• 19 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pmoore66
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CamScanner 05-15-2022 16.53.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_8553 (resized).JPG
IMG_3866 (resized).JPG
IMG_3865 (resized).JPG
IMG_3864 (resized).JPG
IMG_3863 (resized).JPG
IMG_3862 (resized).JPG
IMG_3861 (resized).JPG
IMG_3860 (resized).JPG
IMG_3859 (resized).JPG
IMG_3858 (resized).JPG
IMG_3853 (resized).PNG
IMG_3856 (resized).PNG
IMG_3855 (resized).PNG
IMG_3854 (resized).PNG
#1 5 years ago

I'm picking up this 1947 Mexico this weekend, sight unseen other than a couple pics. I have never owned an EM, so I don't know what I'm getting into. I have been without a pin for a few years and this popped up. I don't know what these are worth, but for me it's easily worth the asking price. I really like the history. Supposedly, it's been HOU since the 50's.

I know at a minimum it needs rubber. I saw an EBay posting for $20 for a rubber set for this pin. Actually I'm surprised to find such. Is that a good buy?
IMG_3855 (resized).PNGIMG_3855 (resized).PNGIMG_3856 (resized).PNGIMG_3856 (resized).PNGIMG_3854 (resized).PNGIMG_3854 (resized).PNGIMG_3853 (resized).PNGIMG_3853 (resized).PNG

#2 5 years ago

That looks fun. According to ipdb Mexico was originally flipperless so this machine was converted at some point in the same way as the pics on ipdb. That's a nice part of its long history.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I'm picking up this 1947 Mexico this weekend, sight unseen other than a couple pics. I have never owned an EM, so I don't know what I'm getting into. I have been without a pin for a few years and this popped up. I don't know what these are worth, but for me it's easily worth the asking price. I really like the history. Supposedly, it's been HOU since the 50's.
I know at a minimum it needs rubber. I saw an EBay posting for $20 for a rubber set for this pin. Actually I'm surprised to find such. Is that a good buy?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What a stunning machine. Congratulations.

These flipperless (well, officially) machines have very interesting rulesets, usually with a couple of different scoring modes (points, specials, samba's, whatever).

Don't expect the gameplay to be anywhere near what you're used to when it comes to more modern pinball machines. These flipperless machines are much more a game of chance than they are a game of skill. The experience is very different for it.

However, if you take the time to figure the scoring logic out and make it run well, you might find that it's actually a very pleasant experience to play it. I own one flipperless machine myself (Genco's 1940 Big Game) and I play it quite a lot.

You might want to consider to bring the machine into its original condition again (without flippers) if you prefer an original experience. For the price vs the condition it seems to be in, you can't really go wrong.

#4 5 years ago

There seems to be many of these around. There was a very nice one at the recent York, PA show.
I bought one for $60 maybe a year or so ago. It was in decent condition, but not nearly as good as yours or the one at York.
Sometimes you'll find them retrofitted with flippers. Otherwise, the gameplay isn't terribly inspiring, but it's a good looking machine.

#5 5 years ago

Any pictures under the playfield of these retrofit flipper assemblies? Are they "impulse" style flippers (with a two terminal coil) or are they normal style (with a three terminal coil)?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Any pictures under the playfield of these retrofit flipper assemblies? Are they "impulse" style flippers (with a two terminal coil) or are they normal style (with a three terminal coil)?

I'm going to be picking it up tomorrow or Sunday. I'll get more pictures after it's in my house. I'm also going to get as much info about its history as possible.

The eBay listing for rubbers is gone. I saw the listing for them before I knew I was up to get this. Oh well.

#7 5 years ago

I would snatch one of those if it became available nearby, really nice looking machine!

#8 5 years ago

I picked up the Mexico today and was happy that it was lighter than '90's Williams pins. I was thrown for a bit of a loop that the backbox didn't fold down, but it still survived the transport. The machine plays as advertised. I need to find a post that is missing and add the new rubbers I ordered last night and it will be basically full functional.

The seller is going to see if her mom will write a narrative. The short story given to me is the seller's mother was born circa 1950. She believes it started out in a pool hall in Belleville Illinois. The mom remembers it being in her neighbor's basement as a young child before talking her parents in getting it. Since then it has been in the seller's grandparents' basement and her parents' basement. When the seller purchased their current home, which has a lot of square feet, the mother suggested the seller move it to that house. Now, the seller is redoing the house and is trying to get the extra room back; hence the selling of the Mexico.

Here are pics I took tonight. Sorry about lighting.

IMG_3858 (resized).JPGIMG_3858 (resized).JPGIMG_3859 (resized).JPGIMG_3859 (resized).JPGIMG_3860 (resized).JPGIMG_3860 (resized).JPGIMG_3861 (resized).JPGIMG_3861 (resized).JPGIMG_3862 (resized).JPGIMG_3862 (resized).JPGIMG_3863 (resized).JPGIMG_3863 (resized).JPGIMG_3864 (resized).JPGIMG_3864 (resized).JPGIMG_3865 (resized).JPGIMG_3865 (resized).JPGIMG_3866 (resized).JPGIMG_3866 (resized).JPG
#9 5 years ago

Yikes! Your comment about the head not folding down made me cringe.
I've come across more than one game over the years whose head was torn off by someone thinking that it just folds down!
Nice find, and interesting provenance.
Congratulations on your first EM, but don't judge EM gameplay by this game. Even in it's day it wasn't state of the art, but United sure had some good looking games.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I was thrown for a bit of a loop that the backbox didn't fold down, but it still survived the transport.

