New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 42366)

Getaway with new Rotten Dog board reboots

By Willy39

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PDXGeek
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have a brand new Rotten Dog driver board and the game reset not during gameplay but in attract mode. Being that it is a brand new board would the problem more than likely also be the Z Connector or any other connector? Anything else I should check? I did check voltage from the outlet and that seems to be normal.

#2 7 years ago

The fact that it's in attract mode is odd. In my very limited experience , I haven't heard of a WPC doing that. However, I can tell you I've had problems on the same hardware caused by a connector on the right side of what I think is the driver board. It may be J102 or something; I believe it had two black and two grey wires going to it and definitely was labeled "secondary"

#3 7 years ago

Change the connectors on the power cable that runs between the CPU board and the Driver board. Mine was doing the same thing and it fixed it. It has the Gray striped wires and change both sides to Trifurcon based connectors. Prior to doing the fix, check the voltage at the 5V Test point on the driver, then on the last pin of the ROM on the CPU board. If they are different, the problem is the connectors on the cable. Mine was 5.01V on the Driver and 4.72V on the CPU. After changing the connectors, the CPU was up to 4.98V and has worked great since.

#4 7 years ago

Follow the step-by-step process documented at www.pinwiki.com

Please let us know what you find
--
Chris Hibler

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I will try to check it out this weekend and keep you guys posted!

#6 7 years ago

Also, if you have 5 or 6 pins on the same circuit, they will reset spontaneously. Limit it to 3, if you can. I see you've got a bunch, so that might be the problem.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

I have a brand new Rotten Dog driver board and the game reset not during gameplay but in attract mode. Being that it is a brand new board would the problem more than likely also be the Z Connector or any other connector? Anything else I should check? I did check voltage from the outlet and that seems to be normal.

After my own challenges with a new RD board, I wouldn't necessarily "remove" the RD board from the equation as well. Guys here have good suggestions where to start though.

#8 7 years ago

I had the same issue with one in TAF. Had 5 volts at TP2 but at the pin going to the cpu board only had 4.7 or something like that can't rembmer the coneciton number. Same board was tried in a TZ and did the same thing. Not sure what the issue with it is, it's like it isn't getting the entire voltage across the board to the pin.

I got the original to work so I haven't had a chance to mess with it. I was going to try and run a jumper from tp2 to the output pin but not sure that's a good idea or not.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Also, if you have 5 or 6 pins on the same circuit, they will reset spontaneously. Limit it to 3, if you can. I see you've got a bunch, so that might be the problem.

Or if that's a problem, purchase a large computer UPS. That will filter out surges

#10 7 years ago

It happened with only the getaway game powered on so don't think its an issue with the power coming from the outlet. I checked power and I am getting correct voltage at the outlet as well as the service outlet inside the cabinet.

#11 7 years ago

Don't forget that pesky thermistor in the power box!

Rick. " I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Don't forget that pesky thermistor in the power box!
Rick. " I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

If its that, it will typically only reboot on surges like flippers and should clear up after bring on an warned up for ~20 min.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

It happened with only the getaway game powered on so don't think its an issue with the power coming from the outlet. I checked power and I am getting correct voltage at the outlet as well as the service outlet inside the cabinet.

Until you check for 5V on the CPU board, there is no point in doing anything else.

#14 7 years ago

Checked TP2 on driver board and it was 5.07v. Checked last pin on rom on CPU board and it was 4.99v. So there is some power loss but 4.99 "should" be enough to not cause reset so i thought. So my next step should be to change out molex connectors plugging into j114 (driver board) and j210 (CPU board)? Correct? Thanks!

#15 7 years ago

4.99V is fine. Maybe there's a problem on the fliptronics board? Since it's power is inline, I guess it could cause a power drop on the 5V.

Do you have another machine you could swap a fliptronics board from?

#16 7 years ago

I also found a broken diode on the right flipper that I re-soldered. I re-seated the j114, j210, and the j101. Since it is a new board, I also made sure the screws were touching the grounds on the driver board. It appears the bottom right was really not touching so I added a washer to make sure of contact. I was able to play 3 games in a row without it rebooting. It was about 12:30am so did not have anymore time to really keep it on long and play more games. Today I am going to turn it on and keep it on for a few hours and play multiple games. Crossing my finger that I may have fixed the issue. I will update the post once I find out! And I do not have another williams from that era to swap out the fliptronics with. Thanks!

#17 7 years ago

And I did all of that mentioned in my last post before checking the voltage. So, I have no tests prior to that to see if voltage actually increased on the cpu board to 4.99v.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

I also found a broken diode on the right flipper that I re-soldered.

The purpose of that diode is to shunt back EMF from the coil collapsing back into the coil... Without that diode, guess where that pulse goes? Back into the power grid of the pin causing little voltage spikes.

There is a reason why most repair folks buy 1N4004's in bulk.

#19 7 years ago

Lol. I am finding out that most of problems with these machines usually come from the smallest and cheapest part in the game! But at least they are cheap and easy fixes too!

#20 7 years ago

Ain't that the truth.....

When you feel this is fixed, you may want to re-title your base post and add *solved* so Jim from Rottendog can rest easy.

Couple tips someone mentioned, try to not put more than 3 pins on a circuit. If you look at the sticker most list max at about 8 amps. Not to get to 8 amps you basically have to have all incandescent lights and all solenoids firing at once with the sound blaring, so you usually going to pull about half that. Going to LED helps a lot. Playing a couple at a time helps a lot.

At 8 x 3 that is a possible peak of 24 on a 15 or 20 amp circuit.. You will get voltage drop.

Nominally your around 4 x 3 or 12A

#21 7 years ago

Only time I saw a WPC (Funhouse) resetting in attract mode it was an issue on the CPU. In that case the ASIC needed to be reseated. Actually just pressed in tighter and the problem was solved. Worth a try.

Parker

#22 7 years ago

Which one on the CPU is ASIC? I will try that as well. And I did install LED kit so hoping that helps with power. All of my games are LED now. Can't believe how hot the little bulbs burn before LED!

#23 7 years ago

Don't play with the ASIC unless you still have a problem. No need to make problems by poking at things that may/may not have any bearing until your sure that the diode did not fix your problem.

#24 7 years ago

Replacing the small ribbon cable fixed my Getaway reset issues.

#25 7 years ago

Seems unlikely the flipper diode is related to resets during attract mode.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

Which one on the CPU is ASIC? I will try that as well. And I did install LED kit so hoping that helps with power. All of my games are LED now. Can't believe how hot the little bulbs burn before LED!

The square chip in the square socket. You don't need to take it out (you need tool to do it anyway) just press it with your thumb to make sure it is seated in the socket.

Parker

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Seems unlikely the flipper diode is related to resets during attract mode.

Missed that. Too much mud in the water. After bolting down, soldering and resetting the cables he posted the machine was running ok. Still should let it alone until it acts up again. No need inducing problems it already fixed by poking at chips at random.

#28 7 years ago

It still rebooted during gameplay yesterday. So, what to try next? Should I change the j114 and j210 connectors? It seems like voltage is fine. The other suggestions are just push in the ASIC to make sure it is seated properly, and also change out the short ribbon cable from the power driver board to cpu board.

#29 7 years ago

Follow the pinwiki reset article. It's a great step by step.

#30 7 years ago

I havent read everything here, so you may have already done this, but try a different power circuit and make sure nothing else is running. Getaway is one of those sensitive types for some reason. Oh, and follow pinwiki ;p

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
3,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside