• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hs2 (resized).png
IMG_0271.JPG
20161016_034144 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ajnin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hello,

All 4 buttons used to work fine. Then the button to enter the menu and the vol up button both stopped working. I have done the following (please note this is my first pinball and I am not very experienced)

even if I short the switch or wires directly it still does not work

All the below have made no different
- Rewired the original switch
- Replaced the switch
- using a multi-meter I checked the connectivity from the vol 5 wire to the socket. confirmed its OK. Did the same for the menu button and the 2 working buttons all the same. All good
- removed the board they connect to and checked the tracks from the pins from the buttons to their corresponding pins connected to the bigger wiring loom

I don't know where the bigger wiring loom goes and I was unable to trace the wires.

Any ideas where I might look ?

Also I think this is related, if I do a slam tilt with the coin door open the volume just keeps going up to MAX or until I turn the machine off. This is how I have to turn it up when needed.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Oh I also looked for Acid damage where the batteries are. whoever had it before me swapped the batteries with a coin type battery. I do not see any leakage or old damage

#5 7 years ago

I will get some pictures in the morning. I used the multi meter to check if everything is earthed ok and it seems to be. None of hte coin lights are working either, but i put that down to rust. They never worked. Pics to follow in about 12 hours.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Oddly enough I spent a couple of hours last night replacing my switch due to a malfunctioning button. In my case when I first bought my Getaway the switch did not work at all (talk about a newbie who didn't even know this was something I needed to look at). Anyway, my issue ended up being that none of the 4 switches were grounded properly, so after some rewiring and soldering all was good. However, it does not sound like this would be your issue if all four buttons worked properly before.
Can you pleases post a closeup photo of the underside of your switch that shows all of the wiring, so we can at least verify if this is correct? If indeed wired properly, can you test yor ground wire for continuity to make sure there is not a break in its somewhere? Finally, I can't look at the schematics right now, but is there a fuse in this circuit that might be blown?

#6 7 years ago

Thanks for the reply's

#7 7 years ago

Which board had the damage and how did you repair it ?

Quoted from Pinballdoctor1:

Is there 12V on the CPU......if not, the switch matrix or direct switches won't work ?

#9 7 years ago

Hello,

Thanks for the help. I have checked all the LEDs on all the board including LED1. They are all normal as detailed in the getaway manual. LED1 is on. I also checked the voltages look OK

I think it is time I call a pinball repair man. It really sucks not being able to access the Menus.

Thanks for all the helps guys

I have repaired many pinballs.
often the cpu doesn't "see" the switches because the CPU is not getting 12V. (It only needs 5V to boot up)
Can you check for 5v and 12v on the CPU (Connector J210, Pin 7 and 6 = 12v, Pin 1 and 3 = GND)
The 12v is comming from the powerboard at connector J114 (Pin 1 and 2 are +12v, pin 5 and 7 are Gnd)
if there is no 12v, check the LED1 on the powerboard.
if LED1 is not on, check testpoint TP3 and fuse F115, F114
BR1 gives +18v and after the LM7812 there should be 12v

2 weeks later
#14 7 years ago

Try this :
Put pinballmachine on.
Remove the connector J205 on the CPU board
now put a jumper (or screwdriver blade) on pin 9 and pin 10 (J205)
The pinball should enter the testmenu now.
If this doesn't work then you know the CPU is at fault

Testing this tonight. Sorry for my delay. I will keep you posted.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Here is how I wired mine, a little difficult to tell because of the angle, but here is how it is wired:
- each respective power wire is soldered to lower left contact
- ground wire is soldered to middle left pin on first switch
- I ran a large metal paper clip wire through all center leads starting from switch 4 until it made contact with back of ground wit solder on switch on
- soldered in place on back of middle left pin where ground wire is attached
- then soldered ground rod on middle right pin of switch 2-4

Perfect. Did you use a real paperclip or it a type of wire you can purchase ?

#16 7 years ago

Try this :
Put pinballmachine on.

I did as you said.. and it looks like its the CPU. I checked the High Speed II WPC Schematics Revised May 17 1993 (see attachment), and I am not sure how to read Schematics, but mine looks to be wired different. Pin 5 and Pin 11 are not wired at all. Pin 10 had a black cable running to it, which I am guessing is ground.

If it is the CPU is there much I can do ? As I cant see any damage.. do I need to look into getting a replacement board ?

Hs2 (resized).pngHs2 (resized).png

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Have you confirmed that there is no damage to the traces from leaking batteries (possibly some time ago) on the MPU under where the batteries sit?
Around the LM339 I.Cs along the bottom of the board.

I will remove the board tomorrow, but it looks good to me.. I will investigate more and confirm

#19 7 years ago

Try this :
Put pinballmachine on.

Thanks for the tips. I just purchased a Elenco LP900/625 Logic Probe. Started to watch a few youtube videos on how to use one. I did not know what these things were or did until yesterday, so it will be an interesting experiment using this to help confirm the issue

2 weeks later
#20 7 years ago

progress - I have found some resistors that are not working. I will replace them.. I am now building a desk powersupply. Just waiting on the plug.

1 month later
#21 7 years ago

I got this working. It was the LM339 chip on U16. It was replaced and then started to work.

Thanks for all the help guys

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

Trade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ajnin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-vol-up-and-menu-buttons-do-not-work-vol-down-and-enter-does?tu=ajnin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.