ROLMFAO! Too funny.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

ROLMFAO! Too funny.

Yeah, I know, but I have zero experience with EM's and this is a really old one. My main concern was whether the backbox could support its own weight being dollied down steps and to my Odyssey. My buddy was there to help stabilize it, so it moved just fine.

I also just learned after playing around you reset the score by holding the coin mechanism in. It makes a lot of noise, but the score goes backwards to zero.

Does anyone have any idea what the counter is on the bottom of the playfield? It also has a button on the bottom of the cabinet that appears to do one thing, which is force a tilt. I'm wondering why that would be necessary.

#12 5 years ago

The button on the bottom is for knocking off credits. These games did not award replays for credits. You were paid off by the establishment, then the credits were knocked off until it was back to zero for the next player.
I have to find a link that I will post next.
A Pinsider named Steve Fury lovingly restored a similar machine; a United "Singapore". He posted a very well made video on YouTube, documenting the restoration and demonstrating the gameplay.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Congratulations on your first EM, but don't judge EM gameplay by this game. Even in it's day it wasn't state of the art, but United sure had some good looking games.

Thanks, it was a very pleasant surprise the kids don't care at all about how basic the game is (these aren't all mine). My youngest prefer the Mexico to Doctor who!

IMG_8553 (resized).JPGIMG_8553 (resized).JPG

Quoted from jrpinball:

The button on the bottom is for knocking off credits. These games did not award replays for credits. You were paid off by the establishment, then the credits were knocked off until it was back to zero for the next player.
I have to find a link that I will post next.
A Pinsider named Steve Fury lovingly restored a similar machine; a United "Singapore". He posted a very well made video on YouTube, documenting the restoration and demonstrating the gameplay.

Thanks, I'll check it out for sure.

#15 5 years ago

Very cool looking! For some reason I see Walter White playing one near the Border. You are now ready to get a full-feature EM, I recommend Klondike (just because I have one and they are affordable and fun).

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Thanks, it was a very pleasant surprise the kids don't care at all about how basic the game is (these aren't all mine). My youngest prefer the Mexico to Doctor who!

That's so cool!

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I picked up the Mexico today and was happy that it was lighter than '90's Williams pins. I was thrown for a bit of a loop that the backbox didn't fold down, but it still survived the transport. The machine plays as advertised. I need to find a post that is missing and add the new rubbers I ordered last night and it will be basically full functional.
The seller is going to see if her mom will write a narrative. The short story given to me is the seller's mother was born circa 1950. She believes it started out in a pool hall in Belleville Illinois. The mom remembers it being in her neighbor's basement as a young child before talking her parents in getting it. Since then it has been in the seller's grandparents' basement and her parents' basement. When the seller purchased their current home, which has a lot of square feet, the mother suggested the seller move it to that house. Now, the seller is redoing the house and is trying to get the extra room back; hence the selling of the Mexico.
Here are pics I took tonight. Sorry about lighting.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the pictures! It looks great for its age.

I'd advise you to take the head off the machine for transportation next time you move it. You do this by:
1. opening the backside of the backbox;
2. detaching the connectors that hold the wiring that goes to the playfield;
3. removing the bolts that connect the backbox to the cabinet. Be careful with this last step: The head sits loose on the cabinet after removing these bolts.

Remove all legs too. This is the only proper and 'safe' way to move an old pin. Take pictures in case you're afraid that you won't know how to put it back.

Good luck!

#18 5 years ago

Here's a shout out to pcxpinball on Ebay. I re-found their ad for the rubber ring kit, and with free shipping the asking price was great. They shipped to me in two days without promising that, which is awesome. Their kit was for the flipper-less version of Mexico, so I needed some extra rings to cover the flipper add-on modification. They also sell individual rings, which they are sending me today. I highly recommend them.

After replacing most of the rubbers the game is really changed. The balls move around much more. This weekend I will be cleaning the playfield and then wax. I expect more fun after that.

3 years later
#19 1 year ago

Reviving this old thread as I added a Mexico to my collection this past week. I have been chipping away at several hiccups. The Lock Out relay doesn’t stay held when starting a game.
Thanks RyanStl because I was sitting at the bench with my lifter parts fresh from the Sonic cleaner and cursing under my breath for accidentally deleting pix that would have helped me get it back together. Your posted pics were just enough for me.
Here’s the scorecard.
CamScanner 05-15-2022 16.53.pdfCamScanner 05-15-2022 16.53.pdf
Quick comment on the two under cabinet buttons. The one closest to the player removes credits. The second button back is a power off switch that RyanStl describes as “force a tilt”

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getting-a-1947-mexico and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.