(Topic ID: 270600)

Getting a new roof - Any advice or words of wisdom?

By mcluvin

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

430EC0C4-203E-4474-8FFE-535097B0D320 (resized).png
    ocsd (resized).PNG
    IMG_2907 (resized).JPG
    There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago

Lolol love it

Unfortunately gaf used to be good but close to 10 years ago they took a lot of weight out of their shingles and since have been the thinnest shingle on the market.

A lot of guys stopped using them after this.

Also gaf was first to switch to ltd lifetime warranties instead of 30,40 and 50 year shingle warranties. That one really pissed me off too. Was a lot easier to explain warranties with a defined year on it.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Also gaf was first to switch to ltd lifetime warranties instead of 30,40 and 50 year shingle warranties. That one really pissed me off too. Was a lot easier to explain warranties with a defined year on it.

The manufacturer warranties are pretty much BS, though anyway because most will prorate and not pay for re-installation in a large failure. Lots of horror stores on the internet.

In areas with extreme weather (where we are 110-120+ degree summers are the norm) the actual life of the roof is about half what the manufacturer says. We bought a 40 year comp roof when we built our house (upgraded from the standard 20 included with the house price) back when they were still putting years on it. The 20s in our neighborhood lasted 10 before they started shedding and our 40 started shedding noticibly last year at 20 years old. Then we had a huge hailstorm last year with giant hail I've never seen in CA. Insurance is buying us a new roof.

Been through all the same confusifications as the OP with this process. Ruled out GAF right off the bat. Looked at Owens-Corning and Certainteed came across a local roofer with good ratings that's big on Malarkey. After looking at their lines, we're likely going with the Malarkey Windsor, but the contract's not signed yet.

#53 3 years ago

Based on my research, roofers really seem to like Malarkey. I can’t get them in Florida.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Based on my research, roofers really seem to like Malarkey. I can’t get them in Florida.

Yeah, I don't understand why some roofing materials are regional. Maybe because of the hurricanes in FL, Malarkey doesn't want the headaches for claims?

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, I don't understand why some roofing materials are regional. Maybe because of the hurricanes in FL, Malarkey doesn't want the headaches for claims?

Distribution centers are expensive; they just haven’t gotten to the point where they want to / can expand. I’m sure it will happen if they are that popular

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Distribution centers are expensive; they just haven’t gotten to the point where they want to / can expand. I’m sure it will happen if they are that popular

It's just weird that they're available pretty much everywhere in the south and southeast, but when you get to Alabama, Georgia, Florida - nothing. Makes it seem like it's a weather-related decision by Malarkey to stay out of that region.

https://malarkeyroofing.com/where-to-buy

Set the range to 400 miles and try Atlanta GA or Orlando FL. Then try Dallas TX or Omaha NE. Massive difference in availability.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I'm trying to decide between GAF and Certainteed for an asphalt shingle re-roof. A couple of the estimators have told me I've got enough wind damage to likely file a successful insurance claim for a new roof. A number of my neighbors have successfully done just that in the last few months (mostly using the GAF roofer).
    I'm leaning towards the Certainteed Landmark vs. GAF Timberline HD for the shingles. The GAF roofer offers a 2-year workmanship warranty, which I know sucks. They also mostly use contractors to do the work. The larger Certainteed roofer offers 5 years standard and is Select certified. They tell me most of their workers are employees, but they sometimes use contractors. The smaller Certainteed roofer is not Select certified but offers a 7-year workmanship warranty.
    My head is spinning with all the little details.

get a solar roof. If insurance is paying part and you get a big tax credit, I’d be all over the that.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

get a solar roof. If insurance is paying part and you get a big tax credit, I’d be all over the that.

I dunno where he is, but the energy companies have been lobbying like crazy (and in many cases succeeding) to take away incentives for solar roof installations in CA and NV. Also, cities like mine protect the city owned electric plant by removing/reducing rebates for solar and not approving 100% solar installations so you still have to buy some electricity from the city. It's lame and should be illegal. Strictly a play by traditional old energy companies to keep their game going just a little longer.

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I dunno where he is, but the energy companies have been lobbying like crazy (and in many cases succeeding) to take away incentives for solar roof installations in CA and NV. Also, cities like mine protect the city owned electric plant by removing/reducing rebates for solar and not approving 100% solar installations so you still have to buy some electricity from the city. It's lame and should be illegal. Strictly a play by traditional old energy companies to keep their game going just a little longer.

See also: oil companies, tobacco companies...

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

I'm in Florida. I love the idea of it, but it just doesn't work for me. A little over $62K before ~$11K in tax credits and that doesn't count over $13K for 2 power walls. This is probably not my forever home. I know insurance gets more expensive with a big solar roof install as well. Based on Tesla estimates, which I'm sure are generous, I recoup the cost of the roof + power walls in a little over 21 years (not factoring the insurance premium, or maintenance/parts).

