pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Getting error messages "check opto switches 81,82,83 & 85." These are the 3 supercharger optos and the last opto made switch.
The game is blowing fuse 103. I tracked it down in the manual and have determined the fuse will only blow if any or all of the superchargers coils are connected. If however I disconnect connector J6 on the accelerator board fuse 103 will not blow even if one or all supercharger coils are connected.

Connector J6 is for power and drive to the supercharger coils. I'm kind if stuck on what to do next. Check continuity of the J6 wires to the supercharger coil wires? Any help would be appreciated . Thanks.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Forgot to mention I did try and swap a known good accelerator board but did not help. The boards LEDs 3 are not coming on which I'm pretty sure they should. If it's sending power to the coils the lights should be on .. I am getting 73 volts at each connector that need to get plugged into the supercharger coils. This should be only 50 volts according to the manual.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

I am getting 73 volts at each connector that need to get plugged into the supercharger coils. This should be only 50 volts according to the manual.

This is normal. With J6 disconnected check for continuity to ground on pins 1,2 and 3. One of these pins is shorted to ground causing F-103 to blow. Let us know which pin it is.

#4 6 years ago

Hi Grumpy. With J6 disconnected and game power off I put VOM ground lead on ground strap. The red lead I placed on each J6 pin on board. I am indicate. No resistance. I also noticed J 5 connector is now black. It was not like that when I swapped it in but the board I took out had the same burm area .

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Hi Grumpy. With J6 disconnected and game power off I put VOM ground lead on ground strap. The red lead I placed on each J6 pin on board. I am getting No resistance. Reads infinite. I also noticed J 5 connector is now black. It was not like that when I swapped it in but the board I took out had the same exact burn area .

#6 6 years ago

On accelerator Board with game on J6 pins 1,2,3 I am reading 74 volts for power to coils. J6 pins ,5,6,7 which is coil drive is reading basically nothing. Millavolts. I'm guessing coil drives are the power for optos.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is normal. With J6 disconnected check for continuity to ground on pins 1,2 and 3. One of these pins is shorted to ground causing F-103 to blow. Let us know which pin it is.

Getting no continuity on these three pins . What should I check next?

#8 6 years ago

Did some research and I need to get the optos working for supercharger cooks to work but don't know how to fix the optos. 12 volts are leaving the accelerator board but I have no voltage at the optos .

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

I also noticed J 5 connector is now black. It was not like that when I swapped it in but the board I took out had the same burm area .

It looks like you will need to repair 2 boards now.

#10 6 years ago

Find out which of the 3 big Tip36 transistors are shorted. The corresponding magnet coil will have a short or very low resistance.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Find out which of the 3 big Tip36 transistors are shorted. The corresponding magnet coil will have a short or very low resistance.

Ok will do. How do I do that? Set on ohms and check to see if have continuity between transmitter top and the legs? What's weird is I swapped in a known good accelerator board .. But ok . Thanks Grumpy

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

It looks like you will need to repair 2 boards now.

Oh I get it ... You're saying I damaged the known good board when I installed it. Damm

#13 6 years ago

I put black lead on cab ground strap and red lead on center leg of all TP 36 transisstors. Q9 beeped for continuity. The other transistors did not. Did same thing on spare board outside the game. None of those transistors beeped. I ohmed all three supercharger coils. They all read approx 3.3 ohms.they all beeped for continuity and no short.

#14 6 years ago

Accelerator board seems to have Q9 controlling supercharger #2 but they are all reading same ohms. I'll recheck them.

#15 6 years ago

Accelerator board schematic has Q9 controlling #2 supercharger coil but all coils are reading pretty much the same ohms...

#16 6 years ago

All coils reading 3.3 or 3.2 ohms.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

All coils reading 3.3 or 3.2 ohms.

Have you check ohms from each wire on j6 to ground?

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Have you check ohms from each wire on j6 to ground?

Used cab ground strap for black meter lead. Red lead to each J 6 wire at connector. Reading O.L. At all wires.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#19 6 years ago

So lets just say that the magnets are fine and that the original board has a problem that causes mag #2 to stay on to long which then blows Q-9, this then blows the fuse F-103. Ok now you put in a spare board and the same transistor blow, there must be something wrong with the magnets or wiring to the magnets.

#20 6 years ago

Interesting. I have a spare magnet / opto harness. I connected it yesterday and F103 still blew. This tells me the harness shouldn't be the problem. I have two spare magnets. Maybe I could try switching them out but fuse will blow if any magnet is blipped in with j6 connected.

#21 6 years ago

Also the original board Q9 is not showing as shorted... Crazy. ..

#22 6 years ago

Does F103 supply 12volt power to the accelerator board?

#23 6 years ago

I'll look over the J6 wiring up to the coil/opto harness...

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Also the original board Q9 is not showing as shorted... Crazy. ..

This was out of the pin. Test middle pin to the right pin? What do you get for ohms?

#25 6 years ago

I have both boards out of the machine. Can you tell me exactly how to test the transitors? I think I am doing it incorrectly.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Does F103 supply 12volt power to the accelerator board?

No, it supplies 75 volts just for the magnets.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Can you tell me exactly how to test the transitors?

Check ohms from pin 2 to pin 3.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#28 6 years ago

O.L from pins 2 to 3 on all of the TIP 36. This means they are good correct?

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

This means they are good correct?

Maybe. Online scats are blurry so I think you need to test D-9 and Q-5.

#30 6 years ago

Q9,Q6,Q3 all read OL from leg 2 to 3.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I think you need to test D-9 and Q-5.

This is the predriver Tip 102 and diode for Q-9.

#32 6 years ago

Ohh. Oops. Ok.

#33 6 years ago

I will follow your PM instructions. Thanks for your efforts and hopefully it function again.

1 week later
#34 6 years ago

Accelerator board needed repaired. Also Had too many mods running off j 118 . Repinned J-118 connector . Repinned accelerator board connectors. Thanks to Pinsider Grumpy optos and supercharger coils are working. Hope this helps someone .

4 years later
#35 1 year ago
Quoted from MJW:

Had too many mods running off j 118

Thanks this tip helped solve my issue.

2 months later
#36 1 year ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Thanks this tip helped solve my issue.

That’s awesome!!

Great to hear. Love this game.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from MJW:

That’s awesome!!
Great to hear. Love this game.

Separate power supply is the way to go.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 72.50
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball
Boards
5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
3,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Coalinga, CA
Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-supercharger-problem-please-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.