(Topic ID: 264593)

Getaway Supercharger Opto Switch 82 Not Working (Circuit Issue)

By BroMike

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Opto (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hey guys, a while back I received an error about Opto Switch 82 being stuck open. I've been playing it for a while but now trying to fix it. I've done some basic troubleshooting, all optos transmitters have 1.39v and all receivers have 13.5v when "open". I switched a couple transmitters/receivers and still get the message. Even if I directly jumper a piece of wire the back of receiver opto on 82 it doesn't do anything so I'm pretty sure it's a circuit issue (81 and 83 both close when I jumper them). Tonight I socketed the LM339's on the accelerator board and installed new LM339's but still now luck (got the idea for that here - http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wpc/index3.htm#opto). Also swapped out the U20 chip on the MPU just in case but still no dice. Not really sure what I should check next. Any ideas?

#2 4 years ago

Interesting. You've already tried the simple stuff such as replacing optos and LM339s. Perhaps there is an issue on the MPU? What happens when you manually jumper the switch closed from the MPU connectors?

#3 4 years ago

So did a few more things to find out what's going on but still can't figure it out.

1. Swapped my Fish Tales MPU board and still getting the same error.
2. The LED on the Accelerator board lights up if I manually block the opto which I'm assuming means the board is reading the input correctly.
3. If I take the switch connectors off the MPU and manually jump it then it works.
4. If I keep the switch connectors connected to the MPU and jump it, Opto 2 works but behaves differently then Opto 1 or Opto3. Opto 2 opens and closes the same way it does when I have the connectors removed, but Opto 1 and Opto 3 come back with a Ground Short Row error for all opto's except for Opto 2 which I'm assuming Opto 2 should also come back with if it was working properly. (Pic Below)
5. If I disconnect the J2 jumper from the Accelerator Board then all 3 opto's open and close when I jumper them.

Does anyone know how to test the switch output of the Accelerator Board? (J2 connector I think)

Thanks,
Mike

Opto (resized).jpgOpto (resized).jpg
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4 4 years ago
Quoted from BroMike:

So did a few more things to find out what's going on but still can't figure it out.
1. Swapped my Fish Tales MPU board and still getting the same error.
2. The LED on the Accelerator board lights up if I manually block the opto which I'm assuming means the board is reading the input correctly.
3. If I take the switch connectors off the MPU and manually jump it then it works.
4. If I keep the switch connectors connected to the MPU and jump it, Opto 2 works but behaves differently then Opto 1 or Opto3. Opto 2 opens and closes the same way it does when I have the connectors removed, but Opto 1 and Opto 3 come back with a Ground Short Row error for all opto's except for Opto 2 which I'm assuming Opto 2 should also come back with if it was working properly. (Pic Below)
5. If I disconnect the J2 jumper from the Accelerator Board then all 3 opto's open and close when I jumper them.
Does anyone know how to test the switch output of the Accelerator Board? (J2 connector I think)
Thanks,
Mike[quoted image]

Is there a diode on the board? Sometimes if the LM339 goes bad, the diode ahead of it goes bad and can give the ground short error

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Is there a diode on the board? Sometimes if the LM339 goes bad, the diode ahead of it goes bad and can give the ground short error

Yep, there are 12 diodes on the board and all tested good. I'm thinking about replacing them anyways (at least the one that's in the circuit with opto 2).

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from BroMike:

Yep, there are 12 diodes on the board and all tested good. I'm thinking about replacing them anyways (at least the one that's in the circuit with opto 2).

Good idea, just swap it and if it has a capacitor, change it if you can, although usually they are good.

Are you able to jumper the MPU header pins that are in the switch matrix to eliminate a bad chip on the MPU?

2 years later
#7 1 year ago

People always ask for help and finaly don't post solution for people who maybe get the same problem. Please catch it up

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Trade
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
3,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Coalinga, CA
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 20.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 49.99
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-supercharger-opto-switch-82-not-working-circuit-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.