(Topic ID: 211985)

getaway right flipper switch restarts machine.

By Kazak

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by NPO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

getaway right flipper switch restarts machine. eos switch is ok which i figured out by moving the flipper manually. I assume it's some kind of short but where do I begin to look. i'm a novice to pinball's but as a sound engineer i understand troubleshooting and basic electronics. any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

Is this during game play ? If so I'd start with the diodes on the right flipper coil.

Your game is fliptronics, so forget EOS. Something major would have to be screwed up for it to bother the machine.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Is this during game play ? If so I'd start with the diodes on the right flipper coil.
Your game is fliptronics, so forget EOS. Something major would have to be screwed up for it to bother the machine.
LTG : )

it also happens in switch test mode. thanks... i will check diodes

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Kazak:

it also happens in switch test mode. thanks... i will check diodes

Resets are complicated, I had a similar issue but my problem was the thermistor which is a fairly involved fix.

Diodes are one part of the puzzle but;

Check for any lose connection blots on the boards to make sure they are tight and properly grounded.

Clean and constant inline voltage

Check your 5V is good

This link may help....

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

1 month later
#5 5 years ago

Not sure which diode to test snd where to find it. I have manual if you can specify where I need to check. Thank you kind pinball lovers.

#6 5 years ago

I fixed my Getaway reset issues by tightening a loose mounting screw on one of the boards.

It’s worth trying the easy solutions first.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I fixed my Getaway reset issues by tightening a loose mounting screw on one of the boards.
It’s worth trying the easy solutions first.

Thanks. Have reset all connectors across all boards. No fixed yet.

#8 5 years ago

Have you seen this potential solution?

http://www.kahr.us/daughterboard.html

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Very interesting, but as my machine was working fine I still think there's someting shorting somewhere.Your post seems to be fixing a design flaw. I think this is not design floor but component failure or a short. Thanks... I'm keeping at it but really would like someone to identify these diodes... part no, manual page, location etc.

On the fliptronic board After bridge rectifier? Part #?

hanks again my Gurus

#10 5 years ago

He meant the diodes at the Flipper coils! There are two of them across the lugs.

#11 5 years ago

Visually check the two diodes on the right flipper coil. Make sure they are not broken and are soldered securely to the lugs. Compare to the left flipper coil diodes.

You may want to post pictures of the right flipper coil.

#12 5 years ago

The right flipper fires two coils, correct? That could be enough current draw to cause the voltage drop that causes typical WPC resets. I’d go on to pinwiki and follow the steps associated with resets. Could be connectors between driver board and mpu, or any number of things mentioned on pinwiki.

#13 5 years ago

At the very least, I'd check my 5v value at the plug on the mpu board. If it's less than 4.95, it's probably a 5v reset issue.

4 months later
#14 5 years ago

Have checked diodes but now feel like an idiot. Both flippers restart machine! I'm sure it used to be just right, but it's been so long I'm not really sure anymore. My next move is to swap the WPC board with my one from TAF which I know works. Does this more accurate reporting of the diagnosis lead anyone to think of an obvious cause? I can't see any shorts. I've had the bridge rectifier, capacitor prob before but this is not like that. It's an instant restart when flippers are hit. I will reset everything with the replacement board as PinWiki suggests, but if you've had this specific issue and think you might know what's going on please let me know. Thanks for all your help so far everyone.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Kazak:

Have checked diodes but now feel like an idiot. Both flippers restart machine! I'm sure it used to be just right, but it's been so long I'm not really sure anymore. My next move is to swap the WPC board with my one from TAF which I know works. Does this more accurate reporting of the diagnosis lead anyone to think of an obvious cause? I can't see any shorts. I've had the bridge rectifier, capacitor prob before but this is not like that. It's an instant restart when flippers are hit. I will reset everything with the replacement board as PinWiki suggests, but if you've had this specific issue and think you might know what's going on please let me know. Thanks for all your help so far everyone.

That’s exactly how mine progressed. I followed the pinwiki troubleshooting steps, and solved the issue on step 2.

2 months later
#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

buy this product and your issue will be resolved !

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

buy this product and your issue will be resolved !

Temporarily.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Temporarily.

I'm at 3 years and no issues

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

I'm at 3 years and no issues

Come over to this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kahr-daughterboard-question-is-it-a-permanent-fix

Read such inspiring quotes such as:

Quoted from RatShack:

Not permanent. I added one and it fixed resets, later added a color DMD and now get them occasionally during long sessions. The power section definitely still needs attention.

Or this...

Quoted from EvanDickson:

Not a permanent solution. I've had 2 machines with the daughterboard that eventually started failing again, the solution was a proper rebuild of the power board (and the fliptronics board for good measure).
If you don't have the consider confidence and tools to do the rebuild, then the daughterboard is a great temporary solution tho.

Even Rob - the guy who built that "silver unicorn" that hasn't failed in your machine, yet - clarifies the board is not meant to be a fix to the reset problem:

Quoted from rkahr:

Mike,
I first was alerted to your post late yesterday but watched from the sidelines to let others chime in, but now I'll offer a few thoughts... If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend a review of the technical details on my website: http://www.kahr.us/index2.html . Note in particular the last sentence in the summary section that includes: "The power supplies still need to be maintained..."
To start, the WPC Power Fix is a permanent fix. But remember, my Daughterboard isn't called the "reset fix", so it is most decidedly not a permanent fix for the reset symptom experienced in WPC era games.

It will fail sooner or later, and then you'll have multiple issues to fix, and trust me - you'll have a lot less fun of a time diagnosing two reset issues than just one.

My TAF pulled that random reset stuff with one of these boards installed. I got burned believing it was a "fix all, end all" magic bullet. It's not.

I ended up fixing it by diagnosing the circuit and fixing the faulty part of the circuit that caused the resets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 20.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-right-flipper-switch-restarts-machine?hl=pinless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.