Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Slim64
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Been digging into the getaway i recently picked up. Almost all of the 89 flashers were burned out. After replacing and going through the test to make sure they all work my left bank flasher(s) dont come on.

I swapped bulbs, i have continuity from both the red/white wire socket to the board and the blue wire to J126-6. I have continuity from the connector to the middle leg of Q30 transistor.

Ive read/watched a couple videos about testing transistors and Q30 seemed to check out with a reading of .55 across both legs to center.

Am i missing something? I seem to read a lot about transistors shorting "on" but never off. is it possible/likely thats the case? What commands the transistor "on" is it possible that failed?

When in diode mode on the meter and i go from the body to the left leg the flasher does come on. so im assuming the board circuitry out to the flasher is ok.

Thanks for any help!!

#2 9 years ago

Tried a new socket yet?

#3 9 years ago

Sockets are good, (there is a second flasher daisy changed to the first socket) when i cross the left leg and body of the transistor with the meter in diode mode they both light up.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

When in diode mode on the meter and i go from the body to the left leg the flasher does come on.

You should not be testing in diode mode with the game on--although the fact the flasher comes on when you do this points towards the board being the problem.

Q30 is a TIP102 so the reference point is the left leg rather than the middle leg. See the following info (towards the bottom it covers how to test a TIP102). Game off when you do this test.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/tutorials/120-electronics-tutorial-transistors

#5 9 years ago

I agree its not the smart thing to do.

Thanks for the link. reading up on it now.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

I agree its not the smart thing to do.

Not just that it's not smart, you won't get any readings of value.

#7 9 years ago

I guess i forgot that part.

the readings i gave in my first post were with the board out of the machine on the workbench.

I didnt take readings with the machine on, just crossed the legs to see operation of the light to verify wiring/connections and sockets.

#8 9 years ago

Thanks again for the link Terry. Per instructions, this is what i got

Reading from Left (red) to center (black) .575
Reading from Left (red) to right (black) .609

Reading from Left (black) to center (red) 1.93
Reading from Left (black) to right (red) .893

Reading from Middle (black) to Right (red) .408
Reading from Middle (red) to Right (black) 1.6+ (value would slowly climb from .1 up to 1.6)

I did this test on Q30 and then also on Q32. both sets were almost identical.

#9 9 years ago

Probably about right for the transistor in-circuit (of course that is not a definitive test). Are you comfortable taking some voltage readings while the game is on?

#10 9 years ago

Yes.

I also looked at the schematics, and it looks like Q29 is what "turns on" Q30. using the link you provided i tested that as well and it checks out.

Looks like farther upstream is the IC and then the cpu board

#11 9 years ago

#$%*$#&$&@...

Now it works...

Im sure its not "fixed" i wonder if when i was crossing legs with the power on it messed with something. Since all the other testing was done power'd down.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

#$%*$#&$&@...
Now it works...
Im sure its not "fixed" i wonder if when i was crossing legs with the power on it messed with something. Since all the other testing was done power'd down.

I'd say a loose wire or you've got an intermittent connection on your CPU board.

#13 9 years ago

I think youre right on the board. Probably going to pull it out again this weekend and go over all the solder joints.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

That shouldn't make any difference.

Could be connector (clean it with some DeOXIT), cold solder joint on the board (reflow the connector) or a flaky connection at the IDC connector (tug on them lightly and see if they come loose). If you want to tempt fate try wiggling the connector while the flasher is on.

#15 9 years ago

Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 20.00
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-single-flasher-inop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.