Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Brewchap
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I've had this problem once before with static in the sound and I re-seated the ribbon cables and that seem to have fixed the problem. Now that trick don't seem to work. How can I fix this once and for all?

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

I've had this problem once before with static in the sound and I re-seated the ribbon cables and that seem to have fixed the problem. Now that trick don't seem to work. How can I fix this once and for all?

Happens in all orchestrations (assuming you've tried different ones)? Most common issue for things like this is not having a reliable 5V feed to the board. If you check the config file on the USB what 5V ranges does it provide?

#3 1 year ago

I don't have a pinsound or any other card than the stock audio board. There's not a USB port on there is there?

#4 1 year ago

It seems that the music is fine if I pull the ribbon cable, but the call outs and sound effects are gone. Connect the ribbon cable back up and the static comes back.

#5 1 year ago

I’m sorry, I completely read PinSound into your post somehow. I don’t have my original board anymore so not sure ho to diagnose this one.

#6 1 year ago

I found this information on PinWiki and I'm going to give it a try.

6.29.5.6 Popping, Scratchy Sound, Very Hot
LM1875 Heat Sink, or Shorted Speakers

Sometimes, the tantalum/ceramic caps in the amp circuit fail too. This can result in too much AC "ripple" feeding the amp as well as DC output to the speakers, which they do not like. The following components are all suspect...

C20 (10µF, 20V tantalum)
C46 and C47 (both 1µF, 35V tantalum)
C22 (22µF, 35v electrolytic)
C23 (.22µF, 10V, ceramic)

#7 1 year ago

I'm with the wiki here.

The audio amplifier is probably too hot to touch (warning, you can burn your finger!).

Right in front of the audio amplifier chip are some yellow tantalum capacitors. They fail by incinerating themselves, and I've had half a dozen of these caps in this kind of sound board fail in the last year or so.

Sound board repair is... challenging.

You might get lucky and just have to replace the LM1875. You might only have to replace the incinerated yellow tantalum capacitor you find. (Hehe)

But most of my repairs have been more than that, and some of the boards I've fixed myself, a lot I've sent off to people with better board repair skills than I have.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

#8 1 year ago

So far, since I took the board out, it has been working great. When it was out, I did push down on the chips that was in a socket and I could hear them resetting from the cracking and popping that was going on

Still have parts coming in, but I'm not ready to replace anything until there is actually a problem that is persistence.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

I'm not ready to replace anything until there is actually a problem

Yeah. Don't fix what isn't broke!

It would be helpful if the capacitors that fail on this board would bulge, or leak electrolyte before they failed, but sound board repair is tough.

I'm really glad that your board works now!

Randy Fromm (Video and pinball repair technician and teacher...) says:

I can't tell you how many times I've pulled a board, touched things, and it starts working.

I call it a 'FM' fix.

Freakin' Magic!

3 weeks later
#10 1 year ago

Well, board started acting up again. I replaced 3 47µF capacitors in the sound circuit; C15, C36, and C38. Lets see if will act up again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 20.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
Trade
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-static-in-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.