree summers are the norm) the actual life of the roof is about half what the manufacturer says. We bought a 40 year comp roof when we built our house (upgraded from the standard 20 included with the house price) back when they were still putting years on it. The 20s in our neighborhood lasted 10 before they started shedding and our 40 started shedding noticibly last year at 20 years old. Then we had a huge hailstorm last year with giant hail I've never seen in CA. Insurance is buying us a new roof.

Been through all the same confusifications as the OP with this process. Ruled out GAF right off the bat. Looked at Owens-Corning and Certainteed came across a local roofer with good ratings that's big on Malarkey. After looking at their lines, we're likely going with the Malarkey Windsor, but the contract's not signed yet.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Based on my research, roofers really seem to like Malarkey. I can’t get them in Florida.

Yeah, I don't understand why some roofing materials are regional. Maybe because of the hurricanes in FL, Malarkey doesn't want the headaches for claims?

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Distribution centers are expensive; they just haven’t gotten to the point where they want to / can expand. I’m sure it will happen if they are that popular

It's just weird that they're available pretty much everywhere in the south and southeast, but when you get to Alabama, Georgia, Florida - nothing. Makes it seem like it's a weather-related decision by Malarkey to stay out of that region.

https://malarkeyroofing.com/where-to-buy

Set the range to 400 miles and try Atlanta GA or Orlando FL. Then try Dallas TX or Omaha NE. Massive difference in availability.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

get a solar roof. If insurance is paying part and you get a big tax credit, I’d be all over the that.

I dunno where he is, but the energy companies have been lobbying like crazy (and in many cases succeeding) to take away incentives for solar roof installations in CA and NV. Also, cities like mine protect the city owned electric plant by removing/reducing rebates for solar and not approving 100% solar installations so you still have to buy some electricity from the city. It's lame and should be illegal. Strictly a play by traditional old energy companies to keep their game going just a little longer.

8 months later
    #72 3 years ago
    Quoted from twoplays25c:

Went through this 2 years ago. Contractor used Certainteed Landmark Pro shingles. (Did all new ridge vents, plus gutter covers too, so I don't have to climb the ladders). We looked at metal but it was 2x the cost and for the added durability in terms of years, I'm way dead by then so I didn't care, LOL.
    Has a 130 MPH wind warranty for the next 15 years. Carries a 50-year warranty coverage on the products, which can be transferable once every 12 years. Includes new material, tear-off, cleanup and disposal at any time during those next 50 years.

Roofing shingle warranties are a joke. Good luck if you have a problem outside of the first 5 years or so, regardless of what the bill of goods warranty says.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-a-new-roof-any-advice-or-words-of-wisdom?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.