Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by pinstyle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have an odd issue, odd to me because I cant' find the culprit, it's most likely due to my lack of advanced electronic knowledge.

Williams Getaway, supercharger stopped working one day..

Found blown fuse (F103)
Replaced fuse, blew again.

Took fuse out and ohm'ed both terminals out to ground and there was no resistance on the top side (side that feeds the wiring to the board), therefor, ground issue. Traced that side of the fuse to the purple and green wires which trace back to the supercharger board on the underside of the playfield. Pulled board out and found that I had no more ground issue at the fuse terminal, now it seems board related. Found the center TIP36C transistor was shorted out (ground to both lugs). So I thought it might be a transister that went, due to age or whatever. Bought a couple new transistors and installed one tonight, and the same thing happened, fuse blew, as well as transistor..

Wierd thing, when I remove the blown transistor, there is no more ground issue anywhere, pin to pin, 50v pin to ground, fuse to ground, nothing. Ok, so what causes my transistor to blow as well as the fuse, and why is the fuse not protecting the transistor..

Any input?

#2 8 years ago

Whats the number of the transistor (Number on PCB) ? Q?

Isn't the transistor driving a coil ?
Probably the coil is shorted

#3 8 years ago

Have you checked the other components on the board?

#4 8 years ago

Can you:

Replace bad components on magnet driver board. Disconnect magnets.
Power up and see if fuse survives.
Reconnect the two magnets associated with the transistors that don't blow.
Power up and see if fuse survives.

Investigate remaining magnet.

#5 8 years ago

Transistor number Q6. It seems to drive 50V to all 3 magnets. I've checked the other transistors on the board and they seems fine, not sure how to test the rest of the components. Not sure how to test the magnets either.

1 week later
#6 8 years ago

Bump

#7 8 years ago

Check the schematics for the board that drives the magnets. I don't remember off hand but the transistor circuit for each magnet needs two inputs to stay high I believe. If any one goes low, the magnet turns on, and stays on and blows the transistor. I had this problem with mine a while back. It turned out to be the "enable" line that comes from the driver board in the back box. The cable was bad which basically ment that the high signal from the driver board in the back box dropped out, the result was the transistor getting stuck on. Could be your problem....

I believe the game was designed this way so you could enable and disable each three magnets from the diagnostic for testing purposes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 20.00
$ 72.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-supercharger-ground-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.