Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flip_switch.jpg
large.jpg
20151006_230121.jpg
20151006_230022.jpg
Getaway_R_flipper_1.jpg
#1 8 years ago

There's an issue with the bottom right flipper on my Getaway. It appears to work fine when you use it when the ball isn't in play, but when you actually make a shot the power is almost non-existent. The upper flipper works fine. If I try to hold the flipper while I actuate it, I can feel it working but it can't even raise the flipper from its rest position. I've changed the coil with no difference.

I got the game as a project and it had the same problem at that time. I rebuilt the game and the flippers about a year ago and the problem went away. Only recently it has come back.

Any ideas?

#2 8 years ago

With a game started and front door closed, playfield on prop rod, connect an alligator lead to ground and tap it (careful, it'll spark) on the coil lug with the BLUE/VIOLET wire. Do you get a good, snappy fire?

Getaway R flipper 1.jpgGetaway R flipper 1.jpg

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

With a game started and front door closed, playfield on prop rod, connect an alligator lead to ground and tap it (careful, it'll spark) on the coil lug with the BLUE/VIOLET wire. Do you get a good, snappy fire?
Getaway R flipper 1.jpg

also check your flipper button switch if its an opto. had that same exact problem on judge dredd and the opto was dirty. simple fix that took me a while to figure out

#4 8 years ago

I'll ground the solenoid tomorrow and see how "snappy" it is.

No optos, older style leaf switches

#5 8 years ago

I wonder if I've found the problem. See attached photos.

There are four leads on the right flipper leaf switch, but only three are wired. The orange wire has some insulation stripped away and I wonder if it was connected to the fourth lead that has no wire. The manual doesn't specifically show the wiring of the leaf switch, and I can't find any other reference photos.

Can someone take a picture of their leaf switch and send it to me; I'm sure any early 90's leaf switch with multiple flippers would be the same too.

20151006_230022.jpg20151006_230022.jpg
20151006_230121.jpg20151006_230121.jpg

#6 8 years ago

The orange wire is shared by the flipper switches. It should be connected to one side of both switches.

#7 8 years ago

By both switches do you mean left and right sides of the cabinet, because there is an orange wire on the left flipper switch too?

Or do you mean the stripped section of the orange wire should be attached to the lead with no wire?

I'm confused because the replacement part from Marco only has three leads, not four.

large.jpglarge.jpg

#8 8 years ago

Only on the right side of the cabinet. The orange wire goes on the middle lug. The lighter wire on the lug toward the cabinet wall. The darker wire to the lug furthest the cabinet wall.

When pressing the flipper button very slowly, the bottom flipper should fire first, then the top as the button is pressed all the way in. If the top flipper fires first, swap the two wires on the outer lugs.

flip switch.jpgflip switch.jpg

#9 8 years ago

Looks like I got it figured out. Cut all the old soldered connections, cleaned them up and redid them correctly per directions here and it looks like its back up and working again.

Thanks everyone.

1 year later
#10 7 years ago

Well, I need to resurrect this thread again. I'm continuing to have issues with the right flippers and it has me baffled.

With the flipper switch in my hand, I touch the first two leafs together and the bottom flipper fires no problem and you can hold the flipper no problem. I touch the second two leafs together and the upper flipper fires no problem and you can hold the flipper no problem.

If I touch all three leafs together at the same time, the neither flipper hardly fires and they won't hold. What's more, when I do this the DMD is scrambled briefly until I release the leafs.

Anyone have any new ideas?

1 week later
#11 7 years ago

Have since sold the machine, including the flipper issue - never did get it resolved.

Good luck to the new owner - he has some very capable technical help locally so I'm certain the issue will be resolved soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Trade
4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-weak-right-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.