Does anyone really believe those power walls are gonna last 21 years?

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I'm in Florida. I love the idea of it, but it just doesn't work for me. A little over $62K before ~$11K in tax credits and that doesn't count over $13K for 2 power walls. This is probably not my forever home. I know insurance gets more expensive with a big solar roof install as well. Based on Tesla estimates, which I'm sure are generous, I recoup the cost of the roof + power walls in a little over 21 years (not factoring the insurance premium, or maintenance/parts).
    Does anyone really believe those power walls are gonna last 21 years?

Yeah. I was just hoping that with insurance covering the cost of a normal replacement, maybe it would pencil out.

And powerwalls probably won’t last that long. Until they get the million mile battery in them!

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

Yeah. I was just hoping that with insurance covering the cost of a normal replacement, maybe it would pencil out.
    And powerwalls probably won’t last that long. Until they get the million mile battery in them!

I'm always keeping an eye on it. We need a breakthrough in efficiencies with the batteries and the panels.

2 months later
    #63 3 years ago

How did the new roof work out for you?

#64 3 years ago

Steel if your staying in the house for some time.

Cardboard and snot for a quick sale.

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballsoul:

Steel if your staying in the house for some time.

I had metal roofs put on my house and all my rental houses. They look awesome!

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

How did the new roof work out for you?

Still waiting. They didn't pre-allocate my shingles, then Covid started impacted the manufacturer so there are supply issues. They are expected to arrive this week though.

Thankfully no hurricanes have hit and we dodged a tornado in August.

#67 3 years ago

Roofers are ripping off the old roof now. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

#68 3 years ago

Roof goes on top.

But for real advice, work from home and keep an eye on it. A friend had his roof done a couple years ago and the roofers eyeballed everything instead of snapping lines. None of the shingles lined up. It might not sound like much, but it's very distracting to look at a roof that nothing lines up on.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Roof goes on top.
    But for real advice, work from home and keep an eye on it. A friend had his roof done a couple years ago and the roofers eyeballed everything instead of snapping lines. None of the shingles lined up. It might not sound like much, but it's very distracting to look at a roof that nothing lines up on.

There wasn't any snapping lines with this one, but it looks good. My neighbor just had her roof done with Owens Corning Duration shingles. They look so much better with regard to color, but they weigh so much less.

It took 3 days and we got really lucky with the weather. This weekend will be a test I'm sure...

5 months later
    #70 3 years ago

For anyone in the market for a new roof, seriously take a good look at your venting. I'm sitting in my office on this sunny, 90+ degree day and am just amazed that I'm comfortable and the heat pump is not running continuously. My home originally only had 3 (maybe 4) offside vents on the main ridge, none over the garage and office/bedroom ridges. It used to get so hot in those rooms. I had them install shingle over ridge vents on every ridge. What a difference! Probably could have paid for the new roof with the energy savings over the years.

#71 3 years ago

Went through this 2 years ago. Contractor used Certainteed Landmark Pro shingles. (Did all new ridge vents, plus gutter covers too, so I don't have to climb the ladders). We looked at metal but it was 2x the cost and for the added durability in terms of years, I'm way dead by then so I didn't care, LOL.

Has a 130 MPH wind warranty for the next 15 years. Carries a 50-year warranty coverage on the products, which can be transferable once every 12 years. Includes new material, tear-off, cleanup and disposal at any time during those next 50 years.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from twoplays25c:

Went through this 2 years ago. Contractor used Certainteed Landmark Pro shingles. (Did all new ridge vents, plus gutter covers too, so I don't have to climb the ladders). We looked at metal but it was 2x the cost and for the added durability in terms of years, I'm way dead by then so I didn't care, LOL.
    Has a 130 MPH wind warranty for the next 15 years. Carries a 50-year warranty coverage on the products, which can be transferable once every 12 years. Includes new material, tear-off, cleanup and disposal at any time during those next 50 years.

Roofing shingle warranties are a joke. Good luck if you have a problem outside of the first 5 years or so, regardless of what the bill of goods warranty says.

#73 3 years ago

Likely your roof already done . Advise I offer not limited to roofing .

I frequented building supply places as contractor for better pricing ( I only worked on my own property ) for years prior building my home . Became good friends with workers there . When forced to pay for job I could not handle my selection criteria.

Hey buddy what are the 3 best contractors you would use on your own home ( insert your task here ) ? Ask at all preemmen commercial building supply stores . After 3 or more stores where is the overlap . That is your contractor pool .

Qualify next question by telling with how long you plan to live in home . What materials would you use ? Any warranty issues you have observed ? Do your web research on once again overlap suggestions .

Last suggestion likely cause some folks shit bricks . I always had super relationship with building inspectors ( I do not cut corners ) . Name all the overlap contractors one at a time . Look into inspectors face as you state each name . They cannot recommend single contractor but you may receive good feedback from facial expression .

