Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by nutty
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20181001_225507 (resized).jpg
20180927_225830 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pellew.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Inspired by the Getaway RPM mod by kyle5574 I did my own implementation of this mod. Since I own 4 games using the WPC boards I would like to do something that was not just aimed at The Getaway. But in order to test the setup I made a "clone" of the RPM mod.

The setup consists of 2 boards;
1. The first board is connected to the ribbon cable between the WPC CPU board and the driver board. I've just added a third ribbon connector to the cable that attaches to the bottom side of the circuitboard. It only needs one supply; 5 Volt that is easily taken from J116, J117 or J118. This board is generic and should fit all WPC boards, at least to my knowledge. The board reads all the solenoid, flashers and the entire lamp matrix and decodes and transmits this via an isolated CAN bus. As soon as any status is changed (for instance a solenoid or decoded insert lamp is switch on or off), a CAN packet is triggered and sent. This makes it possible to know exactly what is driven from the driver board and exactly when different events takes place. The software on this board should not need to be changed even when moving between games.
2. The second board is located wherever needed and can be feed from either J116, J117 or J118 (+5V, +12V and ground) or a separate power supply. This is then connected to the CAN bus of the generic board. This board is a bit more tailored for The Getaway because it has 2 outputs for driving the RPM gauge and shiftlight and 1 output for controlling the LED stripe. This could of course be used to drive 2 flashers or something else if used in another game. This board has the logic for checking the incoming CAN packets and handle status of the insert lamps and flashers/solenoids to deciced how to control the RPM gauge and LED stripe. Right now the RPM gauge is set to reflect the RPM on the playfield and so is the shift light. The LED stripe is set to alternate between red and blue when the mars lamp is activated.

I would be able to make some of these boards if someone is interested. The problem is if someone would like to change the code in board number 2 it would need to be written from scratch since I'm not able to supply the source code as of now. But board number 2 could also be something else that is able to communicate via CAN. For instance a Raspberry Pie or Arduino with a CAN shield. This would make it possible for others that have the time and skills to make their own mods together with my generic board. I'm more then happy to share the CAN specification for the generic board so that it is possible to know how to interpret the data.

Here is two videos of board number 2 and the RPM gauge and LED stripe in action:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hyJHVtShGGgtsp34AV1AO6Dv90EmBa0r
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nfb3BLwWAzbJngHWQT7eAv6ynvY8qARV

Any ideas for mods for my other games; Corvette, Bram Stoker's Dracula or The Machine: Bride of Pinbot or just let me know what you think!

20180927_225830 (resized).jpg20181001_225507 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 34.95
Electronics
PinSound
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pellew.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside