Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161202_181750 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi.

My Getaway is reporting "Check SW 85 Opto Made Loop". In the switch matrix, this is listed as SW84. On the diagram, SW 84 is Listed as Opto Made Loop, SW 85 isn't even labelled on the picture / diagram. Completely missing a label on the picture / diagram is the opto just beneath the mountain plastic of the ramp, I'm thinking this must be the actual Opto Made Loop switch, since when I test it it doesn't respond. Also, when I run the supercharger speed test, it reports a ridiculous "2". I don't think this loop is happening in 2 ms.

I've tried pulling J205/J206 and jumpering pins to test these, but that doesn't seem to work. The switch matrix gets wonky in some of the J205 pins, maybe this is why.

Can anyone confirm if the Opto Made Loop switch is the one at the right side of the supercharger, and tell me how to test it so I can figure out if it is a switch problem or a board problem?

Video of supercharger speed test:

Photo of what I think is the switch that is erroring, and I can't figure out how to test if it is switch or board that is the issue.
What I suspect is Opto Made Loop switch, with some variable and mysterious number in the manualWhat I suspect is Opto Made Loop switch, with some variable and mysterious number in the manual

#2 7 years ago

The Pinwiki has some info on testing the optos: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Opto_Switches
" If the opto is good, measuring either solder joint of the opto should read about 12VDC as long as the game is turned on."

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The Pinwiki has some info on testing the optos: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Opto_Switches
" If the opto is good, measuring either solder joint of the opto should read about 12VDC as long as the game is turned on."

Oh that is sweet advice, thanks! I'll try that tonight.

2 weeks later
#4 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

So the voltages didn't match the expected numbers on Pinwiki for any of my opto, but the voltages for this opto just weren't there. I received new ones from PBR yesterday, and replaced both emitter and receiver tonight. Badabing. The switch now tests ok, as does the supercharger speed test (I have some tweeking to do here, in the 120-130 range).

Thanks for the guidance!

#5 7 years ago

Aaaugh and bleargh!! I now know that all my highest scores are bull! My best scores are when I make multiple loops with supercharger activated. I would keep hitting the supercharger for rounds of 5M/10M/15M, then 20M/25M/30M, etc. Now I know that I got multiple loops at a time because the machine couldn't count with that opto out. Now I only get 5M. The I have to hit it again for 10M, then again for 15M. It takes much longer to build up a big loop score, and really big scores will never be possible.

Maybe I should put the broken parts back. :p

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 72.50
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Trade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-switch-testing-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.