Worked really well for me .
    Good luck Shane

#74 3 years ago

Don't know if it applies to you are not, but we get lots of hail where I live. After buying a new house in 2007 and putting 3 new roofs on in less than 5 years, then I spent the extra money and went with a class 4 shingle. Since that time, we've had several hail storms and nearly all of my neighbors have had new roofs at least once or twice (some more), but every time after a storm I've had mine inspected and it's in perfect shape.

#75 3 years ago

Just moved to Florida and having a new house built. $25000 upgrade for a barreled/tiled or metal roof. Is it worth the price? I say yes. I'm leaning towards metal. My new neighbors house was built in 2008 and his asphalt shingles need to be replaced. He got 3 quotes which averaged $16000. Asphalt shingles life span 18 to 25 years maybe less in the Florida sun. What will a asphalt shingle roof cost 20 years from now? Just look how much pinball machines have increased over 20 years. CraZy..ha ha I will leave that for the other thread.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Don't know if it applies to you are not, but we get lots of hail where I live. After buying a new house in 2007 and putting 3 new roofs on in less than 5 years, then I spent the extra money and went with a class 4 shingle. Since that time, we've had several hail storms and nearly all of my neighbors have had new roofs at least once or twice (some more), but every time after a storm I've had mine inspected and it's in perfect shape.

I couldn't get class 4 shingles in my area. One of those regional things...

Quoted from Nazz26:

Just moved to Florida and having a new house built. $25000 upgrade for a barreled/tiled or metal roof. Is it worth the price? I say yes. I'm leaning towards metal. My new neighbors house was built in 2008 and his asphalt shingles need to be replaced. He got 3 quotes which averaged $16000.

My original asphalt shingle roof lasted ~23 years in Florida, but I would say most don't make it that long. If you go metal, make sure they don't cheap out on the screws. My roof was just under $16K and was actually one of the lowest bids.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I couldn't get class 4 shingles in my area. One of those regional things...

My original asphalt shingle roof lasted ~23 years in Florida, but I would say most don't make it that long. If you go metal, make sure they don't cheap out on the screws. My roof was just under $16K and was actually one of the lowest bids.

No screws showing. It’s a standing metal roof.

430EC0C4-203E-4474-8FFE-535097B0D320 (resized).png430EC0C4-203E-4474-8FFE-535097B0D320 (resized).png
    #78 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nazz26:

No screws showing. It’s a standing metal roof.
    [quoted image]

Looks nice! Showing or not will they last 40 years? I've heard of issues with metal roofs being installed with shi* screws because a screw is a screw right? What is the wind speed rating?

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Looks nice! Showing or not will they last 40 years? I've heard of issues with metal roofs being installed with shi* screws because a screw is a screw right? What is the wind speed rating?

Not sure of wind rating but will definitely give the GC a ask before I sign for the upgrade. Thats something I need to know being that house will be built in southwest Florida less then a mile from the Gulf. Thanks.

#80 3 years ago

I used a local Russian dude that was highly recommended. Still got 4 estimates and everybody sent salesmen instead of him. He was going to be the only onsite fireman and that sealed the deal.

His estimate was only 2nd lowest but he went thru it by line item and showed where that dude was cutting costs and he was taking a 'better' but more costly approach. Googled his explanations after he left and they checked so he was hired. 3years later no complaints

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nazz26:

Not sure of wind rating but will definitely give the GC a ask before I sign for the upgrade. Thats something I need to know being that house will be built in southwest Florida less then a mile from the Gulf. Thanks.

Oh, Hell yeah! There's probably a point where you say F it and let insurance deal with it. But if you give any credence to the thinking that warmer oceans make for stronger hurricanes? I think Certainteed will warranty up to 130 MPH if you use all their shi* (starters, ridge, etc.).

#82 3 years ago

Ridge vents are horrible. The main problem is they are never big enough, the second problem is they don’t work well. A power attic ventilator will drop your attic temp far more than s ridge vent, even after cost of electricity to run the fan it’s a win! Rooftop vents only, gable power vents don’t do much at all.

#83 3 years ago

I like having gable vents and ridge vents for exhaust of a whole house fan. Nothing drops the temperature in a house quicker.

#84 3 years ago

following

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobhvacguy:

Ridge vents are horrible. The main problem is they are never big enough, the second problem is they don’t work well. A power attic ventilator will drop your attic temp far more than s ridge vent, even after cost of electricity to run the fan it’s a win! Rooftop vents only, gable power vents don’t do much at all.

What do you do about the existing venting? I've seen a few homes with those powered fans and they still have their ridge vents. That doesn't make much sense to me.

#86 3 years ago

Google was listening and this popped up in my news feed. It's a pretty good read...

https://hvacinsider.com/vent-those-hot-attics-carefully/

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-a-new-roof-any-advice-or-words-of-wisdom/page/2?hl=yaksplat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.